Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,214 members, 7,836,041 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand (6254 Views)

The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Parts Of A Car That Has The Biggest Impact On Fuel Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by nurey(m): 6:23pm On Aug 13, 2019
seanfer:

Sir Nurey, I think you made a mistake with the km... 100miles=160km..
75L(tank Capacity)/16L X 160km= 750km.

Not really, I have already converted mpg into L reason we have 16L instead of 18mpg. you either convert to L/km or miles per gallon, the former is easier for us. Besides I doubt any V6 with 75L can achieve 750km.
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by ojeysky(m): 7:07pm On Aug 13, 2019
nurey:
The Highlander has approximately 75L while sienna has 79L

for the 1mz we have
2wd V6 17mpg city and 21mpg highway

4wd V6 16mpg city and 21mpg highway

both have a combined of 18mpg as fuel economy.

let's convert 18mpg to L/100km = 13L/100km

so your vehicle is doing 13L per 100km now to mathematics

75L(tank capacity) / 13L X 100km = 576.xxkm let's say 577km. when your needle would be on red E mark. so half tank should be around 280km.

What's the reason for the difference in mpg between the Highlander and the sienna?
I will be back to trash this one out.

continued
The sienna is 100kg heavier than the Highlander so in retrospect the Highlander should be fuel efficient than the sienna but for Toyota it's always upside down just like the 3.5L 2gr sienna is fuel efficient than the 3.3L 3MZ which is better than the 3.0L 1MZ.

sienna 97-00 1mz 19mpg 198hp

sienna 01-03 1mz vvti 21mpg 210hp

Highlander 1mz vvti 18mpg 220hp

Lexus Rx300 1mz vvti 18mpg 220hp

Toyota harrier 1mz 17mpg 210hp

My final ascertion to the discrepancy in fuel economy amongst Toyota vehicles using same engine but different weight is probably to get more power from the Engine you have to sacrifice a little fuel economy. That's the only reason I can deduce from the setup, though I am not saying I am 100% right.

cc Ojeysky

Actually I had even thought HL was heavier than Sienna to further justify the difference but what you've said made me check again....wow! Anyway, I just wanted to hear practical experience just to know if my utilisation is not far from reality and you've provided enough. Thanks a lot Jare
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by diportivo: 10:00pm On Aug 13, 2019
if fuel is ur issue

buy a kia Rio like mine and use...I do not know maths,but I use 10 litres for 160km journey grin

if kia is not reliable, buy a yaris

if u use a v6 and fuel is what u r carrying calculator up and down for,my brothers and sisters,u r not ready

when I use my v6 car I dont look at the fuel gauge hence I give myself hypertension

I'm eyeing the 03-05 4runner v8 as I dey...its not about the car,its about who's driving it

tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by ojeysky(m): 12:24pm On Aug 14, 2019
For me, fuel is not the main focus but if a vehicle is consuming more fuel than normal, it could have other implications to the engine and other components in the long run. So when I asked, it was not mainly for the fuel but to confirm normalcy of car operation and performance.

I hope that helps.

Regards

diportivo:
if fuel is ur issue

buy a kia Rio like mine and use...I do not know maths,but I use 10 litres for 160km journey grin

if u use a v6 and fuel is what u r carrying calculator up and down for,my brothers and sisters,u r not ready

when I use my v6 car I dont look at the fuel gauge hence I give myself hypertension

I'm eyeing the 03-05 4runner v8 as I dey...its not about the car,its about who's driving it

tongue

1 Like

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Bosun13: 12:44pm On Aug 14, 2019
RZArecta2:
MYTH undecided it’s spelled MYTH cry your spelling is disturbing me
....Mistake...thank God you Understand me
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Bosun13: 12:56pm On Aug 14, 2019
diportivo:
if fuel is ur issue

I'm eyeing the 03-05 4runner v8 as I dey...its not about the car,its about who's driving it...... even though u buy kia or yaris and ur car is consuming more than expectation ...my brother?

tongue
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by ojeysky(m): 2:34pm On Aug 29, 2019
ojeysky:
For me, fuel is not the main focus but if a vehicle is consuming more fuel than normal, it could have other implications to the engine and other components in the long run. So when I asked, it was not mainly for the fuel but to confirm normalcy of car operation and performance.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Just for anyone who cares, my absorber was due for replacement, I did and have noticed better mileage since then (over 320 miles on full tank)
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by dejidotun2000(m): 7:00pm On Feb 25, 2020
diportivo:
if fuel is ur issue

tongue
A few questions sir :

1- Did you achieve that with or without AC
2- 1.4l/1.6l? , manual/auto?
3- highway/city/mixed?

Thanks.
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by diportivo: 9:19pm On Feb 25, 2020
dejidotun2000:

A few questions sir :

1- Did you achieve that with or without AC
2- 1.4l/1.6l? , manual/auto?
3- highway/city/mixed?

Thanks.

with/without ac

1.4 manual

highway only
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Nobody: 4:10am On Feb 26, 2020
diportivo:

with/without ac

1.4 manual

highway only
Brotherly.....what are you doing on the highway with that cricket?

Anyway how much does it cost?
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Nobody: 4:27am On Feb 26, 2020
thebigkendo:
As a clown that I am, I will just leave this here so I don't "misread" any other thing grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by dicksonadams(m): 4:55am On Feb 26, 2020
Lolz
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by diportivo: 11:14am On Feb 26, 2020
Smartchoiice:

Brotherly..... what are you doing on the highway with that cricket?

Anyway how much does it cost?

iv not had a better travel partner since iv been driving grin

1 Like

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Nobody: 11:24am On Feb 26, 2020
diportivo:

iv not had a better travel partner since iv been driving grin
Compared with your xterra? Or your proposed V8 4runner?
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by 9icetoo(m): 12:13pm On Feb 26, 2020
ojeysky:

Just for anyone who cares, my absorber was due for replacement, I did and have noticed better mileage since then (over 320 miles on full tank)
Was this highway driving or city driving?
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by ojeysky(m): 5:01pm On Feb 26, 2020
9icetoo:

Was this highway driving or city driving?

Highway my city driving is around 250/270miles
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by 9icetoo(m): 5:16pm On Feb 26, 2020
ojeysky:

Okay. That's fair enough. That's actually above average. smiley
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Nobody: 5:42pm On Feb 26, 2020
ojeysky:

My V6 E320 2001 does far better
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by 9icetoo(m): 7:16pm On Feb 26, 2020
Smartchoiice:

That is a saloon and not an SUV or a minivan. These two weigh considerably more than your v6 e 320. Again, your e320 has a smaller displacement even though it is a V6.
Those two factors are in favour of the V6 e320.
Fuel economy can never be the same based on the two factors above.
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Nobody: 8:08pm On Feb 26, 2020
9icetoo:

That is a saloon and not an SUV or a minivan. These two weigh considerably more than your v6 e 320. Again, your e320 has a smaller displacement even though it is a V6.
Those two factors are in favour of the V6 e320.
Fuel economy can never be the same based on the two factors above.

You're wrong difference less than 50lbs

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by 9icetoo(m): 2:56pm On Feb 27, 2020
Smartchoiice:

You're wrong difference less than 50lbs
Yeah. Less than 50lbs. It all adds up.
Drag coefficient as well.
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by ojeysky(m): 8:35pm On Feb 27, 2020
Smartchoiice:

How far? How much mileage do you do..... The HL is actually close to datasheet fuel consumption so am somewhat fine.
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by dejidotun2000(m): 4:38pm On Mar 08, 2020
diportivo:

with/without ac
1.4 manual
highway only
Thanks.
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by cokegee: 9:55pm On Mar 11, 2020
Hello gurus in the house I need your view, I have a Camry 2003 am not sure if it consumes fuel. I buy 5k fuel and use for a week from Sobo egbeda to opebi ikeja. What do u think, does the car consume fuel
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by nurey(m): 11:17am On Mar 12, 2020
cokegee:
Hello gurus in the house I need your view, I have a Camry 2003 am not sure if it consumes fuel. I buy 5k fuel and use for a week from Sobo egbeda to opebi ikeja. What do u think, does the car consume fuel

Fuel consumption isn't calculated that way either buy full tank and reset trip meter A to zero then drive and when the indicator reaches half use the number of km traveled against the number of liters expected in half tank

1 Like

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by cokegee: 9:04am On Mar 14, 2020
nurey:

Fuel consumption isn't calculated that way either buy full tank and reset trip meter A to zero then drive and when the indicator reaches half use the number of km traveled against the number of liters expected in half tank
That is a cool idea what about when am in traffic
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by nurey(m): 10:22am On Mar 14, 2020
cokegee:
That is a cool idea what about when am in traffic
That is purely city driving
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by solaaje1976(m): 9:57pm On Mar 14, 2020
cokegee:

my Toyota Camry 02 model 2az engine cover 400 miles on a full talk. hope it is OK?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Remain Of A Family Car After Crashing Into A Wall With 120MPH. / Inside Innoson Motor Manufacturing Plant Nnewi Nigeria – World’s 1st Black Owned / Camry Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.