Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,026 members, 7,818,032 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

Do Ancient Coptic Manuscripts Vindicate Jehovah Witnesses At John 1:1? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Ancient Coptic Manuscripts Vindicate Jehovah Witnesses At John 1:1? (468 Views)

Fire Accident At Cairo's Coptic Church. 41 Dead, 14 Injured (photos) / The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 / Five Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Ancient Coptic Manuscripts Vindicate Jehovah Witnesses At John 1:1? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:23pm On Sep 02, 2019
Do Ancient Coptic Manuscripts Vindicate Jehovah Witnesses At John 1:1?

Jehovah's Witness literature attempts to defend their erroneous translation of John 1:1 by appealing to copies of ancient Coptic translations that they think agree with them. This line of argument fails for multiple reasons.

Source

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Ancient Coptic Manuscripts Vindicate Jehovah Witnesses At John 1:1? by budaatum: 12:31pm On Sep 02, 2019
The gospel of John is the work of a Christian of the second century, who endeavors to construe a history of Jesus upon the basis of a belief in his supernatural existence. To him Jesus is no longer the expected Messiah of the Jews, but a cosmic being (viii. 23, 58), one with God his Father (x. 30; xiv. 10), through whom alone life, salvation, and resurrection are obtained (xiv. 6), while on the other hand the Jews were from the beginning his implacable enemies, with whom he had nothing in common (vii. 1, 13; viii. 41-47, 59; x. 8, 10, 31; et al.). All his discourses reiterate the same idea: God's fatherhood is understood only through the recognition of Jesus as His son (vi. 29, 46; xiv. 2; xv. 8-10, 26; et al.). The teaching of Jesus is summed up in the words, "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another" (xiii. 34); and yet this teaching of love is combined with the most intense hatred of the kinsmen of Jesus. All the miracles performed by Jesus assume in John a symbolical character (vi. 26, and frequently). The Temple (ii. 21), the manna (vi. 32-59), the water libation on Sukkot (vii. 37), the light of Ḥanukkah (viii. 12, x. 22), the vine (xv. 1-17), "the way" (xiv. 6)—all these are turned into symbols of the Christ. In the preface, in place of the genealogies in Luke and Matthew, a heavenly pedigree is given him (i. 1-18), written by one who desired to represent his advent as a new Creation.
Re: Do Ancient Coptic Manuscripts Vindicate Jehovah Witnesses At John 1:1? by Emusan(m): 12:43pm On Sep 02, 2019
budaatum:
The gospel of John is the work of a Christian of the second century, who endeavors to construe a history of Jesus upon the basis of a belief in his supernatural existence. To him Jesus is no longer the expected Messiah of the Jews, but a cosmic being (viii. 23, 58), one with God his Father (x. 30; xiv. 10), through whom alone life, salvation, and resurrection are obtained (xiv. 6), while on the other hand the Jews were from the beginning his implacable enemies, with whom he had nothing in common (vii. 1, 13; viii. 41-47, 59; x. 8, 10, 31; et al.). All his discourses reiterate the same idea: God's fatherhood is understood only through the recognition of Jesus as His son (vi. 29, 46; xiv. 2; xv. 8-10, 26; et al.). The teaching of Jesus is summed up in the words, "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another" (xiii. 34); and yet this teaching of love is combined with the most intense hatred of the kinsmen of Jesus. All the miracles performed by Jesus assume in John a symbolical character (vi. 26, and frequently). The Temple (ii. 21), the manna (vi. 32-59), the water libation on Sukkot (vii. 37), the light of Ḥanukkah (viii. 12, x. 22), the vine (xv. 1-17), "the way" (xiv. 6)—all these are turned into symbols of the Christ. In the preface, in place of the genealogies in Luke and Matthew, a heavenly pedigree is given him (i. 1-18), written by one who desired to represent his advent as a new Creation.

If I may ask, have you read the book of John by yourself?
Re: Do Ancient Coptic Manuscripts Vindicate Jehovah Witnesses At John 1:1? by budaatum: 12:44pm On Sep 02, 2019
Emusan:

If I may ask, have you read the book of John by yourself?
Of course I have. It's my favorite gospel!
Re: Do Ancient Coptic Manuscripts Vindicate Jehovah Witnesses At John 1:1? by Emusan(m): 12:48pm On Sep 02, 2019
budaatum:

Of course I have. It's my favorite gospel!

it's your favorite yet you are promoting what you posted.
Re: Do Ancient Coptic Manuscripts Vindicate Jehovah Witnesses At John 1:1? by budaatum: 1:07pm On Sep 02, 2019
Emusan:

it's your favorite yet you are promoting what you posted.
I posted it in a thread where op is promoting hatred of his neighbours. That however bothers you not but my post does.

The truth, they say, frees. The Gospel of John is the most historically unreliable Gospel and indeed is my favorite. Unravelling the truths therein is like Jesus spitting on mud and rubbing it in one's eye. I trust that you will use your own brain and see no reason to hide information from you.

1 Like

Re: Do Ancient Coptic Manuscripts Vindicate Jehovah Witnesses At John 1:1? by budaatum: 1:12pm On Sep 02, 2019
The Older Traditions of the Gospel of John

On closer observation, however, there is discernible in this gospel a substratum which points to an older tradition. Not only has it, alone of all the gospels, preserved the one possible date of the crucifixion of Jesus, the 13th of Nisan (xviii. 28); but the remark of Caiaphas the high priest, expressing fear of the Romans as the motive of his action against Jesus (xi. 48-50; xviii. 14) as well as Pilate's act (xix. 1), seems to be part of the older tradition. In fact, the historic chapters in the latter part of the gospel, which represent Jesus with all the pathos of human suffering, differ altogether in character from those, in the earlier part, that represent the superhuman Jesus. The oft-repeated formula, "that the saying might be fulfilled," which occurs in the latter part only (xii. 38, xiii. 18, xv. 25, xvii. 12, xviii. 9, xix. 24, 36), as throughout the entire first gospel, also betrays an older source. A greater familiarity with Jewish rites (vii. 7), with Jewish personalities (see Nicodemus), and with the geography of Palestine (ii. 1, iii. 23, iv. 5, v. 2, xii. 21, xix. 13) is shown than in the other gospels—another indication of an older tradition (see Güdemann in "Monatsschrift," 1893, pp. 249-257, 297-303, 345-356). There are, besides, genuine popular legends which can scarcely be the invention of an Alexandrian metaphysician (comp. ii. 1-11; v. 2-12). The last chapter certainly emanated from another source. Possibly the original gospel bore the name of John, to whom frequent allusion is made as "the disciple whom Jesus loved" (xiii. 23; xix. 26, 27; xx. 2; xxi. 7, 20), and a late compiler elaborated it into a gospel of Christian love and Jew hatred.Güdemann thinks that the whole book was written by a born Jew.
Re: Do Ancient Coptic Manuscripts Vindicate Jehovah Witnesses At John 1:1? by Emusan(m): 2:09pm On Sep 02, 2019
budaatum:
I posted it in a thread where op is promoting hatred of his neighbours. That however bothers you not but my post does.

The truth, they say, frees. The Gospel of John is the most historically unreliable Gospel and indeed is my favorite. Unravelling the truths therein is like Jesus spitting on mud and rubbing it in one's eye. I trust that you will use your own brain and see no reason to hide information from you.

Claiming it's your favorite and as well MOST HISTORICALLY UNRELIABLE Gospel, doesn't make sense!

Anyway, I didn't see anything like hatred in the OP, it simply asked the same question people have asked for century.

Since you're unravelling the truth in John. Can you tell us which rendition is most likely correct or perfectly correct?
Re: Do Ancient Coptic Manuscripts Vindicate Jehovah Witnesses At John 1:1? by budaatum: 2:26pm On Sep 02, 2019
Emusan:

Claiming it's your favorite and as well MOST HISTORICALLY UNRELIABLE Gospel, doesn't make sense!

Anyway, I didn't see anything like hatred in the OP, it simply asked the same question people have asked for century.

Since you're unravelling the truth in John. Can you tell us which rendition is most likely correct or perfectly correct?
Then you don't know op, and you don't know Christ, for whosoever is not against him is with Him, and those with Him are peacemakers and not division makers like op.

There's nothing like "perfectly correct" when it comes to the Gospels. They were all written long after Christ had died by people who were not even there, and they have all gone through edits and rewrites over the years for all sorts of intentions and purposes. The JW version is just one more rewrite with intentions, but so are every version from the very beginning.

Yet are they all for the perfection of we humans, to learn from and to perfect ourselves like the Father in heaven is perfect. For when it is said that you should "Seek first the Kingdom of God", Wisdom is principal.

Re: Do Ancient Coptic Manuscripts Vindicate Jehovah Witnesses At John 1:1? by Emusan(m): 4:13pm On Sep 02, 2019
budaatum:
Then you don't know op, and you don't know Christ, for whosoever is not against him is with Him, and those with Him are peacemakers and not division makers like op.

Ok

There's nothing like "perfectly correct" when it comes to the Gospels. They were all written long after Christ had died by people who were not even there, and they have all gone through edits and rewrites over the years for all sorts of intentions and purposes. The JW version is just one more rewrite with intentions, but so are every version from the very beginning.

If there's no "perfect correct", at least there should be MOST LIKELY CORRECT rendition.

Which rendition is most likely correct, the word was God or the word was a god?

Yet are they all for the perfection of we humans, to learn from and to perfect ourselves like the Father in heaven is perfect. For when it is said that you should "Seek first the Kingdom of God", Wisdom is principal.

But if those texts are already corrupted and MOST HISTORICALLY UNRELIABLE Gospel, then it can't be for the perfection of humans.
Re: Do Ancient Coptic Manuscripts Vindicate Jehovah Witnesses At John 1:1? by budaatum: 4:41pm On Sep 02, 2019
Emusan:

If there's no "perfect correct", at least there should be MOST LIKELY CORRECT rendition.

Which rendition is most likely correct, the word was God or the word was a god?

The question you ask above is similar to the [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+12%3A18-24&version=KJV]dispute[/url] between the Pharisees and the Sadducees that Christ was asked to resolve. One group only accepted the Books of Moses as the Word of God, while the other included much more books. Christ said to both parties:

Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?

We say Scripture is inspired. I would add, so too is understanding. We err if we know not Scripture nor the Power of God.

Emusan:

But if those texts are already corrupted and MOST HISTORICALLY UNRELIABLE Gospel, then it can't be for the perfection of humans.
Corrupted? Be thankful that you have what you have, I'd say, for the choice really is, that or nothing.

History was not so much done as we know it to be done today so judging Scripture by its historical accuracy is an error. It was not intended to be historical, yet, for perfection it still is. For if you can possibly remove the influence of Scripture through the centuries from the human psyche, I am certain we'd be a lot more unevolved than we are today.

A work in progress I call it. We are being built into a people of power through the immense power of the Word of God. We definitely would have been a lot more ignorant than we are now if God had not breathed the Word into our nostrils, and would love each other a lot less than we currently do.
Re: Do Ancient Coptic Manuscripts Vindicate Jehovah Witnesses At John 1:1? by Janosky: 9:11pm On Sep 02, 2019
OLAADEGBU:
Do Ancient Coptic Manuscripts Vindicate Jehovah Witnesses At John 1:1?

Jehovah's Witness literature attempts to defend their erroneous translation of John 1:1 by appealing to copies of ancient Coptic translations that they think agree with them. This line of argument fails for multiple reasons.

Source

STORY for the gods. Straw man sophistry.
OLAADEGBU lying Pharisee & carm lying Pharisee have ABSOLUTELY ZERO PROOF that Coptic bibles of the 2nd/3rd centuries in John1:1 never said "the word is a god".

https://www.scribd.com/document/25496486/Translating-Sahidic-Coptic-John-1-1

http://nwtandcoptic..com/2008/04/coptic-john-11-ambiguous.html?m=1

(1) (Reply)

The Story Behind The Song “i Have Decided To Follow Jesus" / Celibacy Challenge Thread / The Interpretation Of The Dream Of When You See Yourself In A Court Being Judge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.