Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,834 members, 7,813,788 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:26 PM

The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand (6196 Views)

The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Parts Of A Car That Has The Biggest Impact On Fuel Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Bosun13: 6:07pm On Aug 08, 2019
It was started with my Toyota sienna, I do complain about my sienna year 2000 that fuel economy was very bad but to my surprise after making enough enquiry how normal sienna suppose to run, I realized my car is Ok after spending enough to satisfied both kazeems and real engineers....change catalyst,plugs and so many after enough diagnoses ...but just of recent my exhaust pipe burst after 02 censors, i couldn't bear the louder sound but i decided to use it like that for several weeks. To my surprise with that louder sound, where i use to go with #2000 fuel...I'm now using #1000 fuel..pls i dnt really Understand the reason bcs i do hear of busting exhaust leak consume much fuel...i need guru explanation thanks
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Bosun13: 7:09pm On Aug 08, 2019
Your contribution is needed pls
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Mayor555(m): 7:28pm On Aug 08, 2019
Do you still buy fuel in same place sir, as when your exhaust was intact?
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Bosun13: 7:36pm On Aug 08, 2019
Mayor555:
Do you still buy fuel in same place sir, as when your exhaust was intact?
....i didn't change the filling station
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Mayor555(m): 7:55pm On Aug 08, 2019
Bosun13:
....i didn't change the filling station

Fuel consumption has so many factors tied to it, ranging from type of fuel to tyres, to drive habbit, load, traffics, amongst others..

But are you sure you're calculating the fuel usage well?

Well, over to gurus.... You can call the big guns in the house....

Let me help you call the ever ready Nurey, your attention is needed sir, I go like learn
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by nurey(m): 8:13pm On Aug 08, 2019
Bosun13:
It was started with my Toyota sienna, I do complain about my sienna year 2000 that fuel economy was very bad but to my surprise after making enough enquiry how normal sienna suppose to run, I realized my car is Ok after spending enough to satisfied both kazeems and real engineers....change catalyst,plugs and so many after enough diagnoses ...but just of recent my exhaust pipe burst after 02 censors, i couldn't bear the louder sound but i decided to use it like that for several weeks. To my surprise with that louder sound, where i use to go with #2000 fuel...I'm now using #1000 fuel..pls i dnt really Understand the reason bcs i do hear of busting exhaust leak consume much fuel...i need guru explanation thanks

If you are using the fuel gauge indicator as your fuel economy calculator OYO is your case. Buy full tank, if your engine in the sienna is 1mz and is in top shape then

full tank down to the end of the first quarter mark is 150kms

quarter mark to exactly half point is 180 to 200km meaning full tank to half tank should be 350km, the more you deviate then the more you should be worried about my stats is for combined 20% traffic (1.5hrs) 80% highway (3-4hrs)

good luck.
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Bosun13: 8:24pm On Aug 08, 2019
nurey:

If you are using the fuel gauge indicator as your fuel economy calculator OYO is your case. Buy full tank, if your engine in the sienna is 1mz and is in top shape then

quarter mark to exactly half point is 180 to 200km meaning full tank to half tank should be 350km, the more you deviate then the more you should be worried about my stats is for combined 20% traffic (1.5hrs) 80% highway (3-4hrs)

good luck.
....thanks i will try it and see
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by dicksonadams(m): 10:34pm On Aug 08, 2019
Lol...
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by jodeci(m): 2:14am On Aug 09, 2019
I think the logic is the faster the spent gas exits the better the fuel economy. When your exhaust is broken,the spent gas wouldn't have to travel all the way through the port to exit.

1 Like

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Bosun13: 5:09am On Aug 09, 2019
jodeci:
I think the logic is the faster the spent gas exits the better the fuel economy. When your exhaust is broken,the spent gas wouldn't have to travel all the way through the port to exit.
....ever since then, i dnt mind the louder sound it gives, i just continue using it like that. But i don't know the negative result it can later bring to my engine that's why I want to learn more from guru in the house
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:04am On Aug 09, 2019
Bosun13:

yes a leaking exhaust that has o2 sensor can lead the car to consume for fuel

the reason being air from
outside gets sucked in into the exhaust therefore it affect the reading if the o2 sensor, the o2 sends that false reading to ECU,based on that false reading the ECU adjust the fuel air ratio by adding more fuel becoz the reading from the o2 is indicating more air in the exhaust fumes, therefore ECU add more fuel to balance the ratio

so the ECU is constantly adding fuel due to hole in the exhaust system bring more more air that results in false reading via o2 sensor
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Bosun13: 7:35am On Aug 09, 2019
ZIMDRILL:

yes a leaking exhaust that has o2 sensor can lead the car to consume for fuel

the reason being air from
outside gets sucked in into the exhaust therefore it affect the reading if the o2 sensor, the o2 sends that false reading to ECU,based on that false reading the ECU adjust the fuel air ratio by adding more fuel becoz the reading from the o2 is indicating more air in the exhaust fumes, therefore ECU add more fuel to balance the ratio

so the ECU is constantly adding fuel due to hole in the exhaust system bring more more air that results in false reading via o2 sensor
....the leakage is after 02 sensor not before 02 sensor
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Bosun13: 7:40am On Aug 09, 2019
It really save my fuel now . Before, i can't go anywhere i like because of fuel economy of my sienna but now i'm moving everywhere i like with loud sound

1 Like

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by ojeysky(m): 8:52pm On Aug 11, 2019
nurey:

good luck.

It's still strange that 1mz in sienna does this good milage. My Highlander does 260miles on full tank (150m on half tank). Though I understand Highlander is heavier than Sienna yet I think the difference is quite significant. Could there be something wrong? Ofcourse I have no intention of bursting my silencer pipe cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by nurey(m): 6:46am On Aug 12, 2019
ojeysky:

It's still strange that 1mz in sienna does this good milage. My Highlander does 260miles on full tank (150m on half tank). Though I understand Highlander is heavier than Sienna yet I think the difference is quite significant. Could there be something wrong? Ofcourse I have no intention of bursting my silencer pipe cheesy

My sienna is always in too shape.

I live on the island and work on the mainland (Ogudu) I am always zooming to work no traffic

I also go to Ogun state regularly I leave early and only get caught up in traffic less than an hour

I maintain 90km/h only exceed that when I intend to over take.

I don't pack load and my suspension is stock.

5W40 all the time and platinum twin tip spark plugs buy fuel from only MRS, NNPC and TOTAL.

The Highlander comes in 3 configuration s

2.4L i4 should have a better fuel economy than the sienna

3.0L V6 FWD should be identical to the sienna

3.0L V6 4WD should be just a stone throw from the sienna.

Then also note that I do more of highway driving in my movement when your journey is follow follow traffic in lagos, please stop calculating fuel economy cause you can run mad.

but your 260miles on full tank is alarmingly bad haba my Navigator V8 would do 320miles in city driving only with traffic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by EngRichie: 6:50am On Aug 12, 2019
Your observation could be correct. If your intake and exhaust were previously out of tune, the new leak might just have contributed positively to the tune especially if you have a restrictive catalytic converter in there.
There are a lot that I could explain here but time would not permit me.

Regards.

1 Like

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Bosun13: 7:11am On Aug 12, 2019
EngRichie:
Your observation could be correct. If your intake and exhaust were previously out of tune, the new leak might just have contributed positively to the tune especially if you have a restrictive catalytic converter in there.
There are a lot that I could explain here but time would not permit me. .... Note

Regards.
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by ojeysky(m): 7:48am On Aug 12, 2019
nurey:

My sienna is always in too shape.

I live on the island and work on the mainland (Ogudu) I am always zooming to work no traffic

I also go to Ogun state regularly I leave early and only get caught up in traffic less than an hour

I maintain 90km/h only exceed that when I intend to over take.

I don't pack load and my suspension is stock.

5W40 all the time and platinum twin tip spark plugs buy fuel from only MRS, NNPC and TOTAL.

The Highlander comes in 3 configuration s

2.4L i4 should have a better fuel economy than the sienna

3.0L V6 FWD should be identical to the sienna

3.0L V6 4WD should be just a stone throw from the sienna.

Then also note that I do more of highway driving in my movement when your journey is follow follow traffic in lagos, please stop calculating fuel economy cause you can run mad.

but your 260miles on full tank is alarmingly bad haba my Navigator V8 would do 320miles in city driving only with traffic.

That's why am worried my brother (bought toks this year), am not lagosian so no much traffic at my end, my utilisation is 60% highway and 40% city, it's a 4WD 02 model and has no cel light on dash. I do 5w30 synthetic. Will try to replace plugs since I don't know milage already on them, and maybe will clean up MAF as well.

Any other thing you suggest I look into?
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by thebigkendo(m): 9:46pm On Aug 12, 2019
Some people are just mixing up km & miles anyhow..
Some other people will now go & be repairing wetin no spoil, dey find wetin no lost..

Navigator that has approx 100litres tank is been compared against highlander with 70litres tank..

Make una continue sha..
Diportivo I need another plate of peppersoup

1 Like

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by diportivo: 10:23pm On Aug 12, 2019
ol boy

I read

I laff

I tire

grin
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by RZArecta2(m): 10:28pm On Aug 12, 2019
MYTH undecided it’s spelled MYTH cry your spelling is disturbing me

2 Likes

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by Bosun13: 10:32pm On Aug 12, 2019
diportivo:
ol boy

I read

I laff

I tire

grin
...oga abeg no laugh us now !....pls knowledge is power... educate us wht we don't know and we are ready to learn..God bless you my brother

1 Like

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by ojeysky(m): 11:22pm On Aug 12, 2019
thebigkendo:
Some people are just mixing up km & miles anyhow..
Some other people will now go & be repairing wetin no spoil, dey find wetin no lost..

Navigator that has approx 100litres tank is been compared against highlander with 70litres tank..

Make una continue sha..
Diportivo I need another plate of peppersoup

This is an unnecessary sarcasm. Unless nurey mixed up the km/m but I think he used them correctly. I am more about the sienna which runs same engine with my HL which is doing 150miles at half tank compared to his sienna that is doing 217miles. Secondly my current utilisation is about 70 miles off the city specs in the manual.
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by thebigkendo(m): 9:44am On Aug 13, 2019
ojeysky:

This is an unnecessary sarcasm. Unless nurey mixed up the km/m but I think he used them correctly. I am more about the sienna which runs same engine with my HL which is doing 150miles at half tank compared to his sienna that is doing 217miles. Secondly my current utilisation is about 70 miles off the city specs in the manual.

Keep on dashing mechanic money for mpg from the manual, I hope you get it one day grin grin

Let me quote my self

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by ojeysky(m): 2:36pm On Aug 13, 2019
thebigkendo:

Keep on dashing mechanic money for mpg from the manual, I hope you get it one day grin grin

Let me quote my self

Wow! You could just share what is practical from your experience instead of being sarcastic. Infact you can be sarcastic and still speak on a serious note. I didn't post here because I know everything, I posted here to learn other people's experience and I don't think you've contributed to that.

First you claim km/mileage mix-up and I have clarified such does not exist (as you probably misread my post), instead of you to point out where I was getting things wrong you are forming don. Isorite Oya take your crown grin

3 Likes

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by dicksonadams(m): 2:37pm On Aug 13, 2019
Lolz
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by thebigkendo(m): 2:55pm On Aug 13, 2019
As a clown that I am, I will just leave this here so I don't "misread" any other thing grin grin grin

Sienna is speaking Canadian while the highlander is speaking American grin grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10022092_screenshot20190812214825chrome_jpeg55c7ef8b8329e78b2349c220a18c7db5

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by ojeysky(m): 3:28pm On Aug 13, 2019
thebigkendo:
As a clown that I am, I will just leave this here so I don't "misread" any other thing grin grin grin

Sienna is speaking Canadian while the highlander is speaking American grin grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10022092_screenshot20190812214825chrome_jpeg55c7ef8b8329e78b2349c220a18c7db5

The stuff you underlined still doesn't indicate where I got it wrong. Maybe this will help:

Sienna 350km= 217miles on half tank
Highlander 241km = 150miles on half tank

Sienna full tank figures. Not provided by Nurey
Highlander full tank figures 418km = 260miles.

Hopefully you will realize you misread something or better still clarify where I mis-spoke and will be quick to apologize
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by nurey(m): 3:38pm On Aug 13, 2019
ojeysky:

The stuff you underlined still doesn't indicate where I got it wrong. Maybe this will help:

Hopefully you will realize you misread something or better still clarify where I mis-spoke and will be quick to apologize

I can't provide my own full tank calculator because I don't wait till the last quarter tank before I refill and the reason is because of dirty fuel in Nigeria I don't want to spoil my fuel pump. I do drive well above 400km and my indicator is just a quarter step away from the half mark.

The quoted distance to the empty indicator light coming on is around 650km by oyinbos in a forum an imbeci1e in the lot actually flogged his sienna to empty at 670km as claimed by him just to find out how many km the sienna can truly go from full to no fuel in the tank.

You don't necessarily have to have same mpg as quoted by the white man, what I just do is if oyinbos say 12L/100km I am happy with 15L for same when I no carry load and 17L for same if the car is at full capacity.
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by nurey(m): 4:08pm On Aug 13, 2019
The Highlander has approximately 75L while sienna has 79L

for the 1mz we have
2wd V6 17mpg city and 21mpg highway

4wd V6 16mpg city and 21mpg highway

both have a combined of 18mpg as fuel economy.

let's convert 18mpg to L/100km = 13L/100km

so your vehicle is doing 13L per 100km now to mathematics

75L(tank capacity) / 13L X 100km = 576.xxkm let's say 577km. when your needle would be on red E mark. so half tank should be around 280km.

What's the reason for the difference in mpg between the Highlander and the sienna?
I will be back to trash this one out.

continued
The sienna is 100kg heavier than the Highlander so in retrospect the Highlander should be fuel efficient than the sienna but for Toyota it's always upside down just like the 3.5L 2gr sienna is fuel efficient than the 3.3L 3MZ which is better than the 3.0L 1MZ.

sienna 97-00 1mz 19mpg 198hp

sienna 01-03 1mz vvti 21mpg 210hp

Highlander 1mz vvti 18mpg 220hp

Lexus Rx300 1mz vvti 18mpg 220hp

Toyota harrier 1mz 17mpg 210hp

My final ascertion to the discrepancy in fuel economy amongst Toyota vehicles using same engine but different weight is probably to get more power from the Engine you have to sacrifice a little fuel economy. That's the only reason I can deduce from the setup, though I am not saying I am 100% right.

cc Ojeysky

2 Likes

Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by seanfer(m): 5:07pm On Aug 13, 2019
nurey:
The Highlander has approximately 75L while sienna has 79L

for the 1mz we have
2wd V6 17mpg city and 21mpg highway

4wd V6 16mpg city and 21mpg highway

both have a combined of 18mpg as fuel economy.

let's convert 18mpg to L/100km = 16L/100km

so your vehicle is doing 16L per 100km now to mathematics

75L(tank capacity) / 16L X 100km = 468.75km let's say 450k. when your needle would be on red E mark. so half tank should be around 220km.

What's the reason for the difference in mpg between the Highlander and the sienna?
I will be back to trash this one out.

cc Ojeysky

Sir Nurey, I think you made a mistake with the km... 100miles=160km..
75L(tank Capacity)/16L X 160km= 750km.
Re: The Might Of Fuel Economy I Don't Understand by thebigkendo(m): 6:00pm On Aug 13, 2019
ojeysky:

Let me carry my comedy else where grin grin
As you are going to the mechanic, be ready to replace the following
-Air flow sensor
-Catalyst converter
-oxygen sensor
-plugs
-injector
-Injector mouth grin

After the replacement, please be kind to give me the replaced parts

Thanks in advance grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Golf 4 (manual Gear) A Good Buy? / Camry Or Avensis? / Why Always Toyota with horrible problems?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.