Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,779 members, 7,820,722 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? (12609 Views)

Major Oil Firm, MRS, Owes FCMB N6.2bn / Igbos And Hausas Who Are Richer / The Central Bank Of Nigeria - Owned And Controlled By 'the Rothschilds' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by adconline(m): 8:17am On May 10, 2007
Zenon Oil : http://www.zenonpetroleumng.com/ Femi Otedola,

Oando : http://www.oandoplc.com/ Wale Tinubu
Conoil: http://www.conoilplc.com Mike Adenuga
African petroleum : www.applcng.com Mr. Maigadi
Agip Nigeria Plc. The Otunba (Dr.) A. Ojora, Chairman

http://www.nigerianinvestor.com/

I feel that we need to have affirmative action in all major oil companies in Nigeria. Niger Deltans are not well represented in most of these companies. Whether we admit it or not, a northern director in a oil company is more likely to hire a northerner than a Niger Deltan.

I know that Nigeria is not good at copying examples. After Apartheid, South Africa introduced Black Economic Empowerment to integrate disenfranchised South Africans into its economic mainstream. Today, Cyril Ramaphosa heads a conglomerate in SA called Shanduka Group.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by gists: 9:18am On May 10, 2007
Sorry oo I stand to be corrected. But none of these coys is government owned. They're all private coys and the CEO has the right to employ who ever pleases him. Afterall its still a free world. If U setup an oil coy today and call it adconline oil or I setup "GISTS Peetroleum"  grin why should U & I be probed for employing only from a certain tribes especially when they're qualified and competent.

You'll be beter off to shift your investigation to DPR, NNPC and NLNG etc
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by hbrednic: 2:31pm On May 10, 2007
when we start seeing ourselves like nigerians,the better the future for us all.
nigerians running nigerian companies, employing competent nigerians,whats is the problem?
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by otokx(m): 3:43pm On May 10, 2007
its no secret that the yoruba and hausas have an over bearing influence in the oil sector. First, they insisted that all the oil companies have their headquarters in Lagos before they then moved them to Abuja. OBJ tried by allowing some of them to move back to the areas of operations. Look at Shell, Chevron, Mobil, Agip, Totalfinaelf, the same people running things.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by stranger12: 12:37pm On May 11, 2007
@ topic

Maybe its because almost half of nigerians are yoruba and hausas  undecided .
Last time I checked, they are 45% of the nigerian population.

tell Alams and some of his friends to start an oil company.
he can chose to employ his cousins if he wishes

Its a free world, silly ass grin
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by Seun(m): 12:46pm On May 11, 2007
I see myself as a human being. Igbo, Hausa, White, Black, whatever, as long as you are peace-loving, we are one.

When I'm ready to employ people, I don't think tribe will be an issue. If you can generate money, you are hired!
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by chrisokw: 12:59pm On May 11, 2007
All the oil companies you mentioned are mostly retail outlets in the downstream sector. None is involved in the upstream (exploiting and refining) petroleum sector. You too can open a gas station and with time you can play in the big league like those.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by funloving(m): 1:03pm On May 11, 2007
@ topic
adcoline, I think your argument is a bit flawed. All the oil companies you listed are downstream companies i.e, marketing companies. Most of the upstream- exloration and production- companies, are not necessarily headed by yorubas or hausas. In fact, you have very few hausas in the upstream company, except maybe NNPC.

Shell in Nigeria is headed by a man from Edo state and his counter part from one of the south east states. Very top positions are headed by non- yoruba and non-hausa people in these upstream companies.

At the end of the day I concur with 'gists'. The companies you mentioned are mostly privately owned and the owners have the right to employ who they wish.

Also, lets face it. You made a case for Niger Deltans but unfortunately, it takes more than tribe to run a business successfully. You need competence.
Lots of these Niger Deltans need to brush up on their skills and education instead of causing commotion in the creeks. If you are skillful and educated you will be employed and maybe  soon head a firm.

Rich (and often corrupt) Niger Deltans such as most of the governors of the Niger Delta states, should invest their money in floating oil companies in the Niger Delta region and employ their kinsmen and women to run the place

In conclusion, I believe this: if you work hard and are competent you will soon head a company or float one yourself. It has very little or nothing to do with your tribe

1 Like

Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by junegirl(f): 1:18pm On May 11, 2007
When did Zirra Maigadi become a Yoruba name? Nwayz, that's not the issue.
@poster
Hope you're not trying to incite another Niger-Delta crisis here 'cos we need all the peace we can get in this country right now. It's no secret that oil companies always give preference to indigenes of oil producing areas when recruiting. Why doesn't that bother you?
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by enolase(m): 1:26pm On May 11, 2007
There is something my pastor always says: A MIRACLE OCCURS WHEN OPPORTUNITY MEETS PREPARATION.

Look at the examples of miracles in the bible. If the recipients had not positioned themselves where God had programmed the miracles to occur, they would have missed out on them.

Let's apply this to the topic of this post.

The owners of these firms did not just happen to fall upon the positions they currently occupy. They had to prepare themselves for it.

Let's face it. The Yorubas have been at the forefront of financial education in Nigeria. Talk of shares, they were there before anyone. Talk of industries like the conglomerates that produce goods that are used EVERY SINGLE DAY by millions of Nigerians, (toothpaste, soap, detergent, packaged food items, etc) they are there. So is it a wonder they are at the forefront when it comes to company ownership, etc?

Now before I go on, I will like to state that I am not Yoruba. My parents are from the South South and South East.

A typical Igbo businessman is only interested in buying and selling. If you come to the South South, the mentality is simply centered around grabbing a piece of the oil wealth. There is no innovation to create something new; to develop new technology that will push Nigeria's development forward.

Crying about being marginalized is not an excuse. Look at Japan. Did they use the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as an excuse not to be counted in world economic affairs? NO!

The Japanese decided within themselves that they would rise above the ashes and scars of WW2 and become an economic powerhouse in the world. Now Japan is the home of Toyota, KIA, Honda, Yamaha, Sony and other products that are world leaders in their respective categories. You cannot talk of cars and electronics worldwide without mentioning Japan.

Even Americans prefer to buy Japanese cars than American cars. That's why Toyota has overtaken Ford as the world's leadng car manufacturer.

Why can't the so-called marginalized ethnic groups learn from the Japanese example?

This is what we in the South South and South East need to correct. We have to make a radical shift from what has been the norm to do something more positive in the area of carving out a niche for ourselves.

Just like a member rightly said in an earlier post, why did Alams not think of leaving behind a legacy for is people? Can the other South South govs really say that after 8 years, they left a legacy that can be built upon by their people?

These are questions that we need to answer.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by redsun(m): 2:21pm On May 11, 2007
Havn't you heard of FELA [ITT]international thief thief,how the multinationals appoint one nigerian useless chief as a figure head to run their businnesses,meanwhile the real policy makers are the big heads over seas,people like BP chairman brown that was sacked recently for perjury,these guys earn more 20 million pounds annually.Until we as a people begin to control our affairs in-toto,from exploration to marketing and even distribution of the revenue,we are going to remain poor and unfulfilled.Life is chemistry,just get the formular right,then you solve the problem.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by chrisokw: 3:01pm On May 11, 2007
enolase:

There is something my pastor always says: A MIRACLE OCCURS WHEN OPPORTUNITY MEETS PREPARATION.

Look at the examples of miracles in the bible. If the recipients had not positioned themselves where God had programmed the miracles to occur, they would have missed out on them.

Let's apply this to the topic of this post.

The owners of these firms did not just happen to fall upon the positions they currently occupy. They had to prepare themselves for it.

Let's face it. The Yorubas have been at the forefront of financial education in Nigeria. Talk of shares, they were there before anyone. Talk of industries like the conglomerates that produce goods that are used EVERY SINGLE DAY by millions of Nigerians, (toothpaste, soap, detergent, packaged food items, etc) they are there. So is it a wonder they are at the forefront when it comes to company ownership, etc?

Now before I go on, I will like to state that I am not Yoruba. My parents are from the South South and South East.

A typical Igbo businessman is only interested in buying and selling. If you come to the South South, the mentality is simply centered around grabbing a piece of the oil wealth. There is no innovation to create something new; to develop new technology that will push Nigeria's development forward.

Crying about being marginalized is not an excuse. Look at Japan. Did they use the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as an excuse not to be counted in world economic affairs? NO!

The Japanese decided within themselves that they would rise above the ashes and scars of WW2 and become an economic powerhouse in the world. Now Japan is the home of Toyota, KIA, Honda, Yamaha, Sony and other products that are world leaders in their respective categories. You cannot talk of cars and electronics worldwide without mentioning Japan.

Even Americans prefer to buy Japanese cars than American cars. That's why Toyota has overtaken Ford as the world's leadng car manufacturer.

Why can't the so-called marginalized ethnic groups learn from the Japanese example?

This is what we in the South South and South East need to correct. We have to make a radical shift from what has been the norm to do something more positive in the area of carving out a niche for ourselves.

Just like a member rightly said in an earlier post, why did Alams not think of leaving behind a legacy for is people? Can the other South South govs really say that after 8 years, they left a legacy that can be built upon by their people?

These are questions that we need to answer.

This is a naive gibberish of a response. Many others (non-Yoruba) are in the big league as well. Bank businnes is not production and the banks were always getting moribund until Soludo came in. Take a trip to Nnewi and see what is going on. For instance, the best and only (I think?) computer-manufacturing company in Nigeria is owned by a south easterner. I do not want to indulge in naming names, but certainly the biggest players also include others.
And, until he resigned recently to contest for a gubernatorial position, the CEO of AP was Igbo by name Tony Okocha.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by JJay1(m): 3:38pm On May 11, 2007
If you are so agrieved on having Yorubas and hausas running the show in the oil and gas sector, then tell your folks to start going to school and invest immensely in education and training of their medulla oblongata. That way they will be able to apply in an equal opportunity world
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by JJay1(m): 3:39pm On May 11, 2007
If you are so agrieved on having Yorubas and hausas running the show in the oil and gas sector, then tell your folks to start going to school and invest immensely in education and training of their medulla oblongata. That way they will be able to apply in an equal opportunity world
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by chrisokw: 3:42pm On May 11, 2007
JJay1:

Are the Yorubas any better educated currently than the Igbo? I think not. They just had the advantage that Awo's policy during the civil war provided. Others, Igbos in particular, have overtaken the Yoruba in education and are INCREASINGLY bridging the gap that Awo's indigenisation policy created.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by pisces20: 4:59pm On May 11, 2007
Well it's because
1)They are scared: U know igbo's like money too much so they are afraid that
they will embezzle their money or siphone it into thier own account.

2)Most igbo's are illiterates: They prefer to own their own business and be the oga instead of collecting salary, so they either drop out of secondary school or start learning a trade after secondary school.

hope your question has been answered  grin
My sincere apology to the igbo folks  wink

1 Like

Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by adconline(m): 5:27pm On May 11, 2007
We all know that most upstream companies are mostly foreign controlled or maybe a Nigerian stooge as chairman or MD. Common now, how many Nigerian companies are involved in oil exploration? How many of them have financial power to invest in a long term of crude oil exploration? If we like, let's keep calling names thinking that Niger Delta Issues will go away like those in this Govt thought. These Niger Delta fighters can paralyze Nigerian oil sector, then maybe we stop thinking Nigeria. We only think Nigeria when oil is concerned.
Some of these oil marketing companies were owned by the Government like AP and National Oil. The "Govt" sold to some of these rich men.

Why is it that their offices are located in Abuja and Lagos even though their raw material comes from Niger Delta?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by docokwy(m): 6:47pm On May 11, 2007
pisces20:

Well it's because
1)They are scared: U know igbo's like money too much so they are afraid that
they will embezzle their money or siphone it into their own account.

2)Most igbo's are illiterates: They prefer to own their own business and be the oga instead of collecting salary, so they either drop out of secondary school or start learning a trade after secondary school.

hope your question has been answered  grin
My sincere apology to the igbo folks  wink

Yea! You mean embezzle money just like Obasanjo, Tafa Balogun, Fasawe, Bode George, former INEC finance director ''Pastor'' Akanni, and the one from Osun State who died when Obasanjo locked him up for defrauding the national ID card project did. The yoruba are the most corrupt Nigerians, any day. And as for illiteracy, you are ignorant if you do not know that Igbos are far ahead of the Yoruba in education. Jamb records and evidence of Nigerians studying abroad will convince you. For example, the best student-mathematician in Africa is Igbo and in Nigerian, Igbo is number 1 and 3, while Yoruba came 4th and 5th. Even, Hausa beat Yoruba in that mathematics contest. If not for the civil war and Awo's tribalistic indigenisation policy, the Yoruba will be nowhere today. Since Awo died, they have been stagnant, only breeding touts and area boys, led by Adedibu and Tinubu. Remove oil coming from the forner Eastern region, then Nigerians will see those who are hardworking and independent and who are the lazy opportunists.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by mohadana: 7:18pm On May 11, 2007
you are very insecure. cry
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by fromuk(m): 7:42pm On May 11, 2007
who ever thinks that Igbos are les educated in nigeria is an illiterate himself, during my uni days in Nigeria in a non igbo state, more that half of the school students are IGBOS, even in UI 30% of students are IGBOS, In UNN you don't have upto 10% yorubas not to talk of UNIPORT, UNICAL,ABU,UNIJOS and others. They Only hinderance we have in nigeria cos we lost the war otherwise we r the most industrious, Nnewi and Aba will tel u more. We don't depend on Govt to survive likewise the other tribes.
So do ur homework well b4 u start vomitting s**t.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by Seun(m): 7:49pm On May 11, 2007
hey Only hindrance we have in Nigeria because we lost the war
The problem is not that you lost the war but that you should not have fought in the first place.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by Tornadoz(m): 7:53pm On May 11, 2007
Adcoline is right.
I am tired of the old excuse that the ND governors are corrupt hence the poverty. Apart from Yar'Adua which other gov can claim innocence? If you think the Niger Delta issue will go away, you have another think coming.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by Tornadoz(m): 7:56pm On May 11, 2007
@Seun
Why shouldn't one fight if there is injustice? Now most Nigerians will agree that had the Ibo's won their freedom, they may well have been more developed than they are now.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by Tonim(f): 7:56pm On May 11, 2007

Remove oil coming from the forner Eastern region

The oil belongs to the south south not south east. You are just whining because you were denied the opportunity to keep the oil to yourselves rather than sharing it with others. Quit whining.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by mohadana: 8:04pm On May 11, 2007
the oil belong to the ijaws,ibibios,efilk,and to all the south south people.the Ibo's whine too much.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by docokwy(m): 8:07pm On May 11, 2007
mohadana:

the oil belong to the ijaws,ibibios,efilk,and to all the south south people.the Ibo's whine too much.

Another Ignoramus gibbersih. Apart from oil in Igbo parts of Rivers, there is oil in Abia and Imo. And even, several capped oil wells are untouched in Abia. Wait until the MEND guys blow up all the oil wells in their catchment area, then we shall know who is who in Nigeria. Crappy ignoramus.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by docokwy(m): 8:08pm On May 11, 2007
Fools:

There are Nine oil-producing states
Rivers
Bayelsa
Delta
Akwa Ibom
Imo
Abia
Cross River
Edo
Ondo
The two core Igbo states (Imo, Abia) combined beat the only oil-producing Yoruba state (Ondo) by far.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=77767
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by docokwy(m): 8:10pm On May 11, 2007
And, Oil is also confirmed present in commercial quantity in Anambra. Hence they are now building a refinery -orient refinery- chairmaned by Emeka Anyaoku, former Commonwealth secretary general

http://www.rmrdc.gov.ng/MineralRawMaterials/Petroleum.htm

http://www.orientpetroleum-ng.com/Exploration.asp?LNK=X
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by needeeg(m): 8:21pm On May 11, 2007
That's it Seun, we are all the same as well, because there some places that there better too, that there other langauges that u talking about are not there!
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by Tonim(f): 8:28pm On May 11, 2007
What ? translation please
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by gists: 11:06pm On May 11, 2007
adconline:

We all know that most upstream companies are mostly foreign controlled or maybe a Nigerian stooge as chairman or MD. Common now, how many Nigerian companies are involved in oil exploration? How many of them have financial power to invest in a long term of crude oil exploration? If we like, let's keep calling names thinking that Niger Delta Issues will go away like those in this Govt thought. These Niger Delta fighters can paralyze Nigerian oil sector, then maybe we stop thinking Nigeria. We only think Nigeria when oil is concerned.
Some of these oil marketing companies were owned by the Government like AP and National Oil. The "Govt" sold to some of these rich men.

Why is it that their offices are located in Abuja and Lagos even though their raw material comes from Niger Delta?

Those guys are not fighers, they are criminals. Let's not make statement that tends to bolden the ND boys on their inglorious activities. Do you really think these guyz can hold the country to ransom?I just don't. Just that the gov has been careful to avoid another Odi saga. Yes, they'll blow up some installations but you know what the Nigerian Army can do to them. All the kidnapping they have done in the past, how many foreigners have they refused to released to show their seriousness? They're not fighting for the Niger Deltan, but for their pockets. Millions are paid to these guys to secure the release of the victims. So where do the money go? you may ask

Shell the biggest of the oil coys in Naija and the 2nd most riches establishment (well by my reckoning) FG being the richest has its HQ in Port Harcourt, Rivers state and its headed by a brilliant chap named Basil Omiyi. He is from Edo.

Ladies n Gents, pls lets not start an e-civil war here. I've met counless of brilliant highlye ducated people from virtually all the tribes in this country. Besides, oil is not the ultimate. Check the richest countries in the world, how many of them depend on oil as the chief source of their wealth?
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by outlaws(m): 11:11pm On May 11, 2007
cool
Because they don't give a shit about Igbos. That's why there are more Igbos in the 419 business and more Igbos living in the U.S. and U.K. compared to Hausa and Yoruba combined.

If you disagree, go figure.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Advice On Opening Of Laundry Services / AMCON Takes Over NICON Insurance, Nigeria Reinsurance Corporation / Flour Mills PLC (FMN PC) At 60! Nigeria’s Largest Food & Agro-Allied Group Is 60

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.