Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,242 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards (3009 Views)

. / Best Books You've Read This Year? / The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards by Materese: 2:58pm On Oct 26, 2010
I just came across this news on Twitter.

http://www.prlog.org/11026299-nigerian-novel-honored-as-finalist-in-usa-best-books-awards.html

Oct 26, 2010 – FEDDIE GIRL the international adventure/thriller detailing  the experiences of an American teenager in a Nigerian (West Africa) boarding school has been presented two Best Books 2010 Finalist Awards sponsored by USA Book News.

USABookNews.com, the premiere online magazine and review website for mainstream and independent publishing houses, announced the winners and finalists of THE “BEST BOOKS 2010” AWARDS (BBA) on October 26, 2010. Over 500 winners and finalists were announced in over 140 categories covering print and audio books. Awards were presented for titles published in 2010 and late 2009, and Feddie Girl by Nona David was honored emerged as Finalist in two categories. 

Winners and finalists traversed the publishing landscape: Simon & Schuster, Penguin/Putnum, Rodale, McGraw-Hill, John Wiley & Sons, Moody Publishers, American Cancer Society, Sourcebooks, Bernard Books Publishing & hundreds of independent houses.

FEDDIE GIRL - The recent double Award-Winning Finalist by author Nona David published in February of 2010 - Tells the tale of thirteen year old Carlotta Ikedi who didn't like attending her American schools, and gets into constant trouble leading to two expulsions as a result of her behavior. Seeking a solution to Carlotta's problems, her parents enroll her in a private girls school in Nigeria. Carlotta faces a culture shock unlike any that she has ever known, and faces the challenge of succeeding on her own in a strange environment. In this wonderful coming of age novel, author Nona David weaves a fine story of character, friendship, and triumph over adversity.

Nona David, the celebrated author of this Award-Winning novel, currently lives with her husband in Cincinnati Ohio. She has a passion for foreign cultures and zeal to visit new places, learn new languages, and experience new things. Her background, friends, and experiences in Nigeria, West Africa is the major influence for her debut novel, FEDDIE GIRL.

Copies of FEDDIE GIRL can be purchased from the publisher: Bernard Books Publishing https://bernardbooks.com

A Facebook Page, dedicated to the fans of this novel at http://www.facebook.com/FeddieGirl already holds over 10,000 fans and readers.

Excerpts and Reviews of this novel are available on the publisher's website https://bernardbooks.com

A complete list of the winners and finalists of the “Best Books 2010” Awards are available online at http://www.USABookNews.com.
Re: Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards by deols(f): 12:45pm On Nov 08, 2010
waoh!
Re: Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards by slap1(m): 1:01pm On Nov 08, 2010
Congrats, Nona David!
Re: Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards by fASHCEO(m): 1:19pm On Nov 08, 2010
slap1:

Congrats, Nona David!

I second to that.

Check out the latest Nokia, Blackberry, Sony Ericsson & many more electronics, simply hit the below link;

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards by scmk: 1:25pm On Nov 08, 2010
Need to send sms to luved ones this season with customised sender id

visit www.webmailtosms.com
Re: Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards by dakkylove(f): 2:22pm On Nov 08, 2010
wow when i saw this story the first thing i thought was is this an fggc owerri girl cos thats what people used to call us, congrats to Nona david though, i have memories of my own cultural shock going to a boarding school the first time, its crazy
Re: Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards by MyneWhite1(f): 3:14pm On Nov 08, 2010
Well done!
Re: Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards by Wislet(f): 4:45pm On Nov 08, 2010
FEDDY GIRL- YEAH. It surely depicts FGGC OWERRI.
dakkylove:

wow when i saw this story the first thing i thought was is this an fggc owerri girl cos thats what people used to call us, congrats to Nona david though, i have memories of my own cultural shock going to a boarding school the first time, its crazy
EXACTLY. Hmmm. . . . .Memories.
Re: Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards by tommi34475: 4:52pm On Nov 08, 2010
I think the story is slightly misleading, gives an impression that the writer is a Nigerian which is not. The book is about Nigeria though.

Nice one all the same sha, at least it's a breath of fresh air from the negative vibes we've been receiving in recent times.
Re: Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards by lordvamon(m): 5:17pm On Nov 08, 2010
great shocked
Re: Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards by semid4lyfe(m): 11:39pm On Nov 08, 2010
Hmmm. . .wondering why this is news cos it's not as if the author is Nigerian  undecided

Ok, I geddit. . .the book is about the adventures & experiences of an half-caste girl [Nigerian father, Oyinbo (American mother) mother] who was sent by her parents to a boarding school in Nigeria cos of her endless truancy and discipline problems wink

I still dey find free e-copy of the book sha. Make anybody wey get am holla me o grin
Re: Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards by gozzilla(m): 9:10am On Nov 09, 2010
It is news because around last year the book was debuting various chapter on this forum. This should be in the front page of nairaland. Awesome.
I wish I could lay my hand on the book. i bet it will be something.
Re: Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards by netotse(m): 12:09pm On Nov 09, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Hmmm. . .wondering why this is news cos it's not as if the author is Nigerian  undecided

Ok, I geddit. . .the book is about the adventures & experiences of an half-caste girl [Nigerian father, Oyinbo (American mother) mother] who was sent by her parents to a boarding school in Nigeria cos of her endless truancy and discipline problems wink

I still dey find free e-copy of the book sha. Make anybody wey get am holla me o grin
@semid
lol. . .actually, the babe posted some of her stories on NL a while back, well before the book was published
Re: Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards by semid4lyfe(m): 2:19pm On Nov 09, 2010
gozzilla:

It is news because around last year the book was debuting various chapter on this forum. This should be in the front page of nairaland. Awesome.
I wish I could lay my hand on the book. i bet it will be something.

netotse:

@semid
lol. . .actually, the babe posted some of her stories on NL a while back, well before the book was published

Na lie both of una dey talk. I saw & posted on all the threads about the book and even visited the external links that were posted.

It was only the plot synopsis (like we have in the 1st post) that was posted here and excerpts of the 1st chapter that was posted on an external link I think. . .una fit prove me wrong sha o.

I  still recall from the little I read of the first chapter that the girl was expelled from school, the mother had a drinking addiction problem and the father had problems with a local mafia group.

FULL CHAPTERS OF THE BOOK WERE NEVER POSTED ON NAIRALAND OR ANY OF THE EXTERNAL LINKS I VISITED.

I'm sure you guys have Nona David mixed up with Myne Whittman. It was only the latter that posted full chapters of her "Heart to Mend"
novel here on Nairaland.

Why would Nona David an established & publishing writer come here and post full chapters of her novel?
Re: Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards by kokoye(m): 5:19pm On Nov 09, 2010
feddie girl . . .funny name in yoruba cheesy wink
Re: Nigerian Novel Honored As Finalist In Usa Best Books Awards by netotse(m): 11:09pm On Nov 09, 2010
@semid
the stories i'm talking about were posted ages ago o. . .more than a year, the thread was titled stories from boarding school or something. . .i might be mixing her up with someone else sha. . .

(1) (Reply)

My Soulmate / The Mysterious Girl(a Love Story From Epiphanus) / One For The Master And One For The Boy By Flow1759 #mobilebookshelfwaw

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.