Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,707 members, 7,816,905 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:49 PM

Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! (2812 Views)

Landrover Freelander 2003 Model / Land Rover Freelander For Sale / Thinking Of Going To Mars? This Land Rover Vehicle Is A Perfect Ride (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by Growingboi(m): 12:02pm On Aug 13, 2019
How much does it cost to clear this car here? I intend to bringing it to Nigeria.

Note: I'm not buying it but will only pay for shipping and clearing here.

Who has experience on the car should kindly advice me on its reliability, maintenance and fuel consumption or general advice please.

Thank you in advance. God bless.

Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by Nobody: 12:31pm On Aug 13, 2019
shocked

Wheres Lalasticlala sef?
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by Growingboi(m): 12:55pm On Aug 13, 2019
grayht:
shocked

Just say something biko. This sign will not help
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by obekediamondfuto(m): 12:59pm On Aug 13, 2019
well, my predecessors have always maintained an opinion that all vehicles are good if you do the standard maintenance as at when due....

I have always had a different opinion....
If ur heart loves this Car, go for it...

cc nurey, eric2ko, thebigkendo, heavenlybang,

and our main oga
legalwealth...

3 Likes

Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by nurey(m): 2:09pm On Aug 13, 2019
Growingboi:
How much does it cost to clear this car here? I intend to bringing it to Nigeria.

Who has experience on the car should kindly advice me on its reliability, maintenance and fuel consumption or general advice please.

Buy it, you would enjoy every drive in it.

The freelander is a no go area for the petrol Engine be it 4cylinder or 6cylinder, the Rover k series engine are the most grossly engineered piece of crap.

The diesel case is different with the BMW manufactured engine or the Rover diesel, you are covered. The manual transmission would ensure the vehicle last you till you grow old.

I dropped this info because you have a diesel engine don't let anybody coerce you into ever switching to petrol Engine cause that would be the beginning of the end.
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by Growingboi(m): 2:57pm On Aug 13, 2019
I honestly appreciate this piece of advice. But how do I know the one above is a diesel/petrol or 4/6 plug? What series is the car?

Respect boss!

I have not been a able to ask the owner Cox he has not told me directly of the gift.

nurey:

Buy it, you would enjoy every drive in it.

The freelander is a no go area for the petrol Engine be it 4cylinder or 6cylinder, the Rover k series engine are the most grossly engineered piece of crap.

The diesel case is different with the BMW manufactured engine or the Rover diesel, you are covered. The manual transmission would ensure the vehicle last you till you grow old.

I dropped this info because you have a diesel engine don't let anybody coerce you into ever switching to petrol Engine cause that would be the beginning of the end.
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by nurey(m): 3:16pm On Aug 13, 2019
Growingboi:
I honestly appreciate this piece of advice. But how do I know the one above is a diesel/petrol or 4/6 plug? What series is the car?

Respect boss!

I have not been a able to ask the owner Cox he has not told me directly of the gift.

If you look at the rear pix you posted, your trim is Td4 that means you have a BMW m47 2.0L diesel engine in that vehicle, I am not sure whether it's a 4x4 but if it is, then you have an advantage in the off-road segment and your fuel consumption would be great.

Your next line of action should be how to take care of a diesel engine, you can also research the M47 engine, it's likes and what to watch out for.

find 9icetoo/ivoryhouse for how to use a diesel car in Nigeria

find Denn an expert in BMW and it's engines maybe he has come across the M47 Engine before.

3 Likes

Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by weyreypey: 3:30pm On Aug 13, 2019
Growingboi:

Save your money and look elsewhere.

Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by Growingboi(m): 4:43pm On Aug 13, 2019
Your own advice please. I can't really decode the angle you are coming from.

weyreypey:

Save your money and look elsewhere.
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by Growingboi(m): 4:43pm On Aug 13, 2019
A million thanks personal person

nurey:

If you look at the rear pix you posted, your trim is Td4 that means you have a BMW m47 2.0L diesel engine in that vehicle, I am not sure whether it's a 4x4 but if it is, then you have an advantage in the off-road segment and your fuel consumption would be great.

Your next line of action should be how to take care of a diesel engine, you can also research the M47 engine, it's likes and what to watch out for.

find Denn an expert in BMW and it's engines maybe he has come across the M47 Engine before.
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by Jamesbally: 5:00pm On Aug 13, 2019
Growingboi:

Bad choice Bro. This Car is not reliable at all. How many did you see on our Roads? They are all abandoned by their owners at different Mechanic workshops.

1 Like

Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by Lexusgs430: 5:11pm On Aug 13, 2019
Growingboi:

Be prepared for loads of overheating days, breaking down would surely be your hubby...............

1 Like

Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by ngadaAwo: 5:36pm On Aug 13, 2019
[s]
Jamesbally:

Bad choice Bro. This Car is not reliable at all. How many did you see on our Roads? They are all abandoned by their owners at different Mechanic workshops.
[/s]
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by nurey(m): 7:05pm On Aug 13, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Be prepared for loads of overheating days, breaking down would surely be your hubby...............

Certainly not the diesel Engines fitted ones
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by weyreypey: 7:31pm On Aug 13, 2019
you are very wicked...

nurey:

Certainly not the diesel Engines fitted ones
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by nurey(m): 7:33pm On Aug 13, 2019
weyreypey:
you are very wicked...
not as wicked as you

2 Likes

Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by weyreypey: 8:23pm On Aug 13, 2019
nurey:

not as wicked as you

where do I start from?
you recommending a peugeot to a first time car owner?
recommending a some jatijati nissan or to this thread where you advocate for a car that left the factory with over 200 known faults?!!

Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by Denn(m): 6:14am On Aug 14, 2019
nurey:

The diesel engines were of two types and the one in your car is the M47R which was an adaptation of the BMW M47D20.

The M47D20 on its own and in BMW applications was reliable. In the BMW, it was mounted longitudinally (like all BMWs)

However during modification by landrover, they made it transverse and changed the injection to common rail.

Common rail injection depends on very high pressures to injection the diesel. High pressures lead to heat... Now engine is transverse... Plus it has a turbocharger.

Your main concern would be overheating.

Always ensure your cooling system is in top condition and buy diesel from the filling stations with reputation like Mobil, forte, etc

If i were you however, I would ask the giver to sell the car, i would not mind adding 1000 euros of my own money and sending to get a different car like a Mercedes ML or a BMW X5.

Your shipping and clearing costs would be similar to those cars I mentioned and the value would have gone way higher.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by obekediamondfuto(m): 7:00am On Aug 14, 2019
Denn:

The diesel engines were of two types and the one in your car is the M47R which was an adaptation of the BMW M47D20.

The M47D20 on its own and in BMW applications was reliable. In the BMW, it was mounted longitudinally (like all BMWs)

However during modification by landrover, they made it transverse and changed the injection to common rail.

Common rail injection depends on very high pressures to injection the diesel. High pressures lead to heat... Now engine is transverse... Plus it has a turbocharger.

Your main concern would be overheating.

Always ensure your cooling system is in top condition and buy diesel from the filling stations with reputation like Mobil, forte, etc

If i were you however, I would ask the giver to sell the car, i would not mind adding 1000 euros of my own money and sending to get a different car like a Mercedes ML or a BMW X5.

Your shipping and clearing costs would be similar to those cars I mentioned and the value would have gone way higher.

Cheers

splendid analysis

1 Like

Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by sacramento1212: 10:41am On Aug 14, 2019
Growingboi:

Save your money and consider another brand/model. This freelander isn't reliable at all. A close colleague bought it and experienced hell and at the end sold it out for #350K due to the series of frustration he experienced. It's one problem today and another tomorrow.

The final decision lies on you.
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by kingreign(m): 10:52am On Aug 14, 2019
A perfect classic example of when devil sleeping, you carry toothpick go dey prick him in the arse.
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by diehard1: 11:34am On Aug 14, 2019
The petrol version is evil, the one you have there has a BMW diesel engine. It's reliable and fuel economical ,but issue is how do you maintain it here. Mechanics for diesel car are not readily available like petrol versions. It doesn't make sense buying a car you may not be able to maintain or maybe implant another car manufacturer engine.
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by Lexusgs430: 12:02pm On Aug 14, 2019
diehard1:
The petrol version is evil, the one you have there has a BMW diesel engine. It's reliable and fuel economical ,but issue is how do you maintain it here. Mechanics for diesel car are not readily available like petrol versions. It doesn't make sense buying a car you may not be able to maintain or maybe implant another car manufacturer engine.

Dig through thread.... Someone adapted a Toyota Camry engine, into this freelander.........

The person no gree show again, maybe that Toyolander is now RIP..........
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:19pm On Aug 14, 2019
no vehicle is evil, all it takes is the right maintenance culture
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by kingreign(m): 1:23pm On Aug 14, 2019
obekediamondfuto:

Baba, no talk so o. I no pray makeyou experience any evil contraption concocted by an engineer in the name of manufacturing a car.
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by diehard1: 1:55pm On Aug 14, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Dig through thread.... Someone adapted a Toyota Camry engine, into this freelander.........

I'm not in favour of such. I'm only telling him what he'll likely see if he gets it. Bad choice.
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by diehard1: 2:00pm On Aug 14, 2019
The petrol version is not what you want to own. You can read up reliability of the petrol K series engine that was used for the petrol version if you have not owned the vehicle and i'm speaking of running it in europe.
obekediamondfuto:
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by nurey(m): 2:01pm On Aug 14, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Yes the Rover petrol not even Rover all cars using Rover K Engine of that year is definitely fu.cked in the ass grin but definitely not a Td4 trim

https://www.nairaland.com/989339/land-rover-freelander
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by obekediamondfuto(m): 2:01pm On Aug 14, 2019
kingreign:

Baba, no talk so o. I no pray makeyou experience any evil contraption concocted by an engineer in the name of manufacturing a car.

my brother....
God is with me.....
grin
Re: Advise On This Land Rover Freelander (picture)!!! by obekediamondfuto(m): 2:05pm On Aug 14, 2019
diehard1:
The petrol version is not what you want to own. You can read up reliability of the petrol K series engine that was used for the petrol version if you have not owned the vehicle and i'm speaking of running it in europe.

so u mean, there are some vehicles that have issues that perfect maintenance culture cannot solve?

grin
grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

2004 And 2005 Toyota Corolla / 230,000 Miles And Still Going Strong / Where Can I Get Pentosin Chf11s Power Steering Fluid.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.