Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,959 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

Tutorials On Database Management - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Tutorials On Database Management (2548 Views)

Advice/assistance On Database Needed / Help On Database Management System For A Hospital : Urgent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tutorials On Database Management by Jackelony(m): 11:06am On May 10, 2007
Hey guys,
Please could someone who's competent enough start a tutorial on database management. I'm a budding programmer, with no basic knowledge of database and would really want to know. Guess there're a lot more people out there waiting to benefit.
Thanks
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by Nobody: 4:09pm On May 16, 2007
I'll try to be as simple as possible with my little knowledge of DBMS:

A database is similar to a data file in that it is a storage place for data. database does

not present information directly to a user; the user runs an application that accesses data

from the database and presents it to the user in an understandable format.

A Relational Database is the most effective way of organizing your data in a database. In a

relational Database, data is collected into tables called Relations. Hope you remember that

your table is built of columns and rows,  bla blahh blah. But, before i go on, there are

some terms you've got to be familiar with in DataBase Management System (DBMS) which are:

1. Data Entity: Some 'thing' that is to be stored for later reference.The Storage medium may

be either a disk or tape, or on a paper for manual systems.). It is a logical representation

of data. Which later becomes your table. i'll explain later. Example in a school system: The

Student, Lecturer, Course are all examples of Entitites.

2. Data Attributes: It is a piece of information that describes a data entity. The identified

attributes of the Entity Student are: MatricNo, StudentFullName, Age, Gender etc.

3. Data Association/Relationship: This indicates that a relationship exists between two

entities.For example: There is a Relationship between the Student and the COurse Entities. A

student is expected to offer at least 1 course. Hence, the fact that a student can offer more

than one course makes the relationship a one to many relationship.

* Your entity/Attribute is always uniquely named in the singular and written in Capital Letters. e.g STUDENT and not STUDENTS, likewise COURSE and not COURSES.

Types of Relationship includes:
One-to-One
One-to-Many
Many-to-Many (this can be further broken down into 2(one-to-many relationship)

to be continued,

you can try this out.
List out the entities in a Supermarket system, and state their different attributes.

Byee!
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by Jackelony(m): 1:50pm On May 17, 2007
Thank you so much OlowoTee for taking this bold step. I appreciate.
You gave me an assignment and I have done it.
Please can we continue? smiley
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by Nobody: 5:19pm On May 17, 2007
I'd have loved to see the solution to the question. Nonetheless, let's see how far i can go for 2day!

Key Attributes: add this to your list of terms
You remember what attributes? By key attributes: it implies those attributes that makes you to uniquely identify an entity. There are 4 types of Key attr.
1. Primary Key; 2. Foreign Key; 3. Candidate Key; 4. Compound Key (when you have two primary keys to identify a particular entity/Table)

Primary Key: This is the unique identifier of an entity/table. e.g the difference btw 2 students in the same department is the Matric Number. Hence, Matric no is the primary key for the entity STUDENT. The student name(another attribute) cannot be a primary key becos, it's quite possible to have 2 or more students with the same surname & initials, that is while name won't serve as a good primary key but the student Matric cos 2 students is expected to share the same Matric no.

Let's consider a university STUDENT with the following details.

STUDENT
MatricNo
FirstName
MiddleName
LastName
CourseCode
CourseTitle
LectuerId
LecturerName
Department

*******the STUDENT is the ENTITY while the underlining details are refer to as attributes***
(All this terms come to your mind when u are considering a typical university student, But most of the attributes we have in here can as well stand as seperate ENTITIES e.g. LECTURER, COURSE etc. this is what we call an UNNORMALIZED entity, because there are some attributes inside that are supposed to be separate entity ). this will lead us to NORMALIZATION in our next class! Note,each entity is expected to have a unique identifier(Primary Key)
When you have more than one Identifier for an entity, you call Compound Keys
A Foreign key is when you have the primary key of an entity/table in another entity/table for easy referencing.blah blah blah, see you next time.

try this out. from the unnormalised list above, identify the attributes that can serve as a separate entity and write out their attributes.

I'll do this:
DEPARTMENT
departmentID
departmentName
HeadOfDepartment etc.
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by Jackelony(m): 11:11am On May 18, 2007
Pls go on I'm following. More power to your elbow.
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by Nobody: 11:52am On May 22, 2007
Hi, sorry for the suspense, just that i've been quite busy.

On Normalization,
A Normalised data is a clean data, you'll often hear this word 'Normalised/Normalisation' in DBMS because a normalised data is good for OLTP -Online transaction processing, (While your Unnormalised data is good for analytical processing).Normalization provides you with a consistent data without redundancy. There are Normalization rules which you must apply to your unnormalised data(e.g STUDENT entity) to make it Normalised! (I'll summarise the rules here, but u can pick up your textbook to learn more)
The first rule says that you must identify and remove all Repeating Group attributes into another Entity.i.e There should be a one-to-one relationship between the instances of an entity and the rows of the table.
The 2nd rule says that you must identify and remove attributes into another entity which are only partially dependent on the primary key and are also dependent on one or more other key attributes; or which are dependent on only part of the compound primary key and possibly one or more key attributes.

the 3rd rule says that you identify and remove into another entity those attributes which are dependent on a key other that the primary(Compound) key.

The explanation to this would have been a lot easier with some diagrams(The Entity Relationship Diagram), but can't place my diagrams here.

Database management is actually all about managing your database. Remember, Database (DB) is just like a container where you store information.DBMS helps you to well organise your data in the DB server. (
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by otuonye(m): 5:50pm On May 24, 2007
I have a comprehensive tutorial on SQL server 2000. Anyone interested?

JOJO
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by fellow(m): 11:42pm On May 30, 2007
otuonye:

I have a comprehensive tutorial on SQL server 2000. Anyone interested?

JOJO

I would love to have that, my email is olatundelanre@yahoo.com

Thanks
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by smartsoft(m): 12:09pm On Jun 01, 2007
I will like to have that too ucee85@yahoo.com
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by Jackelony(m): 12:29pm On Jun 02, 2007
@OlowoTee,
Thanks so much for your help thus far. But sorry, i have to take a break at thins point, cos I have exams to write.
I hope we can resume afterwards.

@Otuonye

Guy, I wouldn't mind if you'd be gracious enough to forward the SQL material to me via: jackelony@yahoo.com
Gracias
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jun 04, 2007
hi Jackelony,

It's really being a long time though, i was waiting for a feedback from you. Wishing you all the best in your exams.

I'd hv love to send some e-books to you and some other friends, but i have this problem of uploading them online. They are large in volume. (in Megabytes)

Any idea pls??  i'll be grateful. tanx
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by Adurangba(f): 5:12pm On Jun 04, 2007
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 04, 2007
tanx dear (Adura ngba), you did a very good job!

so Jackelony, you can visit the website. It's quite explanatory.
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by bijorium(m): 10:58pm On Jun 05, 2007
I'd be most grateful to benefit from the SQL Server 2000 material. My e-mail address is bijorium@gmail.com . Thanks
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by OhGrey(m): 9:07am On Jun 06, 2007
@ Otuonye
Could u also forward the SQL tutorial to aikoguama@yahoo.com

@OlowoTee
Why not try uploading it at rapidshare or megaupload and don't forget to drop the link for us
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by kings2nice(m): 8:26pm On Jun 06, 2007
Please I need the complete tutorial on SQL server 2000.
I want to be an ardent Database Administrator and Network Expert, majoring on the information(data) security.
my e-mail address is royalkings2nice@yahoo.com
Thanks Jo
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by apristos: 3:03pm On Jun 08, 2007
fellow can you pls send the SQL to apristos@yahoo.com
Thanks
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jun 08, 2007
Thanks OhGrey for sharing that piece of information with me. I've been able to upload the ebook now tanx to Rapidshare.com.

To all those interested in SQL Server 2000 tutorial in 21 days, you can access it via: http://rapidshare.com/files/35532769/SQL21days.pdf

Directive:
access the website: http://rapidshare.com/files/35532769/SQL21days.pdf
scroll down the page, click 'FREE' and On the next page enter in the higlighed letters into the box provided for the 'No Premium users'.

Wish you a successful download,

Enjoy!!
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by otuonye(m): 11:01pm On Jun 29, 2007
Please forgive me for not logging into nairaland for a long time. I did not know that people indicated interest in this tutorial.

Anyway, to those that put their emails here, I have sent the tutorials on SQL server 2000 to them. If you need others, just call me or write me on otuonye2000@yahoo.com or 08037971139

I will be willing to give them out FREE of charge.

For we came into the world with nothing, and we shall go out of the world with NOTHING.

Keep the love
Jojo
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by otuonye(m): 7:03am On Jun 30, 2007
I have another tutorial that teaches dummies [I am not calling you a dummy ooo] how to install and configure networks to an advanced level. If anyone needs it [FREE OF CHARGE], write or call me.

Or you can post it here. Remember, I do not charge a fee for these documents. I just give them away FREE OF CHARGE.

For we came into the world with "NOTHING", and we shall leave the world with "NOTHING"
Jojo
Re: Tutorials On Database Management by yaro248(m): 4:37pm On Jul 01, 2007
@Jackelony: hope this will help? It's the DB I use for my work

Re: Tutorials On Database Management by yaro248(m): 4:41pm On Jul 01, 2007
another

(1) (Reply)

Threaded/nested Comment System Using Mongodb / PHP Developer Needed For Long Term Work / A Job Available For A Web Developer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.