Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,066 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / . (8697 Views)

Innoson: I Received Order For $4.7m Cars From SierraLeon As NASS Rejects My Cars / Are My Cars Drinking More Fuel Than Usual? / Guru's Please Help Me Read My Cars Mpg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by Abimby: 4:23am On Jul 24, 2019
H

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by Abimby: 4:23am On Jul 24, 2019
U
Re: . by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:25am On Jul 24, 2019
This is simply unacceptable!

Haba!

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: . by Abimby: 4:28am On Jul 24, 2019
a

2 Likes

Re: . by Oceannaagent: 5:49am On Jul 24, 2019
Additional cost, but some people are wicked

1 Like

Re: . by DelTel(m): 6:32am On Jul 24, 2019
That's what we face all the time.
I won't want to bore you with pictures.
It has really been worse, from batteries to name it.
The shipping lines especially Grimaldi lines up about 10cars and push them out of the vessel.
They are heartless, and of cos Nigerians.
I had once insisted they fish out the missing parts, sent email and spoke to their port manager or so.
However, they will tell you they are investigating and the vehicle will be incurring demurrage.

Ask Calculusx how many Lexus remote keys he has had to replace.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by Abimby: 7:40am On Jul 24, 2019
So it's just an effort in futility trying address this.

DelTel:
The shipping lines especially Grimaldi lines up about 10cars and push them out of the vessel.
I had once insisted they fish out the missing parts, sent email and spoke to their port manager or so.
However, they will tell you they are investigating and the vehicle will be incurring demurrage.

Re: . by Readonee35L(m): 7:52am On Jul 24, 2019
This one is very fair.
I've experienced worse.
Most times they use this cars to push one another inside the port bumper to bumper style like those Danfo you see on the road.

Someone i know got his vehicles damaged in Five Star.

016 es350 and 016 lx570
The lx570 had dents everywhere. Imagine a vehicle of such value and price
The es was Totaled and wrecked in the port

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by Abimby: 7:58am On Jul 24, 2019
r

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: . by Lexusgs430: 8:17am On Jul 24, 2019
Readonee35L:
This one is very fair.
I've experienced worse.
Most times they use this cars to push one another inside the port bumper to bumper style like those Danfo you see on the road.

016 es350 and 016 lx570

Imagine the owner going to claim his very clean Lexus and meet with this sight....... The owner would become extremely tachy.......

Best to insure each vehicle and if vehicle is of considerable value, put in a container........

2 Likes

Re: . by Lexusgs430: 8:18am On Jul 24, 2019
Readonee35L:
This one is very fair.
I've experienced worse.

016 es350 and 016 lx570

This sort of damage....... They must explain and compensate for ..........

Did they have the effrontery to request clearing fee?......

2 Likes

Re: . by calculusx(m): 8:32am On Jul 24, 2019
OP...Take heart. It's unfortunate how we do things over here. I don't think those drivers saddled with this responsibility have their own personal Cars, if not they won't drive them the way they do.
Look at the Camry below, I almost rejected the Vehicle when my Agent delivered it to me. Fender,Front & Back Bumber and Driver door were damaged. I was lucky enough they folded the rear bumper in the Car. What could have affected the rear bumber if not that they tow the Cars danfo style.
Cars with Keyless entry are the worst hit. 8 out of 10 keys will get missing. Some of these port rats print sticker with inscription "missing key". Once they steal your key they put the sticker on the windscreen making it look as if it's from US. In one of my complaints, Grimaldi confirmed they had no such sticker. Who now put the sticker on the windscreen?
Call Chidi on 07033770106 and see if he can help

1 Like

Re: . by DelTel(m): 10:39am On Jul 24, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Imagine the owner going to claim his very clean Lexus and meet with this sight....... The owner would become extremely tachy.......

Best to insure each vehicle and if vehicle is of considerable value, put in a container........

Insurance doesn't cover damage like this.
Only vessel wreck leading to total loss of the vehicle is covered. Premium paid is $1 if am correct.
Re: . by Lexusgs430: 11:15am On Jul 24, 2019
DelTel:

Insurance doesn't cover damage like this.
Only vessel wreck leading to total loss of the vehicle is covered. Premium paid is $1 if am correct.

So who would be held liable?.... Don't tell me it's owners loss..... Wharf must have some sort of liability insurance..........

1 Like

Re: . by DelTel(m): 11:23am On Jul 24, 2019
Lexusgs430:

This sort of damage....... They must explain and compensate for ..........

Did they have the effrontery to request clearing fee?......

They only collect Shipping fee which is paid in the abroad often before you see the vehicle at all.
Re: . by Lexusgs430: 11:26am On Jul 24, 2019
DelTel:

They only collect Shipping fee which is paid in the abroad often before you see the vehicle at all.

But you pay a local fee, before vehicle is released...... In this case, would owner be expected to pay?...... tongue

1 Like

Re: . by DelTel(m): 11:32am On Jul 24, 2019
Lexusgs430:

So who would be held liable?.... Don't tell me it's owners loss..... Wharf must have some sort of liability insurance..........

No Underwriter (insurance company) will cover such negligence as it is willful.

I told about 3 agents their umbrella body ANCLA should take this up but they all said their association is useless.

Another way is: we, vehicle importers documenting all these with enough facts (pictures before and after) and sending to them in the first instance. I know Calculusx has some acknowledge letters overtime and successful put thru some claims against them. I have over 5 emails unacknowledged.

Furthermore, some form of peaceful protest by us would suffice if they don't change cos really, you can't do without them in the importation value chain.

7 Likes

Re: . by Lexusgs430: 11:36am On Jul 24, 2019
DelTel:

No Underwriter (insurance company) will cover such negligence as it is willful.

I told about 3 agents their umbrella body ANCLA should take this up but they all said their association is useless.

Another way is: we, vehicle importers documenting all these with enough facts (pictures before and after) and sending to them in the first instance. I know Calculusx has some acknowledge letters overtime and successful put thru some claims against them. I have over 5 emails unacknowledged.

Furthermore, some form of peaceful protest by us would suffice if they don't change cos really, you can't do without them in the importation value chain.

But that's the sole purpose of insurance, to insure against unforeseen loss........

Nigerian system is probably the weakest link....... Imagine importing a vehicle to a working country and vehicle is badly damaged.......

An insurance company, would surely be picking the tab.......

2 Likes

Re: . by DelTel(m): 11:38am On Jul 24, 2019
Lexusgs430:

But you pay a local fee, before vehicle is released...... In this case, would owner be expected to pay?...... tongue

If anyone refuses to pay any approved fee across the value chain (the vehicle won't be released) and demurrage starts counting no matter the cause of the problem. For instance, if Customs network is down for days or a strike action at the Port or anything, importer and agent will still pay for the storage/demurrage.

It is a Catch 22 scenario: do you leave your vehicle to incur demurrage while pursuing a claim against them which most likely won't be honored or you move on.

Mind you, I don't think there is anywhere in the world except Nigeria that demurrage is paid (I stand to be corrected thou).

1 Like

Re: . by DelTel(m): 11:42am On Jul 24, 2019
Lexusgs430:

But that's the sole purpose of insurance, to insure against unforeseen loss........

Nigerian system is probably the weakest link....... Imagine importing a vehicle to a working country and vehicle is badly damaged.......

An insurance company, would surely be picking the tab.......

Unforseen sir, not willful.
Mind you, willful act could also be criminal sometimes so insurance can't cover it.
Re: . by Lexusgs430: 11:49am On Jul 24, 2019
DelTel:

Unforseen sir, not willful.
Mind you, willful act could also be criminal sometimes so insurance can't cover it.

But you agree some insurance companies cover all sorts of damage?......

Let's assume this is criminal damage happened on the wharfs premises....... What would be the eventual outcome?

No wonder erico2k2 threw his RR inside a container...... I initially though it was a waste of money, but seeing this level of damage, makes one's heart sink......

4 Likes

Re: . by Lexusgs430: 11:50am On Jul 24, 2019
DelTel:

If anyone refuses to pay any approved fee across the value chain (the vehicle won't be released) and demurrage starts counting no matter the cause of the problem. For instance, if Customs network is down for days or a strike action at the Port or anything, importer and agent will still pay for the storage/demurrage.

It is a Catch 22 scenario: do you leave your vehicle to incur demurrage while pursuing a claim against them which most likely won't be honored or you move on.

Mind you, I don't think there is anywhere in the world except Nigeria that demurrage is paid (I stand to be corrected thou).

Our system is totally rotten to the core.......

4 Likes

Re: . by DelTel(m): 12:39pm On Jul 24, 2019
Lexusgs430:

But you agree some insurance companies cover all sorts of damage?......

Let's assume this is criminal damage happened on the wharfs premises....... What would be the eventual outcome?

No wonder erico2k2 threw his RR inside a container...... I initially though it was a waste of money, but seeing this level of damage, makes one's heart sink......

No sir, that's too wide to say: every policy has exclusion clause(s).

One of the principle of insurance is Utmost Good Faith.

Another is the principle of Loss Minimization: which states that the insured must take all necessary steps to curtail the loss of insured property (not willfully cause which is the case here). It is the main responsibility of the insured to act diligently and take all steps to cut/curtail losses to the insured property not be the perpetrator by himself (shipping lines) or authorized representative (paid drivers).
Re: . by Lexusgs430: 12:54pm On Jul 24, 2019
DelTel:

No sir, that's too wide to say: every policy has exclusion clause(s).

One of the principle of insurance is Utmost Good Faith.

Another is the principle of Loss Minimization: which states that the insured must take all necessary steps to curtail the loss of insured property (not willfully cause which is the case here). It is the main responsibility of the insured to act diligently and take all steps to cut/curtail losses to the insured property not be the perpetrator by himself (shipping lines) or authorized representative (paid drivers).

This takes me back almost 30 years...... uberrimae fides..... Thanx for bringing back nostalgic feelings......

I agree with the insured position, i am talking about liability insurance, on the part of the authorities.........
Re: . by sheffyUTD(m): 12:56pm On Jul 24, 2019
DelTel:

@ bolded, once the claims department are notified, they will inspect and you can take delivery after, the vehicle does not have to stay forever, just a day or two.

The key is to let your agent know the condition of the vehicle before arrival, so as to know what to look for before the vehicle is exited from terminal, the moment it's out, nothing, I repeat, nothing can be done.
Re: . by alphaNomega: 3:58pm On Jul 24, 2019
DelTel:

What if staff of Grimaldi are behind the theft?
Re: . by asamwababy: 4:00pm On Jul 24, 2019
This is heart breaking.

This is where investigative journalism comes in and main reason why our media houses lack content.

This is an interesting piece where a journalist goes under cover and shoots a documetary on this issue.

Can imagine a documentary aired on Tv and Newspapers and captioned Lagos port where Customs lack control and Carlessness of shipping Lines which leads to the intentional destruction of imported vehicles in good condition at the Lagos port.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by alphaNomega: 4:01pm On Jul 24, 2019
Readonee35L:
This one is very fair.
I've experienced worse.

016 es350 and 016 lx570

This is pure wickedness!

1 Like

Re: . by alphaNomega: 4:02pm On Jul 24, 2019
Lexusgs430:

You mean these vehicles were not in a container? I'm sorry I don't know how it works
Re: . by Lexusgs430: 4:16pm On Jul 24, 2019
alphaNomega:

You mean these vehicles were not in a container? I'm sorry I don't know how it works

Nope, RORO......
Re: . by DelTel(m): 4:20pm On Jul 24, 2019
sheffyUTD:

@ bolded, once the claims department are notified, they will inspect and you can take delivery after, the vehicle does not have to stay forever, just a day or two.

The key is to let your agent know the condition of the vehicle before arrival, so as to know what to look for before the vehicle is exited from terminal, the moment it's out, nothing, I repeat, nothing can be done.

Thanks for this, I will try it out when next it happens.

2 Likes

Re: . by DelTel(m): 4:22pm On Jul 24, 2019
asamwababy:
This is heart breaking.

This is where investigative journalism comes in and main reason why our media houses lack content.

This is an interesting piece where a journalist goes under cover and shoots a documetary on this issue.

Can imagine a documentary aired on Tv and Newspapers and captioned Lagos port where Customs lack control and Carlessness of shipping Lines which leads to the intentional destruction of imported vehicles in good condition at the Lagos port.

Fantastic.
Meanwhile cameras are not allowed at all in the port environs.
Like you said, investigative journalism.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Maint Reqd Light Issue / 12 Amazing Car Care Tips You Should Know About / Synthetic Motor Oil Versus Conventional Motor Oil Cold Pour Comparison Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.