Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,383 members, 7,829,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) (19479 Views)

This Is Arochukwu, Abia State / Nairalander Visits Oguta Lake Confluence And Saw Amazing Ecological Wonder / A Nairalander's Experience At Arochukwu Waterfall, Indeed Amazing(photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Relaxedwell: 3:41pm On Aug 01, 2019
cheesy
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by gr8cany: 3:46pm On Aug 01, 2019
Factgist:
As a prerequisite for the course in the department of Architecture, University of Nigeria Enugu Campus, History of Traditional Architecture in Nigeria (Arc 414); students are expected to visit various states in Nigeria and research on the traditional architecture of their specified states.

The Journey to Arochukwu begins

In this research, details must be made with careful study on how Nigerians in the past constructed their buildings and how it was done. This also deals with studying building construction methods, building materials used in the past and the general architectural trend of a particular era.

After my lecturer Arc. Okey Nduka shared us into states to visit, I discovered I was assigned to visit Arochukwu.

Arochukwu is a town in Abia state sharing a border with both Akwa Ibom and Cross Rivers state.
Arochukwu has been a history town dating back to the 18th and 19the century with major trading operations going on there following the coming of European traders and missionaries. The town is also known for it's rich cultural background and religious diversity.

On the 28th of July 2019, we set off for Arochukwu, Abia state as my other classmates dispersed to their various assigned states. We were shared in groups into the following states. Abia, Akwa Ibom, Ebonyi, Delta, Enugu, and Rivers states.

The journey to Abia state was fun though as we were 7 of us. However, the road wasn't good with respect to quality and standard but we enjoyed the anyway.
After about 5 hours of bumping and swaying in the terribly bad road, we got to Arochukwu hale and hearty, safe and sound, thankful and tankful.We lodged in our group leader's family house for the night as we slept together knowing we had a long day undeniably ahead of us.

The next day, after morning duties and breakfast, we set off into the community; marching as we went. The villagers of the community kept staring at us, knowing for sure we were on an assignment.

With one of the village heads who explained the construction methods they used in the past to build houses.

As we researched on the buildings lining the little, wee village; we saw that buildings with historic value and relevance were not lacking but were in their numbers.
We saw mud houses built with red mud or clay as you could call it, these mud houses had sticks used as reinforcements aimed at holding the mud together.

The roofs were made with raffia palm with bamboo sticks on their top to hold them from falling. We also saw buildings built by European builders way back to the early 1900s and they stood out in their mind blowing, classic elegance.

I won't go into details as to the methods of construction and processes used in constructing buildings in Arochukwu in the past as it is exclusively reserved for my report.
After 3 days of research, my team "team Abia" returned back to school with full knowledge and unique joy.

We learnt a lot with respect to traditional building styles and methods and after the research, we were poised to implement some traditional features in our future designs for potential clients who need unique buildings.

It was indeed insightful and I learnt a lot! Making up our minds, not just to adopt European and American styles, but to include what we've had in the past to blend the contemporary Architecture of today in Nigeria.

Thanks.

Jayamma Abanobi
Department of Architecture, UNN
CEO,

https:///2019/08/factboyz-ceo-visits-arochukwu-for-traditional-architecture-research-photos.html

You must be Kariid...my filial cap is respectedly and honouredly doffed for you and your interesting research
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Darkseid(m): 3:47pm On Aug 01, 2019
These ones just go snap pictures, las las they go sort the course.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by spencekat(m): 3:48pm On Aug 01, 2019
Corrosiveman:
So the yeast has Brown roof
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 01, 2019
Factgist:
As a prerequisite for the course in the department of Architecture, University of Nigeria Enugu Campus, History of Traditional Architecture in Nigeria (Arc 414); students are expected to visit various states in Nigeria and research on the traditional architecture of their specified states.

The Journey to Arochukwu begins

In this research, details must be made with careful study on how Nigerians in the past constructed their buildings and how it was done. This also deals with studying building construction methods, building materials used in the past and the general architectural trend of a particular era.

After my lecturer Arc. Okey Nduka shared us into states to visit, I discovered I was assigned to visit Arochukwu.

Arochukwu is a town in Abia state sharing a border with both Akwa Ibom and Cross Rivers state.
Arochukwu has been a history town dating back to the 18th and 19the century with major trading operations going on there following the coming of European traders and missionaries. The town is also known for it's rich cultural background and religious diversity.

On the 28th of July 2019, we set off for Arochukwu, Abia state as my other classmates dispersed to their various assigned states. We were shared in groups into the following states. Abia, Akwa Ibom, Ebonyi, Delta, Enugu, and Rivers states.

The journey to Abia state was fun though as we were 7 of us. However, the road wasn't good with respect to quality and standard but we enjoyed the anyway.
After about 5 hours of bumping and swaying in the terribly bad road, we got to Arochukwu hale and hearty, safe and sound, thankful and tankful.We lodged in our group leader's family house for the night as we slept together knowing we had a long day undeniably ahead of us.

The next day, after morning duties and breakfast, we set off into the community; marching as we went. The villagers of the community kept staring at us, knowing for sure we were on an assignment.

With one of the village heads who explained the construction methods they used in the past to build houses.

As we researched on the buildings lining the little, wee village; we saw that buildings with historic value and relevance were not lacking but were in their numbers.
We saw mud houses built with red mud or clay as you could call it, these mud houses had sticks used as reinforcements aimed at holding the mud together.

The roofs were made with raffia palm with bamboo sticks on their top to hold them from falling. We also saw buildings built by European builders way back to the early 1900s and they stood out in their mind blowing, classic elegance.

I won't go into details as to the methods of construction and processes used in constructing buildings in Arochukwu in the past as it is exclusively reserved for my report.
After 3 days of research, my team "team Abia" returned back to school with full knowledge and unique joy.

We learnt a lot with respect to traditional building styles and methods and after the research, we were poised to implement some traditional features in our future designs for potential clients who need unique buildings.

It was indeed insightful and I learnt a lot! Making up our minds, not just to adopt European and American styles, but to include what we've had in the past to blend the contemporary Architecture of today in Nigeria.

Thanks.

Jayamma Abanobi
Department of Architecture, UNN
CEO,

https:///2019/08/factboyz-ceo-visits-arochukwu-for-traditional-architecture-research-photos.html
o boy hustle oh make your children no come Nairaland dey announce dem selves, make dem blow.. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by handsomebanana(m): 3:56pm On Aug 01, 2019
Don't forget to talk about how they sold their people to slavery

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by foleskay(m): 3:59pm On Aug 01, 2019
Why not go places like Venice, Florence, Athens, Manchester, and study their sophisticated architecture, instead of writing something about all thses muddy buildings you post here. Pukes

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by faorex(m): 4:09pm On Aug 01, 2019
Only architects or architecture students can relate to this, did traditional Architecture in my second year and I can tell you it was an unforgettable experience. Nice one guys, keep the train moving and keep making Architects proud.

A brother in the struggle wishes all of us success.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by lastempero: 4:23pm On Aug 01, 2019
So all those fine houses for aro u no see them na thatched roof n clay you see.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by kennyraymond(m): 4:30pm On Aug 01, 2019
Where in Arochukwu are you guys, I'm at Obikinta in Arochukwu.. I also went to Amuvi, Asalga etc.. Arochukwu gat nothing to show..

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Elexdallas(m): 4:34pm On Aug 01, 2019
kennyraymond:
Where in Arochukwu are you guys, I'm at Obikinta in Arochukwu.. I also went to Amuvi, Asalga etc.. Arochukwu gat nothing to show..

I am from Amoba but based in Enugu.
Nda aga imere?
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by NwaOhafia: 4:34pm On Aug 01, 2019
Three people I love so much; Arochukwu, ohafia and abiriba
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Nobody: 5:01pm On Aug 01, 2019
ucham:

Oga this building is an antique.
You will never see a sea of brown roofs in anywhere in the east as is so common in the South West; Ibadan (capital of brown rusted corrugations), abeokuta coming a close second and the rest of the wastelands.

...and now you are talking about it grin that's the deal!

Dra
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by cookingsoul(m): 5:13pm On Aug 01, 2019
so for all d gallant houses nd ppl from aro my village amannagwu nah all dis rickety houses una wan show.history fall on ur heads.aro mna mnanu.ohafia ka wo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Triniti(m): 5:14pm On Aug 01, 2019
Op, you guys should help change the way we build houses in Nigeria. The houses being built here are more like prison with too many block works, poor aesthetics. You travel to other countries and see the way they build houses, you will marvel at the poor jobs being done by our architect and building engineers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by zinny377(f): 5:32pm On Aug 01, 2019
Factgist:
Travelling back home.. It was fun and successful

U visited my hometown...how cute!!! kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by judgementyard(m): 6:02pm On Aug 01, 2019
Giddymoney:
My trip to my village this was the only thing I was able to capture
my guy no forget me ooh!
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by udomoh(m): 6:03pm On Aug 01, 2019
How do you become a Nairaland blogger?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by manikspears: 6:22pm On Aug 01, 2019
The lady at the back in the second picture.........does she have a phone number?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by omaigala(m): 6:27pm On Aug 01, 2019
dynicks:
See it's not about speaking English ND posing for the cameras taking pictures here ND there....Some of them necessarily don't know what they went there for.....

Ask one or two of them questions now ND the next thing u would hear is " eventually" or "actually"

Learn to write in proper English.
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Tochex101(m): 6:33pm On Aug 01, 2019
Triniti:
Op, you guys should help change the way we build houses in Nigeria. The houses being built here are more like prison with too many block works, poor aesthetics. You travel to other countries and see the way they build houses, you will marvel at the poor jobs being done by our architect and building engineers
Good point but kindly elucidate...
What would you like to change?
The building material? (Masonry block)
The building style?
The design flow...(Open floor plan maybe?)
More landscaping....e.t.c
More input from clients would aid Architects improve and present better designs..
@ factgist...
You have done well, the first folk building with high clerestory windows is it the town's ancient hall?
The second with upper balcony is truly magnificent,a style I've never seen or imagined.....truly and wholly Igbo.
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by firfinch(m): 6:36pm On Aug 01, 2019
chinavs9ja:
How come this post make fp?

I will design your own blog today...check my signature
We don't seem to value what we have. This have 100 times value than all celebrity gossip posts we see everyday. We must learn to value what we have.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by chinavs9ja(m): 6:39pm On Aug 01, 2019
firfinch:
We don't seem to value what we have. This have 100 times value than all celebrity gossip posts we see everyday. We must learn to value what we have.
Okay Sir/Ma

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by somez(m): 6:54pm On Aug 01, 2019
This is Atani River arochukwu. About 500meters to my house.
Factgist:
More pics

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Cymix: 6:59pm On Aug 01, 2019
as if there village is not too bushy pass this one
but that girl on black gown I fit get her number
my love for dark skin girls though
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 01, 2019
Is that not Asonwa behind you?
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Triniti(m): 8:23pm On Aug 01, 2019
Tochex101:

The building style?
More input from clients would aid Architects improve and present better designs..
@ factgist...
You have done well, the first folk building with high clerestory windows is it the town's ancient hall?
The second with upper balcony is truly magnificent,a style I've never seen or imagined.....truly and wholly Igbo.
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Ijawwomaninoyo: 8:27pm On Aug 01, 2019
ucham:

Oga this building is an antique.
You will never see a sea of brown roofs in anywhere in the east as is so common in the South West; Ibadan (capital of brown rusted corrugations), abeokuta coming a close second and the rest of the wastelands.

The ones in Ibadan were built in 2019?
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Triniti(m): 8:50pm On Aug 01, 2019
Tochex101:

The building style?
@ factgist...
I’d love us to change the way we design and build houses, putting our climate into perspective. My friend just finished his tastefully built and furnished duplex. You can’t stay in that house without electricity. As in, you go just suffocate. Been to some countries and seeing the way with which they build their houses and landscaping, you will notice that our building are more like a holding facility rather than been a home. Blocks everywhere and poor ventilation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Tochex101(m): 8:54pm On Aug 01, 2019
Triniti:
I’d love us to change the way we design and build houses, putting our climate into perspective. My friend just finished his tastefully built and furnished duplex. You can’t stay in that house without electricity. As in, you go just suffocate. Been to some countries and seeing the way with which they build their houses and landscaping, you will notice that our building are more like a holding facility rather than been a home. Blocks everywhere and poor ventilation
Your right that's why people are preaching sustainability......it's trending but we haven't caught on yet in this parts....the brains and human resources are available in abundance; our Architects can do better.
One needs to start the spark and others would follow..."eccleticism"- we call it.
Re: Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) by Mac2016(m): 9:06pm On Aug 01, 2019
How do these set of students become global contenders in their chosen field of profession? There is more to Architecture in the 21st century than this. Clueless course outline!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live / 6 Nigerian-Owned Guest Houses Burnt In South Africa - Nigerian Union / The Agony Of Passport Expiration In Vietnam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.