Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,884 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) (28897 Views)

Makeup Artist Turns Herself To Fela Kuti, Obama, Tupac, Snoop Dogg, Pete Edochie / Diary Of A Boredom-inspired Photographer / Ben Enwonwu’s Missing Painting, Tutu, Found In London Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by GisterBlogger: 9:24pm On Aug 17, 2019
19 year-old Nigerian artist, Emediong Uduak Ikoko has unveiled a Fela-inspired painting to celebrate the strength of Nigerians.

In May, her painting of music legend, ‘Lagbaja’ has become the first African work to be displayed at the Cyprus Modern Art Museum.

Emediong is also the youngest artist and only African to have her work exhibited at the museum, which is the largest in the Mediterranean region.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Emediong unveiled the painting at an auction of 17 of her artworks held in Abuja on Saturday.

The painting titled ‘Bush Babies/Shuffering and Smiling’ is aptly named after a Fela Anikulapo-Kuti album with the same title.

In 1980, musical activist and the father of Afrobeat, Fela chronicled the state of Nigeria and the resilience of the people in the award-winning album.

Sharing the same sentiments as Fela, Emediong said she was inspired to paint the work because the phrase was still relevant in present day Nigeria.

She said, “It represents the resilience of Nigerians. Despite the suffering, Nigerians find joy in music and arts. This painting to Nigerians and our strength as a people.”

NAN reports that Emediong also unveiled a painting titled ‘Ekpe’ that featured a masquerade relative to Akwa Ibom, her home state which drew applause from the crowd.

Also in the masquerade series was the painting of the ‘Ijele’ masquerade, generally regarded as the father of masquerades among the Igbo ethnic group.

She also unveiled ‘Fourth Man in the Fire’ based on the biblical Nebuchadnezzar story, ‘Whistling Boy’ enacting the Nigerian folktale and ‘When the Gods Roam’ based on the ‘Eyo’ masquerade.

Speaking earlier with NAN, Emediong said she draws her inspiration from music, experiences, stories and other creative people.

She also urged the Nigerian government to pay attention to the creative industry as it is a platform to help the nation’s image.

She advised creatives to continually search for opportunities that can push their works.

Emediong said, “I feel that the government should pay more attention to the Nigerian creative space because there is so much talent that is hidden in this country.

“The government and other stakeholders should actually pay more attention to the Nigerian creative scene. That push is all the scene needs.

“Creatives should connect. You don’t know who you meet. You don’t know what you create with the people you meet. Everyone has where they are going to and coming from.

“I feel that most creatives should learn how to create networks. They should reach out for opportunities as opportunities won’t come to meet you. You have to reach out to them,” she said.

Also speaking, the chairman of the auction, Dr Solomon Arase, Former Inspector General of Police said that parents should encourage their children to pursue arts and skills.

According to him, artistry and other careers in the creative industry can help curb insecurity as young people will be engaged and find lesser time to commit crime.

He also called on the government to extend its focus to the creative industry by improving the opportunities available to young people in the industry.

See more photos here; http://gistmore.com/19-year-old-nigerian-artist-unveils-fela-inspired-painting

2 Likes

Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by blesskewe(f): 9:47pm On Aug 17, 2019
Them no go see this one ooooooooooo
Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by Bluezy13(m): 5:21am On Aug 18, 2019
She did well, But...

The youths always deriving pleasure in painting their ancestors, instead of painting the future.
That's why this country is not moving forward.

Always referencing ancient icons in a bid to show respect, recognition and pass a message, the youths ignorantly end up restricting their aspirations, creativity and problem solving mentality regarding the future.

For example, any sane fellow will agree with me that if this girl had imagined and painted an unraveled technological piece that can be achieved in the nearest future, she might be innocently motivating someone somewhere to realize it or maybe accentuate someone's creative ability for the betterment of the future.

Think the future and one will think progress.
Think the future and insights such as technological and economical advancement will finds Its way to the society.
That's the reason third world countries are developing at a faster rate. They don't settle for the past, but the future.
I'm not discrediting her painting but I think
It is high time we desisted from celebrating the past and focus on the future.

A man's situation is a function of his mindset.
"A man is largely what he thinks himself to be" says a wise man.

44 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by BOOOMNAIJA: 3:29pm On Aug 18, 2019
This is a true definition of hardwork....not some pple doing an Invictus obi on us and claiming they av legit wealth.
Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by gabazin080(m): 3:29pm On Aug 18, 2019
nice one

When you build a house let your wife decorate the ceiling, she has seen more ceiling designs than you.. Am I communicating?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by gabazin080(m): 3:29pm On Aug 18, 2019
You will think you know colours until you receive a wedding invitation. They will be like , colours of the day: Horse balls black with a touch of mosquito kidney blue �

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by Aldebaran(m): 3:30pm On Aug 18, 2019
Nice
Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by gabazin080(m): 3:30pm On Aug 18, 2019
Yesterday I withdrew 20k from my bank account just to feel like a big man .. I went to one corner in my room. Put on the music and was dancing and spraying the money and up till now I can't find 2k my chest is doing me somehow now

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by foolbuster: 3:30pm On Aug 18, 2019
You people should stop making money off this legend and heed his teachings. angry
Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by LadyD91: 3:30pm On Aug 18, 2019
Nice one
Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by yinkus6750(m): 3:31pm On Aug 18, 2019
Good job.
Paintings and artworks are used as messages of inspiration.
We all knew what Fela stood for- good governance, fairness, equity, justice etc
In as much as we not yet there, let's continue to keep the messages alive.

3 Likes

Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by BOOOMNAIJA: 3:32pm On Aug 18, 2019
T
Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by Thisis2raw(m): 3:33pm On Aug 18, 2019
At the end of it all, his president will still call him a lazy youth.

Thumbs up bro
Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by landforeast(m): 3:33pm On Aug 18, 2019
Sorry Buhari does not understand what Creative Industry is the only Language he understands is "Cattle" "Cow" "Grass" and "Ruga". Infact if you want to enjoy the full benefit of his administration, turn to Cattle. Lease my dear talented Youngy please Check out your State Government for help abeg.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by iwantolive: 3:34pm On Aug 18, 2019
God bless you.we need people with lucid mind like you in this country.
Bluezy13:
She did well, But...

The youths always deriving pleasure in painting their ancestors, instead of painting the future.

Always referencing ancient icons in a bid to show respect, recognition and pass a message, the youths ignorantly end up restricting their aspirations, creativity and problem solving mentality regarding the future.

For example, any sane fellow will agree with me that if this girl had imagined and painted an unraveled technological piece that can be achieved in the nearest future, she might be innocently motivating someone somewhere to realize it or maybe accentuate someone's creative ability for the betterment of the future.

Think the future and insights such as technological and economical advancement will finds Its way to the society.
That's the reason third world countries are developing at a faster rate. They don't settle for the past, but the future.
It is high time we desist from celebrating the past and focus on the future.

Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by GdexFolami(m): 3:35pm On Aug 18, 2019
Where’s the painting?
Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by Mummymahdi(f): 3:36pm On Aug 18, 2019
gabazin080:
nice one

When you build a house let your wife decorate the ceiling, she has seen more ceiling designs than you.. Am I communicating?

u already have the believe this is the kind of woman u will have as a wife abi?

3 Likes

Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by lomprico(m): 3:40pm On Aug 18, 2019
blesskewe:
Them no go see this one ooooooooooo

who?

1 Like

Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 18, 2019
gabazin080:
Yesterday I withdrew 20k from my bank account just to feel like a big man .. I went to one corner in my room. Put on the music and was dancing and spraying the money and up till now I can't find 2k my chest is doing me somehow now
Check under ur bed
Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by QuietHammer(m): 3:48pm On Aug 18, 2019
Why tell us his age?
Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by sylve11: 4:00pm On Aug 18, 2019
Bluezy13:
She did well, But...

well said.... cool
Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by TerryMcGinis(m): 4:06pm On Aug 18, 2019
gabazin080:
grin grin grin rats wey soji don carry am go spend.

2 Likes

Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by Neddyogu(m): 4:18pm On Aug 18, 2019
gabazin080:
nice one

Especially bedroom ceiling! U nor well at alllll
Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by Rapmoney(m): 4:19pm On Aug 18, 2019
browse334:
Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand!
Accept Jesus today that He is very near to you
Tomorrow may be too late!!!
Youths in other climes are breaking grounds in science and technology but you are here recycling this stale piece!
Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by Legendguru: 4:26pm On Aug 18, 2019
hmmm
Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by skukimania(f): 4:27pm On Aug 18, 2019
Bluezy13:
She did well, But...

Could you please show us the future you have painted? I just want to see something. I mean, it's not a bad thing if you set the pace. Your painting of the future can inspire others too you know.

3 Likes

Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by skukimania(f): 4:30pm On Aug 18, 2019
gabazin080:
You will think you know colours until you receive a wedding invitation. They will be like , colours of the day: Horse balls black with a touch of mosquito kidney blue �

Lol! More like chocolate blue or lemon white cheesy

1 Like

Re: Emediong Uduak Ikoko Unveils Fela Inspired Painting (photos) by skukimania(f): 4:35pm On Aug 18, 2019
dancok:
Check under ur bed

Spraying the money on who? Perhaps he/she has the answer.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairaland Ads: 2nd Banner Design Contest / See Creative Things Art Students Did With Water Melon / 3d Animation For Ambode APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.