Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,163 members, 7,860,170 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:16 AM

AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop (8697 Views)

CAF Withdraws AFCON 2019 Hosting Rights From Cameroon / Seychelles Vs Nigeria: AFCON 2019 Qualifier - 0 - 3 (Full Time) / Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by frugal(m): 4:34pm On Aug 02, 2019
Icon79:
Take it from me, this team would not make the next World Cup with Gernot Rohr in charge.

Rohr has been successful in getting us organized but, technically, I don't think he has improved the team at all. In fact, his first 3 games (if you disregard the dead rubber AFCON qualifier): Zambia (away), Algeria (home), and Cameroun (home) were his best matches with the Super Eagles so far. We've been going backward since then.

Compare how much the Algerian team (and even Cameroun) had improved since we played then in 2018 World Cup qualifiers. The Algerian teams that we easily brushed aside less than 2 years ago now played us out of the park. What does that tell you angry sad shocked

O pari

I agree with you. He has gotten the team to a certain stage and can't seem to go beyond that. He seems clueless now. But he's going for training abroad, so let's wait and see how that works out.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by proffblaze(m): 4:50pm On Aug 02, 2019
Ftc from back grin grin,
Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by ubcandid(m): 5:46pm On Aug 02, 2019
Earthquake1:

Can you say Algeria was lucky to win the final because they won with a fluke goal?

When did winning Algeria and Cameroon become easy for us? Is it because Rohr has done and you are taking it for granted and judging him by his success?

Algeria and Cameroon are African giants and it is not easy to beat them, Algeria have arguably the best squad in the tournament and they didn't win it by fluke

Nooooo they and Morocco had the best team but not squad. Ivory coast and Senegal brought the best squad.
Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by ubcandid(m): 5:55pm On Aug 02, 2019
Icon79:
Take it from me, this team would not make the next World Cup with Gernot Rohr in charge.

Rohr has been successful in getting us organized but, technically, I don't think he has improved the team at all. In fact, his first 3 games (if you disregard the dead rubber AFCON qualifier): Zambia (away), Algeria (home), and Cameroun (home) were his best matches with the Super Eagles so far. We've been going backward since then.

Compare how much the Algerian team (and even Cameroun) had improved since we played then in 2018 World Cup qualifiers. The Algerian teams that we easily brushed aside less than 2 years ago now played us out of the park. What does that tell you angry sad shocked

O pari

I share your thoughts also, come to the fact that the coach of Algeria was appointed last year which means he had less than a year to build that team, dropping big names like Bentalab, Ghezzal,benfodil and Ghoulam. This advertently shows he has a technical foundation. Rohr on the other hand has been on this job for close to four years and handled close to 50 games with the Eagles, attending a major tournament with them but can't even build a game play or system to be synonymous with the team. He is inconsistent in player choice and doesn't seem to know what he wants amongst an abundance of talent at his disposal, a mistake from a player and he dumps him to pick another... The truth is - the quality of players at his disposal is what is covering him up, coupled with the fact that Nigerian players tend to be discipline in act in the presence of a foreign manager. Yes I appreciate his input to the team but the height we are looking to attain has no domain in his technical disposition.

2 Likes

Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by emmnprince(m): 10:13pm On Aug 02, 2019
On a serious note, Mr. Baxter did well since the qualifying rounds of the AFCON. Building a team in SA isn't that easy.
Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by IronGalaxy: 11:54pm On Aug 02, 2019
Jaypop22:

I tire ooo. With the this coach, South Africa 's team has really improved their standards of play and technique.
It is only God that will deliver African sports administrators from impatient and lack of continuity.
actually Baxter wasn't such a good coach
Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by elldeb101(m): 8:35am On Aug 04, 2019
Rohr was ..and is still a good coach. His technical prowess (coaching is more than this alone) is in doubt though and seriously needs to attend refresher courses. I was shocked with his line up against Madagascar and his defensive approach. His problem is that he seems confused at times and very unwilling to take a risk but I don't advocate for him to be sacked because he has given us certain stability. He should be encouraged to refresh his expertise just like the NFF has rightly done.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Week 15 Uk Football Pool Fixtures / AFCON 2023: Peseiro Anticipates Tough Game Against Angola / Tread For Bet9ja Booking Codes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.