Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,476 members, 7,816,123 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By (3062 Views)

The Day I Got Stranded At Lagos. / Slipping Into Depression! Please Help. / How To Fight Depression As A Job Seeker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 27, 2019
please nairalanders i am losing my senses and entering into depression as the day goes by.

I am a young lawyer, i came out with a 2.1 in my Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) and 2.1 from the Nigerian Law School.

I really worked my ass out in school to get good grades but uptill now no job. I have applied to several law firms, companies, federal institutions but no headway.

They keep on saying no vacancy, i guess the Nigerian factor of knowing somebody playing out. I dont have any god father to help me.

I really need your help. i am based in Lagos but if i see a good offer in Abuja i dont mind relocating.

I am versatile and willing to work in a law firm, bank, company, NGO or any place a lawyer can work.
Thanks and God bless.
ugochuks@live.com
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by CanadaOrBust: 4:02pm On Jul 27, 2019
My advice: don’t see yourself as someone with a law degree. See yourself as someone out to make some dough and willing to do what it takes to make it.
Otherwise that law degree will limit you and blind u to opportunities.

18 Likes

Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by SLAP44: 4:04pm On Jul 27, 2019
What about charge and bail?

3 Likes

Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 27, 2019
SLAP44:
What about charge and bail?
lol bro i am serious here please

1 Like

Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Kenoxman(m): 4:24pm On Jul 27, 2019
It's time to give ur law degree some break.
Truth is,the law firm is somehow saturated. Young lawers without connection find it
difficult to scale through, while a gud number of those that made it into reputable firms are being payed ridiculously meagre wages.
I think it's time to monitize the skills u hav acquired over the years. If you hav to learn new skills, plz do. Don't say it's too late cos no tym is late for anything worthwhile.
With ur skill paying u, u will be relaxed and confident enof to pursue ur profession.
Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jul 27, 2019
Kenoxman:
Truth is,the law firm is somehow saturated. Young lawers without connection find it
difficult to scale through, while a gud number of those that made it into reputable firms are being payed ridiculously meagre wages.
I think it's time to monitize the skills u hav acquired over the years. If you hav to learn new skills, plz do. Don't say it's too late cos no tym is late for anything worthwhile.
With ur skill paying u, u will be relaxed and confident enof to pursue ur profession.
Cheers.
thank you very much for these tips

1 Like

Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 27, 2019
CanadaOrBust:
My advice: don’t see yourself as someone with a law degree. See yourself as someone out to make some dough and willing to do what it takes to make it.
thank you bro for these words of encouragement.
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by sammirano: 4:27pm On Jul 27, 2019
The power of information is immeasurable. If as a law graduate you still complain of jobs, then there is a problem. Opportunities abound, you just need to see beyond what you see.
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Kenoxman(m): 4:28pm On Jul 27, 2019
CanadaOrBust:
My point exactly. And this is the biggest challenge young graduates face not just lack of jobs.
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jul 27, 2019
sammirano:
The power of information is immeasurable. If as a law graduate you still complain of jobs, then there is a problem. Opportunities abound, you just need to see beyond what you see.
bro i have like 10 or even more job sites i check daily and i constantly apply to any vacancy i come across
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jul 27, 2019
Amicusacuriae:
bro i have like 10 or even more job sites i check daily and i constantly apply to any vacancy i come across. Giving me useful tips will be helpful
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by CanadaOrBust: 4:55pm On Jul 27, 2019
Kenoxman:

My point exactly. And this is the biggest challenge young graduates face not just lack of jobs.

Another trick he can also use is start working for a reputable law firm for FREE. People always like free stuff

1 Like

Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by CanadaOrBust: 5:02pm On Jul 27, 2019
Amicusacuriae:
thank you bro for these words of encouragement.

U r welcome. Like I said above, u may also offer to work for free. Also join lawyer associations like NBA
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by neoG(f): 5:08pm On Jul 27, 2019
You just said it all here....
Op should offer free services, try and also focus on other opportunities to keep body and soul together. Once he is under less pressure, his dream job will come

Kenoxman:
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jul 27, 2019
neoG:
Op should offer free services, try and also focus on other opportunities to keep body and soul together. Once he is under less pressure, his dream job will come

Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by neoG(f): 5:12pm On Jul 27, 2019
U welcome smiley
Amicusacuriae:
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Kenoxman(m): 5:22pm On Jul 27, 2019
neoG:

And when under pressure, one could settle for less when he/she is meant for more.
Thanks for this.
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 27, 2019
Kenoxman:

And when under pressure, one could settle for less when he/she is meant for more.
Thanks for this.
thank you very much

1 Like

Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 27, 2019
Even lawyer dey cry
?
shocked

1 Like

Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 27, 2019
[quote author=qualityGod post=80685410]Even lawyer dey cry
?
shocked[/quote bro everyone is affected by this hard economy]
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 27, 2019
[quote author=Amicusacuriae post=80685447][/quote] so sad cry
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by franchasng: 6:53pm On Jul 27, 2019
Go into political youth activism. Offer to help youths with crimeless cases get justice.

Create a Twitter handle and name it: FreeLawyer

Anytime you see trending topic or hashtag on Nigerian twitter, jump in and offer free service as a lawyer to the oppressed and youths, this way, you will gain recognition and watch reputable chambers come after you with offers.

Go into property sales and marketing. Go to new estates, approach the construction engineers and share your card, get a business card. Tell them you can help them do legal matters concerning their properties and estates.

Whenever you can, dress up and visit court sessions during popular cases and watch and observe court proceedings.

Law is no longer a lucrative course in Nigeria because Nigerians know that our legal and security systems are dead, you can't find justice there, you will only end up spending the little you have without getting justice, it happened to me when someone absconded with my money (huge money), I spent the one I had mobilizing Police to arrest him some years ago, and spent more chasing shadows in court, at the end he got convicted for 6 months and now he is walking free while my money is gone for good.

So Nigerians don't hire lawyers because it is useless, making law profession non lucrative in this day and time.

So don't rely just on your law degree, you need to do something different from other numerous law graduates out there, exemplify yourself with your extra skills and services to humanity to gain recognition and once you gain that little popularity as a lawyer, you will become made, so don't give up okay.

Also make a research on how to become a notary helping people process affidavit in proxy without them visiting the court. Then find a small office near an LGA or bank concentration area where people need to do lots of paper documentation cos there must be errors requiring affidavit to correct. Then approach offices around there including business centers to introduce your job as a notary and they will be referring people to you. You will be making up to 1,000naira per affidavit, so if you get numbers daily, check the earnings.

There are lots of things you can start while walking your way up

21 Likes

Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by SendAbroad: 7:05pm On Jul 27, 2019
Amicusacuriae:
please nairalanders i am losing my senses and entering into depression as the day goes by.

I am a young lawyer, i came out with a 2.1 in my Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) and 2.1 from the Nigerian Law School.

I really worked my ass out in school to get good grades but uptill now no job. I have applied to several law firms, companies, federal institutions but no headway.

They keep on saying no vacancy, i guess the Nigerian factor of knowing somebody playing out. I dont have any god father to help me.

I really need your help. i am based in Lagos but if i see a good offer in Abuja i dont mind relocating.

I am versatile and willing to work in a law firm, bank, company, NGO or any place a lawyer can work.
Thanks and God bless.
ugochuks@live.com

Instead of being depressed, start like Festus Keyamo...go and start from Charge and bail lawyer get a cameraman that will always follow you about and blow your successes on TV or Social Media...before you know, you will start getting high profile court cases, use more TV to blow up your prosecution and successes...before you know it, come back and thank me later.
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 27, 2019
SendAbroad:

Instead of being depressed, start like Festus Keyamo...go and start from Charge and bail lawyer get a cameraman that will always follow you about and blow your successes on TV or Social Media...before you know, you will start getting high profile court cases, use more TV to blow up your prosecution and successes...before you know it, come back and thank me later.
thank you bro for the tips
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by jesmond3945: 7:48pm On Jul 27, 2019
Op go and learn a skill, ICT while volunteer your services in a law firm to get the experience.
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 27, 2019
franchasng:
Go into political youth activism. Offer to help youths with crimeless cases get justice.

Create a Twitter handle and name it: FreeLawyer

Anytime you see trending topic or hashtag on Nigerian twitter, jump in and offer free service as a lawyer to the oppressed and youths, this way, you will gain recognition and watch reputable chambers come after you with offers.

Go into property sales and marketing. Go to new estates, approach the construction engineers and share your card, get a business card. Tell them you can help them do legal matters concerning their properties and estates.

Whenever you can, dress up and visit court sessions during popular cases and watch and observe court proceedings.

Law is not a lucrative course in Nigeria because Nigerians know that our legal and security systems are dead, you can't find justice there, you will only end up spending the little you have without getting justice, it happened to me when someone absconded with my money (huge money), I spent the one I have mobilizing Police to arrest him some years ago, and spent more chasing shadows in court, at the end he got convicted of 6 months and now he is walking free while my money is gone for good.

So Nigerians don't hire lawyers because it is useless, making law profession non lucrative in this day and time.

So don't rely just on your law degree, you need to do something different from other numerous law graduated out there, exemplify yourself with your extra skills and services to humanity to gain recognition and once you gain that little popularity as a lawyer, you will become made, so don't give up okay.

Also make a research on how to become a rotary liaison officer helping people process affidavit in proxy without visiting the court. Then find a small office near an LGA or bank concentration area where people need to do lots of paper documentation cos there must be errors requiring affidavit. Then approach offices around there including business centers to introduce your job as a rotary agent and they will be referring people to you. You will be making up to 1,000naira per affidavit, so if you get numbers daily, check the earnings.

There are lots of things you can start while working your way up
wow i really appreciate your input sir

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 27, 2019
jesmond3945:
Op go and learn a skill, ICT while volunteer your services in a law firm to get the experience.
bro thanks for the tips
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by inspbado(m): 9:09pm On Jul 27, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Another trick he can also use is start working for a reputable law firm for FREE. People always like free stuff

This is the best advise you can get here. I started just like that; after finishing from the law school, I started working at a firm where I was paid next to nothing (I was just given money for food and transport sometimes)but I was putting in my best and learning very fast. Later when the partners saw the shift I was putting in, they placed me on a "proper salary"(although this was still too small, but at all at all na im bad grin ). I grew in that firm and many opportunities came my way and I leveraged on the platform there to later get my dream job. So you need to start from somewhere, don't think because of your 2.1 or 2.2 you will get job instantly. You need to start small, either work for free for little salary with a firm or start your own little practice and slowly grow your clientele base.
Ps. Whatever you do, try and hone you skillset to be the best, when people discover that you are good at legal practice, they will seek for you, be it employers or clients.
Cheers bro and see you at the top
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 27, 2019
inspbado:

This is the best advise you can get here. I started just like that; after finishing from the law school, I started working at a firm where I was paid next to nothing (I was just given money for food and transport sometimes)but I was putting in my best and learning very fast. Later when the partners saw the shift I was putting in, they placed me on a "proper salary"(although this was still too small, but at all at all na im bad grin ). I grew in that firm and many opportunities came my way and I leveraged on the platform there to later get my dream job. So you need to start from somewhere, don't think because of your 2.1 or 2.2 you will get job instantly. You need to start small, either work for free or little salary with a firm or start your own little practice and slowly grow your clientele base.
Cheers bro and see you at the top
thank you very much bro

1 Like

Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by royalads: 9:26pm On Jul 27, 2019
@amicusacuriae I will tell you about my experience and how I was able to carve a niche for myself much earlier whenever I'm able to write an epistle because it's going to be a hell of a long post. For now, learn to think outside the box. The whole joining a firm after law school isn't very obtainable now unless you want to practice for a low key firm.

But for now, use like 5k to print at least 100 complimentary cards. Go around construction sites for residential apartments. Ask to see the site manager. Introduce yourself as a lawyer into real estate management. Ask for the number of the owner... Most times they give or you can ask them to call the owner with their phone there. Strike a deal to manage the house. For a flat, you should be getting at least 50k per tenant and good residual income for years to come. A young chap I told about this has 3 houses right now he is managing at asaba bringing more than 500k yearly and he's looking out for more.

Will still come to my epistle later.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Carmal90(m): 9:28pm On Jul 27, 2019
royalads:
@amicusacuriae I will tell you about my experience and how I was able to carve a niche for myself much earlier whenever I'm able to write an epistle because it's going to be a hell of a long post. For now, learn to think outside the box. The whole joining a firm after law school isn't very obtainable now unless you want to practice for a low key firm.

Patiently waiting
Re: I Am Falling Into Depression As The Day Goes By by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jul 27, 2019
royalads:

But for now, use like 5k to print at least 100 complimentary cards. Go around construction sites for residential apartments. Ask to see the site manager. Introduce yourself as a lawyer into real estate management. Ask for the number of the owner... Most times they give or you can ask them to call the owner with their phone there. Strike a deal to manage the house. For a flat, you should be getting at least 50k per tenant and good residual income for years to come. A young chap I told about this has 3 houses right now under him bringing more than 500k yearly and he's looking out for more.

Will still come to my epistle later.

wow i will try this out bro. thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zenith Bank / Dress Code For A Bank Aptituude Test?:-\ / Vacancy (lagos Residence Only)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.