Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

Is This Marketing Job Worth It? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is This Marketing Job Worth It? (2012 Views)

Is Your Job Worth The Stress? / I Want To Leave My Job Worth Of #50k For My Education......please, Advice / NIIT: Are They Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by eraymond(m): 10:46am On May 15, 2007
I Need An Advise To Know Whether Taking Up The Job Worth It

I got a job with Rolex securities as a marketing executive but was given a target of 30 million naira worth of shares in the first month and 15 million naira in the second month after which I will be confirmed.

At the first month, 15 million naira will be from their private placement and firm is a new firm, just about 2 years. Another condition attached to it is that I must make up to 50% at the first month. If i should make up to 50%, my salary will be porated and if i don't make up to 50%, i will not get anything out of the salary.

I have a banker friend who discouraged me, telling me that I will end up suffering myself because the time involved is too short.
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by Seun(m): 10:56am On May 15, 2007
1) I don't understand what you mean by "porated" in: "If i should make up to 50%, my salary will be porated".
2) How much are they paying you for 30 million naira in sales? If you can raise that much, it must be millions!
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by DisGuy: 12:23pm On May 15, 2007
You could do it as work experience, just try make some targets then put it in your CV that you worked with Rolex and made XX millions in the two months. Make sure you bail after the two months except they have a better contract for you.

Naija hard o!
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by 2dye4(m): 4:27pm On May 15, 2007
@eraymond: Welcome to the World of Marketing. I dont intend to scare you but its no tea party.

Things to consider:

1. is this line ur passion or ur jst browsing?
2. Is the "Target" realistic to u or its just 2 overwhelming?
3. are there facilities in place to help aid the job(i.e pool car, phone etc)?
4.  do you have leads u can follow or ur entirely clueless as to how to go about it?
5.  what is the pay structure (Salary, commission etc)
6. is this your first job offer ever?

Now bros,

if this is not ur interest, don't bother cos there will be no drive and u will out @ d slightest pressure

if the target scares the hell out of you, you wont even appreciate d gentle breakthru's u make

if the are no faclities, my brother, it is SUFFER HEAD.

if ur human network is not all that, then be prepared to "cold call" (success rate:3/10)

if this is your first offer and u r not into it (MARKETING), then dnt bother using it as work experience cos it will influence all other opportunities you get.

Think about if carefully cos anything worse than having nothing (a job) is having what u dnt want.

trust me, cos am speaking from experience! wink
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by deejay1(m): 4:46pm On May 15, 2007
if i was da one yea i will take up da job,the target may be hard to meet but I know i can do it and i believe ur reward is gatta 2 worth the work I put in. marketing is gettin huge not . if this is ur passion and u believe u can do it (realistically thou not daydreaming) get in there oo just as i was ganna say da tins 2 consider some 2dye4 said it all
1. is this line your passion or your jst browsing?
4. do you have leads u can follow or your entirely clueless as to how to go about it?
5. what is the pay structure (Salary, commission etc)
i wont bother takin it for/as 4 a work experience @ all if its not ur tin.but if its ur tin as in if its wat u gatta passion 4 or if u did sometin 2 do wit business, get ur CV in there and try ur luck.wit the issue of if u dont make the target that they wont give u anytin,hmm i know thats a big issue innit but if i was the one, i will take up the chance if i was given . u learn from ur mistakes so that if that kinda of chance comes ur way agaiin , u will know how 2 deal wit it. good luck
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by dakmanzero(m): 4:47pm On May 15, 2007
@Seun

1) if I prorate your salary it means I pay you a portion of it. a salary of 100,000 prorated to 88% is 88,000. If he makes above 50% of his target it will be used as a modifier to pay him  a percentage. In other words, he is being ripped off.

2) Whatever they are paying him will be peanuts compared. Its a securities firm, not a bank. They are known to gouge their employees.

@eraymond:

It seems like a daunting task- I wont say its impossible, but it seriously looks like these people are giving you some crazy targets. The pay had better be worth it. Also will rolex securities look good on your CV, and I hope it isnt a one man company.
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by monshege: 7:21pm On May 15, 2007
@ poster,
I have friends who are complaining about this same issue of ultimatum in a new job. At the end of the day, if you dont meet up to the expectations, they fire you, that sure is one crazy employment pitch. it sounds undoable my dear, but only you know yourself. it can be difficult, but it is not impossible. good luck
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by Mayflower2(f): 9:57pm On May 15, 2007
Is it porated or pro-rated?
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by spoilt(f): 4:05am On May 16, 2007
May_flower:

Is it porated or pro-rated?

you no well. grin

anyway most of these marketing jobs are pure anguish. impossible targets and all. but you can start with that but keep looking for a better job.
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by cream2(m): 11:45am On May 16, 2007
its actually pro-rata which means in proportion, according to a factor that can be calculated exactly.
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by enolase(m): 2:46pm On May 16, 2007
Eraymond My brother,

You need to discover some truths.

The owners of this firm (who have spent money to set it up) want to recoup their investments badly. Don't forget they have about 19 months to raise =N=1billion or else they have to close shop. (I am assuming they are a stockbroking firm).

They will surely drive you like slavemasters, and will look for the slightest opoortunity to deny you your salaries. (salaries constitute the largest chunk of administrative costs in any establishment).

My advice to you is this:

If you want to work there, you have to lay by their rules. The conditions are pretty difficult.

2nd Option: You can simply quit and get yourself another job.

3rd Option: Start your own business. There are several of them you can start, if you are prepared to equip yourself adequately to handle them. You can go into stock or forex trading.

You know why I like Forex Trading and Stock Trading? You do not have to do any physical work. You simply let your money and your analytical skill do the job for you.

I personally make more from stock trading and internet marketing than I do from the course I spent six years (plus extra 2 years from ASUU strikes) to study.

Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Michael Dell, Mittal, Carlos Slim, Jimoh Ibrahim, Aliko Dangote, Tony Elumelu et al do not have two heads, neither were they born with silver spoons in their mouths.

Did I mention Tony Elumelu? Great example!

How many people know that this guy who now sits atop arguably Nigeria's largest bank was a bank employee who was sacked from his job during a staff rationalisation? shocked

He had an idea, spoke to some of the high networth clients he got to know via marketing, and convinced them to finance it. That's how he bought over Crystal bank to start STB. Then he got low income earners like students, market women, etc to bring their penny money to open accounts with just =N=1,000.

Before you know it, STB had large amounts in depositors' funds to trade with, and he simply went into the businesses banks do for money (u need to read the home page of http://www.nairastocks.com).

Slowly and quietly, he built a financial empire that was enough to buy off Hakeem Bello-Osagie's stake in UBA, and VIOLA;

HERE HE IS TODAY AS MD/CEO OF UBA PLC.  

This post should encourage you. You can be anything you want to be. You only have to look inwards and discover some things about yourself that will catapult you to the top.

Cheers my brother! wink
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by Nobody: 3:09pm On May 16, 2007
*mission impossible theme*

good morning mr eraymond

your mission whether you choose to accept it,or not(we´ve hired you, after all)
is to raise the sum of 30million naira within 1 month.

use absolutely any means necessary. (you can sell your mother, hire out your wife, blackmail .  .  .)

should you fail to meet the target within the set deadline, your services will no longer be required

in the event that you meet the target, we will immediately set a larger target of 40-60 million naira(within a forthnight)

and as always, Rolex will disavow all knowledge of you or your operations in the event that EFCC comes after you.

this memo will self immolate in .  .  . forget it, just stop reading this memo, and start hunting down that money!

good luck!
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by ibkn(m): 6:26pm On May 17, 2007
@ eraymond
am helping my guy recruit an it marketer who can meet targets. mail me with your cv on iorekoya@hotmail.com
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by DisGuy: 6:48pm On May 17, 2007
Do Nigeria companies train new employees at all? It seems they just want you to come in and know the whole process the same day.
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by sorofigh: 6:15pm On May 18, 2007
2dye4:

@eraymond: Welcome to the World of Marketing. I don't intend to scare you but its no tea party.

Things to consider:

1. is this line your passion or your jst browsing?
4. do you have leads u can follow or your entirely clueless as to how to go about it?
5. what is the pay structure (Salary, commission etc)

Now bros,

if this is not your interest, don't bother because there will be no drive and u will out @ d slightest pressure

if the target scares the hell out of you, you wont even appreciate d gentle breakthru's u make

if the are no faclities, my brother, it is SUFFER HEAD.

if your human network is not all that, then be prepared to "cold call" (success rate:3/10)

if this is your first offer and you're not into it (MARKETING), then dnt bother using it as work experience because it will influence all other opportunities you get.

Think about if carefully because anything worse than having nothing (a job) is having what u dnt want.

trust me, because am speaking from experience! wink

really appreciated this. useful as i'm sort of in the same shoes currently. got a job as a marketer in a web hosting/designer/graphics firm. applied for the job for the fun of it (you know the way job seekers throw their CV left, right, center). i'm fresh no previous experience what so ever and i think i prefer "group marketing", hate going solo. anyways went for the interview and as a sharp guy i really impressed and was offered the job, starting salary 18k. but the problem is i'm got almost no passion for the job. i think i'll turn it down, what do you think?
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by Douzy(m): 8:26pm On May 18, 2007
You already said it:
No passion.
Plus, 18k is not worth a wasting your time on a job you have no passion for.
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by arianne(f): 3:29pm On May 19, 2007
Douzy:

You already said it:
No passion.
Plus, 18k is not worth a wasting your time on a job you have no passion for.

you said it all. 18k for what? i understand that Sales/Marketing comes under the B.D unit, u will be responsible for bring business and inflows for the company and all u get is 18k?
That's crap? (especially for a job u'd practically push urself to do since its not ur passion)
let it pass. u'd get something better.
Re: Is This Marketing Job Worth It? by pewekac: 10:13pm On Sep 15, 2007
e be like say na only marketing jobs dey for fresh graduates for naija sad. we might as well start climbing poles (dollar dollar bill style-Wyclef,Wayne,Akon)

(1) (Reply)

What's The Next Step After Graduation? / A Great Business Career For You / Modified

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.