Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,503 members, 7,861,440 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 12:22 PM

Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State (961 Views)

My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. / Oguta Land In Imo State Is An Extension Of Benin Empire / What Is Wrong With Feminism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by oladikenie(m): 4:54am On Aug 28, 2019
Good morning people, I don't want to do too much talk so I'll be as brief as possible. Actually I'm Yoruba by tribe, but I don't use that as a yardstick to relate with anybody, so I have friends from all walks and works of life... But this particular question is directed to my Igbo friends here on NL.

Okay so this is it. About two days ago, I was talking in school with this young and very beautiful Igbo friend of mine, and one thing led to the other so we delved into her relationship and dating life. She's very free with me and so we just kept talking and on. I sha got to ask her if her parents are aware of her being in a relationship and she was like Noooo. I actually thought she was going to say they won't support it because she's very young.. Say like 21yrs. But then she said its because of state he comes from. I was shocked! Cos the guy is in my faculty and I know he is Igbo too. So I asked what state, and she emphatically mentioned IMO STATE, and I think she's from ENUGU. I kept asking what the problem was with IMO since its an Igbo state too but she won't tell me, she later said I should just go and do my own findings on why other Igbo states have issue with IMO or marrying from IMO state.

So I brought the topic here.. Please my Igbo brethren, can somebody shed more light on this matter? Cos Lord knows I hate tribal segregation and all those kinda things

Please help me take this to front page if necessary!
Moderators: Fulaman198 , bigfrancis21 , odumchi
Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by Lucasinho(m): 5:36am On Aug 28, 2019
angry

Nothing, absolutely nothing.
Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by healthserve(m): 6:04am On Aug 28, 2019
IMO matter again
Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by VIRGINlabia(m): 6:16am On Aug 28, 2019
Sweety, it's nothing actually, that's how ibo land is with culture and religion.....it's just like asking an average ANAMBRA girl to marry an EBONYI guy, or asking a girl from IMO who is a Catholic or a girl from ANAMBRA also from a Catholic background yo marry a guy from ENUGU or ABIA that's from non Catholic background, my dear those things are common in Igbo land........na Igbos do am to themselves that's what I understand about it, so there's no cause for alarm.......and again you wey be yoruba, you know say yoruba and aproko be like ewedu and Amala grin grin
Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by LLobiorah: 8:54am On Aug 28, 2019
VIRGINlabia:
Sweety, it's nothing actually, that's how ibo land is with culture and religion.....it's just like asking an average ANAMBRA girl to marry an EBONYI guy, or asking a girl from IMO who is a Catholic or a girl from ANAMBRA also from a Catholic background yo marry a guy from ENUGU or ABIA that's from non Catholic background, my dear those things are common in Igbo land........na Igbos do am to themselves that's what I understand about it, so there's no cause for alarm.......and again you wey be yoruba, you know say yoruba and aproko be like ewedu and Amala grin grin

I love the way you tagged these kind of people, 'average'. Makes sense!
Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by oladikenie(m): 10:46am On Aug 28, 2019
VIRGINlabia:

Babe park well o... Lolz, which one come be my own? No be all yoruba be aproko na. Your comment is very direct and mature. Scarce to find this kind of sense on NL these days Tbh. Thanks sha!
Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by agadez007(m): 12:12pm On Aug 28, 2019
You guys will leave the log of wood in your own eyes and start picking specs from another man's eye

while you are at it,you can also explain why Lagosians are seen as wayward by other Yorubas and why Oyo people especially Ibadans are known for "Zina" where even husband's know their wives boyfriend and vice versa

I had a friend(From ekiti) who dated a girl(from ijebu) for 3 years but couldn't marry her because his mom told him that Ijebu people are too fetish and wicked

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by Nobody: 8:45pm On Aug 29, 2019
There are things you don't need to exaggerate or bring over.

On first note, distance marriage is not adviced in anyway because of mgbede.

Secondly, The maintenance of culture is important , very important because we abhor infiltration

Finally op, Am sorry but I think u a gossip to have time digging into her personal life. How is that your business or do you want to marry her?

That she is dating someone in uni, how does that translate to you or you want to date her?

I don't like gossips or are you telling me that all Yoruba states marry easily....Mr...and which you know is not possible , so why make this one look like big deal ...

If you like her say or leave her and her privacy alone

Ndi Ara.
Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by Nobody: 8:47pm On Aug 29, 2019
oladikenie:

Babe park well o... Lolz, which one come be my own? No be all yoruba be aproko na. Your comment is very direct and mature. Scarce to find this kind of sense on NL these days Tbh. Thanks sha!

Your fellow man, u dey call babe. something is definitely wrong somewhere..

Are you bobrisky?
Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 29, 2019
VIRGINlabia:
Sweety, it's nothing actually, that's how ibo land is with culture and religion..... it's just like asking an average ANAMBRA girl to marry an EBONYI guy , or asking a girl from IMO who is a Catholic or a girl from ANAMBRA also from a Catholic background yo marry a guy from ENUGU or ABIA that's from non Catholic background, my dear those things are common in Igbo land........na Igbos do am to themselves that's what I understand about it, so there's no cause for alarm.......and again you wey be yoruba, you know say yoruba and aproko be like ewedu and Amala grin grin

@bolded, before that one go happen, na by Grace of God....and serious prayers with anointing to touch hearts.
Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by Nobody: 8:55pm On Aug 29, 2019
agadez007:
You guys will leave the log of wood in your own eyes and start picking specs from another man's eye

while you are at it,you can also explain why Lagosians are seen as wayward by other Yorubas and why Oyo people especially Ibadans are known for "Zina" where even husband's know their wives boyfriend and vice versa

I had a friend(From ekiti) who dated a girl(from ijebu) for 3 years but couldn't marry her because his mom told him that Ijebu people are too fetish and wicked

Even awolowo refused to marry from ogun state ......The op doesn't read history.

Why did Tinubu marry from Itshekiri...

Even ekiti hardly marry Ijebu people ..

I don't like gossips... because that was how awolowo created tribalism in Nigeria today .

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by bigfrancis21: 10:43pm On Aug 29, 2019
oladikenie:
Good morning people, I don't want to do too much talk so I'll be as brief as possible. Actually I'm Yoruba by tribe, but I don't use that as a yardstick to relate with anybody, so I have friends from all walks and works of life... But this particular question is directed to my Igbo friends here on NL.

Okay so this is it. About two days ago, I was talking in school with this young and very beautiful Igbo friend of mine, and one thing led to the other so we delved into her relationship and dating life. She's very free with me and so we just kept talking and on. I sha got to ask her if her parents are aware of her being in a relationship and she was like Noooo. I actually thought she was going to say they won't support it because she's very young.. Say like 21yrs. But then she said its because of state he comes from. I was shocked! Cos the guy is in my faculty and I know he is Igbo too. So I asked what state, and she emphatically mentioned IMO STATE, and I think she's from ENUGU. I kept asking what the problem was with IMO since its an Igbo state too but she won't tell me, she later said I should just go and do my own findings on why other Igbo states have issue with IMO or marrying from IMO state.

So I brought the topic here.. Please my Igbo brethren, can somebody shed more light on this matter? Cos Lord knows I hate tribal segregation and all those kinda things

Nothing is wrong with Imo state. Among different tribes, people have their limited preferences. Within the Yorubas or Hausas or Urhobos or Igbos, a certain sub-set might want to stay within their set and not marry from another sub-set. Within Igbos, such limited boundaries exist but are not entirely limited to the Igbos but amongst other races as well. Even among whites here in the US, those from the North feel uppity and superior to Southern Whites and often do not like to intermarry etc. Most white US presidents have notoriously been from the North and presidential candidates from the South often have that stigma to battle against.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by Probz(m): 11:49pm On Aug 29, 2019
Very wrong if you’re male.
Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by Probz(m): 11:50pm On Aug 29, 2019
bigfrancis21:

Nothing is wrong with Imo state. Among different tribes, people have their limited preferences. Within the Yorubas or Hausas or Urhobos or Igbos, a certain sub-set might want to stay within their set and not marry from another sub-set. Within Igbos, such limited boundaries exist but are not entirely limited to the Igbos but amongst other races as well. Even among whites here in the US, those from the North feel uppity and superior to Southern Whites and often do not like to intermarry etc. Most white US presidents have notoriously been from the North and presidential candidates from the South often have that stigma to battle against.

Everything’s wrong with ndi Mbaise/Owere. You wouldn’t want to pick a wife from there yourself would you Franky.
Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by bigfrancis21: 1:22am On Aug 30, 2019
Probz:

Everything’s wrong with ndi Mbaise/Owere. You wouldn’t want to pick a wife from there yourself would you Franky.

I chozi ichiputa ukwu ndi bee anyi n'ama n'ebe ndi ilo no okwia?
Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by Probz(m): 3:32am On Aug 30, 2019
Umunwanya Owere na Mbaise are nothing less than a curse. That one might as well be a hard fact.

OP, do yourself a favour and stay the motherfuck away from them.
Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by Nobody: 6:13am On Aug 30, 2019
bigfrancis21:

I chozi ichiputa ukwu ndi bee anyi n'ama n'ebe ndi ilo no okwia?

Actually, he doesn't understand what u just wrote....
Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by Nobody: 6:19am On Aug 30, 2019
Probz:
Umunwanya Owere na Mbaise are nothing less than a curse. That one might as well be a hard fact.

OP, do yourself a favour and stay the motherfuck away from them.

Mr Olaniyi, I think osogbo, ogbomosho and Oyo women are nothing less than serial house prostitute cursed by sango to be so forever.

if not how can , u explain a married woman of osogbo sleeping around with street urchins..

or ogbomosho men committing series of pedophilic atrocities all their life.

The greater percentage is Oyo where the women has lost their self worth and value.
Re: Please Help Me Clarify: What Is Wrong With Imo State by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 30, 2019
oladikenie:

https://www.nairaland.com/5380012/lets-talk-which-state-town

The links reads

Came across this while surfing the net and think it will be much more fun if we conduct the research here also. Nigeria is bless with 36 states, various tradition and different languages. People come from different part of the world down here to acquire knowledge about our culture.

However, we still explore ways to discriminate ourselves and part of how we do that is not having the desire to marry anybody from any part of the country.

We all have these idea that people from certain town or state are this or that, therefore I cannot marry from there for some reason best known to you.

To be realistic our parents contribute mostly to this motive warning us times without number not to marry from certain tribe or town with or without reasons and this is very common among the Yorubas.

This also happen mostly when you related with people from another tribe for the first time, their reaction/attitude towards you make a lot of people judge everyone from the tribe or town the same way.

The funnest part is some parent warn thier children not to marry form thier mother’s or father’s tribe or town , why na?

Plenty talk no dey full basket, let’s gist

(1) (Reply)

Village Where Mothers Allow Pythons To Babysit Their Babies? / Breaking: Kano Loss First Class Emir / An Ancestor Caught On Camera While Eating Sacrifice (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.