Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,835 members, 7,813,788 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

I'm In A Serious Dilemma For My Future. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I'm In A Serious Dilemma For My Future. (1395 Views)

My Future Career Dilemma Csc / My Future Is At Stake! Expert Advice Needed / Dilemma Of A Striving Programmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm In A Serious Dilemma For My Future. by Genesiszero: 2:04pm On Jul 03, 2019
I have been a lover of computers from my childhood days, grew up loving them, and still loving them. After graduating from the secondary, I applied for admission for four times and was never admitted, but I decided to try a one more time and was admitted. I applied computer science and was admitted into department of mathematics. I've not actually been good with mathematics since primary school. I knew it well that computer is mathematics itself but that of computer is a logical mathematics that is applied to real life solving of problems. Unlike the normal mathematics we solve on the bored and ends up not having a physical life application. I just ended my first semester exams and then planning on going back to school. I have been coding for the past 5-6 years since the age of sixteen in fact, I even take some programing tutorials to some of my friends in computer science department. I thought myself programing and with the raw talent I'm me I learn code fast. I've been writing so many programs and currently building a CBT test system with some advanced features. This is my gift and talent, it's my call and I love programing. I want to apply for a change of course while going to 200L. I don't know if I have any chances of getting to my desired passion of career. I don't want to do what I don't have passion for as it will lead me to frustration given that the whole world is going digital now. I don't want to have any regret in life. I told myself That even if I graduated with a Bsc computer science and has no job, I'll feel fulfilled and accomplished as it's my passion and what I love doing. I made some contacts and some guys in school told me that it'll require a huge connection.

Please there nairalanders, help me in my career prospects.
Re: I'm In A Serious Dilemma For My Future. by SKhanmi: 2:46pm On Jul 03, 2019
You can be a programmer without the certificate. What they do in university is to give you an overview of the different aspects of computing. The rest is left to you. You'll be shocked to find few lecturers actually know programming much less teach it. There's a reason few people venture into it. But you've already exhibited the zeal & determination so my advice is for you to keep in touch with your computer science friends,start projects,join online programming forums,polish your skills while focusing on graduating with no less than 2.1.

In some schools,CS is joined with the maths dept,don't know about yours. It should be easy to change course easily. Go for it as long as it doesnt mean going back to re-write jamb.

By the way,start looking for ways to monetize your skill. Most Clients are interested in what you can do & not your paper qualifications/educational background. My qualifications didn't make me my first pay, my skills did. Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: I'm In A Serious Dilemma For My Future. by Genesiszero: 2:56pm On Jul 03, 2019
SKhanmi:
You can be a programmer without the certificate. What they do in university is to give you an overview of the different aspects of computing. The rest is left to you. You'll be shocked to find few lecturers actually know programming much less teach it. There's a reason few people venture into it. But you've already exhibited the zeal & determination so my advice is for you to keep in touch with your computer science friends,start projects,join online programming forums,polish your skills while focusing on graduating with no less than 2.1.

In some schools,CS is joined with the maths dept,don't know about yours. It should be easy to change course easily. Go for it as long as it doesnt mean going back to re-write jamb.

By the way,start looking for ways to monetize your skill. Most Clients are interested in what you can do & not your paper qualifications/educational background. My qualifications didn't make me my first pay, my skills did. Goodluck.

Thanks a lot brother, my school is also same yours (maths and computer together)! I'll try meeting with the cs HOD

1 Like

Re: I'm In A Serious Dilemma For My Future. by BoleAndFish: 3:05pm On Jul 03, 2019
It's not really about a strong connection. Just have a strong cgpa.
Re: I'm In A Serious Dilemma For My Future. by Genesiszero: 3:56pm On Jul 03, 2019
BoleAndFish:
It's not really about a strong connection. Just have a strong cgpa.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!
Re: I'm In A Serious Dilemma For My Future. by stanliwise(m): 4:03pm On Jul 03, 2019
SKhanmi:

If can't be patient with the current situation then don't stay.
Re: I'm In A Serious Dilemma For My Future. by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jul 03, 2019
Genesiszero:
I have been a lover of computers from my childhood days, grew up loving them, and still loving them. After graduating from the secondary, I applied for admission for four times and was never admitted, but I decided to try a one more time and was admitted. I applied computer science and was admitted into department of mathematics. I've not actually been good with mathematics since primary school. I knew it well that computer is mathematics itself but that of computer is a logical mathematics that is applied to real life solving of problems. Unlike the normal mathematics we solve on the bored and ends up not having a physical life application. I just ended my first semester exams and then planning on going back to school. I have been coding for the past 5-6 years since the age of sixteen in fact, I even take some programing tutorials to some of my friends in computer science department. I thought myself programing and with the raw talent I'm me I learn code fast. I've been writing so many programs and currently building a CBT test system with some advanced features. This is my gift and talent, it's my call and I love programing. I want to apply for a change of course while going to 200L. I don't know if I have any chances of getting to my desired passion of career. I don't want to do what I don't have passion for as it will lead me to frustration given that the whole world is going digital now. I don't want to have any regret in life. I told myself That even if I graduated with a Bsc computer science and has no job, I'll feel fulfilled and accomplished as it's my passion and what I love doing. I made some contacts and some guys in school told me that it'll require a huge connection.

Please there nairalanders, help me in my career prospects.
Take online courses at edx and plural sight forget these nonsense Nigerian schools or else frustration will kill you programming is a skill but I advise you to learn c#, Java and Python these ones are reigning now
Re: I'm In A Serious Dilemma For My Future. by adelnehis(m): 5:07pm On Jul 03, 2019
If you had chose private university the first time, you won't have this problem.

Y'all just cause unnecessary trouble for yourselves
Re: I'm In A Serious Dilemma For My Future. by Genesiszero: 5:40pm On Jul 03, 2019
adelnehis:
If you had chose private university the first time, you won't have this problem.

I wish I could, but I'm not privileged like you to attend a private University! But it'll please me if you'll suggest a possible solution! Thanks
Re: I'm In A Serious Dilemma For My Future. by trytillmake(m): 1:18pm On Jul 04, 2019
adelnehis:

Na everybody fit afford private uni.? back to OP if u can change to CS very good at least it will make u come out well in school but actually since u already in a science related course mathematics and if u feel yr gp will be affected by the change then stick to mathematics build yr gp continue with yr programming and come out wella with a good gp.
Bro it is not about CS but project u have done with wat u know do projects with wat u know. Employers wanna see wat u can do not degree that u came with, medical doctors are being employed as programmers so guy chillax.

1 Like

Re: I'm In A Serious Dilemma For My Future. by Genesiszero: 11:36pm On Jul 04, 2019
trytillmake:

Na everybody fit afford private uni.? back to OP if u can change to CS very good at least it will make u come out well in school but actually since u already in a science related course mathematics and if u feel yr gp will be affected by the change then stick to mathematics build yr gp continue with yr programming and come out wella with a good gp.
Bro it is not about CS but project u have done with wat u know do projects with wat u know. Employers wanna see wat u can do not degree that u came with, medical doctors are being employed as programmers so guy chillax.

Thanks a lot brother, I appreciate it!
Re: I'm In A Serious Dilemma For My Future. by holuphisayor(m): 6:03am On Jul 05, 2019
Take some computer science courses such as .
Object oriented programming, data structures and algorithms, operating systems etc

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Need Win32 Dasm / Help Needed Here Pls / Help I Am A Newbie To Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.