Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,716 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

gine Code - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / gine Code (2888 Views)

Man Filmed Driving A Self-made Car On The Streets Of Lagos (photos) / Is Driving A Power Bike Really A Suicide Mission. / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

gine Code by dicksonadams(m): 8:21am On Jun 26, 2019
Yhb
Re: gine Code by dicksonadams(m): 8:22am On Jun 26, 2019
Pic
Re: gine Code by autologic: 10:34am On Jun 26, 2019
The code is an indication of issue with your catalytic converter which might be due to its absence or it is present and faulty .
You need to confirm first if exhaust system is still carrying the faulty cat and it is important that you remove this faulty cat and so as to prevent exhaust restriction In nearest future ,and the decision now lies with u now if u want to replace with good one or you want to make the exhaust hollow without cat and insert device that will address the P0420 code once and for all .
Absence of cat will never cause any drivibillity issues ,it is primarily for emission purpose and for reason of being environmentally responsible ,we must ensure cat is installed .
Yes cat is pretty expensive cos it is made up of precious metals
Re: gine Code by jodeci(m): 10:46am On Jun 26, 2019
P0420 is a catalyst related and will.not cause any drivability issue.However, your car will be louder and tastier.Expect a. Marginal increase in fuel consumption
Re: gine Code by autologic: 11:07am On Jun 26, 2019
jodeci:
P0420 is a catalyst related and will.not cause any drivability issue.However, your car will be louder and tastier.Expect a. Marginal increase in fuel consumption
I respectfully disagree about marginally fuel increase for 1zz Fe engine cos the research team in autologic have personally take the time to do test for that model of vehicle and their conclusion is that effect of removing of cat is not significant for fuel mileage and if a user notice considerable fuel decrease with P0420,
What is likely to be responsible are
1.Restriction due to presence of faulty cat which will trigger p0420 as well .
2.other latent issue issue that is yet to be diagnosed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: gine Code by AutoMoTech(m): 11:10am On Jun 26, 2019
jodeci:
Not in all cases.
In addition to Autologics suggestion, sometyms a failed post cat o2 sensor can also throw d code of a failed catalyst... though rare. so before you replace anything kindly diagnose and ensure your O2 sensors are working properly then U can either
1. Remove the cat and use an o2 spacers for the 2nd o2 sensor (this is d cheaper option)
2. Replace the catalyst. Difficult getting a new one so obviously it will be used. (There is no guarantee how long it will last)
My suggestion is you go for the first option. In the mean time you can drive your car without any fear.
Re: gine Code by thebigkendo(m): 12:18pm On Jun 26, 2019
autologic:

I respectfully disagree about marginally fuel increase for 1zz Fe engine cos the research team in autologic have personally take the time to do test for that model of vehicle and their conclusion is that effect of removing of cat is not significant for fuel mileage and if a user notice considerable fuel decrease with P0420,
What is likely to be responsible are
1.Restriction due to presence of faulty cat which will trigger p0420 as well .
2.other latent issue issue that is yet to be diagnosed

Same applies to 7th gen accord, no considerable MPG difference with or without catalyst.. except you have a restriction..
I drove for a year with a P0420 after I compared my MPG with a friends accord (brand new toks, with no MIL)

I later installed a spacer which cleared the code..Still no change in MPG

Legalwealth please come & screenshot my post for your WhatsApp fans grin grin grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: gine Code by dicksonadams(m): 12:26pm On Jun 26, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Not in all cases.
In addition to Autologics suggestion, sometyms a failed post cat o2 sensor can also throw d code of a failed catalyst... though rare. so before you replace anything kindly diagnose and ensure your O2 sensors are working properly then U can either
1. Remove the cat and use an o2 spacers for the 2nd o2 sensor (this is d cheaper option)
2. Replace the catalyst. Difficult getting a new one so obviously it will be used. (There is no guarantee how long it will last)
My suggestion is you go for the first option. In the mean time you can drive your car without any fear.

Thabks guys, please any reliable mechanic to help with the first option and and what can be the cost estimate
Re: gine Code by Lexusgs430: 12:44pm On Jun 26, 2019
dicksonadams:
Hi guru in the house, I recently saw a check engine Light and did a scan and found an error P0420 "Catalytic converter system, bank 1 -efficiency below threshold"

Car is a Pontiac vibe 2005.

I wanted to know if someone can still manage to drive the car despite this code, the mechanic I have asked around billed a huge amount that I can not afford yet.

Looking forward to any advice

It's either issues with your CC or 02 sensors......... Keep driving as is, you might not even notice the slight change in fuel consumption.......

Emission test are not conducted in Nigeria....... So keep destroying the so called ozone layer....... cheesy
Re: gine Code by autologic: 1:21pm On Jun 26, 2019
dicksonadams:

Thabks guys, please any reliable mechanic to help with the first option and and what can be the cost estimate
Contact my no and autologic will give u life time guarantee on the fix .

2 Likes

Re: gine Code by thebigkendo(m): 1:24pm On Jun 26, 2019
Lexusgs430:

It's either issues with your CC or 02 sensors......... Keep driving as is, you might not even notice the slight change in fuel consumption.......

Emission test are not conducted in Nigeria....... So keep destroying the so called ozone layer....... cheesy

Lagos State does oh grin grin

Legalwealth can i get another screenshot??
Re: gine Code by Lexusgs430: 1:29pm On Jun 26, 2019
thebigkendo:

So all those danfo's and lorries are emitting safe black smoke?...... wink

1 Like

Re: gine Code by thebigkendo(m): 1:38pm On Jun 26, 2019
Lexusgs430:

So all those danfo's and lorries are emitting safe black smoke?...... wink

Well you know as e dey be for nigeria.. na personal cars dem dey hammer for those kind thing

1 Like

Re: gine Code by Lexusgs430: 1:40pm On Jun 26, 2019
thebigkendo:

Well you know as e dey be for nigeria.. na personal cars dem dey hammer for those kind thing

So it's not tested or penalties imposed......
Re: gine Code by thebigkendo(m): 1:56pm On Jun 26, 2019
Lexusgs430:

So it's not tested or penalties imposed......

Sample inspection report
From https://www.nairaland.com/3968144/ten-requirements-pass-road-worthiness

Re: gine Code by Lexusgs430: 2:00pm On Jun 26, 2019
thebigkendo:

Sample inspection report

Ehen...... Nah die o.......
Re: gine Code by Lexusgs430: 2:02pm On Jun 26, 2019
thebigkendo:

Sample inspection report

Who enforces?

Also produce certificates of failed vehicles, not sample o......
Re: gine Code by thebigkendo(m): 2:46pm On Jun 26, 2019
Re: gine Code by Lexusgs430: 2:56pm On Jun 26, 2019
thebigkendo:

VIO enforces
grin grin www.nairaland.com/attachments/8460922_img201901091130086_jpegab59518237109b90b0a836e30ffb0b4a

From https://www.nairaland.com/4949356/vio-back-lagos-roads

So let's assume VIO stops me and i don't have my failed certificate. Would they have a record of my failed certificate or records?.....
Re: gine Code by Lexusgs430: 2:58pm On Jun 26, 2019
thebigkendo:

VIO enforces
grin grin www.nairaland.com/attachments/8460922_img201901091130086_jpegab59518237109b90b0a836e30ffb0b4a

From https://www.nairaland.com/4949356/vio-back-lagos-roads

This is impressive, if it is usually holistic and followed through........

Vehicles go reduce for road............
Re: gine Code by thebigkendo(m): 3:01pm On Jun 26, 2019
Lexusgs430:

This is impressive, if it is usually holistic and followed through........

Vehicles go reduce for road............

Unfortunately it is not.. Most of us them just pay inspection fee and get the certifate of roadworthiness without doing the inspection grin grin
Re: gine Code by Lexusgs430: 3:02pm On Jun 26, 2019
thebigkendo:

Unfortunately it is not.. Most of us them just pay inspection fee and get the certifate of roadworthiness without doing the inspection grin grin

Sending your details to VIO......... grin
Re: gine Code by thebigkendo(m): 3:02pm On Jun 26, 2019
Lexusgs430:

So let's assume VIO stops me and i don't have my failed certificate. Would they have a record of my failed certificate or records?.....

I no know oh
Re: gine Code by thebigkendo(m): 3:09pm On Jun 26, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Sending your details to VIO......... grin

My details?.. I say in Ogun state angry
Re: gine Code by codemaster2much: 10:46pm On Jun 27, 2019
Dude don't waste money buying a new catalyst converter, use a O2 spacer to solve the problem

It will clear the error watch the below video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qK92kHBzHI
Re: gine Code by dicksonadams(m): 4:31pm On Jun 28, 2019
codemaster2much:
Dude don't waste money buying a new catalyst converter, use a O2 spacer to solve the problem

It will clear the error watch the below video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qK92kHBzHI
In negative effect on the car engine and fuel usage?
Re: gine Code by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jun 29, 2019
thebigkendo:

Legal.wealth can i get another screenshot??
He dey screenshot post cheesy
Re: gine Code by MrFinbarr(m): 3:32am On Jun 30, 2019
Honestly, I don't know about you'll but I just resolved a catalyst issue on my 2006 Camry V6 and my fuel consumption have greatly reduced.

It threw up same code, we checked the manifold catalyst and it was hollow. I had to replace the catalyst and O2 sensor and my fuel consumption have been super awesome for this past one week.

So if you ask me, a non-cat car has tendency to consume more fuel.
Re: gine Code by obekediamondfuto(m): 3:18pm On Jul 01, 2019
MrFinbarr:
Honestly, I don't know about you'll but I just resolved a catalyst issue on my 2006 Camry V6 and my fuel consumption have greatly reduced.

It threw up same code, we checked the manifold catalyst and it was hollow. I had to replace the catalyst and O2 sensor and my fuel consumption have been super awesome for this past one week.

So if you ask me, a non-cat car has tendencyi to consume more fuel.

Very possible that using a spacer can also simulate the desired effect... But in an 03 Camry I4.... It impacts on fuel economy!

I don argue this thing tire bros.... Way back in 2017

I told people that IT CAN influence MPG....
Not because of google oh... I experienced it in my 03camry I4.... The one just in front of the radiator...
I didn't check for code... Just went to the mechanic after I discovered that my fuel expense tripled....

Mech did not do anything, I repeat.... Did not do any other thing other than direct me to a panel beater that installed it and voila..... It became normal....

I no fit argue again BRO... It's something I am sure of!
Re: gine Code by MrFinbarr(m): 4:37pm On Jul 01, 2019
obekediamondfuto:

Very possible that using a spacer can also simulate the desired effect... But in an 03 Camry I4.... It impacts on fuel economy!

Not because of google oh... I experienced it in my 03camry I4.... The one just in front of the radiator...
I didn't check for code... Just went to the mechanic after I discovered that my fuel expense tripled....

Mech did not do anything, I repeat.... Did not do any other thing other than direct me to a panel beater that installed it and voila..... It became normal....

That's exactly what my mechanic did. He referred me to the panel beater after we ordered for the Catalyst and O2 sensor, located just behind the radiator.

Now 1k fuel can take me where 3k fuel used to take me.
Re: gine Code by RealDannie(m): 10:08pm On Sep 21, 2019
obekediamondfuto:

Evening boss,

Please my camry 05 has the error codes p0420, p0142 and p0143

Kindly advise on the best option as the fuel consumption is killing now.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Camry Or Matrix 2005/2006 / High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. / Top 10 Most Reliable Car Brands

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.