Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,762 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU (25728 Views)

13-Year-Old Girl Hangs herself Over Poor Results, Leaves Behind Emotional Note / Last Chat Of Hilkmat Gbadamosi, UNIPORT Student Who Committed Suicide / Boyfriend Of Delta 15-Year-Old Girl Who Committed Suicide Over Heartbreak Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by GistMore5: 7:21pm On Aug 05, 2019
Management of the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile – Ife, has said Opeyemi DARA, the 400-Level student who committed suicide was not doing poorly academically.

In a statement signed by the Public Relations Officer of the University, Abiodun Olarewaju on the death, the university noted that Opeyemi’s Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA), which was 2.68, was on the Second Class Lower (2.2) band and could not be said to be poor academically, contrary to claims that she committed suicide because of poor grades.

The statement also noted that Opeyemi had no outstanding course to write and was only preparing to submit her final year project as a student of the English Department.

The statement reads: “The authorities of the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile – Ife, will like to commiserate with the parents, guardians, colleagues, friends and well-wishers of late Opeyemi Dara, a part four student of the Department of English, who was said to have committed suicide allegedly because of poor academic performance. The authorities of the University would, however, like to use this medium to put the records straight.

“Miss Dara is on a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.68 which qualified her, at least, to be an average student on a 2 – 2 class of grade. It is, therefore, our firm belief that a student who was on Second Class ((Lower Division) cannot be said to be poor academically, talk less of committing suicide because of such. In actual fact, Opeyemi DARA did NOT have any outstanding course except her project which she was yet to submit. The project could not have been a challenge to her because she had authored two books – ‘Heels on Steel’ (a play) and ‘ Let Me Run Mad Today (a poem) both published by the Words Rhymes and Rhythm Limited (www.wrr.ng).

“Opeyemi DARA was admitted to the University in the 2014/2015 academic session and her graduating year result (2017/2018) indicates that SHE HAD PASSED ALL THE DEPARTMENTAL COURSES except. Research Method and Project (EGL 420). She had NOT submitted any essay for grading which is understandable by virtue of her encounter of April 22 and the fact that she had not reported in the University since then.

“Opeyemi DARA, who resides off-campus, allegedly first took the Sniper on April 22, 2019, but the Security Unit of the University, on getting the information, went to her house, took her first to the University Health Centre where she was referred to the Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals Complex (OAUTHC). She was treated and discharged home to her parents. She was said to have been brought in by the parents and readmitted at the Intensive Care Unit of the OAUTHC last Thursday August 1, and she unfortunately died the next day. There are indications that she had an underlying medical condition

“The Obafemi Awolowo University has a very robust Student Advisory System which has been in place for decades, and the university has the highest number of dedicated Guidance Counsellors of any university in Nigeria.

“The Vice-Chancellor, Professor Eyitope Ogunbodede has appealed to all staff and students of the University to take advantage of the mechanisms put in place by the University administration in addressing all academic, social, medical and other challenges. All youths are advised never to see suicide as an option, since tough times do not last but are only passing phases in the lives of all mortals.”

See more here; http://gistmore.com/student-who-committed-suicide-didnt-have-poor-results-oau

3 Likes

Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by myfan: 7:22pm On Aug 05, 2019
shocked

Good evening great people of Nigeria.

Please I've been on this issue over 2 weeks now.

I sincerely need help to pay my school fees please. It's making me so worried that I'm getting depressed by the day. Please good hearted Nigerians should come to my rescue.

I have all my studentship proofs.

I can be reached on 090-1-7-6-4-0-2-8-9

Mail: nteedem@gmail.com
Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by GistMore5: 7:23pm On Aug 05, 2019
Lalasticlala
Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by Andersonjr(m): 7:26pm On Aug 05, 2019
Depression is real

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by Freemanbobble: 7:56pm On Aug 05, 2019
Okay
Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by ewosk: 7:56pm On Aug 05, 2019
shocked

So should we now conclude that she was just Dick-Pressed
shocked

So sad, so no one told her that even with a 'pass in WAEC' she could still have ruled a nation with over 150 million citizens.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by elder1002: 7:56pm On Aug 05, 2019
las las SUICIDE is now a NORM in NIGERIA... with the way things are going its better to DIE than to live in BONDAGE......

DEATH IS BETTER THAN BONDAGE

2 Likes

Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by englishmart(m): 7:56pm On Aug 05, 2019
Copy and paste bloggers including nairaland were busy purveying unverified information just to have a palatable story.
Fake news everywhere. Sometimes when you hear news people spread, you'll be tempted to ask? Where you dey get your news from?

Now tell me, who told you people she had low grades? You now speak for the dead abi?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by LINTUNE(m): 7:57pm On Aug 05, 2019
angry angry tongue
Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by CheapDataGuy: 7:58pm On Aug 05, 2019
Arghhhh nawao
Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by neolboy(m): 7:58pm On Aug 05, 2019
Poor soul

1 Like

Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 7:59pm On Aug 05, 2019
Abeg, Where Is My Esther Please? Do You Saw My Esther?
Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by Chrisus(m): 7:59pm On Aug 05, 2019
2.68 ain't poor? Is their GPA scale 4.0?

5 Likes

Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by Klington: 7:59pm On Aug 05, 2019
Maybe the powers that be wanted a First Class at all cost.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by israelmao(m): 7:59pm On Aug 05, 2019
"Come unto me all you that labour and heavy laden and I will give you rest."

7 Likes

Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by money121(m): 7:59pm On Aug 05, 2019
Ok
Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by dalass(f): 7:59pm On Aug 05, 2019
Great Ife!
RIP girl shocked
Suicide is not an option. Its not for us to decide when to die, its for the Giver of life to do so. Sad really sad
Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by penjm: 8:00pm On Aug 05, 2019
fragile heart!
Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by Nobody: 8:01pm On Aug 05, 2019
Everyone has the Right to Die

2 Likes

Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:01pm On Aug 05, 2019
For those who are feeling depressed as a result of some circumstances. There is hope for you. You will make it despite the challenges of life. Suicide is not an option. It is a decision. And please don't commit it

2 Likes

Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by chloride6: 8:01pm On Aug 05, 2019
What a savage school

grin
Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by rxmusa(m): 8:02pm On Aug 05, 2019
Someone who spent 10years studying pharmacy in A.B.U Zaria was caught cheating in his final semester of spilling (overstaying), and was subsequently withdrawn. He didn't commit suicide, he moved on with his life because he understands the concept of being grateful for other blessings, that life is not all about the academic qualifications.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by Ife1981: 8:02pm On Aug 05, 2019
Any time u thought of committing sucuide, rebuke the thought immediately, cause Satan have released this suicadal demons, u can't see every every where.

2 Likes

Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by delugajackson: 8:02pm On Aug 05, 2019
What then did she have, a low estrogen level?

2 Likes

Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by MISTAICEY02288(m): 8:03pm On Aug 05, 2019
Chai
Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by ZikZikZik: 8:04pm On Aug 05, 2019
Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by nnaemekanwachuk(m): 8:04pm On Aug 05, 2019
2.68 in our dispensation is poor.

2 Likes

Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by mu2sa2: 8:05pm On Aug 05, 2019
elder1002:
las las SUICIDE is now a NORM in NIGERIA... with the way things are going its better to DIE than to live in BONDAGE......

DEATH IS BETTER THAN BONDAGE
Why are you still living? Since you feel you are in bondage do the needful, won't you?

1 Like

Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by Judolisco(m): 8:05pm On Aug 05, 2019
M.... Rip to her cry
Re: Student Who Committed Suicide Didn’t Have Poor Results – OAU by larryking540: 8:05pm On Aug 05, 2019
that was my cgpa after my 100level, I was pissed, even after graduation my people I can't even remember when I thought about cgpa again ,them in my room, u go see calculations of cgpa assumption tire,

my people cgpa doesn't determine life o,it only shows how obedient you are to exam questions

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bus Driver Kills Colleague, Abandons Corpse At Lagos Park / NDLEA Intercepts Drug Consignments In Winter Jackets, Body Lotion At Lagos Airpo / Robbery At Abibu Oki Street, Marina (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.