Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,922 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:39 PM

Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) (19456 Views)

This Is Arochukwu, Abia State / Nairalander Visits Oguta Lake Confluence And Saw Amazing Ecological Wonder / A Nairalander's Experience At Arochukwu Waterfall, Indeed Amazing(photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Factgist: 1:11pm On Aug 01, 2019
As a prerequisite for the course in the department of Architecture, University of Nigeria Enugu Campus, History of Traditional Architecture in Nigeria (Arc 414); students are expected to visit various states in Nigeria and research on the traditional architecture of their specified states.

The Journey to Arochukwu begins

In this research, details must be made with careful study on how Nigerians in the past constructed their buildings and how it was done. This also deals with studying building construction methods, building materials used in the past and the general architectural trend of a particular era.

After my lecturer Arc. Okey Nduka shared us into states to visit, I discovered I was assigned to visit Arochukwu.

Arochukwu is a town in Abia state sharing a border with both Akwa Ibom and Cross Rivers state.
Arochukwu has been a history town dating back to the 18th and 19the century with major trading operations going on there following the coming of European traders and missionaries. The town is also known for it's rich cultural background and religious diversity.

On the 28th of July 2019, we set off for Arochukwu, Abia state as my other classmates dispersed to their various assigned states. We were shared in groups into the following states. Abia, Akwa Ibom, Ebonyi, Delta, Enugu, and Rivers states.

The journey to Abia state was fun though as we were 7 of us. However, the road wasn't good with respect to quality and standard but we enjoyed the anyway.
After about 5 hours of bumping and swaying in the terribly bad road, we got to Arochukwu hale and hearty, safe and sound, thankful and tankful.We lodged in our group leader's family house for the night as we slept together knowing we had a long day undeniably ahead of us.

The next day, after morning duties and breakfast, we set off into the community; marching as we went. The villagers of the community kept staring at us, knowing for sure we were on an assignment.

With one of the village heads who explained the construction methods they used in the past to build houses.

As we researched on the buildings lining the little, wee village; we saw that buildings with historic value and relevance were not lacking but were in their numbers.
We saw mud houses built with red mud or clay as you could call it, these mud houses had sticks used as reinforcements aimed at holding the mud together.

The roofs were made with raffia palm with bamboo sticks on their top to hold them from falling. We also saw buildings built by European builders way back to the early 1900s and they stood out in their mind blowing, classic elegance.

I won't go into details as to the methods of construction and processes used in constructing buildings in Arochukwu in the past as it is exclusively reserved for my report.
After 3 days of research, my team "team Abia" returned back to school with full knowledge and unique joy.

We learnt a lot with respect to traditional building styles and methods and after the research, we were poised to implement some traditional features in our future designs for potential clients who need unique buildings.

It was indeed insightful and I learnt a lot! Making up our minds, not just to adopt European and American styles, but to include what we've had in the past to blend the contemporary Architecture of today in Nigeria.

Thanks.

Jayamma Abanobi
Department of Architecture, UNN
CEO,

https:///2019/08/factboyz-ceo-visits-arochukwu-for-traditional-architecture-research-photos.html

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Factgist: 1:15pm On Aug 01, 2019
Arrival to Arochukwu

I cant post all the pics here, however visit my blog to see them all.
https:///2019/08/factboyz-ceo-visits-arochukwu-for-traditional-architecture-research-photos.html

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Factgist: 1:18pm On Aug 01, 2019
Getting the facts right.. while listening to the narrator

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Factgist: 1:20pm On Aug 01, 2019
With the village chairman and village head

N/B We are in final year Architecture

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Factgist: 1:21pm On Aug 01, 2019
grin More pics.. That's me here

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Factgist: 1:23pm On Aug 01, 2019
More photos..

We were told the building below was built in 1904

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Factgist: 1:24pm On Aug 01, 2019
grin

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Factgist: 1:30pm On Aug 01, 2019
More pics

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Factgist: 1:36pm On Aug 01, 2019
grin

Walls with human prints done with 'Nzu' or local white chalk

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Factgist: 1:44pm On Aug 01, 2019
Travelling back home.. It was fun and successful

6 Likes

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Nobody: 3:37pm On Aug 01, 2019
Nairaland blogger? Things people say just to reach frontpage. smiley

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by eben1marketer: 3:37pm On Aug 01, 2019
Good boy cheesy

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by MrBONE2(m): 3:37pm On Aug 01, 2019
grin
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Giddymoney(m): 3:37pm On Aug 01, 2019
My trip to my village this was the only thing I was able to capture

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by dynicks(m): 3:37pm On Aug 01, 2019
See it's not about speaking English ND posing for the cameras taking pictures here ND there....Some of them necessarily don't know what they went there for.....

Ask one or two of them questions now ND the next thing u would hear is " eventually" or "actually"

7 Likes

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Corrosiveman(m): 3:37pm On Aug 01, 2019
So the yeast has Brown roof

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Centcanada: 3:37pm On Aug 01, 2019
Lovely youths

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Passionate888: 3:37pm On Aug 01, 2019
No be only storm, hurricane no join? What about tornado

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by buiquiey(m): 3:38pm On Aug 01, 2019
Mouthed
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Afam4eva(m): 3:38pm On Aug 01, 2019
I wish this kind of trips can be documents with videos. A Youtube channel maybe. Anyways, i intend doing something similar in the near future.

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Wayne4uall(m): 3:38pm On Aug 01, 2019
Congratulations

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Goldenheart(m): 3:38pm On Aug 01, 2019
nice
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by doctore212(m): 3:39pm On Aug 01, 2019
Nice
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Passionate888: 3:39pm On Aug 01, 2019
That girl wey dey the second picture, she NOSE everything

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by chinavs9ja(m): 3:39pm On Aug 01, 2019
How come this post make fp?

I will design your own blog today...check my signature

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Champneys: 3:40pm On Aug 01, 2019
Ok.
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by leofab(f): 3:40pm On Aug 01, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by santopelele(m): 3:41pm On Aug 01, 2019
good, this is what we called HISTORY OF ARCHITECTURE IN TRADITIONAL ARCHITECTURE

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Petrol Tanker Explodes In Ogun, Two Die, 12 Vehicles Burnt / People Have Abandoned Travelling, Now Send Goods To Families - Kaduna NURTW / 6 Nigerian-Owned Guest Houses Burnt In South Africa - Nigerian Union

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.