Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,618 members, 7,813,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

Not Really Contradictions - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Not Really Contradictions (1059 Views)

Contradictions Analyzed:bible And Quran. / Great Bible Contradictions / Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Not Really Contradictions by babs787(m): 3:04pm On May 15, 2007
I need explanation on the verses below

1. has anybody ascended to heaven?

a. john 3 v 13: no one has ascended into heaven but he who descended from heaven, the son of man.

b. 2nd kings 2 v 11: and as they still went on and talked, behold, a chariot of fire and horses of fire separated the two of them. And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

2. who’s son is Joseph?

a. Mathew 1 v 16: and Jacob the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom Jesus was born, who is called Christ.

b . Luke 3 v 23: Jesus when he began his ministry, was about thirty years of age, being the son (as was supposed) of Joseph, the son of Heli.

i.how many did David kill
ii. was it 40,000 horsemen or footsoldiers?
iii. what is the name of their commander?

a. 2nd sam 10 v 18: and the Syrians fled before Israel and David slew of the Syrians the men of 700 chariots and 40,000 horsemen and wounded Shobach the commander of their army so that he died there.

b. 1st chronicle 19 v 18: and the Syrians fled before Israel and David slew of the Syrians the men of 7000 chariots and 40,000 foot soldiers and killed also Shopach the commander of their army.

4. has anybody seen God?

a. john 1 v 18: no one has ever seen God, only son, who is in the bssom of the father, he has made him known.

b. 1st timothy 6 v 16: who alone has immortality and dwells in unaspproachable light, whom no man has ever seen or can see.

c. Exodus 33 v 20: and he (God) said, ‘thou canot see my face for there shall no man see me and live

d. Exodus 33 v 11: and the Lord spake unto Moses face to facwe, as a man speaketh unto his friend.

e. Genesis 32 v 30: and Jacob called the name of the place Pencel, for I have seen God face to face and my life is preserved.

And as a special favour, God shows his back parts to Moses

Exodus 33 v 23: and I (God) will take away my hands and thou shalt see my bark parts….
Re: Not Really Contradictions by Gwaine(m): 9:56pm On May 15, 2007
@babs787,

babs787:

1. has anybody ascended to heaven?

a. john 3 v 13: no one has ascended into heaven but he who descended from heaven, the son of man.

b. 2nd kings 2 v 11: and as they still went on and talked, behold, a chariot of fire and horses of fire separated the two of them. And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

The context of John 3:13 is not to be detarched from the preceding verses, and reading from vs. 11:

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen;
and ye receive not our witness. If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how
shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? And no man hath ascended up to heaven,
but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven

Notice Jesus was speaking to Nicodemus, "a master of Israel" (vs.9-10) who should quite have understood the import of Jesus' words. As far as the divine oracles were concerned as unveiling the "heavenly things" in contrast to "earthly things", no one in history was known to have ascended into heaven. It does not mean that Jesus was not aware of the case with Enoch (Gen. 5:24 & Heb. 11:5), or of Elijah (II Kings 2:1 & 11). The import of Jesus' words were in reference to ascending into heaven to bring down the divine revelation for the God's mysteries.

Any Jew listening to Jesus when He spoke those words in John 3:11-13 would immediately remember what Moses said centuries earlier:

For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee,
neither is it far off
. It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for
us to heaven
, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? Neither is it beyond
the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us,
that we may hear it, and do it? -- Deut. 30:11-13

This is precisely what the Lord Jesus was making reference to when he spoke to Nicodemus. No one had ascended into heaven to bring down the divine oracles. What this means is conveyed clearly in Romans 10:

But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart,
Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above: )
Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
-- (Rom. 10:6-7)

The context here is very clear from the meaning and significance of the fact that Jesus was speaking to a Jewish scholar (Nicodemus), and the Jews no doubt would have known the meaning of Deut. 30:11-13, and the import of those words explained in Rom. 10:6-7. Besides, that this thought is not something new in the NT, we turn to Prov. 30 --

I neither learned wisdom, nor have the knowledge of the holy. Who hath ascended up into heaven,
or descended? who hath gathered the wind in his fists? who hath bound the waters in a garment?
who hath established all the ends of the earth? what is his name, and what is his son's name,
if thou canst tell? Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar. -- Prov. 30:3-6

From the above, two things stand out clearly: (a) the OT patriarchs understood that the knowledge of the holy was yet uncommitted to man; (b) they knew there was Someone called the Son of God ('what is his son's name').

Many Bible commentators make the mistake of taking Jesus' words in John 3:13 as pointing to His ascension after He would rise from the dead. But that is a weak premise, because the preceding contexts do not bear it out in precisely that context. Rather, Jesus made the statement about the ascension immediately following His words contrasting earthly and heavenly things. Nicodemus' surprised reaction as well indicates that what he heard from Jesus was entirely outstanding.

So, what "new" thing was it that was so heavenly to have astonished Nicodemus? The very same thing that has been preached since Jesus' resurrection:

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again,
he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when
he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered,
Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter
into the kingdom of God. -- John 3:3-5

In what way was this the heavenly revelation that was not given to anyone before Jesus came? Certainly, it was prophesied that God would give of His Spirit (Joel 2; Zech. 12:10); but the intrinsic nature of how this was to be offered as well as who were to be included, had yet to wait until Christ came from heaven to earth in the Incarnation (John 1:14). That is why it is said:

All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake
he not unto them: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying,
I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from
the foundation of the world
. (Matt. 13:34-35)

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning
of the world hath been hid in God
, who created all things by Jesus Christ (Eph. 3:9)

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by
the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed
heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds. (Heb. 1:1-2)

All these go to show us that when Christ made the statement of John 3:13, He was speaking in reference to that which no man had ascended to bring down, prior to His coming. The case with Enoch and Elijah were could not be regarded as "ascending" in this context (though they were taken to heaven); but notice also what Jesus said in that verse: "no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven". The very One who came down had brought the divine mystery that had been kept unrevealed in ages past (Eph. 3:9). That was what Jesus meant by "ascended" in John 3:13.
Re: Not Really Contradictions by babs787(m): 1:42pm On May 16, 2007
@Gwaine

Thanks for the post for my first question, you still have others to attend to. I did not buy your explanation but will want you to progress but part of your text is noted which will be used against you very soon.

Many Bible commentators make the mistake of taking Jesus' words in John 3:13 as pointing to His ascension after He would rise from the dead. But that is a weak premise, because the preceding contexts do not bear it out in precisely that context. Rather, Jesus made the statement about the ascension immediately following His words contrasting earthly and heavenly things. Nicodemus' surprised reaction as well indicates that what he heard from Jesus was entirely outstanding.

Soon we will know who is right among you and the commentators. Please go on with my questions, bros cheesy

It is really true that its your father that beget you jare, no shaking, carry onnnnnnnn
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Not Really Contradictions by mrpataki(m): 2:22pm On May 16, 2007
LMAO!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You got no rebuttals to all what [b]Gwaine [/b]said Still looking for your site to go plagiarize from cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Truth has come, falsehood is bound to perish.
Re: Not Really Contradictions by babs787(m): 3:51pm On May 16, 2007
@pataki

Rebuttal to the post of a whole professor. No I have got nothing to rebut because I dont want' to deride Jesus' cheesy.

I even dont need response to the remaining questions. cheesy cheesy.

I sign out
Re: Not Really Contradictions by TellyB(m): 8:30pm On May 17, 2007
@Gwaine,

I had to read your rejoinder twice (slowly the second time) to know where you were coming from. My goodness!! You opened my eyes to a whole lot of issues. Thank you so very much for making huge sense. cheesy

If it won't be such a trouble, could you try and offer some answers to the other questions - I'm sure there are loads that I would learn from them.
Re: Not Really Contradictions by TellyB(m): 8:55pm On May 17, 2007
@babs787,

babs787:

i.how many did David kill
ii. was it 40,000 horsemen or footsoldiers?
iii. what is the name of their commander?

It really would be nice if you could carefully research your points before you post them. I have a question about figures for you as well.

How long exactly is a Day in the Qur'an?

A.|| a day is equal to 50,000 years - Qur'an 70:4
       B.|| a day is equal to 1,000 years - Qur'an 22:47; Quran 32:5

Here are the verses, using the popular versions being read by many Muslims all over the world:

A - Qur'an 70:4
Pickthall - (Whereby) the angels and the Spirit ascend unto Him in a Day whereof the span is fifty thousand years.
Yusuf Ali - The angels and the spirit ascend unto him in a Day the measure whereof is (as) fifty thousand years:
Hilali-Khan - The angels and the Ruh [Jibrael (Gabriel)] ascend to Him in a Day the measure whereof is fifty thousand years,
Shakir - To Him ascend the angels and the Spirit in a day the measure of which is fifty thousand years.
Sher Ali - The angels and the Spirit ascend to HIM in a day, the measure of which is fifty thousand years.

B - Qur'an 22:47
Pickthall - . . . and Allah faileth not His promise, but lo! a Day with Allah is as a thousand years of what ye reckon.
Yusuf Ali - . . . But God will not fail in His Promise. Verily a Day in the sight of thy Lord is like a thousand years of
your reckoning
Hilali-Khan - . . . And verily, a day with your Lord is as a thousand years of what you reckon.
Shakir - . . . and surely a day with your Lord is as a thousand years of what you number
Sher Ali - . . .And, verily, a day with thy Lord is sometimes as a thousand years of your reckoning

Quran 32:5
Pickthall - then it ascendeth unto Him in a Day, whereof the measure is a thousand years of that ye reckon
Yusuf Ali - in the end will (all affairs) go up to Him, on a Day, the space whereof will be (as) a thousand years
of your reckoning.
Hilali-Khan - then it (affair) will go up to Him, in one Day, the space whereof is a thousand years of your reckoning
(i.e. reckoning of our present world's time).
Shakir - . . . then shall it ascend to Him in a day the measure of which is a thousand years of what you count.
Sher Ali - . . . then will it go up to HIM in a day the duration of which is a thousand years according as you reckon

Could you explain the difference between the 50,000 years and 1,000 years that are both a day? Or, . . .

How long exactly is a day in Islam - 50,000 years or 1,000 years??

How are we to understand the difference of 49,000 years between both figures?

Thanks.
Re: Not Really Contradictions by babs787(m): 10:42am On May 18, 2007
@Telly B

When you first came on board i honestly thought that you would be able to explain the issues based on the way you have been trying to address issues but alas you fumbled.

In the threads created for Quranic contradictions, no muslims went posting any biblical contradictions to answer questions, they rather explained without going to the bible but here you are trying to play smart when you were asked for explanation, you quickly backed it up with quranic verses. It didnt come as a surprise because you went the same way when you were asked to defend your doctrine of the deity of Jesus, you quickly avoided the questions creating another questions when you have no answers.

Common be a man, explain the contradictions in your bible afterall muslims have done same without making reference to the bible in their response. As for the issues listed by you, trust me, the links where you lifted it from has explained same too.

So bros, explain them to me and stop trying to act smart.
Re: Not Really Contradictions by TellyB(m): 10:58am On May 18, 2007
@babs787,

babs787:

When you first came on board i honestly thought that you would be able to explain the issues based on the way you have been trying to address issues but alas you fumbled.

Call it fumbling - those were not yours; they are rather the remnant of the oft-plagiarized and oft-recycled stuff your characteristically puff up.

babs787:

In the threads created for Quranic contradictions, no muslims went posting any biblical contradictions to answer questions, they rather explained without going to the bible but here you are trying to play smart when you were asked for explanation, you quickly backed it up with quranic verses.

Stop sobbing, please. Can we just face the issues instead?? I don't think my post should be read as having answered your recycled material; rather I posted what I did because I had a direct question for you!

babs787:
It didnt come as a surprise because you went the same way when you were asked to defend your doctrine of the deity of Jesus, you quickly avoided the questions creating another questions when you have no answers.

I do have answers; and yes I deliberately offered you questions to think through. I have not, and do not have the intention of, making excuses as you often do. If I had no answers for some questions, I pass on; others I comment on; and yet others I have made my bit and still hold ace in the several threads where i do - because I know what I'm talking about and do not stoop to the antics of plagiarizing faulty articles from dr. Naik Zakir and his ilk.

babs787:

Common be a man, explain the contradictions in your bible afterall muslims have done same without making reference to the bible in their response.

I don't see Muslims offering any answers - they've all been weather-beaten to hide their tales between their legs like spank puppies.

babs787:

As for the issues listed by you, trust me, the links where you lifted it from has explained same too.

Oh, please impress me! cheesy

babs787:

So bros, explain them to me and stop trying to act smart.

When you stop accusing others of your own weak plight, answers will come.

Please go to the link where the Muslim MYTH of Human Embryology has been debunked - and prove your mettle there.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-52865.0.html#msg1116322
Re: Not Really Contradictions by babs787(m): 2:56pm On May 18, 2007
Brother, please attend to the remaining contradictions please cool
Re: Not Really Contradictions by TellyB(m): 4:54pm On May 18, 2007
@babs787,

I think I have been fair enough to deal with most of your questions in other threads. The Forum is a place for discussions between people; and rather NOT a place to demand anything of others while you dodge theirs. Should I look forward to your answers to my questions; or you would rather keep avoiding the threads where they are posted??

(1) (Reply)

why does members and pastors of Christ Embassy have to jerrycurls their hair / Christians Are Fools But. . . / 5 Reasons Why Catholism Is Not Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.