Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,114 members, 7,818,320 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General (9423 Views)

Police VGS QERRS To Tackle Crimes In Nigeria / Newly Inaugurated Benue Security Corps Show How They Would Tackle Crime(pic/vid) / Combat Crime With CCTV Cameras (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by udomoh(m): 7:29am On Aug 16, 2019
Lagos set to tackle crime with Forensic DNA Analysis

The Lagos State Government has disclosed that plans are ongoing to equip its Forensic Centre with Chemistry and Toxicology units to strengthen criminal investigations.

The Solicitor-General / Permanent Secretary in the State Ministry of Justice, Mrs. Funlola Odunlami, who made the disclosure at the 4th Lagos Forensic Symposium at Civic Centre, Victoria Island, Lagos, opined that the unit would commence operations by 2020 to help the government uncover illegal use of controlled substances and drugs in the State.

“The inclusion of the forensic chemistry and toxicology checks will enhance criminal investigations in the State and also speed up the identification and conviction of perpetrators of cases related to intake of poisonous and harmful substances in the body”, Odulami said.

She added that the Lagos State DNA and Forensic Centre located at Odunlami area of Lagos Island has played a significant role in investigating over 100 cases of deaths, identification of exhumed human remains, rape and burglary since the commencement of operations in 2017.
The Lagos State Solicitor-General further noted that the forensic centre has also investigated about 300 cases of paternity and other heredity related issues, stressing that Nigeria has finally joined the international community’s efforts in applying scientific methods to prosecution, defence, law enforcement, criminal investigations, national security and disaster management.
Odunlami explained that the symposium was aimed at providing the public with information on the role of forensic science in criminal investigation and its importance to law enforcement agencies and the judiciary on mass fatalities, sexual assault, and other issues.

Also speaking at the event, Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Zubairu Muazu said the introduction of forensic science has helped in utilising Criminal Speciality Law in investigating criminal identities and exonerate the innocent persons.

Muazu, represented by the Deputy Commissioner of Police Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, CIID, Mrs. Yetunde Alonge, said investment in forensic investigation shows the visionary leadership of the Lagos State Government and urged the participants to tap into the wealth of knowledge of the professionals at the symposium.
In his remarks, the Director, Lagos State DNA & Forensic Centre, Dr. Richard Somiari, disclosed that Lagos State DNA and Forensic Laboratory is the only one accredited for Forensic DNA analysis in

Nigeria, adding that the database accelerates the process of identifying victims of crimes, linking crimes to one another and also identifying serial offenders.

While commending the Lagos Police Command for its collaborative efforts with the State Forensic Centre, Somiari said forensic services are also available to NGOs, law enforcement agencies, prosecutors and other members of the public.

Participants at the 4th Forensic Symposium included Judges, Magistrates, Lawyers, Legislators, Police, Immigration, Customs, Investigators, Forensic Pathologists/Scientists, Medical practitioners, Emergency Responders, Fire Brigade, Investigative Journalists, Students and the Press.
Recall that the Forensic Centre was established by the Lagos State government in 2017 to aid criminal investigation through DNA analysis.

https://nimedhealth.com.ng/2019/08/15/lagos-to-tackle-crime-with-forensic-dna-analysis-solicitor-general/?amp

5 Likes

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Officialgarri: 7:33am On Aug 16, 2019
Lagos is always developing, what happened to the country's capital?

A good development, but I'd rather do a DNA test (if they also carry out child DNA activities, I mean) in a country where I'm sure the doctors cannot accept bribe.

Especially after I squeezed some Naira notes into an health technician's hand to help change my blood group from AA to SS so that Nkechi can let me go... undecided

16 Likes

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by dominique(f): 12:59pm On Aug 18, 2019
And how do they intend to get a database?

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by EASY1005: 12:59pm On Aug 18, 2019
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by iCauseTrouble: 12:59pm On Aug 18, 2019
I guess this is Invictus Obi Motivated

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Jayslicky: 12:59pm On Aug 18, 2019
It's a very good development that will uncover many hidden truths about mysterious deaths and suicides that were really homicides, it will also help in finding out of serial killers.

Lagos State should be the capital of Nigeria they are always miles ahead of other states.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Onyekachi419(f): 1:00pm On Aug 18, 2019
Tackle crime in Nigeria grin
I hear you

8 Likes

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by willexyaho(m): 1:00pm On Aug 18, 2019
OK.

Happy Sunday
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by mmsen: 1:01pm On Aug 18, 2019
I hope it will be used to uncover real crimes and not wasted on the pointless 'drugs war'.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Uqan: 1:01pm On Aug 18, 2019
grin
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by realstars: 1:01pm On Aug 18, 2019
The truth is that, one day all man will be given secret micro numbers to monitor all mans activities

The end time is here, soon the world will be free from all this rubbish we are seeing today.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by mytime24(f): 1:01pm On Aug 18, 2019
Story
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Authority1o1(m): 1:01pm On Aug 18, 2019
Did I hear someone say forensics and toxicology?

You think this would tackle the upsurging insecurity in the country?

I'm not being pessimistic but for that to deliver a topnotch success in fighting crime,a state must have a database of all its citizen's biometrics.

The one they have now would just be useful when you have the criminals in your custody.

But I trust my nigerian police.when one ahmed wey no finish grade six handle am,e go turn from forensics institute to RUGAsic institute.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Bossontop(m): 1:01pm On Aug 18, 2019
dominique:

undecided
I'm also wondering ma.....we like dey move faster dan awa shadow for dis naija instead of doing first things first

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by temmypotter(m): 1:03pm On Aug 18, 2019
mmsen:
I hope it will be used to uncover real crimes and not wasted on the pointless 'drug war'.

Drug dealing is not a real crime?

How insightful!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by eneyoduke(m): 1:04pm On Aug 18, 2019
Please if its not Ekweremadu's story, then leave it for another week.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Angelfrost(m): 1:04pm On Aug 18, 2019
dominique:

Good question... That's supposed to be the first thing... Will they collect the DNA and the machine will magically conjure up the offender?...

Another white elephant project to steal taxpayers' money. tongue

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by mmsen: 1:04pm On Aug 18, 2019
temmypotter:

Drug dealing is not a real crime?

How insightful!

No worse than selling alcohol or peddling religion.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Abfinest007(m): 1:04pm On Aug 18, 2019
this is not the kind of news I want to hear
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by Grandlord: 1:06pm On Aug 18, 2019
What's the capacity of your database? How secured and effective is it?

Do you even have a functional database in the first place?
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by temmypotter(m): 1:06pm On Aug 18, 2019
mmsen:

No worse than selling alcohol or peddling religion.

You must be shitting me bro, there's a reason why drug usage is controlled. Drug abuse more often than not kick-starts series of events that births even more crime very quickly

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by itsme01: 1:06pm On Aug 18, 2019
cool

Different News from different regions,

some leaders are in the news for breaking new grounds in governance while some are busy stealing and acting like savages and babarians in foreign land

2023 the South shall decide whether to vote for some babarians tearing each other down and fighting shamelessly or the sophisticated progressives who are known omoluabi worldwide, with their daughter been nominated as a minister in UK

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by BrokenCock: 1:07pm On Aug 18, 2019
Lagos is always ahead of the entire Nigeria! Everytime a western man rules the country, we also see a difference unlike these ancient Fulani men
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by mmsen: 1:11pm On Aug 18, 2019
temmypotter:

Yu must be shutting me

Alcohol is more harmful than most so called 'drugs'.

And religion has caused more suffering than marijuana.
Re: Lagos To Tackle Crime With Forensic DNA Analysis – Solicitor General by chigo5(m): 1:11pm On Aug 18, 2019
waste of money without citizens data in it

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kano Police Arrest Man Over Colleague’s Death / Man Arraigned For Duping Girlfriend Of N400,000 / Rev King's Death Sentence Appeal Suffers Setback

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.