Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,649 members, 7,820,257 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie (14195 Views)

What's The Most Insensitive Question(s) A Recruiter Has Ever Asked You? / Points to note before sending out your CV to a recruiter / Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by DaBogu: 3:03pm On Aug 09, 2019
I am going to share my experience as a recruiter, hiring executive assistants for several clients. Some may not like what I have to say, but I can only speak my truth.

Do we have a major youth unemployment problem in Nigeria,yes we do. While there is a challenge of not enough positions aligned with educated youths, as a recruiter I have seen there is a portion of the youth that is not serious about employment. Almost a sense of entitlement.

Many Nigerian youths have access to data and social media. That is how people find me and apply to jobs. I would think during your idle time, you would take time and teach yourself new skills and level up. Unfortunately this is not the case for many candidates I interview.

Let's say I have 10 candidates that I want to interview. Only 5 of them will respond to my initial interview. The other 5 candidates never respond.

Out of the 5 candidates that respond to my email, only three of them will be able to demonstrate knowledge of excel and PowerPoint.

Once I meet them in person, two candidates will call me the day of the interview with one long story basically saying they can not come to the interview, and only one candidate will actually be ready to present to a candidate.

After going to this process over and over again, I have started to ask myself is it worth it? I want to help more Nigerians get jobs, but it's clear to me overall we are not serious.
ver 400 resumes I have for EA positions, only 50 resumes have been presentable to clients.

Nigerian youths if there is not anything else you get out of my message, you need to level up. The Nigerian education system is not preparing you for the workforce. Start teaching yourself basic etiquette of how to apply for a job and the interview process.

Stop sending emails with no subject title or body in the email. Then you attach your resume and expecting a positive response.

Stop embellishing your resume, only to find your are not anything close to what your resume presents.

Do not put a number on a resume that will be hard for a recruiter to reach you.

And finally, if you applied to a position you should be in your inbox more than social media. I can not tell you how many times I get an email from a candidate a week later saying they are just now seeing my email.
This is the cold hard truth. As much as I want to help Nigerian youths. Many of us are not prepared for employment.

121 Likes 14 Shares

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by micfoley: 3:30pm On Aug 09, 2019
A real eye opener

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by futuregovernor: 4:36pm On Aug 09, 2019
Commot for road and park well! Someone will spend his or her hard end money,pay transport come interview......,d person will not hear from such employer or recruiter's again if he/she is successful or not. Some employers/ recruiter's in Nigeria always behave like god's as if applicants don't have an option. Mr busy body,stop posting rubbish

134 Likes 12 Shares

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Kwenty: 4:46pm On Aug 09, 2019
You are very correct with your observations. Sincerely speaking, many Nigerian graduates are not employable. But sir/Madam, it is also annoying for job seekers who are qualified, experienced and also serious in getting a job being denied the opportunity on the basis of age, tribe, religion etc.
Please post the vacancies here for those of us that are serious.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by KevMitnick: 5:04pm On Aug 09, 2019
HRs like to behave like demigods. They won't even reply to emails asking for feedback. Even if a candidate doesn't make it, a simple mail stating how he can improve on his weaknesses will go a long way. But these guys,.... Smh

73 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by fbtowner(m): 5:14pm On Aug 09, 2019
i basically dont see much truth here it is very difficult for most fresh graduate to get a job, if u manage to see one they will restrict u with location

fraustration is the main reason most graduate just send cv anyhow

as a job seeker i av applied for over 100 jobs with ur so call message body or cover letter and header, not a single interview because there is no experience ,until i lie about experience

u guys need to do more and stop acting like u dont know how fraustrating joblessness can be

53 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by laudate: 7:35pm On Aug 09, 2019
DaBogu:
I am going to share my experience as a recruiter, hiring executive assistants for several clients. Some may not like what I have to say, but I can only speak my truth.

Do we have a major youth unemployment problem in Nigeria,yes we do. While there is a challenge of not enough positions aligned with educated youths, as a recruiter I have seen there is a portion of the youth that is not serious about employment. Almost a sense of entitlement.

Many Nigerian youths have access to data and social media. That is how people find me and apply to jobs. I would think during your idle time, you would take time and teach yourself new skills and level up. Unfortunately this is not the case for many candidates I interview.

Let's say I have 10 candidates that I want to interview. Only 5 of them will respond to my initial interview. The other 5 candidates never respond.

Out of the 5 candidates that respond to my email, only three of them will be able to demonstrate knowledge of excel and PowerPoint.

Once I meet them in person, two candidates will call me the day of the interview with one long story basically saying they can not come to the interview, and only one candidate will actually be ready to present to a candidate.

After going to this process over and over again, I have started to ask myself is it worth it? I want to help more Nigerians get jobs, but it's clear to me overall we are not serious.
ver 400 resumes I have for EA positions, only 50 resumes have been presentable to clients.

Nigerian youths if there is not anything else you get out of my message, you need to level up. The Nigerian education system is not preparing you for the workforce. Start teaching yourself basic etiquette of how to apply for a job and the interview process.

Stop sending emails with no subject title or body in the email. Then you attach your resume and expecting a positive response.

Stop embellishing your resume, only to find your are not anything close to what your resume presents.

And finally, if you applied to a position you should be in your inbox more than social media. I can not tell you how many times I get an email from a candidate a week later saying they are just now seeing my email.
This is the cold hard truth. As much as I want to help Nigerian youths. Many of us are not prepared for employment.

Madam, thanks for your epistle. sad But you are not telling the whole truth, about the recruitment process.

Sometimes, you recruiters prefer youth or young age, over experience and aptitude. You will say, "applicants over 25 years old need not apply." What is that supposed to mean?

Another thing you guys do, is to use ATS and other foreign HR software to sift through resumes. And you lose good or valuable candidates in the process, because their CVs or email addresses have not been tailored to conform to some preconceived notion that the HR manager has designed. Nigerian HR Managers have developed all sorts of bylaws or guidelines to suit their ego. sad

You see them saying if your email address does not contain your full name or five letters, then your application goes into the bin. Really?? Who made that law? Are you hiring aptitude or e-mail? shocked

I have seen first class graduates who cross their 'T's and dot their 'i's when it comes to sending online applications. But they are never shortlisted or called up for interviews. undecided At the end of the day, you will see one barely qualified millennial hired for the post, who does not know his/her left from his/her right. He or she got the job because they were related to the Chairman, MD or GM of the firm.

So why waste the time of other more qualified applicants, by subjecting them to the hassle of sending resumes, attending tests or interviews, and making them wait for an interminable period, only for you to go back and hire your preferred candidate through the back door?? shocked

Last but not the least, is the lack of feedback from Nigerian recruiters. What does it cost to send a general email and blind copy unsuccessful applicants, by letting them know they would not be hired after the interview, and thanking them for their time? angry

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by laudate: 7:38pm On Aug 09, 2019
futuregovernor:
Commot for road and park well! Someone will spend his or her hard end money,pay transport come interview......,d person will not hear from such employer or recruiter's again if he/she is successful or not. Some employers/ recruiter's in Nigeria always behave like god's as if applicants don't have an option. Mr busy body,stop posting rubbish
KevMitnick:
HRs like to behave like demigods. They won't even reply to emails asking for feedback. Even if a candidate doesn't make it, a simple mail stating how he can improve on his weaknesses will go a long way. But these guys,.... Smh
Exactly! shocked I am tired of preaching to Nigerian HR people about the need for feedback. Yet, they call themselves professionals.

Even when you hire them to carry out a recruitment exercise for you as a client, they end up frustrating you. angry

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by peptones: 10:44pm On Aug 09, 2019
DaBogu:

You are actually correct.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by daxon001(m): 12:15am On Aug 10, 2019
DaBogu:

Maybe tiredness is starting to set in. But I'm not. I'm doing exactly the tips you're sharing here. And just so you know. I'm in for an opportunity to as an executive assistant too o.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Eggovic: 4:24am On Aug 10, 2019
DaBogu:

Let me get something straight,
Is this your personal experience or chika uwazie's personal experience or dabogu=Chika uwazie?
Cause I know you are based in Abuja

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by DaBogu: 8:11am On Aug 14, 2019
Kwenty:
You are very correct with your observations. Sincerely speaking, many Nigerian graduates are not employable. But sir/Madam, it is also annoying for job seekers who are qualified, experienced and also serious in getting a job being denied the opportunity on the basis of age, tribe, religion etc.
Please post the vacancies here for those of us that are serious.
The govt is to be held responsible for that.
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by DaBogu: 8:13am On Aug 14, 2019
fbtowner:
i basically dont see much truth here it is very difficult for most fresh graduate to get a job, if u manage to see one they will restrict u with location

fraustration is the main reason most graduate just send cv anyhow

as a job seeker i av applied for over 100 jobs with ur so call message body or cover letter and header, not a single interview because there is no experience ,until i lie about experience

u guys need to do more and stop acting like u dont know how fraustrating joblessness can be
This won't get you any job. When you lie, they will surely find out.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by DaBogu: 8:15am On Aug 14, 2019
I will keep you in the loop.
daxon001:

Maybe tiredness is starting to set in. But I'm not. I'm doing exactly the tips you're sharing here. And just so you know. I'm in for an opportunity to as an executive assistant too o.
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by DaBogu: 8:15am On Aug 14, 2019
Eggovic:

Is this your personal experience or chika uwazie's personal experience or dabogu=Chika uwazie?
The latter.
Eggovic:

The latter.
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Eggovic: 8:28am On Aug 14, 2019
DaBogu:
The latter.
Interesting Would love to connect

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Olamsoh: 8:55am On Aug 14, 2019
Most people are not aware of the fact that the dynamics of interviews is such that you can inform your interviewers that you are a bit nervous. You will be surprised at the level of care you will receive.

Don't loose an opportunity just because you are nervous.

8 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by fbtowner(m): 7:51pm On Aug 15, 2019
DaBogu:
This won't get you any job. When you lie, they will surely find out.

At least it will get u interview

It's better tgan them trashing ur CV without reaching out

Ur presence there one day might be favoured

7 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by DaBogu: 9:14am On Aug 19, 2019
fbtowner:

At least it will get u interview

It's better tgan them trashing ur CV without reaching out

Ur presence there one day might be favoured
How?

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by SMJay: 1:15am On Jan 13, 2023
futuregovernor:
True
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by GloriousGbola: 10:47am On Jan 13, 2023
futuregovernor:

Definitely not ready. grin

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Weederness: 10:47am On Jan 13, 2023
My experience as non-recruiter, I mean job seeker. Can't say it yet, I'm not made to that level! Brooooo

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by ecolime(m): 10:48am On Jan 13, 2023
Old thread cheesy

Anyway, now that all the Youths are leaving the country, I am sure your work as a recruiter has doubled.

Tables have turned. Time for experienced employees to make Shakira.. lol

3 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Wealthyone: 10:50am On Jan 13, 2023
The poster is very correct. As an experienced recruiter who has been in HR for eight (cool good years, i couldn't agree with you less. Some will even come for the interview w/o checking the company's website and will tell you they did not check if you query why they know nothing about the organization.

Reading the job description of what they applied for is even too much for sum. Our youths especially new and not so new graduates needs to do better

On the positive side, i have interviewed smart one and very brilliant ones who really wow'd me wink

6 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Richy4(m): 10:51am On Jan 13, 2023
cheesy cheesy angry sad embarassed
OP..I totally understand you.. But sometimes, We have to see things in another perspective...The last time I checked, most of the unemployed youths do not have source of income to pay for data. It's unfortunate that ordinary country like South Africa usually give its citizens who were unemployed some little pocket change even though I heard that it's small but Nigerians cannot do it due to the fact that the law maker's wardrobe allowances needed to be reviewed every year..

The Applicants that were giving you long stories, you cannot tell the distance where they reside? They may have sorted for transport fare to locate you but could not?

Not trying to be the devil's advocate but I don't think Nigerian youths are finding things easy. though I understand you that some of them just don't care. But there are some who genuinely needed the job but can't afford to be online daily to check mails...

10 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by asobo1: 10:51am On Jan 13, 2023
KevMitnick:
The same people at one point in time were jobless too but now treat applicants with disdain.

11 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Lanretoye(m): 10:53am On Jan 13, 2023
2019 thread.
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Jahzrockballer(m): 10:54am On Jan 13, 2023
following
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Jefferyhi86(m): 10:55am On Jan 13, 2023
Hmm u think is everyone who has fund to subscribe to data week in week out to know if he/she received a mail wen person ne ever subscribe em stomach.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Kiddogarcia(m): 10:55am On Jan 13, 2023
Pk
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by VenumX: 11:00am On Jan 13, 2023
You can lie sha. Even with your epistle, I was able to spot grammatical blunders here and there. Not that I am perfect though but my point is that you are not different from the applicants you criticize.

Secondly, alot of people who apply just do so for applying sake...that's why they don't turn up because they know it would be a waste of time, money, mental and physical energy.

How about the ones that turn up? They get to face nacissists like you who use the unemployment situation to ask stupid questions. How can you tell somebody applying for an admin job to pretend he/she is selling a pen and utter sellout speech? Some one who passed your aptitude test. You want a whole package that will do heavy multitasking. Are you aware that most innovators aren't people friendly or vocal?

A lot of you recruiters steal ideas from applicants without recruiting simply because you saw that he/she worked in a 'rival' company.

You can't make out resources from your company to train people. And even when you do, you sieve out potential applicants with your useless requirements and apply age discrimination. How do you now want to get the best?

Las las, you are all frauds...just get out!!!

25 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UK Qualified Teachers Status (QTS) Application / Senate To End Underground Recruitment Into Federal Agencies – Saraki / Citibank Nigeria Limited Latest Job Recruitment (3 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.