Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,488 members, 7,830,464 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

August Meeting; The Season Women Make Laws In Igboland - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / August Meeting; The Season Women Make Laws In Igboland (413 Views)

The Origin Of The 4 Market Days In Igboland / A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland / How Children Of The Dead Share Proceed Made From Funeral Ceremonies In Igboland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

August Meeting; The Season Women Make Laws In Igboland by desmond2pk: 9:26am On Aug 20, 2019
Its August. A time Igbo women travel home to make laws for themselves and their communities.
I am an Igbo man but it didn't not occurr to me that women make laws that govern igbos apart from traditions until i read an old foreign news article on Igbo women and laws.
Yes, august meeting its not always fun. Daily these women come together to deliberate on issues that affects them, their husbands, their children and their farming. Its more serious than you think. It takes a lot of time, arguments, counter arguments to come up to something. At the end, a law would be decided. Men usually don't have the patience it takes to make this laws. Basically meetings don't take more than 3 hours but during August meetings, women leave home as early as 8 AM until 6 pm. Ofcourse, they don't leave without making privisions for their husbands and children. Failure to do that can also attack penalties if the husband make a report.
But at the end, laws would be made, which would guide them and the communities until the next august when the laws will be reviewed and complaints made, penalties executed. They make and execute their laws while the men are helpless but comply.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Advise Someone To Use Deodorant? / HRH Igwe Engr Timothy Gbugu Celebrates Maiden Ofala. / A Message To African Parents!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.