Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,822,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

How Do Web Hosts/developers Make Money In Nigeria? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Do Web Hosts/developers Make Money In Nigeria? (1138 Views)

How Do I Deploy My Web Apps To Live Online Web Hosts? / Web Hosts That Has E-library Php Suite On The C-panel / Nigerian Web Hosts Vs Foreign Web Hosts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Web Hosts/developers Make Money In Nigeria? by my2cents(m): 4:24pm On May 12, 2007
To whom it may concern:

As a company/individual, how do you make money charging as low as N1,800 for various services? I ask this question based on the information I have gleaned from various sites advertised on this forum. I am not in naija and perhaps there is something I am missing here.

At the end of the day, saving the customer money and eliminating the competition are good things but as a business, the ultimate aim is to make a profit. Again, I am not there and so I don't want to make assumptions, but N1,800, the last I was there, doesn't buy much and I doubt covers the overhead.

Thanks in advance for your responses
Re: How Do Web Hosts/developers Make Money In Nigeria? by krs1(m): 12:39am On May 13, 2007
It is as simple as this, there are so many desperate webdesigners out there who will do anything for some cheese even if they cant deliver.
It makes the rest of us who know what we are doing look bad.
Trust some nigerians, they go for these guys because its damn to cheap and at the end of the day they cry blue murder

Okay, for example, take a look at majority of nigerian sites. you will find most of them incomplete or lacking no content at all.
I mean, can you even get a decent domain for 1,800 naira? GOD DAMN 
Its not even enough to fuel my car  tongue
Re: How Do Web Hosts/developers Make Money In Nigeria? by gbolio4(m): 3:40am On May 13, 2007
I wanted to really talk on this observation by my2cents,

But Mr. krs1 happens to have picked EVERY SINGLE WORD i was gonna speak right outta my lips!!

I don't know how he did it, so don't ask me, smiley

On a more serious note, i think the bottom line, what it all boils down to, is desperation!. And that's as good an explanation as anybody will get,
Re: How Do Web Hosts/developers Make Money In Nigeria? by Afam(m): 6:47pm On May 13, 2007
Those who charge this low never last more than a couple of months and sooner than later they fizzle out of business.

Good enough some of us would not be appreciated much if clients that first experience wahala from such service providers.

In reality it helps to differentiate the serious ones from the unserious, personal opinion so hide your sword if the statement is not welcome in your domain.
Re: How Do Web Hosts/developers Make Money In Nigeria? by abhosts(m): 8:01am On May 14, 2007
Web hosting is a relatively cheap commodity the world over. That’s why you now find offers that give you 200GB of web space for as cheap as $6 a month all over the internet. So you simply cannot limit this observation to Nigeria.

In Naija, the prices do not really determine the service you receive. There are web hosts that charge awfully high prices, yet they have very poor customer relations and unreliable servers. I know of someone that paid N5000 to register a domain, at the end of the day, he got nothing. On the other hand, we have cheap hosts that offer great services.
Re: How Do Web Hosts/developers Make Money In Nigeria? by krs1(m): 10:32pm On May 14, 2007
@ abhosts: You butressed my point when you mentioned this friend of yours who paid N5000 for a domain and got nothing.
I dont use hosting services from naija but go for the global ones like hostgator.com and ipowerweb for my clients.
I tried nairahost.com one time when my credit card wasnt within reach and they are good but then it was N2500 for a domain only.

A naija hosting site must have a clear record of stability and prompt service to get my vote. So in summary, i would say naija hosting sites would need to step up their acts.

abhosts, e be like say you dey offer hosting as well  wink.
which one is it?
Re: How Do Web Hosts/developers Make Money In Nigeria? by my2cents(m): 11:25pm On May 14, 2007
abhosts,

sorry for not making it clear. I am actually referring to various web services (hosting, development, etc) and not just hosting.

Even if I was referring to just hosting, still, N1,800 doesn't go far. It would if they had say, 100,000 customers but I doubt such companies even have 30% of that.
Re: How Do Web Hosts/developers Make Money In Nigeria? by fitinwell: 11:20am On May 19, 2007
Base on the ?s 2cent asked is a very good 1. well i don't think that most incompitent webdesigners i don't think there desperate, but spoiling business for we that as accept this as a full time professionals and that we have future in it.

now, imagine building a dynamic multimedia website, some for 5 page and more, and clients that knows your are good in this field finds it hard to even pay #35,000 some will come down as low as #15,000 they will tell you somebody is ready to design for dem #7,500 this si crazy, ! i will say,

and check out those site, it meart be rich in content but not proffessionally layout,

examples http://www.successisnow.org/

(1) (Reply)

Alertpay Wahala / How Much Should I Charge For This Website? / Can I Go For Adsense Account Now?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.