Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,553 members, 7,847,309 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 03:05 PM

Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 - Car Talk (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 (38135 Views)

I Want To Sell My Infiniti G35 2008 Model Asap / My Infiniti G35: From Boston To My Doorstep / Advise On Buying A Nigerian Used Infiniti G35 (2004) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:47pm On May 27, 2020
king406:
I will be comparing more of the performance part of Infiniti G37x coupe with its competitors; Lexus IS350 and E92 BMW 335i. Keep in mind that i’ve owned all 3 cars, the G37x being the current. Note that this is all based off of MY experience, not google.

First off, I love the looks of the G37 coupe, not too flashy yet stylish, aggressive stance and perfect ride height. To most people, it could pass as just any other car. But to those who have a slight knowledge about cars, the big round double exhausts and the 3.7 badge is an easy giveaway. If that doesnt do it, the exhaust growl will pass the message that this is not just any other car, but something quite special, and enthusiasts might consider it legendary. Interior is nothing special in todays world, it is just a simple and clean looking dashboard. The G37 is quite a small car with laughable boot space, small leg and head room. At 6’1 i find myself wishing i had more leg room, but it is something i can manage.

Visibility is very good, despite being a coupe. It has good sized side mirrors and there’s nothing obstructing the rear view. The first thing you notice when driving the G37 is the driving position. If you are familiar with german cars, one of the best things about them is the driving position. The steering sits a bit lower than the dashboard and the seats are up-high making you feel in command of the road. The G37 makes me think i’m in a german car, the driving position is just as good. The steering has the perfect weight to it too.

The car has a 3.7 Liter V6 engine with 330hp and 270 torque, mated to a 7 speed transmission that complements the VQ engine. The G37x benefits strongly from its all wheel drive system, you can floor the accelerator from standstill without much of a wheelspin. It definitely feels like a mid 5sec to 60mph car. It has a very short 2nd gear which i think affects the 0-60 time negatively, it needs to shift up to 3rd gear to reach 60mph. If the 2nd gear was longer, we will most likely be looking at a mid to high 4sec car.

As a Mercedes Benz fan at heart, i am saddened and embarrassed Mercedes didn’t join the competition performance wise in this class of vehicles, at least not until 2015 with the C400. And yes, the C400 is faster than the G37, 335i and IS350, maybe even the Audi S4! They came late to the party, but they blew out the competition as usual. grin

Anyway, the G37 FEELS like it is faster than the IS350 and 335i from 0-60mph, it is louder and more aggressive than its counterparts. The story may be different if the Lexus and BMW i had were also all-wheel drive. Nonetheless, it is difficult for me to tell which of these cars is faster to 60mph, i believe it will depend on who takes off first, the slightest difference will give any of them the advantage. However, the Lexus will be dropped by the time they get past 60mph, though not by much, but the competition is really between the G37 and 335i, which i think will be a close call until around 100mph, the BMW will begin to pull away. Things will get more interesting when cutting through traffic, when 0-60 times dont matter, but the responsiveness of the engines, transmission, brakes and handling come into place. In this instance, the 335i is the car to drive without question. When those turbo’s spool, it gets very serious in the 335i and things can quickly get out of hand. Perfect handling gives you every confidence to cut through traffic without worry, the transmission wastes no time in handling business. I believe the Lexus and Infiniti will be closer this time around, the Lexus benefits from its quick shifting transmission (one of the best transmissions i’ve experienced) and also being lighter than the Infiniti. The G37 benefits from its rev-matching feature (it downshifts to the proper gear when braking or coasting to provide instant takeoff when you floor it) but it has much more weight to work with. All Infiniti had to do was to make the G37 at least 100kg lighter and increase the ratio of its 2nd gear to be clearly ahead of the competition. It would be interesting to put these cars head to head, if i were to pick one for life, i’d pick a Mercedes Benz C400! grin grin

CC HeavenlyBang, Kingreign

Haha, very fair, objective review.

What are your thoughts on how the car handles? The steering has plenty of weight but I've always felt like it doesn't take corners as well as it should, although that's probably because of the poor sway bar on the X models. It seems the RWD models handle considerably better, since they get the 370z's sway bar and are lighter.
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:51pm On May 27, 2020
king406:
. It would be interesting to put these cars head to head, if i were to pick one for life, i’d pick a Mercedes Benz C400! grin grin

Honestly, if not for the fact that every Tom, Dick, and Harry here drives a W204, I'd be looking at a 2012 C350 for my next car. Sadly, the W204 is so stereotypical and I hate the image it portrays now.

Seems like you got yours from Carmax? Why didn't you just swing for something like a facelift 5th gen Camaro?
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by king406(m): 3:55pm On May 27, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Haha, very fair, objective review.

What are your thoughts on how the car handles? The steering has plenty of weight but I've always felt like it doesn't take corners as well as it should, although that's probably because of the poor sway bar on the X models. It seems the RWD models handle considerably better, since they get the 370z's sway bar and are lighter.
it definitely could be better. When taking tight bends there’s some body roll at first, but when you stay on it or push a little bit harder it gets more stable. Probably the awd system kicking in. I just wish they shaved some weight off this car!
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by nurey(m): 6:09pm On May 27, 2020
king406:
it definitely could be better. When taking tight bends there’s some body roll at first, but when you stay on it or push a little bit harder it gets more stable. Probably the awd system kicking in. I just wish they shaved some weight off this car!

They have extracted more than enough juice from the engine, exceeding the threshold would mean putting a bigger transmission probably 9gear transmission meaning more heavy weight.

You can turn yours into a track ready killer, throw out
1. All the seats except drivers seat
2. remove the extra tyre and every available weight in the boot
3. rip out the AC system
4. Cut off the catalyst and exhaust pot, put in a straight pipe.

with all those gone you reduce your launch time to 4s grin

3 Likes

Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by king406(m): 6:27pm On May 27, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Honestly, if not for the fact that every Tom, Dick, and Harry here drives a W204, I'd be looking at a 2012 C350 for my next car. Sadly, the W204 is so stereotypical and I hate the image it portrays now.

Seems like you got yours from Carmax? Why didn't you just swing for something like a facelift 5th gen Camaro?
the facelift W204 will always be one of my favorite cars. I get wet dreams about the AMG. I didnt get it from carmax, the previous owner did. I got it from a used car dealer in new york. I’m not really a fan of camaro, if i was to get a muscle car it would be a charger SRT, or at least a 392 charger. I had a lot of cars in mind, and saw a lot of them too. I was scouring through 2013-17 accord V6 coupe, G37, Acura TL type s, Audi s4/5, and i came across a 2012 E550 coupe RWD. I started salivating, was about to risk it all but i didnt want to have sleepless nights because of air suspension. When i saw the car it was squatting a bit, and it was a scary sight for me. I summoned courage and looked away. A 2013 accord coupe V6 with manual transmission showed up at a very good price and i rushed to get it, by the time i got there someone had already packaged it cry. I saw a couple of G37xS sedan, a few S coupes, before i settled for this one mainly because i was able to find almost a complete history of the car, including hard copies of oil change receipts.
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by king406(m): 6:30pm On May 27, 2020
nurey:

They have extracted more than enough juice from the engine, exceeding the threshold would mean putting a bigger transmission probably 9gear transmission meaning more heavy weight.

You can turn yours into a track ready killer, throw out
1. All the seats except drivers seat
2. remove the extra tyre and every available weight in the boot
3. rip out the AC system
4. Cut off the catalyst and exhaust pot, put in a straight pipe.

with all those gone you reduce your launch time to 4s grin
grin grin rip out AC system in this hot weather?? The only mods i plan on doing is a cold air intake, complete chrome delete, 19 inch wheels and replace the front bumper with the sport bumper.
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by Eddee(m): 6:56pm On May 27, 2020
king406:
which car are you driving? I’d think twice before racing a 350 in traffic.

A 5.7L Dodge Charger Lx. I'll win in straights, but he'll catch up on corners, and there are lots of them on the road he wanted to set me up in. Which means there's a high probability he'll win whenever i brake to take corners.
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by king406(m): 8:23pm On May 27, 2020
Eddee:

A 5.7L Dodge Charger Lx. I'll win in straights, but he'll catch up on corners, and there are lots of them on the road he wanted to set me up in. Which means there's a high probability he'll win whenever i brake to take corners.
my brother, you have a machine!

2 Likes

Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by Themandalorian: 4:06pm On May 28, 2020
king406:
I will be comparing more of the performance part of Infiniti G37x coupe with its competitors; Lexus IS350 and E92 BMW 335i. Keep in mind that i’ve owned all 3 cars, the G37x being the current. Note that this is all based off of MY experience, not google.

First off, I love the looks of the G37 coupe, not too flashy yet stylish, aggressive stance and perfect ride height. To most people, it could pass as just any other car. But to those who have a slight knowledge about cars, the big round double exhausts and the 3.7 badge is an easy giveaway. If that doesnt do it, the exhaust growl will pass the message that this is not just any other car, but something quite special, and enthusiasts might consider it legendary. Interior is nothing special in todays world, it is just a simple and clean looking dashboard. The G37 is quite a small car with laughable boot space, small leg and head room. At 6’1 i find myself wishing i had more leg room, but it is something i can manage.

Visibility is very good, despite being a coupe. It has good sized side mirrors and there’s nothing obstructing the rear view. The first thing you notice when driving the G37 is the driving position. If you are familiar with german cars, one of the best things about them is the driving position. The steering sits a bit lower than the dashboard and the seats are up-high making you feel in command of the road. The G37 makes me think i’m in a german car, the driving position is just as good. The steering has the perfect weight to it too.

The car has a 3.7 Liter V6 engine with 330hp and 270 torque, mated to a 7 speed transmission that complements the VQ engine. The G37x benefits strongly from its all wheel drive system, you can floor the accelerator from standstill without much of a wheelspin. It definitely feels like a mid 5sec to 60mph car. It has a very short 2nd gear which i think affects the 0-60 time negatively, it needs to shift up to 3rd gear to reach 60mph. If the 2nd gear was longer, we will most likely be looking at a mid to high 4sec car.

As a Mercedes Benz fan at heart, i am saddened and embarrassed Mercedes didn’t join the competition performance wise in this class of vehicles, at least not until 2015 with the C400. And yes, the C400 is faster than the G37, 335i and IS350, maybe even the Audi S4! They came late to the party, but they blew out the competition as usual. grin

Anyway, the G37 FEELS like it is faster than the IS350 and 335i from 0-60mph, it is louder and more aggressive than its counterparts. The story may be different if the Lexus and BMW i had were also all-wheel drive. Nonetheless, it is difficult for me to tell which of these cars is faster to 60mph, i believe it will depend on who takes off first, the slightest difference will give any of them the advantage. However, the Lexus will be dropped by the time they get past 60mph, though not by much, but the competition is really between the G37 and 335i, which i think will be a close call until around 100mph, the BMW will begin to pull away. Things will get more interesting when cutting through traffic, when 0-60 times dont matter, but the responsiveness of the engines, transmission, brakes and handling come into place. In this instance, the 335i is the car to drive without question. When those turbo’s spool, it gets very serious in the 335i and things can quickly get out of hand. Perfect handling gives you every confidence to cut through traffic without worry, the transmission wastes no time in handling business. I believe the Lexus and Infiniti will be closer this time around, the Lexus benefits from its quick shifting transmission (one of the best transmissions i’ve experienced) and also being lighter than the Infiniti. The G37 benefits from its rev-matching feature (it downshifts to the proper gear when braking or coasting to provide instant takeoff when you floor it) but it has much more weight to work with. All Infiniti had to do was to make the G37 at least 100kg lighter and increase the ratio of its 2nd gear to be clearly ahead of the competition. It would be interesting to put these cars head to head, if i were to pick one for life, i’d pick a Mercedes Benz C400! grin grin

A well written review. Congrats on your G

3 Likes

Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by yungboss(m): 9:41pm On May 28, 2020
king406:

Nice write up...but did the c400 outdo its competitors, i thought the q40...60 were the next generation of Infiniti sedan and coupe line ups? Those where fast too, the Red sport et al...the f30 335i is about as fast as the W205 C400.
The W204 c class was really disappointing lining it up with its competitors at the time...the max Mercedes could churn out from the M272 engine was only 302hp...
14.2s through 402m wasn't comparably fantastic,
I have the pre LCI W204 350, I think it's just as quick as the e90 330i to maybe 100mph, beyond that it is perhaps faster.
I learnt Infiniti are in some sort of crises due to mismanagement. I hope it doesn't affect further the vehicle production line...they already merged the fx and ex series into the qx, the g35/37 are highly desirable sports sedans..in their day, they beat the 3 series in terms of performance for money...
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:56pm On May 28, 2020
yungboss:

Nice write up...but did the c400 outdo its competitors, i thought the q40...60 were the next generation of Infiniti sedan and coupe line ups? Those where fast too, the Red sport et al...the f30 335i is about as fast as the W205 C400.
The W204 c class was really disappointing lining it up with its competitors at the time...the max Mercedes could churn out from the M272 engine was only 302hp...
I have the pre LCI W204 350, I think it's just as quick as the e90 330i to maybe 100mph, beyond that it is perhaps faster.
I learnt Infiniti are in some sort of crises due to mismanagement. I hope it doesn't affect further the vehicle production line...they already merged the fx and ex series into the qx, the g35/37 are highly desirable sports sedans..in their day, they beat the 3 series in terms of performance for money...

Seeing as the C400 was only in production for, what, two years? I doubt that. No one buys a non-AMG for performance anyway.

The facelift C350 was capable, though. Was on par with the F30 335i and ATS 3.6L.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/3-series/2012/2012-bmw-335i-2013-cadillac-ats-mercedes-benz-c350-comparison/

I think you're doing the C350 a massive disservice.
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by yungboss(m): 10:23pm On May 28, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Seeing as the C400 was only in production for, what, two years? I doubt that. No one buys a non-AMG for performance anyway.

The facelift C350 was capable, though. Was on par with the F30 335i and ATS 3.6L.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/3-series/2012/2012-bmw-335i-2013-cadillac-ats-mercedes-benz-c350-comparison/

The Infiniti and BMW will hang together, the c class will be dropped dead In the drag strip I'm sure.
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:27pm On May 28, 2020
yungboss:

The Infiniti and BMW will hang together, the c class will be dropped dead In the drag strip I'm sure.

Drag isn't everything. 0-60 times are also almost useless in the real world, since they can't be replicated.
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by yungboss(m): 10:31pm On May 28, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

I wanted to get a used w204 amg, but changed my mind, I couldn't find an affordable facelift c350 at the time...I'm still contemplating what to drive next...I wish to go high performance...the w204 c63 amg still comes to mind.
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by Lexusgs430: 10:35pm On May 28, 2020
yungboss:

I wanted to get a used w204 amg, but changed my mind, I couldn't find an affordable facelift c350 at the time...I'm still contemplating what to drive next...I wish to go high performance...the w204 c63 amg still comes to mind.

When you're big, you are big abeg...... cheesy
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by yungboss(m): 10:41pm On May 28, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Drag isn't everything. 0-60 times are also almost useless in the real world, since they can't be replicated.
My opinion too. I recall trying to explain this to someone In another thread sometime ago, I dont care much about 0-60 times because it is (almost) unrealistic in real world. But I just feel something is still comparably lacking...though I acknowledge Mercedes' effort towards weight reduction, that greatly helped in handling department.
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:07pm On May 28, 2020
yungboss:

Same here. High performance is pretty easy, but it'd come at the expense of certain luxuries. I'd much rather have a luxurious, decently fast car than a missile with a shite interior and/or poor handling.

If you want cheap, high performance with decent luxury, you can hardly do worse than an E55 or a CLK550.

If you want straight line performance at the expense of everything else, then you need a Charger SRT8. I think a Camaro SS would be better, though. The 5th gen Camaros don't handle nearly as well as the 6th gen but still better than the Charger.

yungboss:

My opinion too. I recall trying to explain this to someone In another thread sometime ago, I dont care much about 0-60 times because it is (almost) unrealistic in real world. But I just feel something is still comparably lacking...though I acknowledge Mercedes' effort towards weight reduction, that greatly helped in handling department.

There's a good roadandtrack article that explains it.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a30905608/how-0-to-60-tests-work/

Very good read I think all enthusiasts will appreciate. 5-60 is a lot more important than 0-60.

I think the C350 is a great car. The ATS is considered the best handler in that class, on par with the Alfa Romeo Giulia, and the C350 right about keeps up.

Shame that the newer 3 series aren't as sporting as the older generation.

2 Likes

Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by king406(m): 12:24am On May 29, 2020
Themandalorian:

A well written review. Congrats on your G
thanks!
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by king406(m): 12:41am On May 29, 2020
yungboss:

the q40 and q60 still came with the 3.7 engine. I believe the C400 will be quicker than the VR30 q50 and q60, though not the redsports. Compare the redsports with the C43 AMG, i’m not sure which is faster as i havent compared them before. But at first glance the redsports have higher performance figures. Also, C400 is faster than any 335i with N54/55 engine. You should be comparing C400 with the 340i which has the B58 engine. I believe it is M276 that had 302hp, M272 maxed out at 288hp on blueEfficiency models.
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by king406(m): 12:45am On May 29, 2020
yungboss:

well at least i’m not the only one dreaming about a w204 amg grin
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by yungboss(m): 8:40am On May 29, 2020
king406:
the q40 and q60 still came with the 3.7 engine. I believe the C400 will be quicker than the VR30 q50 and q60, though not the redsports. Compare the redsports with the C43 AMG, i’m not sure which is faster as i havent compared them before. But at first glance the redsports have higher performance figures. Also, C400 is faster than any 335i with N54/55 engine. You should be comparing C400 with the 340i which has the B58 engine. I believe it is M276 that had 302hp, M272 maxed out at 288hp on blueEfficiency models.
Okay, being a previous N54/55 owner, you know better. Thanks for pointing the nuance...
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by BamBamK: 2:12pm On May 29, 2020
king406:

wonderful!!

that was quite objective. i appreciate the effort.

3 Likes

Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:19pm On May 30, 2020
king406:
the facelift W204 will always be one of my favorite cars. I get wet dreams about the AMG. I didnt get it from carmax, the previous owner did. I got it from a used car dealer in new york. I’m not really a fan of camaro, if i was to get a muscle car it would be a charger SRT, or at least a 392 charger. I had a lot of cars in mind, and saw a lot of them too. I was scouring through 2013-17 accord V6 coupe, G37, Acura TL type s, Audi s4/5, and i came across a 2012 E550 coupe RWD. I started salivating, was about to risk it all but i didnt want to have sleepless nights because of air suspension. When i saw the car it was squatting a bit, and it was a scary sight for me. I summoned courage and looked away. A 2013 accord coupe V6 with manual transmission showed up at a very good price and i rushed to get it, by the time i got there someone had already packaged it cry. I saw a couple of G37xS sedan, a few S coupes, before i settled for this one mainly because i was able to find almost a complete history of the car, including hard copies of oil change receipts.

You made a huge mistake btw. The W212 Coupe doesn't have air suspensions at all. In fact, it's built on the W204 platform and isn't really an E Class.

It's the successor to the CLK class. That car may have had suspension issues, but it definitely didn't have Airmatic.

2 Likes

Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by Conductor261: 6:49pm On May 30, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

You made a huge mistake btw. The W212 Coupe doesn't have air suspensions at all. In fact, it's built on the W204 platform and isn't really an E Class.

It's the successor to the CLK class. That car may have had suspension issues, but it definitely didn't have Airmatic.

Hmmm
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by king406(m): 8:44pm On May 30, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

are you sure about this? I thought all E550’s had air suspension.
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:03pm On May 30, 2020
king406:
are you sure about this? I thought all E550’s had air suspension.

I'm sure.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mercedes-benz/e-class/2010/2010-mercedes-benz-e550-coupe-test/

The W212 Coupe is actually a W204. The CLK500 and CLK550 didn't have Airmatic either.

Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by king406(m): 11:14pm On May 30, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

I'm sure.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mercedes-benz/e-class/2010/2010-mercedes-benz-e550-coupe-test/

The W212 Coupe is actually a W204. The CLK500 and CLK550 didn't have Airmatic either.
its even an option on the sedan? I cant believe i never knew this, wow. I would’ve kept the IS and replaced the E350 with E550 cry
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:21am On May 31, 2020
king406:
its even an option on the sedan? I cant believe i never knew this, wow. I would’ve kept the IS and replaced the E350 with E550 cry

Only 2012+

Was standard for the first few years.
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by king406(m): 2:44pm On May 31, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Only 2012+

Was standard for the first few years.
no worries, no regrets with the G so far. How durable has your suspension been?
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:56pm On May 31, 2020
king406:
no worries, no regrets with the G so far. How durable has your suspension been?

Could be better.

How much would the E550 have cost? Just purchase.
Re: Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 by king406(m): 3:06pm On May 31, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Could be better.

How much would the E550 have cost? Just purchase.
4.380m

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (20) (Reply)

2018 Lexus GS F (price, Photos And Features) / BMW 766i Valkyrie 4×4 Is The Most Monstrous BMW You've Ever Seen (photos) / Container Falls On A Toyota Hiace Bus Along Ilasa-Oshodi Expressway (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.