Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State (21293 Views)

Nasarawa Police Arrest Fake Corps Member In NYSC Camp / 21 Days In Okada, Edo State / Sex In NYSC Camps: How True? As A Corps Member Please Share? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Ishilove: 2:07pm On Jul 05, 2019
My relative was posted to Edo state for the 2019 Batch B orientation course, and since the day she reported on camp, it has been one tale of extortion to the other.

She reported to the camp on Wednesday, June 19 and after scaling through the processes, was forced to cough up 5,000 naira for a medical certificate. She had gotten an official medical certificate of fitness from Isolo General Hospital which was signed and stamped on the hospital's letter headed paper by the examining doctor, but when she presented this certificate to the screening officials at camp, they rejected it saying it was 'fake'. How can it be fake when the doctor's name and the hospital's contact details are indicated, she argued. To paraphrase her, she was told to either get a 'genuine' certificate from their 'approved' clinic in Okada or fvck off. Having no other choice, she and a legion of prospective corp members went to this so called 'approved' clinic to process the certificate at the cost of 5,000 naira. Incidentally, this clinic is a private hospital. Her government issued certificate was rejected in favour of one issued by a privately owned kangaroo mushroom 'hospital'.

Now, the incident which incensed the entire nuclear and extended family and inspired this post happened yesterday. During a camp programme, some call up numbers were called in the hall and hers were among them. Afterwards, the hapless corp members whose numbers were called were unceremoniously bounced out of the hall and told to assemble at the camp coordinator's office.

At the office, the camp coordinator, hereafter called CC proceeded to ask her, quote, 'meaningless questions' before accusing her of deliberately refusing to pay "empowerment programme fee.' There is a skill empowerment/acquisition programme which was organised for the corp members on camp, and from my own understanding of how this based on experiences from my own service year, this programme is either voluntary or free of charge. The CC said the programme is for her own good and if she didn't pay, she will not be deployed to her PPA. He made this threat to the other corp members too. The supposed fee is 10,050 naira, to be paid in cash.

Now, unless the system has changed and corp members now have to pay for the programmes on camp (I doubt this though but I stand to be corrected). The mind boggles that NYSC officials are going to this length to extort money from these young people and you can just imagine how much they are making.

2000 corp members (I am making a conservative guess).

10,050 per corp member. Let us not forget the insidious shenanigans with the medical fitness certificate.

Do the math and the answer will illustrate if Nigeria can ever be free from corruption.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by ArcFresky(m): 2:20pm On Jul 05, 2019
Seun
Lalasticlala

Please front page

3 Likes

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by budaatum: 2:38pm On Jul 05, 2019
They scam you if you do not speak up. Send a copy of this to the ogas at the top and I can bet you the next part of this story will be how change was made.

In fact, make it fun for us. Find out the contact details of the ogas at the top and we will all send them. We can call it the Nairaland Fight Back Against NYSC Edo State 2019 Corruption.

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:02pm On Jul 05, 2019
what?!!

1 Like

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by SoftP(m): 4:17pm On Jul 05, 2019
Ur write up,
I can't comprehend...

4 Likes

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Kreamie(m): 4:17pm On Jul 05, 2019
Lol.

Thought Edo state was for witchcraft and the likes only. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by GAPvol: 4:17pm On Jul 05, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by noble71(m): 4:18pm On Jul 05, 2019
shocked
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by joseph1832(m): 4:18pm On Jul 05, 2019
... my dear permit me to tell you that I'm not surprise in the least bit. NYSC is among the top 5 most corrupt government establishment.

All they do is look for foolish excuse to extort unsuspecting Corp members. It's also among the reason they don't allow serving Corp member inside camp premises because they know what's up.

You should have asked your cousin to make recording of them asking her to pay this fees, so they'll have increminated themselves.

If this bit of info gets to them, they'll deny it because there's no evidence of them asking Corp members to pay that money.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by chii8(f): 4:18pm On Jul 05, 2019
Hian...I served in Edo State, 2009/2010,this never happened then. Feeding and toilet facility is nothing to write home about.

If corp members there are been extorted, they should man up and voice out with evidence. They are graduates for Pete sake.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by GeorgeTheCoder: 4:18pm On Jul 05, 2019
Fight back. Don't keep quiet.

Get the number of the camp commandant and other officials. Call them and explain your case anonymously and politely. Be firm. Tell them you will go to social media, efcc, Sahara reporters and the brigade commander if changes and restitution are not made.

I assure you, you will get a response.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by STENON(f): 4:18pm On Jul 05, 2019
Unbelievable shocked
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by heckymaicon(m): 4:19pm On Jul 05, 2019
F
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by alabi484(m): 4:19pm On Jul 05, 2019
Does she have proof?
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by bmcariyo(m): 4:20pm On Jul 05, 2019
Hell NO , THATS SHIT ISN'T RIGHT.

EXTORTION EXTORTION EXTORTION everywhere!!!
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by emma321(m): 4:20pm On Jul 05, 2019
Hell NO , THATS poo ISN'T RIGHT.

[url=noisemakers.com.ng]
EXTORTION EXTORTION EXTORTION [/url]everywhere!!!
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Jamesbally: 4:21pm On Jul 05, 2019
This is extorsion at it's best. Some agencies in this Country are more Corrupt than the Politicians. Imergine this Camp Commandant becomes a Governor or President. grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Charmingrascal(m): 4:21pm On Jul 05, 2019
This should get to the appropriate authority

1 Like

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Randy100: 4:21pm On Jul 05, 2019
I don't beleive this.
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 05, 2019
Until we get authentic report from Okada camp then we can verify the news.

For now this is a rumour and should be discarded.
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Handsomebb: 4:23pm On Jul 05, 2019
NYSC will forever be a scam scheme.

1 Like

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 05, 2019
Kreamie:
Lol.

Thought Edo state was for witchcraft and the likes only. undecided
I don't want to insult you. You are already cursed

2 Likes

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by adebayo201: 4:24pm On Jul 05, 2019
If this narration is true, then I'd have advised that they shouldn't pay the money. If they don't, let's see what will be the outcome but I know some would have made the payment and even collected receipt.

We're the problem of ourselves. We see why we're always stagnant like pool? You put people under an abnormal conditions, you still extort them just because of small power.

Indeed, power corrupt. Absolute power corrupt absolutely.

REPORT this issue to the appropriate quota. Cc nysc handle both on twitter, Instagram and Facebook. That's the only way to expose the miscreants.
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by alshalz(m): 4:25pm On Jul 05, 2019
oh yea just like every other area of our system,corruption is our ''thing'' embarassedoh yea just like every other area of our system,corruption is our ''thing''

1 Like

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Focusmind: 4:25pm On Jul 05, 2019
The whole system stinks. People are brought up to see corruption as a way of life. God have mercy on this country. The NYSC members when they take position of authority in the future, the same will be replicated as that was the system they passed through.

See the kind of sadists we have as lecturers. They passed through sadist to get their PhDs and would want people to pass through same process and the cycle continues. It is a system.

4 Likes

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by wajaja: 4:25pm On Jul 05, 2019
Post this on Twitter and tag @segalink and @DrjoeAbah, it will escalate quickly.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NYSC Batch 14A POP Comes Up February 19th / New Directive In Force On Posting Of Corpers / 2 Major Ways To Apply For NYSC Relocation & Redeployment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.