Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,550 members, 7,861,618 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:32 PM

Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State (1434 Views)

My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. / Oguta Land In Imo State Is An Extension Of Benin Empire / The History Of Arochukwu (abia State) And The Infamous Long Juju Shrine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State by Nobody: 10:49am On Jul 09, 2019
Today, we bring you news of two locations with almost identical names.

One is Egbeda in Lagos State, while the other is Egbeada in Imo State.

Egbeda is in today’s Yoruba Land, while Egbeada is in Igbo Land.

There are so many examples of similar sounding towns in both the Yoruba South West and the Igbo South East-South South of Nigeria.

For example, you have Ugbo in Ogun State and also in Enugu State. You have Ife in both Yoruba and Igbo Lands. You have Aba and so on…

One reason for all these similarities is the Igbo aborigines of Ile Ife. Recall that the Ooni of Ife recently called on historians to unearth the Igbo past of Ile Ife and their connections to the Yoruba. The Obi of Onitsha has also made a similar call.

Source
Re: Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State by OJODEL10(m): 1:39pm On Jul 09, 2019
no doubt we are brothers but the igbos are nit original owner of ife

1 Like

Re: Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State by Opiletool(m): 1:42pm On Jul 09, 2019
You this dude, you have decided to remain ignorant and adamant to corrections. There are tonal and semantic differences.

2 Likes

Re: Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State by bluke(m): 2:47pm On Jul 09, 2019
can you explain the connection btw 'obama' town in japan and barrack 'obama'

1 Like

Re: Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jul 09, 2019
igbodefender:
[s]Today, we bring you news of two locations with almost identical names.

One is Egbeda in Lagos State, while the other is Egbeada in Imo State.

Egbeda is in today’s Yoruba Land, while Egbeada is in Igbo Land.

There are so many examples of similar sounding towns in both the Yoruba South West and the Igbo South East-South South of Nigeria.

For example, you have Ugbo in Ogun State and also in Enugu State. You have Ife in both Yoruba and Igbo Lands. You have Aba and so on…

One reason for all these similarities is the Igbo aborigines of Ile Ife. Recall that the Ooni of Ife recently called on historians to unearth the Igbo past of Ile Ife and their connections to the Yoruba. The Obi of Onitsha has also made a similar call.

Source[/s]

No similarities whatsoever.

Nobiody believes a moonlight story.

I will agree as far as you agree ebonyi state is more and closely related to benue ie Tivs, Idomas and fulanis than igbos.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State by RedboneSmith(m): 4:14am On Jul 10, 2019
LMAO.

There's Egbeda in Ikwerre land too. Add am for your list. grin

1 Like

Re: Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 11, 2019
RedboneSmith:
LMAO.

1 Hero beer for you, there!
Re: Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State by Probz(m): 4:08pm On Jul 13, 2019
RedboneSmith:
LMAO.

Anioma spokesman. Any idea what region answers the surname Ebenuwa?
Re: Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State by Nobody: 7:14am On Jul 22, 2019
Who can explain why there is Egbeda both in Igbo Land and in Yoruba Land?
Re: Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State by bigfrancis21: 7:20am On Jul 22, 2019
igbodefender:

They are not the same. One is Egbe-ada (in Imo, meaning might be 'no gunshots heard') and the other is Egbeda (Yoruba land).

1 Like

Re: Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State by Nobody: 7:27am On Jul 22, 2019
bigfrancis21:

They are not the same. One is Egbe-ada (in Imo, meaning might be 'no gunshots heard') and the other is Egbeda (Yoruba land).
I am asking of the Egbeda in the Igbo part of Rivers State.
Re: Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State by Olu317(m): 1:23pm On Jul 25, 2019
bigfrancis21:

Yoruba's Égbẹ́-dà —Égbẹ́dà :

Is a contemporary established settlement or age group establishment
Re: Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State by Olu317(m): 3:15pm On Jul 25, 2019
igbodefender:

Peradventure you dont know,your claim is quite incorrect, in the method of yours to connect Yoruba and Ibo from a wrong angel even if there is a possible that there were ever a connection during the Kemet's or pre Kemet era . Unfortunately, your position on Egbe ada and Yoruba's Egbeda is seemingly homonym and doesnt fulfil your purpose at all because I am sure you know, you already have the knowledge of the meaning which I interpreted from Yoruba's angle even if the word can be further interpreted to others.

Let me infer another one Homonym (false cognate) and Akin (true cognate) between Ibo and Yoruba, so that you can position yourself from the angle you desired. With humility do posit this, that perhaps, you have a Yoruba blood running inside of you. Below are

True cognate

Ibo: Ewu
Meaning: goat

Yoruba: Èwú
Meaning: female goat

Yoruba: Èwu re
Meaning: your female goat

Yoruba: orú ~ kọ́
Yoruba: obú~ kọ́
Meaning: male goat

Unfortunately, a lot of city Yoruba people and few Ibo likes you thought Èwu in Yoruba is strictly goat but failed to understand the yoruba ancestors were deeper thinkers (wisemen) because ‘È wú', obú, Orú, are all description of the goat when ‘ her/his(it) mouth swell t o ‘cough' i.e struggling within self throat to cough.

In doubt?

Yoruba: wú ~kọ́
Meaning: human cough
Yoruba: kọ́
Meaning: make sound,call etc ọ́

False Cognate

Ibo: Oku
Meaning: light

Yoruba :Oku
Meaning: dark

You need know ypruba is extensively deeper than from the lighter angle you look at it even if many words in Yoruba land are homonymous in nature. These words serves the purposes they all meant from the owners language angle

God bless your effort.

Cheers
Re: Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 25, 2019
Olu317:

Peradventure you dont know,your claim is quite incorrect, in the method of yours to connect Yoruba and Ibo from a wrong angel even if there is a possible that there were ever a connection during the Kemet's or pre Kemet era . Unfortunately, your position on Egbe ada and Yoruba's Egbeda is seemingly homonym and doesnt fulfil your purpose at all because I am sure you know, you already have the knowledge of the meaning which I interpreted from Yoruba's angle even if the word can be further interpreted to others.

Let me infer another one Homonym (false cognate) and Akin (true cognate) between Ibo and Yoruba, so that you can position yourself from the angle you desired. With humility do posit this, that perhaps, you have a Yoruba blood running inside of you. Below are

True cognate

Ibo: Ewu
Meaning: goat

Yoruba: Èwú
Meaning: female goat

Yoruba: Èwu re
Meaning: your female goat

Yoruba: orú ~ kọ́
Yoruba: obú~ kọ́
Meaning: male goat

Unfortunately, a lot of city Yoruba people and few Ibo likes you thought Èwu in Yoruba is strictly goat but failed to understand the yoruba ancestors were deeper thinkers (wisemen) because ‘È wú', obú, Orú, are all description of the goat when ‘ her/his(it) mouth swell t o ‘cough' i.e struggling within self throat to cough.

In doubt?

Yoruba: wú ~kọ́
Meaning: human cough
Yoruba: kọ́
Meaning: make sound,call etc ọ́

False Cognate

Ibo: Oku
Meaning: light

Yoruba :Oku
Meaning: dark

You need know ypruba is extensively deeper than from the lighter angle you look at it even if many words in Yoruba land are homonymous in nature. These words serves the purposes they all meant from the owners language angle

God bless your effort.

Cheers
I respect your submission but do not agree with several aspects of it. I shall respond to it in another post later.

God bless your effort too, Omoluabi.
Re: Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State by michelz: 8:33pm On Jul 25, 2019
igbodefender:

I respect your submission but do not agree with several aspects of it. I shall respond to it in another post later.

God bless your effort too, Omoluabi.
Bro,I like what you're doing.
Most Nigerians hate research; in fact, they hate anything that will rattle their preconceived notion on anything.
When you have two ethnic groups amongst other ethnic groups in nigeria who have innumerable similarities in various aspects of life and most Nigerians don't ask why,you then start wondering the kind of education they get.
No doubt the Igbos and Yorubas have had strong affiliation in the past. It just remains to be unearthed factually; and you're doing your bit in that regard. kudos.
Re: Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 26, 2019
michelz:

Bro,I like what you're doing.
Most Nigerians hate research; in fact, they hate anything that will rattle their preconceived notion on anything.
When you have two ethnic groups amongst other ethnic groups in nigeria who have innumerable similarities in various aspects of life and most Nigerians don't ask why,you then start wondering the kind of education they get.
No doubt the Igbos and Yorubas have had strong affiliation in the past. It just remains to be unearthed factually; and you're doing your bit in that regard. kudos.
Thanks for this motivating piece! God bless you. May God bless Igbos and Yorubas and other ethnic groups of Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

What Exactly Is Eye Service? / The History Of Oshodi (tapa) Of Lagos / Sodomy The Downfall Of Man (Western Freemasonry---Assembly House Of Trannies)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.