Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,814 members, 7,817,360 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. (2252 Views)

How To Identify A Nigerian (pic) / Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? / Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by marjo: 4:16pm On Oct 07, 2010
I have noticed a certain trend among igbos outside the "core" ( whatever that means ) eastern states never wanting to be called igbo.Their names, culture and even language are obviously igbo and yet when you ask them what is your tribe, they say i am Delta Igbo, Rivers Igbo and all what not. Could someone pls explain this to me.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by udezue(m): 4:43pm On Oct 07, 2010
Many do. What planet are u in?
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by excanny: 8:31am On Oct 08, 2010
Identity crisis
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by vicenzo(m): 9:28am On Nov 19, 2010
Because they are myopic and thinks it suits their imaginary political ambitions,nevertheless,some of them dont deny their igboness because are wise.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by Cyberfreak(f): 11:26am On Nov 21, 2010
Q
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by Cyberfreak(f): 11:31am On Nov 21, 2010
P
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by excanny: 11:37am On Nov 21, 2010
Actually, it's not all of them in the SS that do so. We have quite a number of them that are proud of being Igbo, even here on NL. Chyz, Adabada, and a hosts of them.

Funny enough, there are some that are sitting on the fence. They are Igbo when it suits them.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:11pm On Nov 21, 2010
excanny:

Actually, it's not all of them in the SS that do so. We have quite a number of them that are proud of being Igbo, even here on NL. Chyz, Adabada, and a hosts of them. 

Funny enough, there are some that are sitting on the fence. They are Igbo when it suits them.
Abadaba is a delta man? And I didn't know there were undecideds, here on NL. Who are these 'on-the-fence' people?
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by excanny: 6:25pm On Nov 21, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Abadaba is a delta man?

He's from Rivers.

ChinenyeN:

And I didn't know there were undecideds, here on NL. Who are these 'on-the-fence' people?

I'm really not in the know of folks from the Etche clan disclaiming Igbo until i saw a dude here that posted he's  Etche but not Igbo. This is the kind of incident i was referring  to as sitting on the fence. I never saw it coming.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by ChinenyeN(m): 8:33pm On Nov 21, 2010
excanny:

He's from Rivers.
Oh really? Where from Rivers?

excanny:

I'm really not in the know of folks from the Etche clan disclaiming Igbo until i saw a dude here that posted he's  Etche but not Igbo. This is the kind of incident i was referring  to as sitting on the fence. I never saw it coming.
From my interactions, folks from Etche don't really disclaim Igbo like that, but they also aren't too keen on carrying that outright "Igbo" label, like that. That isn't to say though that there don't exist a few who outrightly disclaim "Igbo".
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by excanny: 10:17pm On Nov 21, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Oh really? Where from Rivers?

Ahoada

ChinenyeN:

From my interactions, folks from Etche don't really disclaim Igbo like that, but they also aren't too keen on carrying that outright "Igbo" label, like that. That isn't to say though that there don't exist a few who outrightly disclaim "Igbo".

Exactly my thoughts. They are not assertive in their denial like the Ikwerres, neither are they so keen on claiming an Igbo identity like the South-eastern Igbos. From my observations, i think there are quite a good number of such Igboid neutrals like that in Rivers state. They seem to have been very diplomatic with their identity by not pleasing or offending any of these 2 extreme groups.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:10am On Nov 22, 2010
Oh, so Abadaba is Ekpeye? Interesting. How come he rarely speaks of it?

excanny:

Exactly my thoughts. They are not assertive in their denial like the Ikwerres, neither are they so keen on claiming an Igbo identity like the South-eastern Igbos. From my observations, i think there are quite a good number of such Igboid neutrals like that in Rivers state. They seem to have been very diplomatic with their identity by not pleasing or offending any of these 2 extreme groups.
I've always liked the Echee (Etche) people's approach to this whole identity issue, but I guess that could be because I can relate most to that kind of understanding.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by ifyalways(f): 11:14am On Nov 22, 2010
@OP,why make a mushroom cloud out of a molehill?
The Igbos that have and do "identify" have enough problems already.Why wud anyone force down something like ethnicity on anyone?If someone is not comfortable as being addressed as Igbo,why shld anyone lose sleep over that
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by excanny: 11:49am On Nov 22, 2010
^^^

Well, the truth kinda be told sometimes for the future generation to know.

Anyone in the world is free to claim what he wants, but people still need to know the fact. Falsehood is dangerous.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by okeyxyz(m): 1:37am On Nov 25, 2010
i think it's a reaction to discriminiation from the south-eatern igbos. a fight back mechanism. this is not a generalisation though. there have been instances where a south-eastern igbo refers to non south-eastern igbo derogatively as not being real igbo. one instance comes to mind when an elder of the ohaneze ndigbo, one hypolite ogboko disputed the igboness of prof. pat utomi in 2007.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by excanny: 10:10am On Nov 25, 2010
^^yeah. You are quite correct. It used to be a bad practice by some south-eastern igbos in the past. I also grew up seeing some of my old folks referring to our ukwuani neighbours as 'fake' igbo. But i think that trend has been on the decline as the day goes by. Our parents may have misunderstood each other, but we must avoid doing the same mistake in this age when the world has become a global village.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by okeyxyz(m): 4:44pm On Nov 25, 2010
it's time we discard the foolishness of our fathers(with all due respects), repair the damaged but not lost relationships with our brothers & reunite the family. an igbo man is an igbo man , whereever he is, south-east or no south-east. period.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by ezeagu(m): 7:31pm On Nov 25, 2010
Denial of Igbo identity is dying. Fast.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by vicenzo(m): 11:07pm On Nov 26, 2010
Are there indigenious igbo people in benue,akwaibom and cross river states
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by ezeagu(m): 1:35am On Nov 27, 2010
vicenzo:

Old news.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by Omenani(m): 7:36am On Nov 27, 2010
vicenzo:

Yes
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by excanny: 12:16pm On Nov 27, 2010
vicenzo:

I think the question should be if they also see themselves as Igbos.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by AndreUweh(m): 12:48pm On Nov 27, 2010
There are Igbo people of Ndoki extraction in Etim Ekpo LGA of Akwa Ibom.
Personally, I have met a company rep. in London who is Igbo from Benue state. His surname is Okolobia.
I do not know about Igbo in Cross River, though all those communities on the Abakiliki-Ogoja road do speak Igbo. Ndigbo do not claim them as Igbo neither has Ohanaeze requested them to join the apex-Igbo body.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by vicenzo(m): 1:32pm On Nov 27, 2010
@andre.Thanks for the exposition,that was what i expected from ezeagu.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by saintneo(m): 1:41pm On Nov 27, 2010
how about Kogi Igbos
Eg Mercy Johnson Ozioma
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by AndreUweh(m): 2:33pm On Nov 27, 2010
saintneo:

how about Kogi Igbos
Eg Mercy Johnson Ozioma
Her mum is Igbo.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by okeyxyz(m): 2:35pm On Nov 27, 2010
Andre Uweh:

There are Igbo people of Ndoki extraction in Etim Ekpo LGA of Akwa Ibom.
Personally, I have met a company rep. in London who is Igbo from Benue state. His surname is Okolobia.
I do not know about Igbo in Cross River, though all those communities on the Abakiliki-Ogoja road do speak Igbo. Ndigbo do not claim them as Igbo neither has Ohanaeze requested them to join the apex-Igbo body.

Sunny Neji is igbo, from Ogoja Cross-River state
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by AndreUweh(m): 3:59pm On Nov 27, 2010
okeyxyz:

Sunny Neji is igbo, from Ogoja Cross-River state
Ogoja is not Igbo and the people in Ogoja do not speak Igbo as their first language.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by excanny: 1:14am On Nov 30, 2010
I've also noticed that some Anioma Igbos (especially those around the Usele-ukwu axis) hold the south-eastern Igbos in high esteem. More like the kind of respect African American have for Africans.

I wonder why this is so.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by AndreUweh(m): 8:42pm On Nov 30, 2010
excanny:

I've also noticed that some Anioma Igbos (especially those around the Usele-ukwu axis) hold the south-eastern Igbos in high esteem. More like the kind of respect African American have for Africans.

I wonder why this is so.

IN those areas you mentioned and in fact the entire Oshimili/Aniocha areas, they do not question their Igboness. Their dialects are also similar to Igbo dialects in Anambra state.
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by mafolayomi(f): 4:03pm On Dec 20, 2010
na wa, nigerians, to much trouble, even within undecided
Re: Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. by aljharem(m): 2:21am On Dec 21, 2010
@ op

there are a lot of igbo who do not deny there igboness

but some do because they are sometimes discriminated as osu

but all in all, it is a very small fraction that do that

@Andre Uweh

very mature answer smiley

(1) (Reply)

The Beauty Of A Woman / Fish With Human Body Found In Ibadan / Meet Olori Adebukola Ogunwusi, Wife Of Newly Crowned Ooni Of Ife(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.