Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,798 members, 7,831,584 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria (22474 Views)

FRSC Official Crushed By A Moving Tanker While Chasing Bus Driver (graphic Pic) / FRSC Official, Traffic Offender Crushed To Death In Ondo (Photos) / FRSC Official Hanging On A Moving Vehicle In Enugu State - Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by forghon: 11:09am On Jul 09, 2019
A
Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by tellwisdom: 12:00pm On Jul 09, 2019
All these agencies wey I de slap everyday? Or you don't know I and the president have equal right?
Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by Sharmeenator(m): 12:07pm On Jul 09, 2019
This article came at the nick of time. I was about to write a post about FRSC and the Nigerian Police as regards road users. Is there any updated handbook we road users can buy or access to educate ourselves about the various offences and their respective charges as at 2019?

I travelled from Lagos to Onitsha few days back and I was stopped several times by the police and FRSC. At one of the FRSC checkpoints, I was told 2 of my tires have expired. The manufacturing dates are 2012 and 2013. They added 4 years to the manufacturing dates to arrive at their conclusions. I bought the tires recently and they are in superb condition. My argument is if tires expire, the manufacturers will indicate. How do they arrive at such conclusions?

Secondly, I was stopped at a police checkpoint. My offence was that my particulars didn't carry my names despite I told them I just got the car and I tendered police report and a court affidavit as evidence alongside the purchase receipt. I argued that the law gives me few months to get a change of ownership done. The Sergeant disagreed, he challenged me to provide the law that said so. Seeing I maintained my ground, he delayed me for few minutes before letting me go, not without giving him a "roger".

Though we later sorted ourselves in the "Nigerian way" but I will really like to know if there's a federal traffic law handbook or a to go place to source for updated knowledge regarding Nigerian traffic law and offences.
Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by alphaNomega: 12:16pm On Jul 09, 2019
ashantitope:
Please like how many days Grace can they give someone that his driver's license expires and secondly are they doing it in there office along sangotedo road in ajah axis please I need response ASAP

Your license expiry date is clearly written on it. You can apply for a renewal when you have one month validity left i.e. if your license is to expire on 3rd September 2019, you can apply for a renewal from 3rd August 2019.

There is no excuse and no "grace period" for driving with an expired driver's license in Nigeria
Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by roxey: 12:33pm On Jul 09, 2019
want to know, d FRSC r they supposed to operate on all roads,cos I tot its a federal agency and jurisdiction just be on federal roads, I see them these days on even back roads conducting searches and all,pls reply,thanks
Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by GoodGovernance: 12:46pm On Jul 09, 2019
Your Rights
If an FRSC official, arrests you for allegedly contravening a road traffic offence; you can either:

- Accept liability and pay the summary fine, or
- Contest the charge and ask for a trial by a court of competent jurisdiction
grin grin grin
Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by dfrost: 1:10pm On Jul 09, 2019
omonla10:
Op bia.. Have u ever heard of task force... Those ones are above the law.. Once dem catch u, u are guilty as charged..
Yesterday, I saw them catch over 20 cars for avoiding a big pothole around Ile zik thereby forming another lane.. Omo, na to appear for court straight.. Those guys are not smiling at all

So I should enter pothole abi? They are not serious.

Las las na danfo or Uber things sure pass.
Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by snaketail22(m): 2:52pm On Jul 09, 2019
Who get that time? Not in this Nigeria where your papa no be senator,commissioner or governor. You better behave yourself and give them their #1000 or #500 and go your own way
Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by Frederick2017: 3:04pm On Jul 09, 2019
Choice22:
What is the difference between a FRSC and VIO?

because even VIO does all motioned above.

That is how one police officer stopped me one day and was asking for my drivers license

Me: Oga police I can't show you my drivers license, you can only asked of my particulars just to be sure is not a stolen car.

Police officer: are you teaching me my job?

Naso one police stop Me they ask of "road worthiness papar" na laugh I laugh drive comot.....
Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by capitalzero: 3:08pm On Jul 09, 2019
aaking:
FRSC is not d problem but VIO. Do you no that 75% of accidents in Lagos are cause by VIO during the time of Fashola administration. There billing start from 20k but Frsc is 3k, 4k

You are right. vio are thugs in uniform. it is best to avoid them. I wish various state governments can restrict activities of vio to offices.

1 Like

Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by adanny01(m): 3:11pm On Jul 09, 2019
alphaNomega:

Your license expiry date is clearly written on it. You can apply for a renewal when you have one month validity left i.e. if your license is to expire on 3rd September 2019, you can apply for a renewal from 3rd August 2019.

There is no excuse and no "grace period" for driving with an expired driver's license in Nigeria

Funny enough, drivers license expires on your birthday. So if you dont renew immediately, its your loss. Since, if you wait 3 months to renew, it will still expire the same day as it would if you renewed before the expiry date.

Its just a loss to delay the renewal process.
Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by capitalzero: 3:16pm On Jul 09, 2019
Sharmeenator:
This article came at the nick of time. I was about to write a post about FRSC and the Nigerian Police as regards road users. Is there any updated handbook we road users can buy or access to educate ourselves about the various offences and their respective charges as at 2019?

I travelled from Lagos to Onitsha few days back and I was stopped several times by the police and FRSC. At one of the FRSC checkpoints, I was told 2 of my tires have expired. The manufacturing dates are 2012 and 2013. They added 4 years to the manufacturing dates to arrive at their conclusions. I bought the tires recently and they are in superb condition. My argument is if tires expire, the manufacturers will indicate. How do they arrive at such conclusions?

Secondly, I was stopped at a police checkpoint. My offence was that my particulars didn't carry my names despite I told them I just got the car and I tendered police report and a court affidavit as evidence alongside the purchase receipt. I argued that the law gives me few months to get a change of ownership done. The Sergeant disagreed, he challenged me to provide the law that said so. Seeing I maintained my ground, he delayed me for few minutes before letting me go, not without giving him a "roger".

Though we later sorted ourselves in the "Nigerian way" but I will really like to know if there's a federal traffic law handbook or a to go place to source for updated knowledge regarding Nigerian traffic law and offences.
Exactly,on expired tires I told some frsc guys that tires have no expiry date. in Nigeria highway code which is available online,only worn out tire was stated as offence,nothing like expired tires. I wish I am a lawyer, traffic law will be my priority.
Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by adanny01(m): 3:18pm On Jul 09, 2019
Sharmeenator:

I was gonna ask the same question.

FRSC offences has nothing like expired tires as a fine. They only have worn out tires.

The problem is that when they tell you they will fine you for expired tires they will actually fine you for worn out tires which is completely different to what they accuse you of.

A worn out tire is different from expired tire. All tires have wear indicators but no tire has expiry date or any indication of expiry.

Secondly, they have a fine for shattered windscreen, i find it hard to comprehend why the fine people for shattered windscreen when the wind screen has a hairline crack.
Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by Ebendo123(m): 3:37pm On Jul 09, 2019
osejie17:
IF you have all the necessary papers no need to fear.
Nna bia! Did u just mention papers. And road safety? Maybe u no deh Nigeria. When once u stop for them dem don catch u. After checking papers, mek sure Ur tyres are new, Ur fire extinguisher new, triangle, jack, all Ur lights are working, u no get scratch for screen, no keep phone on sit( use of phone while driving), I no fit mention all set.

1 Like

Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by dedollarman(m): 5:15pm On Jul 09, 2019
Sharmeenator:

Here is the FRSC TRAFFIC OFFENCES AND PENALTIES

*38 FRSC Traffic Offences & Their Penalties*

*1. TRAFFIC LIGHT/SIGN VIOLATION*
Penalty: N2,000
*2. ROAD OBSTRUCTION*
Penalty: N3,000
*3. ROUTE VIOLATION*
Penalty: N5,000
*4. DRIVER’S LICENCE VIOLATION*
Penalty: N10,000
*5. DANGEROUS DRIVING*
Penalty: N50,000
*6. SPEED LIMIT VIOLATION*
*7. VEHICLE LICENCE VIOLATION*
*8. DRIVING UNDER ALCOHOL OR DRUG INFLUENCE*
*9. DRIVING WITH WORN-OUT TYRE OR WITHOUT SPARE TYRE*
*10. DRIVING WITHOUT OR WITH SHATTERED WINDSCREEN*
*11. OVERLOADING*
*12. DRIVING WITHOUT SEAT BELT*
Penalty: N2, 000
*13. DRIVING A VEHICLE WITH FORGED DOCUMENTS*
Penalty: N20,000
*14. FAILURE TO REPORT AN ACCIDENT*
Penalty: N20,000
*15. VEHICLE NUMBER PLATE VIOLATION*
*16. WRONGFUL OVERTAKING*
*17. ROAD MARKING VIOLATION*
*18. CAUTION SIGN VIOLATION*
*19. USE OF PHONE WHILE DRIVING*
Penalty: N4,000
*20. UNAUTHORIZED REMOVAL OF OR TAMPERING WITH ROAD SIGNS*
*21. DO NOT MOVE VIOLATION*
*22. INADEQUATE CONSTRUCTION WARNING*
*23. CONSTRUCTION AREA SPEED LIMIT VIOLATION*
*24. FAILURE TO MOVE OVER*
*25. FAILURE TO COVER UNSTABLE MATERIALS*
*26. ATTEMPTING TO CORRUPT MARSHAL*
*27. EXCESSIVE SMOKE EMISSION*
*28. FAILURE TO FIX RED FLAG ON PROJECTED LOAD*
*29. MEDICAL PERSONNEL OR HOSPITAL REJECTION OF ROAD ACCIDENT VICTIM*
*30. ASSAULTING MARSHAL ON DUTY*
Penalty: N10,00
*31. OBSTRUCTING MARSHAL ON DUTY*
*32. CUSTODY FEE*
Penalty: N200 per day after 24 hours
*33. DRIVING WITHOUT SPECIFIED FIRE EXTINGUISHER*
*34. DRIVING A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE WITHOUT PASSENGER MANIFEST*
*35. DRIVING A VEHICLE WHILE UNDER 18 YEARS*
*36. RIDING MOTORCYCLE WITHOUT A CRASH HELMET*
*37. MECHANICALLY DEFICIENT VEHICLE*
*38. FAILURE TO INSTALL SPEED LIMITING DEVICE*

Note: ALL Fines are paid into the Federal Government Revenue Account in any of the commercial Banks or online using “Remita” platform accessible through www.remita.net.

On the remita.net website, select “Pay FG Agency; Select FRSC under MDAs; select “Offences” to pay for fines. Complete the other mandatory fields as applicable.

Take the teller / printout to the FRSC office where the booking was made

It can help you avoid undue harassment
Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by Sharmeenator(m): 12:29am On Jul 10, 2019
dedollarman:

No tire expiration in the list o. Why are they now harassing us?
Re: Your Rights When Dealing With A FRSC Official In Nigeria by Sharmeenator(m): 12:35am On Jul 10, 2019
capitalzero:

Exactly,on expired tires I told some frsc guys that tires have no expiry date. in Nigeria highway code which is available online,only worn out tire was stated as offence,nothing like expired tires. I wish I am a lawyer, traffic law will be my priority.

So how can one defend oneself in the event one is charged for expired tire(s)?

(1) (2) (Reply)

People Crushed To Death In An Accident In Benue State (Graphic Pics) / Please How Much For A Dubai Visa / Police Officers Help Man With Flat Tyres On Kaduna-Abuja Expressway (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.