Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,857 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:33 PM

The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic (24969 Views)

The History And Evolution Of Toyota Camry / The History And Evolution Of Toyota Hilux / The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by Godspower35(m): 10:04am On Aug 11, 2019
Honda Civic (1973 - 1979)
[img]https://1.bp..com/-lNIuO_jR_lU/XU-z6eJyAWI/AAAAAAAACl4/4gEaKkIyIQMpGPh7bp95gEgXC68nit5twCLcBGAs/s320/Honda%2BCivic%2BMk1%2B%2528First%2529.jpg[/img]
The first-generation Honda Civic was not the company's first car, but it was the first with something bigger than a two-cylinder 600 cc engine. It started on July 11, 1972, but was sold as a 1973 model in Japan.

Honda's Civic motto was "Get it where you want to go," and with its water-cooled, 1,169cc, four-cylinder engine, it could do just that, but at a low cost and with incredible reliability. This combination of reliability,
quality workmanship, cost and fuel efficiency has helped Civic and the Japanese automotive industry to reach the top of the automotive industry.

Honda Civic (1980 - 1983)
[img]https://1.bp..com/-FNdacMdhjec/XU-3gR-odII/AAAAAAAACmE/OY9yY7DcOYYQs_OHy7z84YPY9Lj4BHEXACLcBGAs/s320/Honda%2BCivic%2B%2528Second%2529.jpg[/img]
Honda continued its momentum in 1980 with the second-generation Civic. The new Civic was slimmer, taller and more similar to the Civic we met today. All Civic engines now used the CVCC design and the base model was equipped with a 1335 cc engine producing 55 hp. Honda also brought a model with 1,488 cc on the market, which made 67 hp.

The launch of the second-generation Civic offered three transmission options: a four-speed manual transmission (for basic models), a five-speed manual transmission and a two-speed automatic transmission.

The special feature of this Civic generation was the introduction of a special FE model (Fuel Economy), which was developed to improve fuel economy, and a sporty new "S" model. The FE model was rated 41 mpg in the city and an impressive 55 mpg on the highway.

Honda Civic (1984 - 1987)

[img]https://1.bp..com/-MUeCLSRdpkw/XU-8YxP_N1I/AAAAAAAACmQ/bI67NOUiAtsLEA4X5XibTR_fFzZdzG7eACLcBGAs/s320/Honda%2BCivic%2B%2528Third%2529.jpeg[/img]
The third generation Civic is really what made the car what it is today. With the introduction of the new generation Civic Honda introduced some new engines for the car. A 1.3-liter 60 hp engine was mounted on the base tailgate, while other models were equipped with a 76-horsepower engine.

The selection of transmissions for the new Civic was the same as for the previous generation, with a four- and five-speed manual and a three-speed automatic transmission.

Honda launched the Base, DX and S models, but it was the CRX who was the true star of the show. The CRX was offered in two models: the 1.3-liter basic CRX and the more powerful CRX 1.5. Due to its light weight and efficient 1.3-liter engine, the CRX achieved astonishing fuel consumption of 51 mpg in the city and 67 mpg on the highway.

Honda Civic (1988 - 1991)
[img]https://1.bp..com/-xmotLcCmPcU/XU-9pd4ddiI/AAAAAAAACmc/zHyJoSJDssgu2wInZcjvrn4KlRXgTe3kQCLcBGAs/s320/Honda%2BCivic%2B%2528Fourth%2529.jpg[/img]
If you did not believe that the Honda Civic could produce a great sports car, you would change your mind with the fourth generation. The new Civic was slimmer, more refined and more powerful.

In addition to the redesigned exterior, Honda launched a series of new engines. The DX, LX sedan and Wagon models were equipped with a 1.5-liter 16-valve engine, which made 92 hp. The base model hatchback was equipped with a less powerful 70 hp version of the same engine.

The Honda fuel economy champion, the CRX HF, returned to the galley with a 62 horsepower eight-valve engine and 90 kilometers of fuel. The CRX was equipped with a 92 hp engine as standard, while the CRX Si and the Civic 4WD were equipped with the Honda 105 hp 1.6-liter 16-valve engine.

Honda Civic (1992 - 1995)
[img]https://1.bp..com/-xRjxNnZrHkc/XU--x-GklBI/AAAAAAAACmk/NLWsIIx9SVohlUb5d2GLe2_MSJkDgihMACLcBGAs/s320/Honda%2BCivic%2B%2528Fifth%2529.jpg[/img]
No Civic before or after embodies the small car performance movement as well as the fifth generation model. Honda has completely overhauled the Civic, giving it a more aerodynamic bodywork that has put the Civic at the forefront of small car design and development.

Honda continued the trend of offering hatchback and sedan models with a range of different powertrains and trim levels. The hatchback versions include CX, DX, VX and Si. CX models were equipped with a 1.5-liter 70-horsepower engine, while the DX had a 102-horsepower engine. The other two models, the VX and the Si, were equipped with the Honda Variable Valve Timing (VTEC) engine. The VX was equipped with a 92 hp VTEC-E (Economy) engine, while the Si had a 125 hp VTEC engine.

Honda Civic (1996 - 2000)
[img]https://1.bp..com/-eDo9q0FlvlA/XU_Df6vzvEI/AAAAAAAACmw/xjNNWkffGg0SPIkS_7OnhsYBeYbM-H_fgCLcBGAs/s320/Honda%2BCivic%2B%2528Sixth%2529.jpg[/img]
Honda brought for the model year 1996, a new generation Civic on the market, which was overall larger than the previous generation.

Again, sedans were offered in the equipment variants DX, LX and EX. Honda replaced the VX tailgate with a new coupe, the HX. Although the HX was designed as a replacement for the fuel-efficient VX hatchback, it only managed to offer 39 MPG in the city and 45 MPG on the highway, which represents a significant reduction compared to the VX. This was partly due to a more powerful 115 horsepower 1.6-liter VTEC E engine and extra body weight.

Honda Civic (2001 - 2005)
[img]https://1.bp..com/-KuJk_db99CE/XU_HnnV1DVI/AAAAAAAACm8/MJHYJhSSiNcfU_eiBe_Xf03oeRyjonVpgCLcBGAs/s320/Honda%2BCivic%2B%2528Seventh%2529.jpg[/img]
The revised seventh-generation Honda Civic made its debut in 2001. Apart from a nearly identical wheelbase, the seventh generation Civic had undergone a multitude of changes. The body shape was not only completely different, but also completely changed.

The biggest change was the introduction of a new front suspension design that replaced the double wishbone setup with a more comfortable MacPherson strut design. The new suspension also allowed Honda to cut costs and create more space for the K Series engine.

Most of the models offered were equipped with a slightly larger 1.7-liter 117-hp engine, the EX however with a 127-hp engine and the HX with a fuel-efficient 1.7-liter engine with 115 hp. Buyers could opt for a five-speed manual transmission, a four-speed automatic transmission and on the GX or HX models for a CVT transmission.

Honda Civic (2006 - 2011)
[img]https://1.bp..com/-_4KYqbkVhZ8/XU_MP_2kUBI/AAAAAAAACnI/GIpb2rm4aL44Qfh82FCwTjgXtp132hn2gCLcBGAs/s320/Honda%2BCivic%2B%2528Eight%2529.jpg[/img]
The Civic of the eighth generation was available from 2006 and was fundamentally different from the previous generation. The relatively compact bonnet and the high-pitched windscreen gave the coupe and sedan models a spaceship-like appearance. This high-tech look was translated into the interior with a funky-looking dashboard that was ergonomic but had some special features.

Honda split the Civic into two different platforms, one for the saloon and the coupe, and one for a hatchback developed for the European market. The car was offered in familiar trim levels (DX, LX and EX) and powered by a 1.8-liter SOHC in-line quad equipped with Honda's i-VTEC system. This engine produced modest but respectable 140 hp and 128 lb-ft of torque. Buyers can opt for either a five-speed car or a five-speed manual to accompany the new engine.

Honda Civic (2012 - 2015)
[img]https://1.bp..com/-EpehrL9ohn0/XU_PTGr1jbI/AAAAAAAACnU/osIm7oodMiA21cxzNzxE6taam7A2pRd9gCLcBGAs/s320/Honda%2BCivic%2B%2528Ninth%2529.jpg[/img]
The new Civic was slightly smaller than the outgoing model and had a variety of new engines. Offered were the gasoline-powered models DX, LX and EX and a variant with hybrid and natural gas drive. In addition to these models, Honda launched the Civic HF sedan.

The HF sedan received a number of improvements in terms of aerodynamics and fuel efficiency and revived the moniker "HF", which was last used in 1991 for the CRX HF. This car had a 1.8-liter four-cylinder in-line engine, which was paired with a five-speed automatic transmission and could reach 41 MPG in the city.

Honda's Eco Assist technology has been used on most Civic models (except the Si) to reduce fuel consumption. Eco Assist is an information system that helps drivers drive more economically and has been proven to reduce fuel consumption by about 10%.

Honda Civic (2016 - Present)
[img]https://1.bp..com/-9Ay8murksdQ/XU_R0oKss5I/AAAAAAAACng/s-N4lBgwq5ACEQ31i49kWFo9JixavOKkwCLcBGAs/s320/Honda%2BCivic%2B%2528Tenth%2529.jpg[/img]
The tenth-generation Honda Civic is based on the company's brand new compact global platform. It was first introduced in 2015 and continued to show why Honda leads the compact car segment. The tenth generation has a new fastback exterior design, with the rear C-pillar flowing into the tailgate. In addition, the front end has been made futuristic and the interior massively revised.

The engines offered include a 1.6-liter i-VTEC in-line four-liter engine to the 2.0-liter K20C1 type R. The transmission options are limited to a six-speed manual or a CVT transmission.

For more than 40 years, the Honda Civic has been a popular car for riders from all over the world for its reliability, affordability and features.

What's your say?

Please don't forget to Like, Share and Comment
http://www.eliancars.com/2019/08/the-history-and-evolution-of-honda-civic.html

12 Likes

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by IamPatriotic(m): 10:36am On Aug 11, 2019
Honda and Toyota copy each other and their rivalries keep putting people under undue pressure

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by CocoaOla: 3:10pm On Aug 11, 2019
IamPatriotic:
Honda and Toyota copy each other and their rivalries keep putting people under undue pressure
Two brothers from the same country SOICHIRO HONDA AND KIICHIRO TOYODA confusing the whole world with their car brand Soichiro actually work for Kiichiro before

Soichiro Honda = lagest and best combustion engines maker in the whole world known for customer satisfaction and reliability

Kiichiro Toyoda = lagest car manufacturers in the whole world known for exceptional reliability

Soichiro Honda: focused more on Combustion Engines reliability and customer satisfaction not even cars

Kiichiro Toyoda: focused on cars mobility reliability only and doesn't care whether customers is satisfied or not just reliability

Just two brothers from the same place

41 Likes

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by flemsy15(m): 4:46pm On Aug 11, 2019
very educative, but how come some of those 80's and 90's model were still launched as new cars just few yrs ago by Nigerians?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by Nobody: 4:47pm On Aug 11, 2019
2004 civic my uni

Days

1 Like

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by ednut1(m): 4:47pm On Aug 11, 2019
Team toyota. Honda too get issues

2 Likes

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by iCauseTrouble: 4:47pm On Aug 11, 2019
Whats my business with this? Still crusing with my Legxus grin

7 Likes

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by legalwealth(m): 4:48pm On Aug 11, 2019
Nice! !!

1 Like

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by Torimaster(m): 4:48pm On Aug 11, 2019
K. Nice upgrade since inception

1 Like

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by mmadu5(m): 4:49pm On Aug 11, 2019
Honda baby boy all the way

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by Perez50(m): 4:50pm On Aug 11, 2019
That's a lie.......I'm using Honda civic 08.....the car it's perfect and no issues at all

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by Jarus(m): 4:51pm On Aug 11, 2019
Interesting transformation. My first car was Honda Civic 2004 model bought in 2009.

Good rugged low-maintenance car.

Thanks Honda.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by naijadrivablog: 4:52pm On Aug 11, 2019
grin Aerodeck and shooting brake.

For the records, I had a Honda Civic and NO Civic has Honda "leg" wahala.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by FIGARO00: 4:53pm On Aug 11, 2019
I like Honda, it's just their tire issue that puts me off...

1 Like

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 11, 2019
And someone posted that 1980-1983 model for 350k on jiji.com.

Na wa o

4 Likes

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by Casmario2019: 4:55pm On Aug 11, 2019
Informative.

1 Like

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by doggedfighter(f): 4:58pm On Aug 11, 2019
flemsy15:
very educative, but how come some of those 80's and 90's model were still launched as new cars just few yrs ago by Nigerians?
Toh, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 11, 2019
You will still find all these cars in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by zhiggy1(m): 5:06pm On Aug 11, 2019
yea the 2018 civic is the bomb compared to 2019 corolla

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by firfinch(m): 5:06pm On Aug 11, 2019
Nice
Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by Jabioro: 5:08pm On Aug 11, 2019
donziggyman:
[b][/b][/color]Dear suen osewa! Naira land has grown big. Please it's time naira landers users should be able to post videos and files. We're tired of black and white TV! Meanwhile I'm using this medium to share this golden opportunity with everyone here. This is no a platform of rub Israelites to pay Egyptians or rub Egyptians to pay Israelites. This is not get rich quick scheme or money while sleeping. Our main aim is to get rid of poverty by stocking your kitchen with food stuffs and provisions weekly! This is no joke.

Super life : *Is a Multi Leverage Marketing Business*

This is not a peer to peer donation of 'Rob Peter to pay Paul' business( GH and PH)

*This company is fully register with the federal government under CAC RC: 2619767*

you can read more of our unique services at
http://www.superlifemotion.com

*SUPER LIFE*
*Headquarters address* �������

*Asaba office @No 4 Dr j obiďimalor avenue opp salvation ministry Asaba delta state. our asaba head office, soax plaza*
��������
http://www.superlifemotion.com
����������������
*SUPER LIFE COMPENSATION PLAN*

Our unique compensation plan is a 3 by1 and 3 by 2 matrix system that has an excellent spillover effect.

�*FEEDERS*
On registration with #5,000 You have successfully positioned yourself for earnings and therefore have access to all services associated with the company. And You recieve:
*1 Tin of Custard
*1 milk
*1 milo
*1 packet sugar
*Or cash equivalent of #1k*
����

�*STAGE 1(Silver)*
By the time 12 downlines who has completed feeders stage meets you here,
On completion you receive:
*1 10kg Rice
*1litre Groundnut oil
*1 carton of Indomie
*1/4 carton tin tomatoes
*1 500g Milo/Bournvita
*1 400g Milk
*1 packet maggi
*Or cash equivalent of #7k*
�����

�*STAGE 2(Gold)*
By the time 12 persons who has completed stage 1 meets you here,
At completion, you receive #30,000 worth of foodstuffs and cash reward of #20,000
*25kg Rice
*5 litres Groundnut oil
*1/2 carton tin tomatoes
*1 carton Indomie
*2 500g Milo/Bournvita
*2 400g Milk
*5 pieces Sardine/Geisha
*1 Butter/Mayonnaise
*1packet Corn flakes
*1 packet Golden Morn
*1 packet Maggi
*2 packet Salt
*1 packet of Sugar
*1 Bucket Custard
Incentive table gas
*Or cash equivalent of #55,000*
������

� STAGE 3(Diamond):*
Here you need 12 persons who has completed stage 2. At completion you receive cash reward of #100,000, foodstuffs and incentive worth #100,000
*2 50kg Rice
*10 litres Groundnut oil
*1 carton of tomatoes
*1 carton Spaghetti
*4 500g Milo/Bournvita
*4 400g Milk
*2 carton Indomie
*2 10kg semo/wheat
*1 dozen Sardine/Geisha
*2 Cornflakes/Golden morn
*2Family Custard/Oats
*2 Butter/Mayonnaise
*2 packet Maggi
*5 packet Salt
*Detergent
Incentive fan
*Or cash equivalent of #200k*
������

�STAGE 4(Ambassador)*
Here you need 12 downline who have completed their stage3
*At Completion your total earning is #8.5m
* A brand new Car worth #3m
*foodstuffs worth #250,000
* kitchen set #50k
*Fuel Allowance #100k
*Business Grant #5m
*Widow grant #100k

�Food Breakdown is as Follow*
*8 25kg Rice
*3 10 litres Groundnut oil
*2 5 liters of palm oil
*4 Cartons of tomatoes
*3 Cartons of Spaghetti
*4 Cartons of Indomie
*3 10 kg Semo/Wheat
*1 Carton of Sardine/Geisha
*1 carton 500g Milo/Bournvita
*1 carton 400g Milk
*1 carton Cornflakes/Golden Morn
*1 carton family Custard
*3 Butter/Mayonnaise
*5 Packet Maggi
*1 bag Salt
*2 500g Detergent
*2 Dishwasher
*Or cash equivalent of 8m*
�����

this is risky
Of course it is,
Tell me what's not risky especially in our present Nigeria
U need a plan B
Super life food(SUP) should be ur plan b���������������
Join us today with 1,000 and secure your slot to 8M �
Remember Christmas is around the corner.
Stock up your kitchen with just 1,000 or 5000 naira.
One time payment and you will be enjoying food like no mans business.[/b][color=#000099]

https:///HOYsaZchtjkJNZMZdmniqx

WhatsApp or call beautiful boy on +2347030320797

Everything we do we record on video to show others. No private chat we do everything openly in our group[b]
[color=#990000]
Fat lie .. scam alert

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by Isoduwa(m): 5:25pm On Aug 11, 2019
iCauseTrouble:

Which Lexus?
Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by iCauseTrouble: 5:27pm On Aug 11, 2019
Isoduwa:

Which Lexus?
LEGxus

4 Likes

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by drmistng: 5:33pm On Aug 11, 2019
Civic are very nice Honda brand apart from gear and shaft problems !

Are you having body odour and skin problems ?

See my profile.
Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by Kenoxman(m): 5:33pm On Aug 11, 2019
iCauseTrouble:
Now, dat's a lie....
U for no open nor comment if to say u really no get any biz with the thread. But I know say jst like most legxus users, u dey eye four-wheeler somehow.
Let's kip the hope alive, we shall all get there someday.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by Kenoxman(m): 5:34pm On Aug 11, 2019
Isoduwa:

Which Lexus?
Leg-xus

2 Likes

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by godwinkessi: 5:36pm On Aug 11, 2019
I really need someone to change my mind about Honda cars.

I need to know how reliable it is, how easy it is traveling with Honda in long distance, the suspension issue, transmission problems.

Most importantly, how good is their sound system? Which company is responsible for the car stereos system?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic by calculator123(m): 5:41pm On Aug 11, 2019
Jarus:
Interesting transformation. My first car was Honda Civic 2004 model bought in 2009.

Good rugged low-maintenance car.

Thanks Honda.
Sent you a PM

(1) (2) (Reply)

The History And Evolution Of Toyota Hilux / Volvo Promises Deathproof Cars By 2020 Using These Features / Rolls-Royce Sold A Record 5,152 Cars In 2019, The Highest Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.