Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,980 members, 7,817,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

12 Foods To Avoid During Pregnancy - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 12 Foods To Avoid During Pregnancy (2620 Views)

12 Foods You Should Never Refrigerate: HLK / Here Are The Foods To Never Eat On An Empty Stomach / 12 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

12 Foods To Avoid During Pregnancy by AbleBeing: 5:00pm On Aug 08, 2019
When pregnant, one of the most important things to take note of is nutrition. This is because, It's no longer you that's eating but the other being inside you.
While there are some foods that you can eat alone, there are some that are dangerous to the baby growing.

1. Mackerel
Those iced fish you eat contain Mercury since they are high level predators. This chemical is bad for the development of your baby.

2. Raw Egg
Raw egg is even more common than you think. Your Bama mayonnaise for instance contains raw egg as its ingredients. Even custards have raw eggs as their Ingres. Avoid raw eggs as much as possible.
3. Fura
I know many people who take fura as a beverage. It's great but not for pregnant women. Fura is unpasteurised milk and can contain bacteria that are dangerous to you and your child.
4. Foods That You’re Allergic to
You might ask “Why will I eat food that I’m allergic to?”
Well, some women are told that there are some foods that are nutritious and will help them during pregnancy so they try to eat it. I know someone who have done it. She prepared a meal she doesn’t like because she heard the food will help her child grow well.
No matter how nutritious a food is, if you’re allergic to it, avoid it. It might end up causing trouble for you. Besides, there are hundreds of nutritious food.
5.Canned Food
Majority of canned food are not good for a pregnant mother.
They contain mercury and other dangerous chemicals. These can affect both you and your child.
6. Alcohol
Alcohol is harmful to a pregnant woman.
There’s almost no benefit from taking alcohol.
7. Food Containing Sugar
Sugar can increase your weight during pregnancy. It can induce vomiting and make you uncomfortable during the pregnancy.
You can get sugar from food but make sure the sugar is natural not those biscuits sugar.
8. Undercooked Food
Do not eat undercooked food. It might contain salmonella that can be very harmful to your child and you.
9. Unwashed Fruits and Vegetables
Most fruits and vegetables have toxoplasmosis on the surface and needs to be washed thoroughly before eating them.
It might not harm you but a growing child do not have a developed immune system to combat it.
10. Tea
When I say tea, I do not mean chocolate but rather tea.
Many of these herbal tea you drink, some people call them agbo, is not safe for a pregnant woman.
If you like the tea so much, wait until you give birth to that child and stopped breastfeeding the child. Only then can you drink the tea. You can even brew it in a 50 litres container if you want.
11. Suya and Barbecue
Except you’re very sure that the suya and the barbecued fish or meat is well-cooked, I’ll advise you don’t eat them.
Undercooked meat is not great for a pregnant person.
12. Caffeine
Caffeine can lead to premature birth. Avoid any food that contain caffeine.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Foods To Avoid During Pregnancy by silvoclaira: 7:52pm On Jan 20
AbleBeing:
When pregnant, one of the most important things to take note of is nutrition. This is because, It's no longer you that's eating but the other being inside you.
While there are some foods that you can eat alone, there are some that are dangerous to the baby growing.

1. Mackerel
Those iced fish you eat contain Mercury since they are high level predators. This chemical is bad for the development of your baby.

2. Raw Egg
Raw egg is even more common than you think. Your Bama mayonnaise for instance contains raw egg as its ingredients. Even custards have raw eggs as their Ingres. Avoid raw eggs as much as possible.
3. Fura
I know many people who take fura as a beverage. It's great but not for pregnant women. Fura is unpasteurised milk and can contain bacteria that are dangerous to you and your child.
4. Foods That You’re Allergic to
You might ask “Why will I eat food that I’m allergic to?”
Well, some women are told that there are some foods that are nutritious and will help them during pregnancy so they try to eat it. I know someone who have done it. She prepared a meal she doesn’t like because she heard the food will help her child grow well.
No matter how nutritious a food is, if you’re allergic to it, avoid it. It might end up causing trouble for you. Besides, there are hundreds of nutritious food.
5.Canned Food
Majority of canned food are not good for a pregnant mother.
They contain mercury and other dangerous chemicals. These can affect both you and your child.
6. Alcohol
Alcohol is harmful to a pregnant woman.
There’s almost no benefit from taking alcohol.
7. Food Containing Sugar
Sugar can increase your weight during pregnancy. It can induce vomiting and make you uncomfortable during the pregnancy.
You can get sugar from food but make sure the sugar is natural not those biscuits sugar.
8. Undercooked Food
Do not eat undercooked food. It might contain salmonella that can be very harmful to your child and you.
9. Unwashed Fruits and Vegetables
Most fruits and vegetables have toxoplasmosis on the surface and needs to be washed thoroughly before eating them.
It might not harm you but a growing child do not have a developed immune system to combat it.
10. Tea
When I say tea, I do not mean chocolate but rather tea.
Many of these herbal tea you drink, some people call them agbo, is not safe for a pregnant woman.
If you like the tea so much, wait until you give birth to that child and stopped breastfeeding the child. Only then can you drink the tea. You can even brew it in a 50 litres container if you want.
11. Suya and Barbecue
Except you’re very sure that the suya and the barbecued fish or meat is well-cooked, I’ll advise you don’t eat them.
Undercooked meat is not great for a pregnant person.
12. Caffeine
Caffeine can lead to premature birth. Avoid any food that contain caffeine.

Perfectly said

(1) (Reply)

Welcome To Nairaland's Food Section / Soya Beans Powder And Homemade Infant Formular / Weight Loss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.