Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,882 members, 7,813,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

Is It Truly Important To Know Your Mother Tongue? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Truly Important To Know Your Mother Tongue? (643 Views)

Dealing With Mother Tongue / Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo / Use Your Mother Tongue In All Social Gatherings – Ohanaeze Tells Ndigbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Truly Important To Know Your Mother Tongue? by chainreader(f): 2:07pm On Jul 18, 2019
there is so much hype about knowing how to speak your native language but is it truly important?. i am an igbo girl who grew up in delta state, in a neighborhood were literally everybody spoke English. my estate consisted of people from all over the country, its was a very multi-ethnic environment . Just imagine how disorganized and chaotic it would have been if everyone spoke their own language. wasn't that how God caused confusion so those builders wont be able to build that tower to heaven?. Maybe that's why nigeria isn't thriving, we are to divided. most prosperous nations have one or two languages. that's not the point of this post though.

If there was anybody to take the blame for my inability to speak and understand igbo it would be my parents because they did not speak it to me . It just infuriates me when people look shocked and disappointed when i say i do not understand igbo. you can speak your language good for you, its really not that big of a deal. it doesn't make you particularly intelligent, i mean this is a language your parents or people around you spoke to you. you didn't make a conscious effort to learn it like; using "igbo encyclopedia " or taking a course on it. so why do people feel so proud of themselves or feel accomplished that they can speak their language . do not get me wrong, its great if you can speak your language but don't shove it in the faces of people who cant.

if you can speak a foreign language then that is a big deal because i know you really made an effort to learn it . not many people have french cooks or Spanish maids that they can pick up the language from. the funny things is that most people in my generation cant speak their language , well that's for my circle and people i know though. i predict in the next 15 to 20 years Nigerian native languages would gradually become obsolete.
so what do you guys think, is it important to learn your language?. i am very open minded and i would love to see different points of views

1 Like

Re: Is It Truly Important To Know Your Mother Tongue? by bigfrancis21: 7:53am On Jul 19, 2019
chainreader:
there is so much hype about knowing how to speak your native language but is it truly important?. i am an igbo girl who grew up in delta state, in a neighborhood were literally everybody spoke English. my estate consisted of people from all over the country, its was a very multi-ethnic environment . Just imagine how disorganized and chaotic it would have been if everyone spoke their own language. wasn't that how God caused confusion so those builders wont be able to build that tower to heaven?. Maybe that's why nigeria isn't thriving, we are to divided. most prosperous nations have one or two languages. that's not the point of this post though.

If there was anybody to take the blame for my inability to speak and understand igbo it would be my parents because they did not speak it to me . It just infuriates me when people look shocked and disappointed when i say i do not understand igbo. you can speak your language good for you, its really not that big of a deal. it doesn't make you particularly intelligent, i mean this is a language your parents or people around you spoke to you. you didn't make a conscious effort to learn it like; using "igbo encyclopedia " or taking a course on it. so why do people feel so proud of themselves or feel accomplished that they can speak their language . do not get me wrong, its great if you can speak your language but don't shove it in the faces of people who cant.

if you can speak a foreign language then that is a big deal because i know you really made an effort to learn it . not many people have french cooks or Spanish maids that they can pick up the language from. the funny things is that most people in my generation cant speak their language , well that's for my circle and people i know though. i predict in the next 15 to 20 years Nigerian native languages would gradually become obsolete.
so what do you guys think, is it important to learn your language?. i am very open minded and i would love to see different points of views

It is entirely the fault of your parents to not have taught you the language but you can still learn the language on your own if you put in the efforts. You need to recognize that as a child in Igboland you may be excused for your inability to speak but as an adult growing into your mid-40s and on you would not get that free pass. You will definitely stand out in the midst of other Igbo-speaking women of your age then (including those who self-taught themselves as adults and those who spoke from childhood). As an adult, it is entirely expected of you to be able to speak, these excuses you are giving will not fly then. Well, except maybe if you decide to relocate and live abroad where the expectation will not be high. From my experience, many Igbos who did not speak Igbo as children later grow up speaking it as adults. I have aunts who who were born in London (British citizens) in the 70s and 80s and who only did their secondary school education in Nigeria but are fluent speakers of Igbo. They didn't speak Igbo as children but learned it as young adults. You would never know they did not speak Igbo as children except they tell you.

Take a cue from Esther Ebigbo (Resonance - Lee Lee) and all her siblings who are all half german and half Nigerian but speak Igbo very fluently.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Truly Important To Know Your Mother Tongue? by Opiletool(m): 9:04am On Jul 19, 2019
So you're waiting for Nigerian languages to become obsolete in order to justify your unwillingness to learn your native tongue?

If Nigerians in diaspora are opening threads on nairaland, seeking how to learn their native tongue, then you have no excuse, considering the fact that there are igbo speaking group in that same delta state. But from your post, seems like you're not making the concious effort to even learn. Also, you sounded like you don't value your culture, because if you do, you wouldn't have said ability to speak one's mother tongue is not a big deal, knowing fully well that culture and language are inseparable.

1 Like

Re: Is It Truly Important To Know Your Mother Tongue? by chainreader(f): 9:03pm On Jul 21, 2019
i get your point of view
bigfrancis21:

It is entirely the fault of your parents to not have taught you the language but you can still learn the language on your own if you put in the efforts. You need to recognize that as a child in Igboland you may be excused for your inability to speak but as an adult growing into your mid-40s and on you would not get that free pass. You will definitely stand out in the midst of other Igbo-speaking women of your age then (including those who self-taught themselves as adults and those who spoke from childhood). As an adult, it is entirely expected of you to be able to speak, these excuses you are giving will not fly then. Well, except maybe if you decide to relocate and live abroad where the expectation will not be high. From my experience, many Igbos who did not speak Igbo as children later grow up speaking it as adults. I have aunts who who were born in London (British citizens) in the 70s and 80s and who only did their secondary school education in Nigeria but are fluent speakers of Igbo. They didn't speak Igbo as children but learned it as young adults. You would never know they did not speak Igbo as children except they tell you.

Take a cue from Esther Ebigbo (Resonance - Lee Lee) and all her siblings who are all half german and half Nigerian but speak Igbo very fluently.

(1) (Reply)

Odo-oro Ekiti Gets New Oba Oba Jemilehin Aladesodedero 1 Ascends Odo-oro Ekiti / It Is Wrong For A Man To Kneel Down And Propose To His Lover. PETE EDOCHIE / Supreme Court Removes Prominent Oyo Monarch, Eleruwa Of Eruwa In Oke-ogun, Oyo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.