Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,443 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture (751 Views)

Jesus Is Addressed Also As Lord God Almighty. See Evidence Of Scripture / Jehovah Witness Cannot Interpret This Passage Of Scripture / "Is The Watchtower Organisation A Trustworthy Interpreter Of Scripture?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:54pm On Jul 15, 2019
Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture

Most Christians at least give lip-service to following Christ. But what about His view of the Old Testament? How highly did He esteem its claims, both in His life and in His teaching, and do we embrace Scripture with the same zeal?

https://answersingenesis.org/is-the-bible-true/embracing-christs-view-of-scripture/

1 Share

Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by budaatum: 6:17pm On Jul 15, 2019
Jesus trusted the Scriptures completely, and He revealed His trust in a number of ways. One is the way He treated the Old Testament’s historical accounts. He always treated them as trustworthy facts, even the events that many people today consider to be myths
There is absolutely no evidence that Jesus treated historical accounts as trustworthy fact of things that had occurred! He in fact took a more prophetic attitude towards some of it by not being so concerned about the historicity of the facts but claiming they will occur in the future!

Regardless, unless one wishes to believe that all scholarship done since then is of the devil and should therefore be disregarded, which in my opinion is stupid and ignorant and unGodly, the evidence does not agree that the Bible is the best historical evidence of the past since it is written to promote a particular and specific view.

If anything, Scripture is about turning people into powerful godly beings. Its power is way more that historical.
Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:32pm On Jul 15, 2019
budaatum:

There is absolutely no evidence that Jesus treated historical accounts as trustworthy fact of things that had occurred! He in fact took a more prophetic attitude towards some of it by not being so concerned about the historicity of the facts but claiming they will occur in the future!

Regardless, unless one wishes to believe that all scholarship done since then is of the devil and should therefore be disregarded, which in my opinion is stupid and ignorant and unGodly, the evidence does not agree that the Bible is the best historical evidence of the past since it is written to promote a particular and specific view.

If anything, Scripture is about turning people into powerful godly beings. Its power is way more that historical.

The Bible contains real historical events, prophecies, poetry, prophecies, figures of speech and anything it says about science is true and much more. So Jesus treated historical accounts as trustworthy as He referred to the accounts of Noah, Sodom And Gomorrah, Abraham, Moses, David, Solomon etc as historical events. He Himself came to fulfill many of the prophecies made in the Scriptures. He also came to give the proper interpretation of the Moral Law. It is only the Bible that can give the history of how the universe and life came about, man's purpose here on earth and what happens in the afterlife. All other propositions made by man outside the Bible are just speculations that hold no water. smiley

1 Like

Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by budaatum: 6:47pm On Jul 15, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

All other propositions made by man outside the Bible are just speculations that hold no water. smiley
You are free to believe so, but the evidence right in front of your eyes tells a different story. I'd go even further and claim you may 'believe' the above but you do not accept that it is true, for here you are speculating and claiming your very own speculation holds water. Or do you think your views alone conform completely with God's?

I myself would call the view expressed above an utter waste of the ministrations of the Holy Ghost and a complete disregard of its effect in allowing us to be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground. You would find that nations that understand this fact are the ones that God blesses and those that don't understand it aren't.
Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by budaatum: 7:41pm On Jul 15, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

By all means please point out any false doctrine(s) you think I may have so that we can trash them out on a separate thread. cheesy
You see, what you are asking me to do is make out the forest in my eye is smaller than the forest in your eye when the truth might be that the forest in my eye is bigger than the forest in your eye. Wouldn't it be much better if we reasoned together and help cut down trees in each other's forest?

I tell you Deg, there is forest in buda's eye too but by reasoning together, as in trully reasoning together instead of not hearing one another, we might just remove some of those trees that make up a forest.
Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:46pm On Jul 15, 2019
budaatum:

You are free to believe so, but the evidence right in front of your eyes tells a different story. I'd go even further and claim you may 'believe' the above but you do not accept that it is true, for here you are speculating and claiming your very own speculation holds water. Or do you think your views alone conform completely with God's?

The bible has the evidence but it even has something better than the evidence and that is the truth. The unique words of Jesus says:

"I am the way, the truth and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me" (John 14:6). It was Paige Patterson who said:

"It comes down to a question of truth. Every false religious expression is a religion of darkness. That doesn't mean there are no good things in that faith. But if Jesus is to be taken seriously when He says 'No one comes to the Father but through Me,' every other proposal is one of darkness."

budaatum:

I myself would call the view expressed above an utter waste of the ministrations of the Holy Ghost and a complete disregard of its effect in allowing us to be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground. You would find that nations that understand this fact are the ones that God blesses and those that don't understand it aren't.

Listen to what Albert Einstein scientist said:

"I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts. The rest are details" (The expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton University Press, page 202).

You can see how a real scientist said that he wants to know how God created the world. Real scientists think God's thought after Him. cool
Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by budaatum: 10:03pm On Jul 15, 2019
There is no dispute about Scripture being the Truth. What is being discussed here is how it is the Truth. It after all cannot be true that two or more contradictory Biblical historical facts can both literally be true, or that historical facts that have been found not to be as recorded in the Bible are literally or historically true. Yet, true they are despite the contradictions. The point of this discussion is how they are true, and not whether they are literally true or not.

OLAADEGBU:

The bible has the evidence but it even has something better than the evidence and that is the truth. The unique words of Jesus says:

"I am the way, the truth and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me" (John 14:6). It was Paige Patterson who said:

"It comes down to a question of truth. Every false religious expression is a religion of darkness. That doesn't mean there are no good things in that faith. But if Jesus is to be taken seriously when He says 'No one comes to the Father but through Me,' every other proposal is one of darkness."

Listen to what Albert Einstein scientist said:

"I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts. The rest are details" (The expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton University Press, page 202).

You can see how a real scientist said that he wants to know how God created the world. Real scientists think God's thought after Him. cool
Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by budaatum: 10:10pm On Jul 15, 2019
Regarding Einstein, a single quote of his does not do him justice. He never took Scripture as literally true. I reserve my comments on Paige Patterson.
Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:23pm On Jul 15, 2019
budaatum:

There is no dispute about Scripture being the Truth. What is being discussed here is how it is the Truth. It after all cannot be true that two or more contradictory Biblical historical facts can both literally be true, or that historical facts that have been found not to be as recorded in the Bible are literally or historically true. Yet, true they are despite the contradictions. The point of this discussion is how they are true, and not whether they are literally true or not.

"For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ" (John 1:17).

Truth is not a concept, it is a Person, and His name is Jesus. There is no contradiction in the Bible if you insist then point them out. cool
Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:30pm On Jul 15, 2019
budaatum:

Regarding Einstein, a single quote of his does not do him justice. He never took Scripture as literally true. I reserve my comments on Paige Patterson.

More quotes from the father of all scientists, Albert Einsten said:

"In the view of such harmony of the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognise, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support of such views." (The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton University Press, page 214).

Do you need more? cheesy
Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by budaatum: 10:37pm On Jul 15, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

More quotes from the father of all scientists, Albert Einsten said:

"In the view of such harmony of the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognise, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support of such views." (The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton University Press, page 214).

Do you need more? cheesy
More what? Are you arguing whether there is God
Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by budaatum: 10:41pm On Jul 15, 2019
It sounds to me like you want an argument instead of reasoning together. Sorry, but today is a day of Thou shalt not sin against the Holy Spirit.

OLAADEGBU:

"For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ" (John 1:17).

Truth is not a concept, it is a Person, and His name is Jesus. There is no contradiction in the Bible if you insist then point them out. cool
Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:11pm On Jul 16, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture

Most Christians at least give lip-service to following Christ. But what about His view of the Old Testament? How highly did He esteem its claims, both in His life and in His teaching, and do we embrace Scripture with the same zeal?

https://answersingenesis.org/is-the-bible-true/embracing-christs-view-of-scripture/

How extensively did Jesus trust and live by the Scriptures, which in His day were only the books of the Old Testament? How did He treat them in comparison to other claims of truth? After all, if Jesus is our Saviour and Lord, shouldn't we share the same view?
Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:20pm On Jul 19, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

How extensively did Jesus trust and live by the Scriptures, which in His day were only the books of the Old Testament? How did He treat them in comparison to other claims of truth? After all, if Jesus is our Saviour and Lord, shouldn't we share the same view?

Factual History

Jesus trusted the Scriptures completely, and He revealed His trust in a number of ways. One is the way He treated the Old Testament's historical accounts. He always treated them as trustworthy facts, even the events that many people today consider to be myths.

Jesus acknowledged that Adam and Eve were the first married couple (Matthew 19:3–6; Mark 10:3–9) and Abel was the first prophet and was martyred (Luke 11:50–51). He believed the accounts of Noah and the Flood (Matthew 24:37–39), Lot and his wife (Luke 17:28–32), Sodom and Gomorrah (Matthew 10:15), Moses and the serpent in the wilderness (John 3:14), the manna from heaven (John 6:32– 33, 6:49), the miracles of Elijah (Luke 4:25–27), Jonah and the big fish (Matthew 12:40–41)—the list goes on.

Jesus did not allegorize these accounts but took them as real events that actually happened just as the Old Testament describes. He used these past events to reassure His disciples that the future events of His own death, Resurrection, and Second Coming would likewise certainly happen in time-space reality.

To be continued...
Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:00pm On Jul 22, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Factual History

Jesus trusted the Scriptures completely, and He revealed His trust in a number of ways. One is the way He treated the Old Testament's historical accounts. He always treated them as trustworthy facts, even the events that many people today consider to be myths.

Jesus acknowledged that Adam and Eve were the first married couple (Matthew 19:3–6; Mark 10:3–9) and Abel was the first prophet and was martyred (Luke 11:50–51). He believed the accounts of Noah and the Flood (Matthew 24:37–39), Lot and his wife (Luke 17:28–32), Sodom and Gomorrah (Matthew 10:15), Moses and the serpent in the wilderness (John 3:14), the manna from heaven (John 6:32– 33, 6:49), the miracles of Elijah (Luke 4:25–27), Jonah and the big fish (Matthew 12:40–41)—the list goes on.

Jesus did not allegorize these accounts but took them as real events that actually happened just as the Old Testament describes. He used these past events to reassure His disciples that the future events of His own death, Resurrection, and Second Coming would likewise certainly happen in time-space reality.

To be continued...

Unshakeable Truth in Its Entirety

In John 10:34–35 Jesus said, "Scripture cannot be broken." That is, not only is the Bible's historical record accurate, but in prophecy, morality, theology, and every other teaching the Scriptures cannot be contradicted or confounded. In Luke 24:25–27 Jesus rebuked His disciples for not believing all that "the prophets" had spoken (which He equated with “all the Scriptures”). So, in Jesus's view, all Scripture is trustworthy and should be believed.
Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:33pm On Jul 23, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Unshakeable Truth in Its Entirety

In John 10:34–35 Jesus said, "Scripture cannot be broken." That is, not only is the Bible's historical record accurate, but in prophecy, morality, theology, and every other teaching the Scriptures cannot be contradicted or confounded. In Luke 24:25–27 Jesus rebuked His disciples for not believing all that "the prophets" had spoken (which He equated with “all the Scriptures”). So, in Jesus's view, all Scripture is trustworthy and should be believed.

Authority for Life

Jesus constantly quoted Scripture as a basis for His own teaching about how to live, such as church discipline (Matthew 18:16), marriage (Matthew 19:3–9), God's requirements for eternal life (Matthew 19:16–19), and the greatest commandment (Matthew 22:37–39).

NO STANDARD IS HIGHER THAN SCRIPTURE FOR WHAT WE ARE TO BELIEVE OR OBEY. FOR JESUS ALL THE SCRIPTURES WERE TRUSTWORTHY AND AUTHORITATIVE.

He used the Old Testament to justify cleansing the temple (Matthew 21:12–17) and picking grain on the Sabbath (Luke 6:3–4). He relied on Scripture, the sword of the Spirit (Ephesians 6:17), to resist the temptations of Satan (Matthew 4:1–10). And He stated unambiguously that the Old Testament supercedes all manmade traditions and ideas. No standard is higher than Scripture for what we are to believe and obey (Matthew 15:1–9; Mark 7:5–13). There is no evidence that Jesus picked and chose some parts of the Old Testament, such as the so-called theological, moral, or religious portions, and rejected others. For Him all the Scriptures were trustworthy and authoritative, down to the last letter (Matthew 5:18).

Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:03pm On Jul 25, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Authority for Life

Jesus constantly quoted Scripture as a basis for His own teaching about how to live, such as church discipline (Matthew 18:16), marriage (Matthew 19:3–9), God's requirements for eternal life (Matthew 19:16–19), and the greatest commandment (Matthew 22:37–39).

NO STANDARD IS HIGHER THAN SCRIPTURE FOR WHAT WE ARE TO BELIEVE OR OBEY. FOR JESUS ALL THE SCRIPTURES WERE TRUSTWORTHY AND AUTHORITATIVE.

He used the Old Testament to justify cleansing the temple (Matthew 21:12–17) and picking grain on the Sabbath (Luke 6:3–4). He relied on Scripture, the sword of the Spirit (Ephesians 6:17), to resist the temptations of Satan (Matthew 4:1–10). And He stated unambiguously that the Old Testament supercedes all manmade traditions and ideas. No standard is higher than Scripture for what we are to believe and obey (Matthew 15:1–9; Mark 7:5–13). There is no evidence that Jesus picked and chose some parts of the Old Testament, such as the so-called theological, moral, or religious portions, and rejected others. For Him all the Scriptures were trustworthy and authoritative, down to the last letter (Matthew 5:18).

Understandable as Written

We never find Jesus appealing to a higher authority to bring out some "hidden meaning" of Scripture. Jesus indicates that the Scriptures are essentially perspicuous (clear for the nonscholar to understand). Eleven times the Gospel writers record Him saying, "Have you not read . . . ?"1 and thirty times He defended His teaching by saying, "It is written."2 He rebuked His listeners for not understanding and believing what the text plainly says.
Re: Embracing Christ's View Of Scripture by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:43pm On Jul 26, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Understandable as Written

We never find Jesus appealing to a higher authority to bring out some "hidden meaning" of Scripture. Jesus indicates that the Scriptures are essentially perspicuous (clear for the nonscholar to understand). Eleven times the Gospel writers record Him saying, "Have you not read . . . ?"1 and thirty times He defended His teaching by saying, "It is written."2 He rebuked His listeners for not understanding and believing what the text plainly says.

Foundational to the Gospel

Jesus also said that believing the writings of Moses was foundational to believing His words (John 5:45–47). Like all the apostles and prophets, He clearly viewed the Bible's history as foundational to its theology and morality.

Besides the above-mentioned evidence that Jesus took Genesis 1–11 as straightforward, reliable history, several of His statements show that He believed in a literal six-day creation a few thousand years ago and the global Flood at the time of Noah. Most Christians who advocate millions of years of history, however, seem to overlook these statements.3

As the Son of Man, Jesus set us an example in His complete trust in Scripture's reliability and in His submission to its supreme authority. His promise that the Holy Spirit would lead His apostles into the truth (John 16:13) and those apostles' declaration that they wrote under divine inspiration (see 2 Peter 3:16) show that Jesus's view of the Old Testament also applies to the New Testament. Are you following His example?

(1) (Reply)

Why Do We Have To Swear B4 Commenting On Islamic Topics?? / Prophecy By Bro Joshua Iginla About Coronavirus On Dec 31 2013 / How Do I Enter The Synagogue (scoan)? Someone Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.