Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,200 members, 7,829,290 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

I Have Lost Interest In School - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Have Lost Interest In School (21816 Views)

Good News If You Have Lost Your WAEC Certificate/result / Help....i Have Lost Interest In School (pls Hear My Story) / 18-Year-Old Boy Suspended After Proposing To His Teen Girlfriend In School In SA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have Lost Interest In School by nointerestinsch(m): 8:00pm On Jul 01, 2019
What you are about to read is the deluge from the heart of a broken National Diploma finalist in one of the Polytechnics in Nigeria. I am 20 years old. I have created a new account to share this, only my coursemates or people in my school would recognize me through this article.

The past week has been the most depressing week of my entire life; as much as I have been living with depression for the past few months, this week has been overwhelming.

I used to be the most-hardworking student I know. I was top of my class in ND 1. I ensured I finished all the textbooks of the courses we offered in each semester. In the euphoria of how well my hardwork paid off, my goal for ND 2 was to graduate with a Distinction, and top my class again. The way things panned out in my first year made me love how a student could be rewarded if the student puts in his or her best in studying.

Fast-forward to ND 2 first semester, I finished all the textbooks and made sure I understood the courses by self-testing and tutoring my colleagues – as usual. Our semester results are released at the beginning of the next semester. I never fret at the WhatsApp Broadcast of Facebook Post that a course result has been released. The first course (Entrepreneurship) result of last semester was pasted in the second week of resumption and I had a ‘CD’ – this was my lowest grade all through my stay in the school till date. I didn’t take it to heart as I didn’t study this course too well last semester and it was a 2-credit unit course.
But then, one week later, the result for one of my courses (OO COBOL) was released. I had an ‘F’. To put this in perspective, this is one of the easiest programming languages out there. Plus, it is an outdated language – already says a lot about the standard down here. I and a few of my coursemates were the best at this course last semester. I personally was getting paid to help fill practical manuals. It was basically one of those courses I wouldn’t need to study for prior to an exam the next day. I had an ‘F’. I’m not ‘clouting’, but the best grades in this course ironically belonged to people who would not be able to write a simple “Hello World” program using this programming language. I completely broke down at the sight of my name trailing to an ‘F’ on the result sheet. I immediately persuaded the few “good students” who also got “F”’s and were sure they did well to join me and go make a case to our Head of Department (HOD). I represented the group and told the HOD that this is not what we expect for a course like this. I asked if we could see our marked exam answer sheets. Would you believe it? He said the answer sheets have not been submitted to him, and that if I want a remarking, I would have to pay N15,000 to the school management or the remarking panel (or whatever name they try to scam us with). I was disgusted at these revelations. I mean, how can I be charged 15k for me to just get a chance to prove myself? 15k? Just to see and prove my own exam answers? This is an educational institution, and not a law court or the police station. The HOD said he cannot do anything about it, that we only have the option of going to ‘see’ the lecturer.

The lecturer had on several occasions, after the exam, related to the entire class through the class rep that each student needs to pay at least 7k or else you would fail. I ignored all of those because I thought they were threats and believed I did more than enough to get at least a “B”. It eventually turns out the lecturer wasn’t blabbing about it. I don’t know how I would be able to face myself knowing I paid to get a grade in school. I am at a crossroad. I am lost.

This is my ordeal. I have absolutely lost any interest and passion for school. For real, what is the essence of all my sleepless nights? Sacrificing trendy clothes and sneakers for data subscription and materials to do research? When, in the end, a fellow that did not even attend lectures will have a better grade because he or she has money to give the lecturer? Is this the way it has been from way back? Or did the standard just drop so low? Why have these lecturers taken pride in extorting other people’s pockets and suppressing bright minds? Why have they used money to promote waywardness in higher institutions? Why is money the determining factor of student’s grades and not the student’s academic performance fueled by unwavering passion for studying and learning?

These and many more unanswered questions are the reasons why I have lost all interest in school and education. Nothing actually interests me now. School is a total waste of precious time. People party all semester and show up to sign attendance on the exam day, then pay money to the lecturer to pass. It’s all money, money and more money! All these pot-bellied bastards destroying destinies and killing dreams! Would they do this to their own children?

I want to speak up, but I can’t. I am depressed. I am discouraged. I am tired. I want to quit school.

Thank you for reading up!

128 Likes 19 Shares

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by SLAP44: 8:04pm On Jul 01, 2019
Did you vote buharri in the last election?

71 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by Oluwasaeon(m): 8:14pm On Jul 01, 2019
SLAP44:
Did you vote buharri in the last election?
Lol. Which kine question be dat one

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by Nukilia: 8:41pm On Jul 01, 2019
Don't be sad, that's the way things roll in Hell... You'll end up becoming successful without the need of your school grades

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by tammyboy1(m): 9:03pm On Jul 01, 2019
depressed because of mere school grades.. mtchew, who told you those school grades will determine your future? you better think straight, first class graduates are still roaming the streets undecided

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jul 01, 2019
[quote author=nointerestinsch post=79850146]What you are about to read is the deluge from the heart of a broken National Diploma finalist in one of the Polytechnics in Nigeria. I am 20 years old. I have created a new account to share this, only my coursemates or people in my school would recognize me through this article.

The past week has been the most depressing week of my entire life; as much as I have been living with depression for the past few months, this week has been overwhelming.

I used to be the most-hardworking student I know. I was top of my class in ND 1. I ensured I finished all the textbooks of the courses we offered in each semester. In the euphoria of how well my hardwork paid off, my goal for ND 2 was to graduate with a Distinction, and top my class again. The way things panned out in my first year made me love how a student could be rewarded if the student puts in his or her best in studying.

Fast-forward to ND 2 first semester, I finished all the textbooks and made sure I understood the courses by self-testing and tutoring my colleagues – as usual. Our semester results are released at the beginning of the next semester. I never fret at the WhatsApp Broadcast of Facebook Post that a course result has been released. The first course (Entrepreneurship) result of last semester was pasted in the second week of resumption and I had a ‘CD’ – this was my lowest grade all through my stay in the school till date. I didn’t take it to heart as I didn’t study this course too well last semester and it was a 2-credit unit course.
But then, one week later, the result for one of my courses (OO COBOL) was released. I had an ‘F’. To put this in perspective, this is one of the easiest programming languages out there. Plus, it is an outdated language – already says a lot about the standard down here. I and a few of my coursemates were the best at this course last semester. I personally was getting paid to help fill practical manuals. It was basically one of those courses I wouldn’t need to study for prior to an exam the next day. I had an ‘F’. I’m not ‘clouting’, but the best grades in this course ironically belonged to people who would not be able to write a simple “Hello World” program using this programming language. I completely broke down at the sight of my name trailing to an ‘F’ on the result sheet. I immediately persuaded the few “good students” who also got “F”’s and were sure they did well to join me and go make a case to our Head of Department (HOD). I represented the group and told the HOD that this is not what we expect for a course like this. I asked if we could see our marked exam answer sheets. Would you believe it? He said the answer sheets have not been submitted to him, and that if I want a remarking, I would have to pay N15,000 to the school management or the remarking panel (or whatever name they try to scam us with). I was disgusted at these revelations. I mean, how can I be charged 15k for me to just get a chance to prove myself? 15k? Just to see and prove my own exam answers? This is an educational institution, and not a law court or the police station. The HOD said he cannot do anything about it, that we only have the option of going to ‘see’ the lecturer.

The lecturer had on several occasions, after the exam, related to the entire class through the class rep that each student needs to pay at least 7k or else you would fail. I ignored all of those because I thought they were threats and believed I did more than enough to get at least a “B”. It eventually turns out the lecturer wasn’t blabbing about it. I don’t know how I would be able to face myself knowing I paid to get a grade in school. I am at a crossroad. I am lost.

This is my ordeal. I have absolutely lost any interest and passion for school. For real, what is the essence of all my sleepless nights? Sacrificing trendy clothes and sneakers for data subscription and materials to do research? When, in the end, a fellow that did not even attend lectures will have a better grade because he or she has money to give the lecturer?

I feel your pain. This is a serious allegation and it's becoming too much in Nigerian schools. If you really need help, you should post this on the general thread where you'll be sure to get heard. Also call for it to be pushed to front page. You need to act fast. Something similar happened to me while i was in school but in my case, the HOD was responsive. My scores were corrected although i was sure more were tampared with. Still graduated with a very good grade. See, if you relax now and graduate with a bad grade, in future nobody will listen to or understand all these lecturer-failed-me story o.. Better act now. Shake off that silly depression.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by Sinach0191(m): 10:05pm On Jul 01, 2019
somebody like u dont need to study in Nigeria. School grade doesn't determine ur future Go nd hustle

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by Glowreey: 12:13am On Jul 02, 2019
My dearest bro, do not be depress cuz of ordinary school grades that won't determine ur future many 1st class are still roaming the streets just do all u can to finish up, don't let any1 or anything make u depress you are better than that, don't worry all those wicked lectures Dia end is close.. Be strong OK? �

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by Evangkatsoulis: 5:50am On Jul 02, 2019
nointerestinsch:
What you are about to read is the deluge from the heart of a broken National Diploma finalist in one of the Polytechnics in Nigeria. I am 20 years old. I have created a new account to share this, only my coursemates or people in my school would recognize me through this article.

This is my ordeal. I have absolutely lost any interest and passion for school.
pay the money joorh. As long as you are sure you know the course then you are good.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by nointerestinsch(m): 6:11am On Jul 02, 2019
Nukilia:
Don't be sad, that's the way things roll in Hell... You'll end up becoming successful without the need of your school grades
Thank you. That means a lot.

1 Like

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by nointerestinsch(m): 6:12am On Jul 02, 2019
tammyboy1:
depressed because of mere school grades.. mtchew, who told you those school grades will determine your future? you better think straight, first class graduates are still roaming the streets undecided
I know this, but isn't it high time we stopped this trend?

5 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by nointerestinsch(m): 6:13am On Jul 02, 2019
[quote author=Kweensavvy post=79853482][/quote]
Thank you. I'll try.
Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by nointerestinsch(m): 6:14am On Jul 02, 2019
Glowreey:
My dearest bro, do not be depress cuz of ordinary school grades that won't determine ur future many 1st class are still roaming the streets just do all u can to finish up, don't let any1 or anything make u depress you are better than that, don't worry all those wicked lectures Dia end is close.. Be strong OK? �
Thank you.
Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by sparog(m): 6:46am On Jul 02, 2019
All this challenges are too small to make you get tired of school cos you're still gonna face more than this when you're working even if it's your own business. This should toughen u up

Keep working smart and keep believing, never give up

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by GoldChest(m): 6:48am On Jul 02, 2019
Who school Epp

3 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by nony43(m): 6:48am On Jul 02, 2019
Some lecturers are devils themselves

1 Like

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by iCauseTrouble: 6:49am On Jul 02, 2019
h
Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by Benekruku(m): 6:49am On Jul 02, 2019
Lobatan!
Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by Craigslists: 6:50am On Jul 02, 2019
Lol

School na scam for Nigeria.

As long as you can read and write you are educated grin

What we have in Nigeria are not schools, they are breeding grounds for sex starved lecturers, oloshos and cultists.

Just use your school fees take buy lappy,
hustle and cash out big time,
then go abroad to have a quality education like the children of our yam eaters tongue

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by faithfull18(f): 6:50am On Jul 02, 2019
GoldChest:
Who school Epp
School help well well, It exposes one to more opportunities.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by BlueRayDick: 6:51am On Jul 02, 2019
U need not be depressed. Let me share my experience with u.

I was very bright. I got into the university and had a little above 4.0 out of 5.0cgpa scale in my first year. I knew I wasn't mediocre. Though at the end of the first year I was like the 3rd best in my department, but Still I knew I was young and getting it.

Fast forward to 200l I did a borrowed Compulsory course and result came out; I failed. I wasn't really disoriented. I knew something was amiss, but I didn't dwell on that.

I registered the same course in part 3, scored B and had the best overall result all rounder in 300l. After 400l I graduated as the best in my department; a little off first class. I mean I had a better result than those that never had F grade throughout the 4 years.

Today I'm doing well for myself.

It doesn't matter how u fall, what matters is picking urself up and doing better. Don't focus on who has wronged u or made u fail. U can drill yourself, study for that particular course in such a way way that for anybody to fail u, he would've committed academic suicide ( A lecturer once told me face to face in front of the whole class that I would fail his course, I ended up scoring 71 A in that course. He called me out later and said I am a crazy boy)

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by Floryangel8: 6:52am On Jul 02, 2019
Well don't be discouraged your course of study might not put food on your table. I read management but my source of income in farming, if I had given up in school for any reason I would have cheated myself big time. I know a family friend that read accounting but his source of income is electrical work. He gets contract even from government offices and does the work himself not hiring electrical engineers. Look inward and outward and beyond your course of study. Future is bright if you can enlarge your narrowed thinking

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by seunfly: 6:52am On Jul 02, 2019
nointerestinsch @ OP, Use your situation to demand change, we can't continue to do things in the same way. I know many will encourage you to either pay the money or quit the school, this is not the character of a true achiever, they let things dance to their tune.

A professor is facing serious jail term in OAU Ife because of a bold lady who does not go down easily. I will advice you to use the power of social media to your advantage by naming the school, the course and the lecturer, the school management will be forced to react and take corrective actions. However you need to be sure you are right and be prepared for the negative consequences that may come after that, but I can assure you that no matter the consequences u will come out better.

13 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by nairalee(m): 6:52am On Jul 02, 2019
Lolzzz you're funny and sound childish

Your headline made me scared. I thought something terrible happened

Just ordinary F is what's making u depressed

Yes I said Ordinary F

Read the biography of any successful man u know and see how many times they failed on their way up and realize how yours is just a pinch of salt

Infact your present Buhari did not even do ND 0 talkless of ND2 and he's ruling ALL OF US

Pls look forward in life. This has nothing to do wit you success in life

And if u claim u didn't know that lecturers use to collect bribe in Nigeria I must say Happy new Year. Ur day just dey break

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by SEGLIZ: 6:52am On Jul 02, 2019
none of us has ever had interest in school but by default we were made to believe without it we would remain nobody, we would become nothing and can never achieve a dime or damn thing.

5 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by frugal(m): 6:53am On Jul 02, 2019
nointerestinsch:

These and many more unanswered questions are the reasons why I have lost all interest in school and education. Nothing actually interests me now. School is a total waste of precious time. People party all semester and show up to sign attendance on the exam day, then pay money to the lecturer to pass. It’s all money, money and more money! All these pot-bellied bastards destroying destinies and killing dreams! Would they do this to their own children?

I want to speak up, but I can’t. I am depressed. I am discouraged. I am tired. I want to quit school.

Thank you for reading up!

Start a company.

1 Like

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by adoyi8: 6:53am On Jul 02, 2019
I don't know you but I understand what how you feel. I studied Computer Science in a polytechnic too and was in the same mood that you are now when my heavily accented Hausa lecturer gave me an F in English because I didn't buy her handout.

My advice for you is that you should try to continue your school then learn software development online that should be your 'Education' because the internet will help you learn Computer programming and your result will give you an advantage in getting a job .

8 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Interest In School by davillian(m): 6:53am On Jul 02, 2019
A man get to do what a man got to do.
Drop all those feelings
Do everything to get your grades back.
If it requires you to pay then pay

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Was Your B.sc Final Year Project Of Any Use To You During/after School? / Jamb Cut Off Mark / 100-level Student To Die By Hanging In Benue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.