Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,355 members, 7,836,454 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Pioneer Maize Seed - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pioneer Maize Seed (16692 Views)

Pioneer Maize Seeds Needed / Seedco Maize Seed Both Yellow And White Is Available! / Confused About The Suitable Maize Seed To Plant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by stagger: 4:27pm On Sep 03, 2019
Great journal.

1 Like

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by olugbengaomotay: 5:02am On Sep 04, 2019
You have a nice looking clean field there. One difficult thing with agriculture is weed management. Some few questions please 1) Did you use chemical or mechanical means to control the weeds? 2) You spoke about gramoxone application when the plants are already few weeks - How did you achieve this without hurting the plants? I know gramoxone is paraquat and it is non selective herbicides 3) How many seeds did you plant per hole? You spoke about procuring double seeder planter and i can see some plants in double and some single. 4)What plant population were you able to achieve? Appreciate your responses. Thanks

shariff84:
after the application of chemical, I leave for kontagora where I resided.I go back to the farm on 13 August 2019 and here is picture so far
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 2:40pm On Sep 06, 2019
olugbengaomotay:
You have a nice looking clean field there. One difficult thing with agriculture is weed management. Some few questions please 1) Did you use chemical or mechanical means to control the weeds? 2) You spoke about gramoxone application when the plants are already few weeks - How did you achieve this without hurting the plants? I know gramoxone is paraquat and it is non selective herbicides 3) How many seeds did you plant per hole? You spoke about procuring double seeder planter and i can see some plants in double and some single. 4)What plant population were you able to achieve? Appreciate your responses. Thanks

I used both chemical and mechanical weed control. after I planted the maize with two days we applied gramoxone and atrazine powder. at week 4 i decided to give the whole farm for manual weeding at 30k. yes you can use gramoxone to control weeds in any crop if the sprayer is expert. also at week 6 we do gramoxone again,apply urea fertilizer and plant beans. 3-its one seed per hole,where you saw two or three in a hole its a sorghum not maize. 4- the plant population for one hectare is normally between 50-70k stands.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 2:42pm On Sep 06, 2019
at week 6, I started seeing flowers

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 2:46pm On Sep 06, 2019
Another pic at week 6-7

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 2:48pm On Sep 06, 2019
Pls note,if you want to plan pioneer maize seed go for yellow not white because the yield potential and actual yield of yellow is greater than white
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 2:51pm On Sep 06, 2019
We did gramoxone and planted beans yesterday,iam now back home!
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by stagger: 4:13pm On Sep 06, 2019
Looks like you have to apply that urea quickly as the impact of nitrogen uptake on yield reduces rapidly once tasseling occurs.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 6:04pm On Sep 06, 2019
stagger:
Looks like you have to apply that urea quickly as the impact of nitrogen uptake on yield reduces rapidly once tasseling occurs.
we have applied it yesterday.thank u
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 7:50pm On Sep 06, 2019
this evening i visited a friend's farm,here is the picture of his maize below

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Liadi2(m): 4:19am On Sep 07, 2019
Good morning please kindly post the pictures of the maize planter more so can the maize planter work on a single plough land?
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 8:21am On Sep 07, 2019
Liadi2:
Good morning please kindly post the pictures of the maize planter more so can the maize planter work on a single plough land?
we bought about 11 planters in our group,I bought my own from Lagos through someone I know in nairaland. my own is among the best,if not the best.its one seed per hole as far as you will be pushing it small during planting.

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Idemujoseph: 4:23am On Sep 08, 2019
Following you closely! The way this country is going now, agriculture is the surest way out of unemployment.

2 Likes

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Liadi2(m): 6:16am On Sep 08, 2019
shariff84:
we bought about 11 planters in our group,I bought my own from Lagos through someone I know in nairaland. my own is among the best,if not the best.its one seed per hole as far as you will be pushing it small during planting.
Thanks for your response, my question are the following how many ploughing did you do? 2 Did you arrow your land or can d machines work on a plough land without harrowing?
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by olugbengaomotay: 4:50am On Sep 10, 2019
Thanks for sharing. You said you planted beans on the farm when the maize was already about six weeks and had already formed a canopy like i can see. Will the maize canopy not affect the beans yield?

How do you go about it and why beans and not any other crops like roots like groundnuts? Thanks

shariff84:
I used both chemical and mechanical weed control. after I planted the maize with two days we applied gramoxone and atrazine powder. at week 4 i decided to give the whole farm for manual weeding at 30k. yes you can use gramoxone to control weeds in any crop if the sprayer is expert. also at week 6 we do gramoxone again,apply urea fertilizer and plant beans. 3-its one seed per hole,where you saw two or three in a hole its a sorghum not maize. 4- the plant population for one hectare is normally between 50-70k stands.

1 Like

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 7:58am On Sep 10, 2019
olugbengaomotay:

Thanks for sharing. You said you planted beans on the farm when the maize was already about six weeks and had already formed a canopy like i can see. Will the maize canopy not affect the beans yield?

How do you go about it and why beans and not any other crops like roots like groundnuts? Thanks

in the north we mostly plant beans and maize together.the canopy will disturb the beans but small because in one month time we will cut the maize and give beans chance to grow better. also according to some friends of my beans used to great in pioneer maize due to abundant fertilizers applied to the maize,the beans will be getting small-small fertilizer from the maize as his own share.lolz
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Reality11: 10:28am On Sep 10, 2019
shariff84:

Please whats the cost of the planter?
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 11:53am On Sep 10, 2019
Reality11:

Please whats the cost of the planter?
57k for double seeder
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 3:31pm On Sep 20, 2019
I just visited my farm today,the maize performance is great

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 3:37pm On Sep 20, 2019
another pix

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Thefarmer3: 9:25pm On Sep 20, 2019
shariff84:
another pix

Nice, may God your handwork. Is this the one planted on July 20 or 26?
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 8:14am On Sep 21, 2019
Thefarmer3:

Nice, may God your handwork. Is this the one planted on July 20 or 26?
this one its the one I planted on 20 july,though there difference is not much.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by jackomagnus(m): 9:00pm On Oct 03, 2019
Happy to see your posts and eager for your updates.

Please can I have your contact so I can ask some questions anytime I have issues?
Thanks. Mine is 081348994zero8
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 7:48am On Oct 06, 2019
I was in the farm yesterday,the maize performance is impressive, almost all the villagers are talking about the maize.yeah this is their first time of seeing pioneer maize seed planted in their village.here is the picture below.the haverst time is next month.I will update about the actual yield we get per hectare.

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by stagger: 7:24pm On Oct 06, 2019
shariff84:
I was in the farm yesterday,the maize performance is impressive, almost all the villagers are talking about the maize.yeah this is their first time of seeing pioneer maize seed planted in their village.here is the picture below.the haverst time is next month.I will update about the actual yield we get per hectare.

Did it produce 1 or 2 cobs per plant?

1 Like

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by topstone4: 8:08pm On Oct 06, 2019
shariff84:
this year me and my friends decided to plant pioneer maize seed,we are many in our group.I will be updating from planting to harvest.I will also give the actual tons each of us get,I personally bought three hectares own at the rate of 37k per one hectare seed.

How do you plan to protect against fulani herdsmen and local petty thieves?
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 9:08pm On Oct 06, 2019
stagger:

Did it produce 1 or 2 cobs per plant?
its one big cobs majority,only few has 2 per plant.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 9:10pm On Oct 06, 2019
topstone4:

How do you plan to protect against fulani herdsmen and local petty thieves?
we don't have Fulani herdsmen problem here but we have petty thieves but I will put local watchman.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by stagger: 9:27pm On Oct 06, 2019
shariff84:
its one big cobs majority,only few has 2 per plant.

Thanks. I will try Pioneer seed next time.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Jonnic1(m): 11:15am On Oct 07, 2019
@Shariff84 thank you so very much for this wonderful and concise information you are bringing our way free of charge. You are an example of a selfless Nigerian. I have learnt so much from you. I am a Senior staff with a government agency in Abuja and I love farming with a passion. I leased a hectare of farmland and planted maize this year. I am in the process of harvesting right now. If I had this information before now I know I would have had better yield and consequently greater harvest. Do you know I applied only half bag of fertilizer to the whole farm and I did that only once because I thought that was enough and I was not guided properly. This of course affected my harvest. But with what I am learning now I know by God's grace I will enjoy bumper harvest next farming season. Thank you so much and Keep the information coming.

3 Likes

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Idemujoseph: 8:40pm On Oct 10, 2019
shariff84:
My brother, y not sell it fresh and get you money. I think selling fresh corn is more profitable than dry corn.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by stagger: 11:02pm On Oct 10, 2019
Idemujoseph:
My brother, y not sell it fresh and get you money. I think selling fresh corn is more profitable than dry corn.

I wan try am sef this period.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nairalander Yewa Rice And Sen.Ben Bruce Share Free Rice in Lagos (Pics) / Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know / HOT Selling Rice Destoner / Destoning Machines For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.