Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,821 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:47 AM

The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business (1274 Views)

Jewish Controlled/owned Business / Top Ten Private Jets Owned By Wealthy Nigerians And How Much They Cost / Nigerian Owned Company Tops Inc 500 List. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by Rebirth(m): 10:05pm On May 13, 2007
What Do You Think The Future Will Be Like for Nigerian-owned Business?

Virgin Atlantic - Richard Branson (UK)
Apple - Steve Jobs (USA)
Sun City - Sol Kerzner (South Africa)
Permit me to say Dangote ( but then he lacks the international impact)

These are men who have made international impact from home grown businesses. it just makes me wonder what the future is for nigerian businesses, b'because the trend now is that these men who have made impact in the UK, USA, South Africa are the same men who are trying to break into the Nigerian market aggressively.

Consider the fact that the National carrier is Virgin Nigeria, why didn't the govt. consider the option of talking to Nigerian business entrepreneurs to dive into that sector. with due respect to Branson and his achievements, i think giving Bellview a chance to be the nation carrier would have been better for the aviation sector on the long run,

p.s - I was on the maiden VN flight to London from lagos and my observation was "British Airline, Nigerian name"
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by nosa101(f): 12:15am On May 14, 2007
Gates is a Yank

I think Steve Jobs is ghey.

Dangote may not be "up there" but he can hold his own in West Africa. Adenuga too.
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by Rebirth(m): 12:18am On May 14, 2007
i don't think dangote and adenuga have what it takes yet. with the population of nigeria, i think it's only fitting that there is a nigerian enterpreneur (based in Nigeria) in the forbes top 200. unfortunately, there is none!!!
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by Seun(m): 12:25am On May 14, 2007
Let Richard Branson do what he does best, let Adenuga and Dangote do what they do best, and let small business owners like me do what we do best. There's no need for discrimination. This country is big enough for all of us!
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by nosa101(f): 12:27am On May 14, 2007
Dangote and Adenuga CAN hold their own in West Africa. Adenuga actually has a good shot at making the forbes 200. If he can get get Glo to dominate Nigeria and provide decent competition in other west african countries, he might just do it. But he has to be allowed to attain a decent monopoly i.e. Bill Gates

Like this Mexican dude, the 2nd richest guy n the world.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Slim_Hel%C3%BA[/url]
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by Rebirth(m): 12:51am On May 14, 2007
@Seun, with all fairness to you and all that u might have achieved, i think there is a seriuos lack of enterpreneural excellence in Nigeria. i'm not one to settle for average when the best is attainable. i think nigerian businesses are built on the foundation of just making money, but history has shown us that the only to be the best is to have a goal that is above jsut money!!!

Kudos to Adenuga and Dangote. The truth though is that Nigerian Businesses are not doing as well as they should.
Come to think of it, how many Nigerian billionaires have built their own empires from scratch

Adenuga ___ Babangida
Dangote ___ Babangida
I stand to be corrected
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by Seun(m): 12:58am On May 14, 2007
i'm not one to settle for average when the best is attainable.
You can apply those standards to your own business,
but you have no right to judge others by your personal standards.

If Dangote and Adenuga are satisfied with their achievements, so be it!
You can overtake them if you want to, and we will clap for you.

How can you look down on people like Adenuga and Dangote because
they haven't overtaken Branson and co. Have you overtaken them yourself? cheesy wink
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by Rebirth(m): 1:06am On May 14, 2007
Seun:

You can apply those standards to your own business,
but you have no right to judge others by your personal standards.

If Dangote and Adenuga are satisfied with their achievements, so be it!
You can overtake them if you want to.

How can you look down on people like Adenuga and Dangote because
they haven't overtaken Branson and co. Have you overtaken them yourself? cheesy wink

well that is where i come in. i help small businesses to see the opportunities and to maximise them. there are not many consultants in the forbes 100 rich list, are they? lipsrsealed i might never be as rich as adenuga or dangote but it will be my heartfelt joy to see my clients grow to be bigger than they are!

Really, Seun - I appreciate what u have done and i think there is a very big market in Nigeria, particularly the cybermarket. it is bigger than we can imagine. i might not say it all on a forum but if ever i get the opportunity to speak with u or anyone interested one-on-one, i'll let u in a few ideas that i think u can work on.

I can't be in that field because i don't have the expertise but believe me i have amazing stats, grin grin grin grin
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by Seun(m): 1:19am On May 14, 2007
Ok, I see what you're trying to do. I guess we should allow others to contribute to this topic. Cheers!
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by Rebirth(m): 1:24am On May 14, 2007
Seun:

Ok, I see what you're trying to do. I guess we should allow others to contribute to this topic. Cheers!

[i][s]LOL, free offering, i'll send u a one-off mail. maybe we should, cheers, [/s][/i]

Anyone else
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by nosa101(f): 2:12am On May 14, 2007
Rebirth:

@Seun, with all fairness to you and all that u might have achieved, i think there is a seriuos lack of enterpreneural excellence in Nigeria. i'm not one to settle for average when the best is attainable. i think nigerian businesses are built on the foundation of just making money, but history has shown us that the only to be the best is to have a goal that is above jsut money!!!

Kudos to Adenuga and Dangote. The truth though is that Nigerian Businesses are not doing as well as they should.
Come to think of it, how many Nigerian billionaires have built their own empires from scratch

Adenuga ___ Babangida
Dangote ___ Babangida
I stand to be corrected
Not every billionaire started from "scratch". Some of 'em were rich already, building a business from "scratch" is not "by force".
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by Rebirth(m): 8:41am On May 14, 2007
yes i know it is not a rule that u should start from scratch, but then where are those that started from scratch
But read about Bill Gates, Richard Branson, Walton and Carnegie and then us can talk about whether or not it is rule to start from scratch
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by nosa101(f): 10:12am On May 14, 2007
Dude,WTF?
Gates,Buffet, Mittal and Helu were never broke, they had wealthy parents. So there's no crime in having a little more money when starting a business. Richard Branson isn't even in the top 10 and neither is Steve Jobs
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by Rebirth(m): 12:17pm On May 14, 2007
mediocrity soothes some but not me.
i'd rather nigerians are doing better than they currently are,
a nigerian bilionaire is only as rich as a british millionaire
where are the trillionaires
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by nosa101(f): 9:00pm On May 14, 2007
Broke at 25, talk about mediocrity
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by Rebirth(m): 10:17pm On May 14, 2007
u can call me broke, and i guess u r right i consider myself broke (i only earn an average of 913,127 naira per month)

grin grin grin
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by Rebirth(m): 10:24pm On May 14, 2007
Back to the main issue of discussion, i think that the nation needs more demograhers in the business scene. there are hardly statistics on anything as far business is concerned. i was reading a few business proposals ate work today and i found out that most do not have statistical backing. If business is to grow, we need people who will take the pain to get the details for would-be investors.
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by Seun(m): 5:38am On May 17, 2007
Nigerians don't value of statistics, but hopefully one can make them aware of the need and go into the business.
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by scudamore: 9:16pm On May 17, 2007
i think business in nigeria is void of statistics. the adverts on tv are a proof to that. for us to move into the new realm of business it's important that we think twice about that.

check out
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by 50kobo: 2:20am On May 21, 2007
interesting, i have been studying the influx of south african and chinese businesses in Nigeria, and at the current rate i reckon we will be like south africa in the apartheid era. Foreigners will be the owners of businesses whilst nigierans will be the labourers, the lower working class!

Other foreigners are recognising the opportunities in country , while we nigerians are more interesting in buy and sell kind of business. See the chinese moving into the north to set up shoe factories,

I think the way to go is Manufacturing and providing services! You dont have to be wealthy, just start somewhere, be consistent and grow, most businesses in nigeria start up with a bang, then someone gets bored / complacent, and service and product is just crap! How many good nigerian brands do we have??

long live Nigeria
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by Rebirth(m): 11:09pm On May 21, 2007
50kobo:

interesting, i have been studying the influx of south african and chinese businesses in Nigeria, and at the current rate i reckon we will be like south africa in the apartheid era. Foreigners will be the owners of businesses whilst nigierans will be the labourers, the lower working class!

Other foreigners are recognising the opportunities in country , while we nigerians are more interesting in buy and sell kind of business. See the chinese moving into the north to set up shoe factories,

i quite agree with you. if nigeria is not careful, we may end up with an economy that we cannot call our own. case study is south africa. rich country, poor citizens.
nigerians need to take responsibility for the future of nigeria
Re: The Future Of Nigerian-Owned Business by nosa101(f): 8:44pm On May 22, 2007
Rebirth:

u can call me broke, and i guess you're right i consider myself broke (i only earn an average of 913,127 naira per month)

grin grin grin
I know college kids who earn more than that, back to your shell now

(1) (Reply)

Enolase's Post On Nairastocks.com / Is It Safe Doing Biz With Www.rechargenigeria.com? / Soap Production

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.