Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,729 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) (60701 Views)

NSCDC Caught 2 Persons With 30 Kegs Of Fuel In Ilorin (Photo) / EFCC Re-Arraigns Fugitive Yahoo Boy In Ilorin (Photo) / Armed Robbers Who Will Die By Hanging In Ilorin (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by GistConnect: 7:25pm On Jun 25, 2019
GistMore.com

Justice M. Abdulgafar of a Kwara State High Court sitting in Ilorin today convicted and sentenced an internet fraudster, Ajayi Temitope Charles to 35 years in prison without an option of fine.

A statement from EFCC says Charles was first arraigned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on March 13, 2019 for engaging in internet fraud.

One of the five count charges against him reads: “That you, Ajayi Temitope Charles, popularly known as Teresa Simons on or about the 27th of February, 2019, in Ilorin within the jurisdiction of this honourable court, with intent to defraud, had in your possession document, which you knew contained false pretence, and thereby, committed an offence contrary to Section 6 and 8(b) of the Advance Fee Fraud and other Fraud Related Offences Act, 2006 and punishable under Section 1(3) of the same Act.”

He had pleaded “not guilty” to the charges, prompting the commencement of his trial.

However, at the end of the trial, Justice Abdulgafar ruled that the EFCC proved its case against him, “beyond reasonable doubts”.

The trial judge held that: “The evidence of PW1, Olamide Sadiq was left unchallenged by the defendant, all the chats and text messages were printed from his email address in his presence.

“I have considered the testimonies of the PW1, this honourable court is of the opinion that the PW1 is a witness of truth, the Accused Person indeed was in possession of fake documents, and the prosecution has sufficiently linked the defendant to the email address.”

Delivering judgement, Justice Abdulgafar, further rejected as untrue, the testimony of the convict where he claimed that the Police brought him to the office of the EFCC on the day of his arrest following his inability to pay the money they requested for.

“The story of the defendant being sent to the EFCC because he did not pay bribe to the police could not hold water, he lied to the court, I do not believe the evidence of the defendant, and the prosecution has proved this case beyond reasonable doubt,” the trial judge said.

Thereafter, Justice Abdulgafar pronounced him guilty as charged.

Before sentencing, defence counsel, A.B. Bakare, in his allocutus, appealed for mercy, and urged the court to temper justice with mercy, stressing that his client was a first-time offender.

Counsel for the EFCC, Ola Sesan, however, opposed the request and urged the court to sentence him according to the provisions of the law.

“Going by the provisions of the Advance Fee Fraud and other Fraud Related Offences Act, the minimum punishment for this type of offence is seven years and maximum of 20 years, the court cannot use its discretion outside the same,” he said.

Justice Abdulgafar, thereafter, sentenced him to seven years in prison on each of the five counts. The sentence is to run concurrently.

See more here; http://gistmore.com/internet-fraudster-bags-35-years-in-ilorin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by DonX001: 9:03pm On Jun 25, 2019
Good!!!!
That is the kind of sentence these criminals and corrupt politicians should be sentenced to....without any option of fine.
Not all those rubbish 3 months and 6months jail terms.

But......those 35 years sentence are actually 5 "7 year" sentences which are to run *concurrently*, so he gets to spend only 7 years in jail.

That's still not too bad...7 years is enough to grow some sense in jail.
More of these pleeease!!!!

182 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by ojimbo(m): 9:03pm On Jun 25, 2019
Where are those Nigeria women that will always be the first to comment "more grace" or "I want to tap from your blessings"
They wont come and tap from the real blessing here

124 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by TooNoisy(f): 9:03pm On Jun 25, 2019
We need to come hard on this yahoo yahoo menace. It is ruining our image as a country.

I also hope that our thieving politicians will be given the same treatment or even worse!

188 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by victorazyvictor(m): 9:03pm On Jun 25, 2019
grin
Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by Kyrx(m): 9:03pm On Jun 25, 2019
lipsrsealed A whole 35 years, okay elementary Math here, 22years(probably football age) + 35 years = 57years shocked shocked
Jeez what a wasted life??

That Judge should've been merciful a bit na, I'm sad for the brother.

A big lesson to us all.

Edited: Thanks to everyone that pointed out that he won't be spending the 35 years behind bar but just 7years, whether rudely or in a Civic manner, we all learn everyday and I accepted my error.

82 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by lamideee(f): 9:04pm On Jun 25, 2019
grin
Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by KOLLYPROF(m): 9:04pm On Jun 25, 2019
Eleyi Gigi gan

1 Like

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by victorazyvictor(m): 9:04pm On Jun 25, 2019
omocalabar:
Y
phenom666:
D
TooNoisy:
s
ojimbo:
E

Is that the size of una brains?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by phenom666(m): 9:05pm On Jun 25, 2019
D

1 Like

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jun 25, 2019
angry
35 years! That's roughly 7 years!!!

7 years seems short but it's a very long time to eat prison beans

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by OKOATA(m): 9:05pm On Jun 25, 2019
7 years ontop wetin, why this judge wicked like this....

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by Charly68: 9:05pm On Jun 25, 2019
May God bless the no nonsense judge oo

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by liverpool72(m): 9:05pm On Jun 25, 2019
This reminds me when I used board in writing when I was in primary school and after submitting it the teacher mark all wrong then u carry face like zombie showing everyone ur score in class.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by BlueAir: 9:05pm On Jun 25, 2019
wow i dont pity fraudsters....if 35 years can be enforced as law....watch yahoo boys tell each other [dont call me a yahoo boy] in anger

19 Likes

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by elfiddy(m): 9:06pm On Jun 25, 2019
It says "concurrently" dumbass. That's 7 years!

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by mctfopt: 9:06pm On Jun 25, 2019
Ok na. Now I hope he leaves the fraudulent way of life after serving his sentence.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by brunofarad(m): 9:06pm On Jun 25, 2019
Nice

If these boys can invest same zeal in some tangible tech skill like app development... They had be making so much more legitimately.

But

What do i know

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by omocalabar(m): 9:06pm On Jun 25, 2019
This is too crazy....should be appealed asap...all these useless jugdes that gives 6months to politicians, but are quick to pass harsh judgement on youths.....

5 Likes

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by UD101(m): 9:06pm On Jun 25, 2019
Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by dPriv: 9:06pm On Jun 25, 2019
Kk

Check signature for these Brand New iPhone 6s 32GB in ILORIN; few pieces left .
Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by Googlelism(m): 9:06pm On Jun 25, 2019
7 years no be beans oo

3 Likes

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jun 25, 2019
This is justice but I wish it was consecutive. OP modify your post, it's seven years not thirty five.

2 Likes

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by Starboytwo(m): 9:06pm On Jun 25, 2019
I was there LIVE when they told him his money was 200k after illegally searching through his phone, they'd read every message from sms to WhatsApp, and then his "Google Hangout and automatically declared he is a Yahoo boy...

He offered 50k but they insisted on 200k, afterwords his family agreed on 100k but popo was insistent on 200k because they have seen his account balance...

His family got angry and decided to make a case against the police, hoping if they could prove that police was only after bribe, they could secure some favourable judgement, instead
it was a bad move.

Police decided to teach him a lesson by dragging the case with him...

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by IgiveLadiesBj(m): 9:07pm On Jun 25, 2019
angry
How much he collect sef
Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by IgweBUIKE1(m): 9:07pm On Jun 25, 2019
smiles hope this conviction is not for the media alone ...cos we know what this men in red can do
Re: Internet Fraudster Bags 35-Year Jail Sentence In Ilorin (Photo) by SarkinYarki: 9:07pm On Jun 25, 2019
The sentence is too harsh and suspect

Was the Judge high on tramadol?

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Graphic Photos Of The 30 Yelwa Zangam Residents Killed In Fresh Attack In Jos / Soldiers Killed By Fulani Herdsmen In Jos, Military Convoy Attacked (Graphic) / Drunk Man Beats His Wife In Ibadan For Refusing Him Sex (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.