Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,996 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:34 AM

The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder (15189 Views)

The History And Evolution Of Toyota Camry / The History And Evolution Of Honda Civic / The History And Evolution Of Toyota Hilux (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Godspower35(m): 1:52am On Jun 26, 2019
It's been 34 years since the Nissan Pathfinder was first offered for sale. Since then, it has undergone total development. Although it still bears the DNA of the original, times must change and automakers keep up with new technologies and innovations that provide the public with what they have in terms of updates and the latest comfort and performance of a vehicle in its class desire. Nissan has kept its lead in the
vehicle, which is now in the fifth generation. Before we look at what the automaker has in store for 2020, it's important to understand the story behind the model and its evolution up to that point in time to truly appreciate its inherent value in today's marketplace.

First Generation
[img]https://1.bp..com/-bO8HILkwmNQ/XRKxGIVZP3I/AAAAAAAACUI/0ZTVcysXH2El4Frqg8HzIHFy6xVmNZcMgCLcBGAs/s1600/Pathfinder%2B1.jpg[/img]
The first available Pathfinder was brought in 1985 on the market. The crossover SUV based on the 1985 models of the Nissan truck with fixed body and was only offered in 1989 in a two-door model. The engine was a 2.4-liter four-cylinder as standard equipment. In terms of the market, the main competitors of the Pathfinder were the Jeeps Cherokee, the Toyota 4Runner, the Chevrolet Blazer, the Ford Bronco II, Isuzu's MU and Mitsubishi's Pajero. This gave Nissan some tough competition and the stakes were high as the other brands already secured comfortable positioning in the automotive world. Some of the things you'll notice right away in the first Pathfinder are that the brand would have to overcome some obstacles to grab the attention of a demanding consumer base, lacking the attractive styling of competing brands, the sporty handling and the lack of obstacles was not available with a diesel alternative.

Second Generation
[img]https://1.bp..com/-nTNWf_S4Mko/XRKz98vR-FI/AAAAAAAACUU/JzakVyaZIj43tCNVLBL8ONqc9uqtT4KXgCLcBGAs/s320/Pathfinder%2B2.jpg[/img]
The new model year that began in 1996, the second generation of the Pathfinder. It was time for something new and the changes were quite remarkable. The lines were now rounder and eliminated the stiff and boxy appearance. The new Pathfinder was delivered with a different personality. The more modern and refined edition retained the DNA of its roots and was slightly larger. The design team provided some luxury features, including satellite radio and a DVD entertainment system. The engine was also upgraded to a 3.3-liter engine that produced 168 horses. This was most of what the Pathfinder had offered since its introduction. An additional upgrade to a one-body platform for improved aerodynamics complemented the new look with better handling and performance, and the market continued to grow, which was encouraging.

Third Generation
[img]https://1.bp..com/-b6atZDuYZ28/XRK2QzxTNkI/AAAAAAAACUg/raOyYbcSRtg-LbyWgy80lcBvNFb-oFxowCLcBGAs/s1600/Pathfinder%2B3.jpg[/img]
A new state-of-the-art version was released in 2005. The fact that the Pathfinder underwent an evolutionary process that kept the basic DNA intact and at the same time brought the look, the skills, and the technology into a new age was undeniable. The year 2005 was the opening issue, which ushered in a new chapter in the history of the model with larger size, additional seating for up to seven passengers and a host of new family variants.

A wider choice of options

The third generation started with a selection of Pathfinder family models, starting with the XE as a base, and continually improving on the available SE, SE off-road and LE fairings. For some models, there were more choices for two- or four-wheel drive. They have improved the safety features, including all-around airbags, traction control and ABS braking systems, and incorporated a new onboard computer as an added luxury item.

Improved Capability and performance

In the 2005 issue of the Pathfinder, a regression was made to the frame platform with a modified version of the F Alpha used in the SUV Armada. Improvements in interior design resulted in a seat in the 3rd row of seats that could be split and flipped to give riders the opportunity to create more cargo space or space for more passengers, which was a good option. The engine was upgraded to a 4.0-liter V6, which achieved 266 horsepower and adequate acceleration thanks to the 288-pound torque associated with the upgrade. As another premiere for the model Nissan offered in the 2008 edition even more power. Optionally, a 5.8-liter V8 with 310 hp and 388 pounds of torque was offered. As of 2008, the rig had a trailer load of up to 7,000 pounds. As it turned out, in 2011, just before the start of the fourth generation, Nissan celebrated the 25th anniversary of the Pathfinder.

Fourth Generation
[img]https://1.bp..com/-SoiXfALbjoU/XRK3cxsxhjI/AAAAAAAACUo/2pPTyCQ79lsG58UTImJ7BcWNRnl4H14zwCLcBGAs/s320/Pathfinder%2B4.jpg[/img]
The 2013 released the new Pathfinder SUV with even more changes. It went back to the body design with more focus on road use than off the road. The weight of the vehicle has been reduced by 500 pounds to improve the ride quality in the front wheel drive model. The mid-size SUV lost some traction reducing the capacity of the fourth-generation on-road models to 5,000 pounds. The addition of luxury features, including the third row child seat and second row seat movement for easier access to the third row, were luxury innovations that increased the passenger comfort of the passenger compartment, and the 60/40 split seat made an additional one possible 8.4 cubic feet of cargo space when the space was not needed for passengers. Fuel efficiency was boosted with the new 3.5-liter DOHC V6 engine with a new Xtronic transmission that cut fuel consumption and brought the vehicle on the highway 27 MPG.

Fifth and Present generation
[img]https://1.bp..com/-ZZy_-ekJZNE/XRK5BCbSlwI/AAAAAAAACU4/Oc9FyAjGH5wsdUoj-SpbBJK7Hjng0JibgCLcBGAs/s320/Pathfinder%2B5.jpg[/img]
From 2016 to date, the Pathfinder is in the fifth generation. The 2017 model has been updated with a new infotainment system inside and the option for more technical features, including forward emergency braking, motion-activated tailgate and intelligent cruise control. The engine has been redesigned in half with new components such as a new combustion chamber design, a direct injection system, new pistons and much more. The grille got a new look, along with new LED running lights, fog lights, a new bumper, a mirror, innovative integrated turn signals and the wheels were even given new rims.

2020 Nissan Pathfinder

The fifth generation of the Pathfinder will be extended for 2020. Just when you were wondering if it was time the model stepped down and a new SUV took the lead, it was announced that Nissan plans to continue the line with yet another improved member of the family.

Last Thoughts
Looking back on 1985 and following the history and evolution of the Nissan Pathfinder, we can see how far the vehicle has come in its 34 years since its launch. The development was spectacular, Nissan did a great job with its midsize SUV to keep up with the competition.
[img]https://1.bp..com/-wT8g31kXmGM/XRK-qedLplI/AAAAAAAACVE/jokLnmSta38y5wS22XLAeZgmeeMCd-eRACLcBGAs/s320/Pathfinder%2B6.jpg[/img]
http://www.eliancars.com/2019/06/the-history-and-evolution-of-nissan.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Goahead(m): 10:57am On Jun 26, 2019
Never being a fan of Nissan, though they make incredibly sturdy vehicles like the 1991 Urvan that are still rocking the Lagos - Ibandan route.

20 Likes

Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Andersonjr(m): 10:59am On Jun 26, 2019
Wow it just keeps getting better and better shocked
Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Dottore: 10:59am On Jun 26, 2019
Amongst Japanese brands,
Toyota comes first then Nissan, Honda could have been second but they are seriously losing their market shares

1 Like

Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by freemanbubble: 11:00am On Jun 26, 2019
Okay
Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by JubrinElSudan: 11:00am On Jun 26, 2019
Na 2nd generation full Naija roads embarassed

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by RDPMAN: 11:00am On Jun 26, 2019
The second generation is the most common in Nigeria, Evolution indeed.

4 Likes

Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Sirpaul(m): 11:02am On Jun 26, 2019
cupboard
Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by flex04(m): 11:02am On Jun 26, 2019
Wow

See the First Ever Cars made by Popular Brands

1 Like

Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by coalcoal1(m): 11:03am On Jun 26, 2019
nice
Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by optimusprime2(m): 11:04am On Jun 26, 2019
3rd generation remains my best ... they spoilt the design and idea of the pathfinder from the 4th generation

6 Likes

Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Bluehill1051: 11:04am On Jun 26, 2019
Golf 3
Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by banio: 11:05am On Jun 26, 2019
JubrinElSudan:
Na 2nd generation full Naija roads embarassed
Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Bluehill1051: 11:05am On Jun 26, 2019
optimusprime2:
3rd generation remains my best ... they spoilt the design and idea of the pathfinder from the 4th generation
See mumu
Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by TechCapon(m): 11:06am On Jun 26, 2019
For those who watched living in bondage, I remember the first generation of pathfinder is the first car that Andy bought after using his wife Merit for money ritual grin
It was the biggest car at the time. If dem dash me that car today I go take matches and fuel burn am... cheesy grin

7 Likes

Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 11:07am On Jun 26, 2019
I still have second generation parked in my garrage, very reliable machine.

1 Like

Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Hoodbilonia: 11:08am On Jun 26, 2019
I wan buy nissan maxima se
Abeg any issue with it
I heard nissan na rugged car

1 Like

Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 11:08am On Jun 26, 2019
I drove my mothers third generation pathfinder for a while. The car bam. Vruuuuummmm

1 Like

Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Juliet11111(f): 11:09am On Jun 26, 2019
C
Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by abrojunior94(m): 11:09am On Jun 26, 2019
Oh
Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 11:09am On Jun 26, 2019
Bosch42:
Whereas those driving second generation in Nigeria see themselves as king lol
This life sef
Really? wow! grin second Generation is parked in my back Garden rusting..
Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by chibike007(m): 11:09am On Jun 26, 2019
i prefer their other production line infinity

1 Like

Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Tomide007: 11:12am On Jun 26, 2019
Nigeria is still stuck in the 2nd and 3rd generation
Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by ITbomb(m): 11:15am On Jun 26, 2019
I still prefer this

It has the rugged and prestige feeling of a "jeep", the newer ones seem to be competing with Infinity in design [img]https://1.bp..com/-b6atZDuYZ28/XRK2QzxTNkI/AAAAAAAACUg/raOyYbcSRtg-LbyWgy80lcBvNFb-oFxowCLcBGAs/s1600/Pathfinder%2B3.jpg[/img]

8 Likes

Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by CarGuideNG: 11:25am On Jun 26, 2019

1 Like

Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 11:25am On Jun 26, 2019
still a die hard fan of the 3rd generation!

1 Like

Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 11:27am On Jun 26, 2019
Nissan makes great cars but for some reason, I have never had the need to own one
Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Wigetsolar: 11:27am On Jun 26, 2019
Only Infinity FX35 can catch my fancy in anything made by Nissan.
Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by Favoritechrist2: 11:27am On Jun 26, 2019
They are trying hard to maintain their share of automobile market by improving the quality of their product. That's good for them

1 Like

Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by blank(f): 11:32am On Jun 26, 2019
3rd generation for me.
Re: The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder by buchilino(m): 11:33am On Jun 26, 2019
Goahead:
Never being a fan of Nissan, though they make incredibly sturdy vehicles like the 1991 Urvan that are still rocking the Lagos - Ibandan route.

NEITHER AM I A NISSAN FAN, BUT SUNNY N PREMERA ( 1991 2 1993) WERE GOOD PRODUCTS

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again / I can Help You Get Medical Report For Tinted Glass / Annoying Things Lagos Drivers Do On The Road By AutoReportNG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.