Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,819 members, 7,817,385 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors (37811 Views)

Transformation Of The Building Through Quality Painmting For Our Client / We Transform The Building Through Quality Painting / When All You Need Are Quality Doors For Your Building (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Nighouseplans(m): 6:09pm On Aug 21, 2019
You’ve spent quite some amount of money finishing your building…hoping to live happily ever after but some months after moving in, you notice water seeping into the building through the floors. The walls swell, paints peel, dampness takes over and there’s eventually a stench in your house. What could this be??

You are disturbed and try to find a solution but later realise that none is real and lasting, only patching repairs which ends up consuming resources constantly.

A lot of home owners go through this experience nowadays. Many years back you hardly experience such but due to neglect,ignorance or greed water seeps into many buildings, even high-end buildings are not left out.

How could this have been avoided?

The Problem:

The simple issue is that some “contractors” do not follow standards either out of ignorance or desire to make more gain. Building owners may not be aware until its too late.

The culprit:

The culprit is capillary action: that’s the ability of water to rise through a substance.

Example: water rising through a cloth when you dip it in water. If your foundation build-up is not properly done, water will soon rise up through the ground to the floor and walls.

Many foundations are done by laying the floor slab directly over compacted earth. This makes it easy for water to find its way up into the building after a short while.

The Solution:

The solution to this issue is following standards. Its simple and cheaper overall. The correct process after digging and laying your foundation blocks is:

1. Fill foundation with filling sand.
2. After filling, compact the ground. Ramming the ground after water application is required for better compaction.
3. Pour hardcore. This can be rubble or broken blocks. Sand may be used if hardcore is expensive.Hardcore has larger pores than clay thereby
prevents water from rising up through the foundation.
4. Apply a bed of sand to receive waterproofing.
5. Apply waterproof membrane. The water proof membrane acts as the final cap/seal such that any dampness that find its way up is stopped.
6. Cast the ground slab using the correct concrete mix for the slab. The correct concrete mix will prevent cracks and will ultimately ensure that
dampness doesn’t find its way in over time.

It’s a futile attempt trying to repair a foundation after the building is done. Following these outlined steps will save you money while giving you the assurance and peace of mind that there will be no dampness in your building throughout its life cycle.

Wishing you success on your building project. Thank You.

https://nigerianhouseplans.com/best-way-to-prevent-water-from-sipping-into-your-building-through-the-floors/

67 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by ayoyinks(m): 7:47pm On Aug 21, 2019
FTC finally

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by NOL2dworld(m): 7:47pm On Aug 21, 2019
Useful information... Big up Ops.

A message to anyone who wishes to hear..

Are U going through a difficult patch in your marriage, in your business or on your job?

Do U feel U have been kept on hold or it seems your life is going round in circles?

U can stand on the finished work of Calvary where Jesus died for us and released us from every bondage.

Accept Jesus Christ, surrender to him, rededicate yourself to Him and make Him your personal Lord and Saviour. Accept Him now, for next minute may be too late..

If U want to give your life to Christ or If U have giving your life to Christ before but has taking it back.. This is the time to rededicate your life...

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 21, 2019
I finally found something sensible on nairaland today..... Op come and take one bottle

72 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by ikombe: 7:47pm On Aug 21, 2019
Make I just comment just in case I build my own house cool

Contact me for your Gym and Exercise equipment both Home and Commercial Use

check my signature and profile for more info.

Delivery Within Lagos. Waybill outside lagos.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by kolafolabi(m): 7:48pm On Aug 21, 2019
This is a vital information. Thanks OP!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by yawehoverall: 7:48pm On Aug 21, 2019
Normal thing na.. it's the usual house building style

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by ayoyinks(m): 7:48pm On Aug 21, 2019
Yea that through, I will apply that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by mhktaryan: 7:48pm On Aug 21, 2019
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Justbeingreal(m): 7:50pm On Aug 21, 2019
cool

Lots of buildings experience damping and it's not cool at all..

Another stupid building idea is putting water tank on top the building in a short while it starts wetting the walls and cause issues for the occupants..

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:50pm On Aug 21, 2019
Very good and revealing thread.
Thanks OP.
Thumbs up.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:51pm On Aug 21, 2019
yawehoverall:
Normal thing na.. it's the usual house building style

Normal thing you say?!
Be appreciative for some vital information you are getting for free here for once.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by helphelp: 7:51pm On Aug 21, 2019
Foundation is everything a building depends on. Mess the foundation up and welcome yourself to a life of pity

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by dfrost: 7:51pm On Aug 21, 2019
Correct.

Topics like this was what Nairaland was know for back in the days but now it has gone to the adultnude posters, punters, gamblers, scammers et al.

Modified:

I said and they are here. One of them some steps below.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by udbyron1(m): 7:52pm On Aug 21, 2019
Nice one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by agabaI23(m): 7:52pm On Aug 21, 2019
I so hated this
I so so hated this
I will make use of this your standard process
Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Orpe7(m): 7:52pm On Aug 21, 2019
Just do german floor shikena

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by olajide8(m): 7:52pm On Aug 21, 2019
Nighouseplans:
You’ve spent quite some amount of money finishing your building…hoping to live happily ever after but some months after moving in, you notice water seeping into the building through the floors. The walls swell, paints peel, dampness takes over and there’s eventually a stench in your house. What could this be??

You are disturbed and try to find a solution but later realise that none is real and lasting, only patching repairs which ends up consuming resources constantly.

A lot of home owners go through this experience nowadays. Many years back you hardly experience such but due to neglect,ignorance or greed water seeps into many buildings, even high-end buildings are not left out.

The Problem:

The simple issue is that some “contractors” do not follow standards either out of ignorance or desire to make more gain. Building owners may not be aware until its too late.

The culprit:

The culprit is capillary action: that’s the ability of water to rise through a substance.

Example: water rising through a cloth when you dip it in water. If your foundation build-up is not properly done, water will soon rise up through the ground to the floor and walls.

Many foundations are done by laying the floor slab directly over compacted earth. This makes it easy for water to find its way up into the building after a short while.

The Solution:

The solution to this issue is following standards. Its simple and cheaper overall. The correct process after digging and laying your foundation blocks is:

2. After filling, compact the ground. Ramming the ground after water application is required for better compaction.
3. Pour hardcore. This can be rubble or broken blocks. Sand may be used if hardcore is expensive.Hardcore has larger pores than clay thereby
5. Apply waterproof membrane. The water proof membrane acts as the final cap/seal such that any dampness that find its way up is stopped.
6. Cast the ground slab using the correct concrete mix for the slab. The correct concrete mix will prevent cracks and will ultimately ensure that

It’s a futile attempt trying to repair a foundation after the building is done. Following these outlined steps will save you money while giving you the assurance and peace of mind that there will be no dampness in your building throughout its life cycle.

https://nigerianhouseplans.com/best-way-to-prevent-water-from-sipping-into-your-building-through-the-floors/

What of an existing building the walls get wet and the floor does -0 degrees when everywhere is wet

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by ABCthings: 7:52pm On Aug 21, 2019
ayoyinks:
FTC finally
You finally made it in life. Congrats.

Back to the article. I can authoritatively tell you that this thread will only help 2% of the readers. Most of us are not builders and those that are builders already know this.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by SEGLIZ: 7:52pm On Aug 21, 2019
................ hardly would people believe original things or doing things the right way comes cheaper than inferior or crude process.
it good to minimize cost but not to our own detriment.
I always say it your resources can only do two rooms to taste go ahead than putting up a three bedroom flat that is of less standard.
OP God bless you.
this a well done job

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by starbuck(f): 7:53pm On Aug 21, 2019
I don't think I have plans of building house in this life kiss kiss... Let me chop belleful 1st

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by ocheejeh: 7:55pm On Aug 21, 2019
Nighouseplans:

The Problem:

The culprit:

The Solution:

Nice piece...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by dfrost: 7:55pm On Aug 21, 2019
starbuck:
H

H for House I guess right? grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Chukazu: 7:56pm On Aug 21, 2019
Can you elaborate on waterproof mainbrane ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by BabaIbo: 7:56pm On Aug 21, 2019
Thanks OP

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by ocheejeh: 7:57pm On Aug 21, 2019
Nice piece

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by oka4ugoo: 7:57pm On Aug 21, 2019
The caption should have read : To people it may concern: and then the topic.

Wetin concern me wey still dey owe my landlord 5 months rents with house matter. Ashawo dey go for virginity test? wetin em wan go test again.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Lexusgs430: 7:57pm On Aug 21, 2019
Water no get respect o.......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Mekanus(m): 7:58pm On Aug 21, 2019
starbuck:
I don't think I have plans of building house in this life kiss kiss... Let me chop belleful 1st

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Nobody: 7:58pm On Aug 21, 2019
especially swampie area

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Offers One Bedroom Apartment For ₦9.2m Under Affordable Housing Scheme / 3AD Nightclub In Otta, Ogun On Fire / Different Types Of Nigerian Landlords (meme Collection)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.