Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,254 members, 7,815,384 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:30 AM

FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle (15740 Views)

A Sample Of Bride Price In UGEP, Yakurr LGA Of Cross River State (Pictures) / Couples: If Given Opportunity, Would You Renew Your Marriage Vow After 2 Years? / Marriage Registration In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by Islie: 4:39pm On Aug 07, 2019
Oladimeji Ramon

The Ministry of Interior is currently undertaking a nationwide engagement with relevant stakeholders to clear the air on the controversies dogging the conduct of statutory marriage in the country .

For some time now , the Ministry of Interior and some local government areas in Lagos , Edo , Imo and Rivers States have been locked in legal battles over the right to conduct , celebrate , register marriages and issue marriage certificates .

The LGAs have insisted that their statutory powers to register marriages are being usurped by the Federal Government through the Ministry of Interior . For instance , Eti- Osa Local Government Area of Lagos State is seeking a court order to take over the popular Ikoyi Marriage Registry being operated by the Ministry of Interior , on the contention that the Federal Government , through the Ministry of Interior , has no business operating a marriage registry .

The stand - off between the Federal Government and the LGAs has created confusion in the land as to which is valid between the marriage certificate issued by the Ministry of Interior and that issued by the LGAs .

It was, therefore , not surprising that the conference hall at Sheraton Hotel in Lagos was filled to capacity last week Thursday when the sensitisation train of the Ministry of Interior berthed in Lagos .

At the conference with the theme , “ Achieving harmonious compliance with the conduct of statutory marriage in Nigeria, ” the stakeholders , including representatives of the LGAs , were eager to know the true position of the law on who has the statutory powers to conduct , celebrate , register marriages and issue marriage certificates .

The Permanent Secretary , Ministry of Interior , Mrs Georgina Ehuriah , a lawyer , knew what was at stake and she took the issues head -on .
Alluding to the raging controversy , Ehuriah began by explaining that the stakeholders ’ conference became necessary because there was a need to address and lay to rest issues such as “ The poor understanding of the Marriage Act leading to non-adherence to its provisions ; the proliferation of marriage certificates and other essential marriage documents ; and the raging controversy between local governments and the Ministry of Interior as to who is constitutionally mandated with conduct of marriages leading to litigation.”

Citing sections 24 , 30 ( 3 ) and 30 of the Marriage Act , Ehuriah declared that only the Principal Registrar of Marriages was authorised to print and distribute marriage certificate to places of worship throughout Nigeria.

“ The implication is that any certificate not printed by and delivered by the Principal Registrar of Marriages is illegal and cannot serve the desired purposes , ” she stressed .

She noted that only 4 ,725 places of worship were licensed by the Ministry of Interior to conduct marriages . Out of this number , however , Ehuriah pointed out that only 314 had renewed their licences. She advised the defaulting places of worship to do the needful to avoid marriages being conducted by them to be invalidated .

“ The implication of this is that marriages conducted in unlicensed places of worship are not in line with the Marriage Act and cannot serve legal purposes when the need arises ; and as such unlicensed places of worship are operating contrary to Section 6 ( 1 ) of the Marriage Act ,” Ehuriah stressed .

The Permanent Secretary, however , said that the Ministry of Interior was willing and was already making arrangements to give couples whose marriage certificates were not issued in line with the Marriage Act opportunity to bring them to conformity.

https://punchng.com/fg-lgas-renew-marriage-registration-battle/

2 Likes

Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 07, 2019
Government fighting Government

Wetin citizens go Do
Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by NOL2dworld(m): 5:48pm On Aug 07, 2019
Who cares

3 Likes

Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by Citytrend: 5:48pm On Aug 07, 2019
grin

It's a Battle of who controls the Marriage Registration Money!
There's so much money everywhere in Government, yet not even a single sector is working in my Country

Anyway, i will Build a Professional Logo for your Product or Company For 1k. Offer valid today only. See my info below to Chat me up on WhatsApp

13 Likes

Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by iTearHerToto: 5:48pm On Aug 07, 2019
I miss my afonja girl sad she left me when she saw my monicker sadshe hates me cos I detest the afonjas ways...but I loved her cry her punnna was sweet and made me say things I'm not supposed to whenever we fvck. I loose my mind whenever we fvck.. I like loosing my mind

2 Likes

Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by horladtop(m): 5:49pm On Aug 07, 2019
Hmm
Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by Nobody: 5:49pm On Aug 07, 2019
Even marriage issue, FG is putting mouth. Very soon, it will be new yam festival.

17 Likes

Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by thisnaijaguy: 5:50pm On Aug 07, 2019
What a county ?

So depending on who wins, some people's marriage will be illegal ?

1 Like

Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by UNIZIK1stSon(m): 5:50pm On Aug 07, 2019
angry
Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by Smooth278(m): 5:50pm On Aug 07, 2019
They are just looking for opportunities to collect money from Nigerians...

7 Likes

Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by argon500: 5:51pm On Aug 07, 2019
Marriage certificates is just a laminated paper.

The rules that binds it, people dont even care to read it
Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by kolafolabi(m): 5:51pm On Aug 07, 2019
I think that aspect belongs to the Local Governments.

2 Likes

Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by bmdmix: 5:51pm On Aug 07, 2019
hello
Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by naijajobx: 5:52pm On Aug 07, 2019
Hmm
Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by Nobody: 5:53pm On Aug 07, 2019
FG should steer clear.
Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by Nobody: 5:53pm On Aug 07, 2019
Me, im still looking for wife.

That response did not solve the problem. She should have clearly spell out of the tiers is statutory mandated to conduct and celebrate marriage.

Op are you saying the right thing or did I read the wrong thing. cool cool

5 Likes

Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by UNIZIK1stSon(m): 5:55pm On Aug 07, 2019
cheesy
Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by naijadrivablog: 5:55pm On Aug 07, 2019
Confusion! Is it not through Remita those of LGA also pay?
Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by Irohjohnpaulc(m): 5:55pm On Aug 07, 2019
Please ooo they should do ooo because this is what we were battling wen we went for marriage class yesterday, they told us that getting a statutory marriage certificate will cost us up to 27k if we go individually instead of 5 or 6k

1 Like

Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by namiji2598: 5:57pm On Aug 07, 2019
wakryuppat:
Slay Queen's Cry Hard Duing Three some Leaked Sex Tape Sets Tongues Wagging On Social Media ~ (18+ Video) (Video)

The s*xtape is believed to be leaked by the guys who banged her in the video and according to reports the police are in search of the boys.

Watch the video Of Her Here
dem swear for u??

1 Like

Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by anonyxxx435: 5:57pm On Aug 07, 2019
Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:57pm On Aug 07, 2019
The LGAs have insisted that their statutory powers to register marriages are being usurped by the Federal Government through the Ministry of Interior . For instance , Eti- Osa Local Government Area of Lagos State is seeking a court order to take over the popular Ikoyi Marriage Registry being operated by the Ministry of Interior , on the contention that the Federal Government , through the Ministry of Interior , has no business operating a marriage registry .

FG should Leave it for the Local Government,
But make sure they are monitored very well.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by leofab(f): 6:00pm On Aug 07, 2019
Hmmmm
Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by codedguy1(m): 6:06pm On Aug 07, 2019
When you do the right thing the wrong way problems are bound to occur.

People were praising the fg for sending the lg govt money direct to the lg and the states kicked against it.

Now a money spinning area for the fg has also been affected and they still fighting to keep it.

What exactly was/is the business of the fg with marriage issues? All this is about revenue. If you know the amount ikoyi registry generates for the people that are chopping it in the fg? grin

Until we restructure and every state generate what it can from its human and natural resources with clearcut responsibilities of fg, states and lg, we will continue to fool ourselves as a nation. Restructuring will allow states determine the amount of lg they will have as long as it is funded by the state.

But we all know that will not happen grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by Cymix: 6:07pm On Aug 07, 2019
I am not going to marry so it's non of my business
Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by Morenikeji070: 6:08pm On Aug 07, 2019
Ok oooooo. May God help us.....
Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by adedayoa2(f): 6:11pm On Aug 07, 2019
iTearHerToto:
I miss my afonja girl sad she left me when she saw my monicker sadshe hates me cos I detest the afonjas ways...but I loved her cry her punnna was sweet and made me say things I'm not supposed to whenever we fvck. I loose my mind whenever we fvck.. I like loosing my mind
thank God she left you.

1 Like

Re: FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle by Zephd1h(m): 6:12pm On Aug 07, 2019
Build your own self and career

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help Me Save My Dad Friends / Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars / Missing Nigerian Baby Found In Mexico, Father Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.