Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

National ASUU Begins Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / National ASUU Begins Strike (5823 Views)

ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike / Breaking News: Imsu ASUU Begins Strike Today / South-east ASUU Begins Strike Over Pay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

National ASUU Begins Strike by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 07, 2010
Asùu national chairman in a meetíng yesterday stated the body will be on 3 day strike in commoration with its body in southeast over the unconcerned attitude of their state governors over funding of the school and 3 months old strike of south east state universities.
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by Dsense(m): 7:31pm On Oct 07, 2010
Good for d students ,At least they ll have lil fun bfore dey re called back grin grin grin
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by lollidam91(m): 7:53pm On Oct 07, 2010
Nonsense,y cant dey paste all d list b4 going on strike now
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by AloyEmeka5: 8:12pm On Oct 07, 2010

Varsity teachers begin strike on Monday

THURSDAY, 07 OCTOBER 2010 00:00 FROM LAWRENCE NJOKU, ENUGU NEWS - NATIONAL

IRKED by the alleged insensitivity of South East governors to the plight of lecturers in the zone, the national leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has declared a nationwide strike from Monday, Oct 11. It affects all universities.

“That will be the first in a series of strong and telling actions which will follow shortly after, the National President of ASUU, Prof. Ukachukwu Awuzie, declared in Enugu yesterday at a press briefing.

“For the avoidance of doubt and as a measure of our commitment to the struggle for the emancipation of the South East state universities in particular, and for the proper implementation of the Federal Government and ASUU 2009 agreement and the better funding of Nigerian Universities in general, the Academic Staff Union of Universities had directed academic staff in all Nigerian Universities to proceed on strike from October 11.”

Flanked by other officials of the Union, Awuzie stated that the three-day (October 11 to13) strike was in sympathy and solidarity with their colleagues, the affected institutions as well as students of the state-owned universities.

Academic activities have been paralysed since July this year in all state-owned universities in the zone following the inability of the state governments to meet the terms of the renegotiated agreement reached between representatives of Federal Government and leadership of ASUU.

Although governors of the zone had met on two occasions to discuss the over three months old strike, nothing concrete had been achieved as the meetings ended with them asking the teachers to go back to the classrooms.

Awuzie who lamented the ugly development stated that the governors had ignored the demands as well as the welfare of the generality of the people of the zone, stressing that ASUU would not renege in her effort to ensure the full implementation of the agreement.

He said: “The governors of the South East states have basically ignored the demands; they have completely ignored the sad and dangerous fact that over two hundred and fifty thousand of their youths have been idle, roaming the streets and merging with the hundreds of thousand other unemployed in the regions; they have ignored the fact that it is their duty to ensure that such a crisis never occurs; they have ignored the dangerous crisis completely and with impunity.”

Awuzie, who painted a gory picture of the situation of the state-owned universities in the South East said the rot arising from the criminal underfunding of the institutions was unmatch anywhere in the world.

In Abia State University (ABSU), according to him, staffing is utterly dismal as a result of conscious government policy not to attract or retain the appropriate staff in number and quality, adding that for a student population of about 30, 000, the university has only 63 professors out of whom only 32 are permanent members of staff.

For a student population of 21, 000, Anambra State University can only boast of five professors, four readers, and 49 lecturers, while government subvention to the institution had remained abysmally low.

With a student population of 20, 000, Ebonyi State University has 61 professors most of whom are borrowed either as adjunct or contract staff. At Evan Enwerem University in Imo State with a student population of 30, 000, there are only 32 professors.

While lambasting the Enugu State government for dragging members of the ASUU in its university to the National Industrial Court over the lingering dispute, Awuzie said the union was no longer ready to tolerate the situation and would engage Governor Sullivan Chime’s administration in a showdown.

Awuzie added: “It’s obvious that the political class in the South East has collectively failed their people. They include the governors, legislators at the state and federal levels, ministers and other government political appointees because they have all refused to ask the governors to address the problem. The interest of the people is completely abandoned.”

“ASUU wishes to make it clear to the governors of the South East and their conniving political associates that the crisis in their universities is one responsibility that they can neither shirk nor wish away. The current strike will continue as long as they compel it to, even if it takes them five years to make up their mind to either run their universities or totally abolish them.”

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25256:varsity-teachers-begin-strike-on-monday-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by djayxpro: 8:52pm On Oct 07, 2010
Wow!
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by dosko: 8:59pm On Oct 07, 2010
O ga oooo.!
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by Edithspecials: 10:10pm On Oct 07, 2010
South east governors pls do something
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by Nobody: 12:40am On Oct 08, 2010
Governor ohakim of imo state sins
1.replacing of vc with his kinsman
2.increasing of school fees 100%
3.overnight changing of university name
4.ordering school fees payment under 2 weeks to suspected govt account
5.inability to fund university even when fees are paid already
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by Excllncy(m): 11:29am On Oct 08, 2010
There certainly should be a better way of protesting instead of punishing students in other institutions. God bless Nigeria - God bless our President.
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by alex406(m): 11:35am On Oct 08, 2010
Why are the state Governors putting students in this condition? Its not a fair case at all,they should consider the poor ones afterall their own children are studing abroad.Its a wicked world!!!
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by SHEAU(m): 11:42am On Oct 08, 2010
mschewww! babanla nonsense angry
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by Bawss1(m): 11:44am On Oct 08, 2010
Big shame on all the South East governors! Despite the deplorable state of affairs in their universities they are still nursing their reelection ambitions.

T.A Orji and that Imo state clown of a governor. SHAME  angry angry angry angry angry
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by factbox(f): 11:46am On Oct 08, 2010
ITS SO SADDEN AND TERRIBLE  DAT NIGERIA UNIVERSITIES ARE STILL BEING RUN DIS WAY ,WELL NO MATTA HOW MUCH WE TALK AND WRITE I NO A DAY WILL COME DAT ALL THIS WILL SURELY BE IN HISTORY BUT PROBABLY NOT IN THE NEXT 300 YEARS BUT FOR SURE THE ONLY THING DAT IS CONSTANT IN THIS LIFE  IS CHANGE because WHATEVER THAT HAS A BEGINNIG MUST HAVE AN END {EXPIRY DATE}, EVEN THE ALMIGHTY GOD SAID IN THE HOLY BOOK THAT UNTIL U CHANGE URSELVES DO U THINK UR SITUATION WILL CHANGE.NIGERIANS ARE POPULARLY KNOWN AS MANAGERS WE TEND TO MANAGE EVERY SITUATIONS,SUFFERING IN THE MIXED OF AMPLE.END OF DISCUSSION,, NODS IN SHEER PITY.
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by Ayowumie(m): 11:53am On Oct 08, 2010
Excllncy:

There certainly should be a better way of protesting instead of punishing students in other institutions. God bless Nigeria .
I wish there were other ways of protesting, but there is none.

alex406:

Why are the state Governors putting students in this condition? Its not a fair case at all,they should consider the poor ones afterall their own children are studing abroad.Its a wicked world!!!
It is such a wicked world. And many of these politicians and the so called elite are beneficiaries of free education.
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 08, 2010
This is absolute madness. . The federal government has no power over state universities and it's exclusively the functions of the south east governors to finance their state universities.so why would they let other universities/students suffer what did not concern them ?
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by md4real(m): 12:27pm On Oct 08, 2010
too bad. so glad i am through with the shit hole called Nigerian universities.
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by Youngichou(m): 12:27pm On Oct 08, 2010
speechless
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by Bawss1(m): 12:36pm On Oct 08, 2010
~Bluetooth:

This is absolute madness. . The federal government has no power over state universities and it's exclusively the functions of the south east governors to finance their state universities.so why would they let other universities/students suffer what did not concern them ?

True this is unfair to students in Federal universities. On the other hand how else can effective attention be drawn to the plight of their state counterparts? Just asking.
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by McCoy91(m): 12:43pm On Oct 08, 2010
undecided undecided only 3 days sha. hope it ends there.
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by Goldenmeda(m): 12:49pm On Oct 08, 2010
nonense, 3 days indeed
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by slap1(m): 1:13pm On Oct 08, 2010
~Bluetooth:

This is to attract the much needed publicity to the strike. I've been at home for about three months. This is solidarity at it's best. I hope they resolve this soon. God bless ASUU!
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by otokx(m): 1:24pm On Oct 08, 2010
Shame to the eastern governors.
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by slap1(m): 1:32pm On Oct 08, 2010
In Abia State University (ABSU), according to him, staffing is utterly dismal as a result of conscious government policy not to attract or retain the appropriate staff in number and quality, adding that for a student population of about 30, 000, the university has only 63 professors out of whom only 32 are permanent members of staff.

This is absolutely correct! You need to see my English grammar and philosophy professors, they suck!
otokx:

Shame to the eastern governors.
Big shame!
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by olaOLUWAbalogun(m): 1:48pm On Oct 08, 2010
the students with sense will use their time for something more reasonable than the rubbish "B.Sc", B.Sc indeed
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by ebsuguy(m): 1:53pm On Oct 08, 2010
GOV. MARTIN ELECHI SINS
1. INCREMENT OF SCHOOL FEES
2. INCREMENT OF CONCESSIONAL FEE
3. INCREMENT IN ACCEPTANCE FEE
4. STOPS INSTALL MENTAL PAYMENT
5. BROUGHT CULTIST V.C (IDIKE)

Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by denony(m): 1:59pm On Oct 08, 2010
wow, what a mess grin
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by zilosxp(m): 2:05pm On Oct 08, 2010
Its really pathetic, i graduated from evan enwerem (imsu) since march, my name is on the computer list for the NYSC batch 'c' but we were just told last week,that as long as the strike is on,we aint going nowhere, infact the school is in complete lockdown now,no final clearance,no statements of result and when the call up letters finally come,no one will be there to give it to us, too much for being Nigerian!
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by oge4real(f): 5:52pm On Oct 08, 2010
This is totally unacceptable.
It is a pity that students fron south-East Universities have been at home for 3 months now, but I do not understand, why the whole federation has to suffer for the nonchalance of 5 Governors.
I can recollect sometimes federal students were at home and the state ASUU never did anything to support their course.

The whole nation should not collapse because of 5 states.
Did somebody just refer to IMSU as Evan Enwerem UNI?
How did Ohakim come up with such honour for a dishonourable man?
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by Johnpaul2k2(m): 6:03pm On Oct 08, 2010
~Bluetooth:

how is it madness when?what is meaning of that union(ASUU) you must protect ur brother no matter the circumstance.this is the only way to draw the federal govt very close to this particular issue. I am among this Batch C and we hav done nothing yet. Without this way,the Nigerian govt wil nt listen to Us!!!
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by usbcable(m): 6:06pm On Oct 08, 2010
This reminds me of the prayer of my Imam in todays jumat;
''May God give enable Leaders that would have the mercy of the masses in the hearts to get to posts of authority in the coming election.''
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by hassanb: 6:31pm On Oct 08, 2010
The south-eastern governors should talk about state university when they prepare for one, what a shame, i in personal cannot call that a university, it is not up to the standard of a playing ground, i wounder how the structures and facilities of such university will be and the worst part of it is that their graduates may be bragging around that they have attended a university, i urged that ASUU should look forward to the abolishment of such universities, what a shame!
Re: National ASUU Begins Strike by usbcable(m): 6:32pm On Oct 08, 2010
~Bluetooth:

and this is one of the reasons I like Unilorin soooo much.
they more or less have removed ''strikes'' from their vocab since I can last remember.
wish more schools will be like 'em.
and this ''strikes'' does nothing more than cripple our public schools while the private ones get better.
abeg no crucify me for my views ooooooooo.

(1) (2) (Reply)

School Of Nursing Entrance Exam Assistance. / List Of The 10 Hottest And Coldest Places On Earth (Pics) / Unilag 1st Class Degree : Cgpa 4.96

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.