Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,087 members, 7,811,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? (13472 Views)

Workplace Christmas Bonus: What Did Your Workplace Give Out As Christmas Bonus / Okada Ban: Gokada Sacks Employees In Lagos / How To Easily Manipulate Your Way To The Top At Your Workplace:Johnspeak Uwangue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by H100: 2:33pm On Jul 27, 2019
i must first say that the overall impression shared among company hierarchies is; If any employee is unable to perform the duties of their job, they should be terminated regardless of circumstances. Business is business.

– Firms are trying so hard to stay afloat amidst fierce economic pressure. Hubs are closing down and business owners are trying to survive too. but if someone passes on for instance, will the organisation go down the drain? sure the the answer is NO!!!, Empathy should be first priority for businesses. It’s both the employees and the employers that drive companies forward.

Yes, It is a sensitive situation and there are a lot of facts that one may probably miss out. The burden of proof will therefore always be with the employers to determine if discrimination against a pregnant woman took place. Some inhumane stories of promotion being withheld because pregnant employees were out for few months on maternity leave may not justify the proof even

Here are dissatisfying stories and examples of pregnancy discrimination in workplace that stirred up this blog post.

Story 1 of 5

I went for an interview in a school and the school owner was asking me … How serious is my relationship since am single? Am I getting married or pregnant anytime soon Oh my goodness!!! I told her ma!!! These are Personal questions. I later got employed, immediately a colleague became visibly pregnant, she was sacked !

Story 2 of 5 examples of pregnancy discrimination in workplace

My cousin was fired last year March.
I don’t like to talk about this but I will for one reason, ”pregnancy”
Being her first pregnancy, she was finding it difficult to adjust to the activities at work.
Her boss complained several times but she pleaded for more time to make amendments.
Her boss got fed up as she wasn’t really effective and it was affecting the company’s productivity.
Few weeks after, she was booted out and compensated.
Although her boss said it wasn’t because of her present state.
He said it was purely for business reasons and the decision was made by the board.
She became depressed. Thanks to her wonderful husband who stood by her.
Who knows what might have happened to her or the unborn child?
She gave birth to a bouncing baby boy, and also got a new job last month.

All these are discrimination, without any doubt. In France, you simply can’t fire someone during the stage of pregnancy, it’s in the law! We are not robots, we are humans, and sometimes I wonder if CEOs or whoever runs a company remember what it is, a human being

The work environment shouldn’t continue to discriminate against women by virtue of their reproductive tendencies. Being pregnant does not stop you from being effective, These are seemingly little but mighty factors that should be addressed in order to combat the wide spread low socio-economic status among women and the feminization of poverty.

To be fair, some business owners have and show empathy for their employees. Unfortunately, sometimes, the problem is not always with employers or ‘the board’, the problem could be with Managers and those who play to the gallery to/and hamper other manager’s efforts in creating the employee-centrist culture, with this exceptional story below, you may want to agree with me.

Agree it’s a challenge but being honest and impartial, i can see both sides of every of these 5 stories. business don’t stop just because one is pregnant and most businesses are very compassionate. I urge woman to look for career opportunities that will align with your family future goals as well.

Read more: https://onegoodhead.com/pregnancy-discrimination-workplace/

7 Likes

Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by ArthurADM(m): 4:23pm On Jul 27, 2019
Trust me, I find it joyful helping them out at work. 9 months of carriage and additional baby care months won't ruin a business. If I were to be a manager, it's easy to cope with pregnant employees, how?
a. Readjusting their working hours
b. Pick a working mate at the office who will faithfully assist in completing their tasks
c. Securing them.

It's just pregnancy - it's not a bomb

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by NwaAmaikpe: 6:04pm On Jul 27, 2019
shocked

Pregnant women are annoying and a total liability on the team.

It may seem mean but the ideal thing to do is to give them a full leave of absence with no pay during their pregnancy days during which a temporary worker will take on their beat.
Then once post-partum, place them on half pay till they resume.

Pregnant women have an awful sense of entitlement.
They think they deserve special preferences because they have a lump in their midriffs.

It's so common to see a pregnant woman jump queues, spit indiscriminately or not carry out assigned job functions and when you question her unruly attitude, she'd say,
"Pity me, it's because of my condition".

Very ironic how they'd want people to pity them like they are serving a punishment when they were the ones who screamed loudest, chewed the pillow case and even begged Papa Karimu to ram them harder on the fateful night of conception.

110 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by Paroh(f): 6:05pm On Jul 27, 2019
I wouldn't know about that.

Keep that konji at bay. Save yourself till marriage for your wife. Use a pocket puvsay instead. See my signature

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by BELKIS(f): 6:06pm On Jul 27, 2019
lipsrsealed
Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by Cutefergieee: 6:06pm On Jul 27, 2019
Waiting for the elders
Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by Yemiwonder(m): 6:07pm On Jul 27, 2019
Hmm
Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by HMZi: 6:08pm On Jul 27, 2019
ArthurADM:
Trust me, I find it joyful helping them out at work. 9 months of carriage and additional baby care months won't ruin a business. If I were to be a manager, it's easy to cope with pregnant employees, how?
b. Pick a working mate at the office who will faithfully assist in completing their tasks
c. Securing them.

na because you never own company,dey there dey talk

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by keletex2000(m): 6:08pm On Jul 27, 2019
cry
Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by Richdad50(m): 6:09pm On Jul 27, 2019
shocked
Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by badonkadonk: 6:10pm On Jul 27, 2019
ArthurADM:
c. Securing them.

Not everyone thinks like you. 99.9% of managers are from hell fire.

12 Likes

Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by erifeoluwasimi(f): 6:11pm On Jul 27, 2019
Maybe,I have worked hard working pregnant women who are agile at second and third trimester. I have also seen some who are lazy throughout the pregnancy. The truth is immediately I discover you are being lazy on purpose you are gone. As a woman I can deduce when you are strong as a pregnant woman. Some pregnant women will chat for hours during meetings but can't carry a file when at duty.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by Babaheekmat: 6:11pm On Jul 27, 2019
This is 9ja

No law
Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by tammie24: 6:14pm On Jul 27, 2019
Sensitive situation

1 Like

Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by TOPMAN4LIFE: 6:14pm On Jul 27, 2019
It is good to help and make work easy for pregnant women especially the ones that have good manners
Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by Samakus(m): 6:16pm On Jul 27, 2019
Truth be told, many pregnant women are most often than not, liabilities in a workplace. Their productivities are severely hampered and they have this annoying sense of privileges. Just few of them are exceptions to the above stated happenstance.

Still, I believe that they should be condoned, not because they're as productive as they should be, but as a form of compensation to the difficult period of pregnancy and subsequent childbirth. Nature made it so

6 Likes

Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by macklef(m): 6:18pm On Jul 27, 2019
Pregnancy hits women in different ways.
Its bad to compare A during pregnancy because she is agile and B as useless because she is weak.

To determine whether a pregnant woman deserves concession or not, i will evaluate their pre-preg performance. If she was not giving her best before preg and dwindles further during preg, she can go but if she was top notch before preg, mo matter what, her level of efficiency may never be low as the former.
Then she deserves to be condoned.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by chigoziri2403(m): 6:20pm On Jul 27, 2019
Private companies do that a lot, if you want protection and full entitlement, seek solace in a government organization
Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by Olorunnim: 6:21pm On Jul 27, 2019
I don't pay you to get pregnant and slowdown productivity.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jul 27, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

It may seem mean but the ideal thing to do is to give them a full leave of absence with no pay during their pregnancy days during which a temporary worker will take on their beat.

They think they deserve special preferences because they have a lump in their midriffs.

It's so common to see a pregnant woman jump queues, spit indiscriminately or not carry out assigned job functions and when you question her unruly attitude, she'd say,
Very ironic how they'd want people to pity them like they are serving a punishment when they were the ones who screamed loudest, chewed the pillow case and even begged Papa Karimu to ram them harder on the fateful night of conception.

grin grin grin now I understand why some nairalanders were soapying on your name during your sabbatical

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by amiibaby(f): 6:24pm On Jul 27, 2019
Ok
Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by Lovelyn451(f): 6:24pm On Jul 27, 2019
Dont
Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by Aidejay(m): 6:26pm On Jul 27, 2019
My own is
When she's pregnant I won't let my wife work
Simple
Every man to his tent

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by mamajj17(f): 6:30pm On Jul 27, 2019
Aidejay:
My own is
When she's pregnant I won't let my wife work
Simple
Every man to his tent

You indeed a REAL MAN, one of a Kind. Keep it up Bros wink

7 Likes

Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by Angelfrost(m): 6:33pm On Jul 27, 2019
HMZi:
na because you never own company,dey there dey talk

Don't mind the women-pleaser... They think business is a joking matter or place for charity, especially in these unhealthy economic climes...

Pregnancy should be a decision between couples, and they are supposed to count the cost of such decision to procreate... Not expecting a hustling and profit-minded company to bear the cost.

As NwaAmaikpe said above, they should be allowed the luxury of leave without pay, and willing individuals placed temporarily on their duties and salary...

A business shouldn't suffer to accommodate the procreative needs of you and your partner... This should also apply in Government establishments.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by Antichristus: 6:40pm On Jul 27, 2019
Lawless Nigeria. In saner climes you cannot on any grounds discriminate against pregnant women. Your fine would financially drain your business.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? by dazzlingd(m): 6:40pm On Jul 27, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

You just said the truth many are afraid of saying...

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

"JUJU" Assistance To Get a Job (is It Possible?) / NPOWER Has Changed My Career Prospect. / Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.