Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,087 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. (4683 Views)

My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. / Lanre Amu: ‘My NYSC Experience At 54' / Kano Corpers And Camp Soldiers Clash In Karaye NYSC Orientation Camp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 29, 2019
Good Afternoon Nairalanders,
I would like you to share my NYSC 3 weeks experience at Kano state.

I remember how I had hope that I would serve at Oyo state and I was even bragging oh. I even fasted and prayed to get Oyo state. I found out Call up letter was out via a friend's status. All of a sudden, my heart started beating very fast. I started another round of prayer while i logged in. I downloaded my call up letter and I SAW KANO state. I was sad oh. I told my mum and as the Yoruba woman that she is, she started saying I wanted it and it was good for. Imagine she gave me silent treatment, no be me be NYSC now.

I was sad cos I can't sit for too long. HELL no, there was no money anywhere. I just had to accept my Date as a Kano corper. Last last I booked a flight on Saturday night. I developed phobia cos it would be my first time on air.

As the plane raced, my heart was in my mouth and I tried to comport myself, which I did.i was in a plane for the first time. Wow....

7:20am, we arrived at Aminu Airport and I missed home. Thanks to Rahmah, I got a free ride to Karaye(NYSC camp). Karaye is about 2hours far from Kano city.

At the gate, my box was searched and I showed my documents. Then I proceeded and wrote my name too. Then I was amazed at how big the camp was. We directed to go to the female hostel. No doubt, the hostel structure was ok. Nike,Rahmah and I got a room(number F29). I choose lower bunk and placed my flat mattress on it.
We left for the hall to commence registration. Then we headed to collect our NYSC kit and register with our platoons. My Jungle boot was ten times bigger than me. I searched for another but no other size.

Then I heard the bugle sound and I saw people jogging to the field. Then I walked to room F29 to change to my white.

We ran to the field.
We stood under the sun for 3 hours.
Kano sun is too hot.
Then I saw other people.
Then drilling started.
I knew I would lose weight after 3 weeks.

I missed home and had no choice but to embrace Kano

2 Likes

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Nyamuriflathead: 3:56pm On Jul 29, 2019
You started well, can't wait to see how it all ended. Open your heart to the beautiful city of kano at least for the main time you're there and try to re-examine the stereotypical judgements u have about kano by reaching out to people before you scribble your next episode. Goodluck to you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by emmy512: 3:56pm On Jul 29, 2019
Go on...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by otipoju(m): 5:13pm On Jul 29, 2019
I served in Kano 2006. Then the camp was at Ungogo and Ani was the DG.

After living one year in Kano, i did not feel like going home anymore.

Sometimes though i felt like a chicken that even though was walking freely and being feed, it could be slaughtered anytime.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 29, 2019
Continuation......

I was angry for no reason. Why would be under the sun for what reason? I stood at the back and I met several people,I call them Noisemakers. I named a guy "Daddy Wa"..he was too dark and funny. That first day was awkward. I was shy. 6pm came and the bugle was blown.. we were all told to stand still as Nigeria was about to sleep. That made me ponder why will our motherland sleep before it's children. Well, the flag was finally down.. and we were dismissed. I walked to the hostel and I arranged my stuffs.

I was to live with 11 people(Rahmah and Nike too). Not a big deal as I went to boarding school and camp life was that way too. Fortunately for me, I met 2 other Unilag Graduates and that was relieving. I flowed well with them and I didn't have any impression about my roomies at all. I am very jovial and sociable. My roomies became my close friends as we walked together.

F29 roomies
1)Annabel(Unilag Graduate, a model, tall, fair and beautiful and rich)
2) Kachi(DELSU graduate, sexy, igbo, nice and Charming)
3)Adenike(Olabisi Onabanjo University Graduate, fair, tall, thick, very kind and cool)
4) Olabimpe (LASU, young, childish but sweet, and good)
5)Mowunmi(Bayero University Kano, quiet and smart
6)Suliyat(LASU,makeup artist, cheerful and playful)
7) Rachel (Unilag, my closest pal, black, short, nawti, bully and sweet)
coolMojola(OOU, fresh, omo Benin, and outspoken)
9)Rahmah(Unilag,Calm and smart)
10)Tobi(FUOYE, funny and always with different guys.)
11) Dolapo (OOU,selfless, kind, smart and hardworking)

The bugle was blown again for social night and the female soldiers blew that annoying whistle. I was vexed. With the shout "Go out, at the count of"... People ran out and I joined.

I managed to run cos of the size of boobs.
The social night was wack and the OBS team was rubbish, playing boring songs.i sat in the hall and left for Maami.

I was hungry a ND decided to eat Fried yam and stew with fish. Then I bumped into Anthony again. He walked with me and collected my number. My roomies called me and met me outside. We waited and 10pm arrived oh. The bugle was blown and we walked to the hostel.
We were about to have our bathe,when the generator was switched off.
I was lucky cos I came with two torchlights and I went outside to have my bath. I was too tired and I slept off..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jul 29, 2019
I heard voices, footsteps and I still closed my eyes. My roommates were all ready. I didn't stand up, then few minutes later, I went and rinsed my face and wash my mouth. Then I put on my white on white and I slept back. It wasn't up to 5 minutes oh, the the Bugle was blown. Like seriously, this is not fair. Since we were dressed, we got downstairs and walked to the hostel entrance. I became scared, the soldier told us to Fall in threes....and we were instructed to jog to the parade ground. I was boiling already. It was still dark and very cold. I went to my platoon and the assembly started. We praises and the Social coordinator gave a talk. We sang the national anthem. We were also taught how to sing the NYSC anthem. We received the 2nd verse of the national anthem as a prayer. Then different camp officials gave dead lectures and finally, our schedule next for the day was read. I thought we would go to the hostel but I was wrong. At 6am, Nigeria woke up and we all stood still. Then the drilling began and I enjoyed the man o war activity. We were dismissed at 8am... I ran to have my bath and eat too. I only tasted the kitchen food once and that was TUWO with Ogbono soup. I got dressed and gisted with my roommates.

The bugle was blown again oh. It was very annoying, they said Lecture (2hours). I was outside the hall as I slept peacefully. I didn't pay attention to the woman speaking at all. After, we were told to match the parade ground and we there from 2pm till 6pm. I hated those soldiers as they were too mean. And I waited for social nite, and Anthony called me. And we went to Maami together.

In Karaye camp, there are numerous tailors and food sellers. I ate rice most time like Mama Edo, Iya Tawa. I enjoyed the of ofada stew from Iya Tawa's shop. I also ate Potato whenever I was low on cash. I always had.my water bottle with me as the Scorching sun of Kano made me thirsty easily.

There was the snooker board where guys gather and play till they are tired.
There was a place where u rent power bank for a day or a week, and u can change it whenever it's low(awesome).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by TeeBabss(m): 9:18am On Jul 30, 2019
Lol @Mama Edo
Also camped in Karaye, but redeployed to Oyo state

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Kharphy0309(f): 12:47pm On Jul 30, 2019
Please am in need of a PPA in Kano ooo... Nassarawa LGA to be precise

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by missyojo(f): 7:58pm On Jul 31, 2019
Let me seat and enjoy the jolly good ride of this story. I camped in Kano 14C. I enjoyed every bit of the camp activities aside the boring lectures.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Nobody: 2:32am On Aug 01, 2019
TeeBabss:
Lol @Mama Edo
Also camped in Karaye, but redeployed to Oyo state
I am also in Oyo state now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by kandydude1(m): 1:15am On Aug 02, 2019
u guys should please update us on PPA vacancies for B stream 2 corpers in Kano state.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by TeeBabss(m): 4:03am On Aug 02, 2019
Constance20:

I am also in Oyo state now

Wow, welcome back

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 05, 2019
TeeBabss:

Wow, welcome back

Yep

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Swizz1: 2:17pm On Aug 06, 2019
cool @constance....nice experience

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Karimalism05(m): 7:11am On Aug 16, 2019
Kharphy0309:
Please am in need of a PPA in Kano ooo... Nassarawa LGA to be precise
have you gotten?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Kharphy0309(f): 5:32pm On Aug 16, 2019
No ooo
Karimalism05:

have you gotten?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Karimalism05(m): 8:05pm On Aug 16, 2019
Kharphy0309:
No ooo
Okay.
What course do you study?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Asquare84(m): 8:38pm On Aug 16, 2019
I serve in Kano in 2011 I was posted to zarewa in rogo local government that local government is even still far from karaye town

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Nobody: 2:31am On Aug 17, 2019
Kano state is a very beautiful place and it has large land mass. The people of Kano are very amazing. I learnt Hausa before I left Kano. I wished I would not leave but the place is too far. Who would pay for my flight again? I met people who made me enjoy Karaye.
I remember the day I didn't go out for lectures, the soldiers punished people . I was very scared that I ended up hiding under the bed despite the mass size of my chest. I was breathing so loud, the soldier came into the room but I was not discovered. That was a huge relief for me.
If you see the Hausa kids, they would stroll into camp and sell, when it was time to buy ,that was wahala as the kids could not speak English. I would run to my Hausa friends and ask how I would communicate.
Then I would run back to the young girls and say "Ina So Rua, Nawa Ni?"" And they would smile and tell.me.the price. I was eager to speak Hausa and I understood little before leaving the camp.

I enjoyed their Tuwo as I craved to eat it. There is Tuwo shinkafa(made from rice) and Tuwo mascara(made from corn). I tasted shinkafa with Ogbono soup.

If you get to Kano, you may not like the atmosphere at first but u will get used to it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by dunsin125: 10:40pm On Aug 17, 2019
Constance20:
Kano state is a very beautiful place and it has large land mass. The people of Kano are very amazing. I learnt Hausa before I left Kano. I wished I would not leave but the place is too far. Who would pay for my flight again? I met people who made me enjoy Karaye.
I remember the day I didn't go out for lectures, the soldiers punished people . I was very scared that I ended up hiding under the bed despite the mass size of my chest. I was breathing so loud, the soldier came into the room but I was not discovered. That was a huge relief for me.
If you see the Hausa kids, they would stroll into camp and sell, when it was time to buy ,that was wahala as the kids could not speak English. I would run to my Hausa friends and ask how I would communicate.
Then I would run back to the young girls and say "Ina So Rua, Nawa Ni?"" And they would smile and tell.me.the price. I was eager to speak Hausa and I understood little before leaving the camp.

I enjoyed their Tuwo as I craved to eat it. There is Tuwo shinkafa(made from rice) and Tuwo mascara(made from corn). I tasted shinkafa with Ogbono soup.

If you get to Kano, you may not like the atmosphere at first but u will get used to it.
Hanty said mass size��.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Kharphy0309(f): 3:52pm On Aug 21, 2019
Economics
Karimalism05:

Okay.
What course do you study?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Karimalism05(m): 7:31pm On Aug 21, 2019
Kharphy0309:
Economics
Pm me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Nobody: 5:09am On Aug 23, 2019
Kano is a scam. Don't let anyone deceive you. If you are lucky you will be posted to city where your 19800 cant sustain you for a month and 80% of corpers are posted to villages where you will think things should be cheap but hell no same as other places.

The language barrier is another thing to discuss. You may be posted to school where the teachers hardly speak English and the students will be telling you "ba turenji". However, if you are lucky you might be posted to good school where some students speak good English language. It will not surprise you that some of the teachers have MSc and can't hold conversation long for 30minutes before they turn it to Hausa.

Almajiri is another thing to discuss. They steal things. Seriously, they will act as innocent to perpetrate their evil act.

If you have made up your mind to stay back, please, be careful with them.

There are opportunities for you if you are a business oriented person. You can organize a tutorial center for kids and get paid, if you know your way around the city,
you might get job right before you finish your Nysc. If you are a programmer like me, kano is not a better place for you.

Just be careful in kano generally.

Take care!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Kharphy0309(f): 12:51pm On Aug 23, 2019
Kindly drop ur what'sapp digit please.. Let me chat u up
Karimalism05:

Pm me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nysc Experience At Karaye(kusala Dam), Kano State. by Karimalism05(m): 6:24pm On Aug 23, 2019
Kharphy0309:
Kindly drop ur what'sapp digit please.. Let me chat u up
check your mail, have sent it to you.

(1) (Reply)

Batch B 2014....enugu State, Let's Meet Here. / Please, What Is The Difference Between Green Card And Call Up Letter? / Top 7 Reasons NYSC Should Be Scrapped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.