Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,384 members, 7,819,393 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" (8018 Views)

Zenith Bank Charged Me This For A 5Dollar Transaction *pix Attached**** / Zenith Bank Adopts New Financial Reporting Style For Half-year / Italian Arraigned For Defrauding Zenith Bank Of N717m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by jeryl: 11:16pm On Oct 27, 2010
what the poster said is correct as i am a victim of that. I learnt banks like UBA were doing similar things until they met a customer that was their match which nearly put them in trouble so they had to stop. Tell me why you should be charged upcountry for recieving or withdrawing money from ur savings account in this period of online banking? Nigerians must learn to excercise their right and stop being cowards. That is why we are not progressing as a nation 'cos people see things going wrong and keep quite about it.
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by vasill(m): 11:19pm On Oct 27, 2010
Zenith na ARMED ROBBERS, using computer 2 steal. But other banks are THIEVES.
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by henryskywalker2003(m): 11:26pm On Oct 27, 2010
@ITBOMB, Ten thousand gbosa for you. If only more nigerian youths are like you, this country would be far better. Same goes to all that have made similar comments like you did on this topic.

@goldcircle, you just can't help living up to your name, can you? Just like gold circle is regarded as the worst brand of condoms, must you become one of the worst type of youths in nigeria. We all envy and wish we could be like the advanced countries but no one would want to work towards that dream. It starts with you and me making small changes in our immediate environment. If you're waiting for the day God will abolish corruption in nigeria, you dey on a long thing.
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by jeryl: 11:28pm On Oct 27, 2010
@ nimshi

1) are you sure these charges were not communicated to you before you opened the account?
2) are you sure these charges were not communicated to you sometime after you opened the account?
3) have you contacted your account officer at the bank?
4) have you sent an email to the manager of the branch where your account is located?

i can categorically tell you that i was not informed. Even when i recieved e-mail alert on credit into my a/c, they only alerted me that i recieved the exact money that was expecting into my a/c i.e say #50,000. but the only way u will know is if u check your previous balance from the current balance, u will now see that there is a difference. In fact, i did not know initially until one day that i critically looked at my previous and current balance, that day, i received #500,000.00 and when i checked, i noticed that my balance was short by #500.00. that was when i raised an alarm and i went thru other credits and found the same thing. so i calculated it and found out that they have been taking 0.1% of any credit i recieve into my a/c.  when i enquired they said it was upcountry charge but said if i want it to stop i should write the bank and ask for a waiver.

But the issue remains that me writing for a waiver does not solve the problem as millions of unsuspecting Nigerians are still gonna be sufferring this. Imagine debiting say #100.00 from every a/c in Zenith bank that recieves credit on a daily basis? Is that not pure robbery and injustice to the citizens that entrusted their money in their care. Provided them with liquidity? and kept them in business? They beg you to open a/c and then they charge you for recieving money into ur a/c which its even to their benefit. haba Nigerians. wake up!
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by mrofficial(m): 11:42pm On Oct 27, 2010
I said it before, "some peoples bank" That bank is for fraudsters and public fund looters.
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by Zechy09: 11:54pm On Oct 27, 2010
I once worked for Zenith Bank and I can categorically say that every bank has some form of charges to pay salaries and run the bank. I can also confirm that fee is charged when you withdraw from another state. If you write to your branch and tell them that you operate a lot outside the state they will grant you a waiver moreover if Zenith is too expensive you can change to other banks as I know Zenith is for the "rich and middle-class". If you operate HSBC or other top banks you would still have some charges that small banks like Lloyds TSB and others won't charge.
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by Osama10(m): 2:29am On Oct 28, 2010
Zechy09:

I once worked for Zenith Bank and I can categorically say that every bank has some form of charges to pay salaries and run the bank. I can also confirm that fee is charged when you withdraw from another state. If you write to your branch and tell them that you operate a lot outside the state they will grant you a waiver moreover if Zenith is too expensive you can change to other banks as I know Zenith is for the "rich and middle-class". If you operate HSBC or other top banks you would still have some charges that small banks like Lloyds TSB and others won't charge.

As for HSBC, when they kept debting my account every month with their charges, I just withdrew every single dime I had in there and allowed them to overdraw the account to the highest limit, before they adviced themselves and closed the account. grin
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by bidemi12(m): 4:00am On Oct 28, 2010
see why I often say most nigerians are demented retards? Even on NL most do not even understand the point of the OP; so let me help break it down. The problem is not that they are charging this ridiculous fee but that they did not inform customers before doing so period.
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by Obijulius: 4:07am On Oct 28, 2010
again grin grin grin
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by danidon: 5:22am On Oct 28, 2010
Its obvious that this impostor should be one of the fraudsters sacked by Zenith or a non-performing staff that was relieved at the height of the meltdown two years ago. kindly go to goggle and goggle cbn bankers tariff and you will see charges that a Nigerian bank is allowed to charge a customer. That you are given a waiver does not make such charge illegal or fraudlent.

I laugh when you complain that Zenith is this and that, please kindly try other banks first. By the way, a good customer of any organisation does not first go on air to report any observed shortcoming, its only people like you that opened account with intention to use it to defraud that lays such complaints. U can go on complaining as this is not the first time we are receiving such post on nairaland.

For your information, zenith bank just released its third quarter report after CBN and NDIC have conducted a risk based audit and certification. A PBT of N39b and a PAT of N31b is the thick of the moment in the industry. Thats for us shareholders and the bank's customers to think about and not he ranting of an ant like you.

Like the pay off line of the bank says, if you are not interested, jus take a decision , in your best interest
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by Nobody: 5:37am On Oct 28, 2010
^^^ @ Danidon so the OP is an impostor because he aired his views? You are a slowpoke.
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by ziccoit: 7:08am On Oct 28, 2010
ITbomb:

Posts here describe the typical nigerian mentality which causes decay in the system. in some other thread, a guy saw an insect in a food he was eating at a fastfood outlet he complain about it but but was shout down by ANOTHER customer to stop disturbing everybody cos of just 300 food, if he is not comfortable he should find another fastfood outlet. 
Here a bro is sayin the complainer should lick his wound and find another bank. in the 80s corruption started in a small scale but as people could not stand up against it others became bolder and today we have it full scale. if we can not stand against this small unethical practice , other banks will follow suit. running away from a problem is no way of solving it. let's stand for change

Thanks a lot to the poster and those positively disposed to the topic.You have really displayed an attitude that is very rare to find in majority of Nigerians. They always prefer to suffer and die in silence.
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by dustydee: 8:54am On Oct 28, 2010
simply wrong. It's because they know some people will give up their 'rights' cos they feel 200 bucks is small change that's why they do it.To one person it's 200 naira but to the bank 200 x100,000 customers = 20,000,000. cool cash for doing nothing. smiley
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by udokpuenyi(m): 9:07am On Oct 28, 2010
@danidon

Its obvious that this impostor should be one of the fraudsters sacked by Zenith or a non-performing staff that was relieved at the height of the meltdown two years ago. kindly go to goggle and goggle cbn bankers tariff and you will see charges that a Nigerian bank is allowed to charge a customer. That you are given a waiver does not make such charge illegal or fraudlent.

You are worse than fraudster yourself by calling name on somenone who just expressed a perceived corperate illegality going on in high profile bank in country. I think you need to be a guest to that 'gaga place' at Yaba or any of its kind wherever you are. It just a simple advice
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by GoldCircle: 9:18am On Oct 28, 2010
@OP,
why don't you just simply change your bank to one that doesn't charge this so called 'up country' charge. I know for sure that there are banks (and savings accounts) where such charges are not made.
So, Be the change u want to see!

@goldcircle, you just can't help living up to your name, can you? Just like gold circle is regarded as the worst brand of condoms, must you become one of the worst type of youths in nigeria. We all envy and wish we could be like the advanced countries but no one would want to work towards that dream. It starts with you and me making small changes in our immediate environment. If you're waiting for the day God will abolish corruption in nigeria, you dey on a long thing.

@henryskywalker2003,
Ordinarily, I would have ignored you cos you sound very retarded and I wouldn't want to stoop so low as to engage you in a verbal combat. Please read my initial quote above and use your cranium for once. whose talking about condoms here? Get a life you pervert. Instead of you to address the real issue on ground, you have as usual chosen to show your stupidity by personalizing issues. U really should get your empty skull filled with something at least. Even if it is cotton wool.

Rubbish!
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by dustydee: 9:19am On Oct 28, 2010
no where that says "upcountry charge"

Descriptions                                                                                                                                                            Rates

1.COT applies to all debit transactions. It is chargeable on all instruments and on all                      Negotiable Subjects to a maximum of N5 per mille
renewals and relievers thereof, including discountable instruments such as
Bankers Acceptances, Commercial Papers, Promissory Notes, etc.

2.Debits representing transfers to other accounts in the same                                                        Free
name, in the same branch or at another branch of the same bank

COSTS OF CHEQUE BOOK

3.Cheque Books                                                                                                                                Full recovery of cost plus stamp duties

http://www.smartproinvesting.com/basic-investing/moneymarket/cbn-bankers-tariff-2.html
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by fagin1982(m): 9:34am On Oct 28, 2010
ZENITH BANK steals from customers in the name of Up country charges aka WAN Charge.
Ignorantly customers funds are deducted without prior info during account opening point.
Its purely against the basic ethics of Banking.

Zenith Bank though a strong bank and great in service delivery should not stop all these petty sharp practices .
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by JUO(m): 9:51am On Oct 28, 2010
leave them pls
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by Nobody: 10:00am On Oct 28, 2010
These banks have been blocked from their fraudulent acquistions via false IPO deals, now they capital on ignorant Nigerian customers and many dafts ones like the morons posting critical ads at Nairaland to make the ill-winds. They have to be stopped. I do not bank with Zenith Bank, but Diamond Bank charges me 15 naira for each text message and 150 for each DISA check withdrawal on the savings account
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by 702: 10:40am On Oct 28, 2010
I am not a Zenith Fan but u pple should leave these guys alone. Staff salaries/bonus/ops expense need to be paid! If u can't beat them, arrange to av them beaten! how? Simply close and transfer ur funds to another bank that will suit ur needs!
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by Jaytee67(m): 10:49am On Oct 28, 2010
Zenith bank have done this for me before. I paid an amount into my own account (current account domiciled in Awka, Anambra State) in Ibadan and I was charged for up country transfer charges. I lodged complaint and they gave me a waiver but they didn't reverse the one they have charged.
This is actually daylight robbery and like the poster of this thread and others who share the same view rightly said, people should not keep quiet on this.
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by raycomray: 11:01am On Oct 28, 2010
I WANT 2 APPRECIATE THE FELLOW WHO POSTED THIS TOPIC ABOUT  "UP COUNTRY CHARGE" BY ZENITH. REALLY, I OPENED A SAVINGS ACCOUNT WITH ZENITH ABOUT 12MONTHS AGO. SURPRISINGLY, AFTER 2 MONTHS, I REQUESTED 4 MY ACCT STATEMENT. I SAW THESE CHARGES ON MY ACCOUNT WHICH WERE NOT SENT TO ME VIA SMS OR TO MY INBOX. IN FACT, I CREATED A SCENE AND I THREATENED TO PETITION THE AUTHORITIES. THEY CONSENTED TO EXPUNGE THE CHARGES FROM MY ACCOUNT. MAYBE, BECAUSE I WAS ABLE TO TALK MY WAY THROUGH. BUT, WHAT OF MILLIONS OF ZENITH BANK CUSTOMERS WHO DO NOT CONSIDER IT NECESSARY TO ASK FOR STATEMENT OF ACCT?

I FEEL ASHAMED OF MYSELF THAT I DID NOT MAKE ANY EFFORT TO INFORM OTHER PEOPLE ABOUT THIS, JUST LIKE THIS FELLOW DID. MAYBE, WE COULD USE THIS MEDIUM TO CREATE AWARENESS AND STOP THE OPPRESSION, CORRUPTION,INTIMIDATION & IMPUNITY  THAT HAVE BEEN THE HALLMARK OF THE NIGERIAN STATE. THANKS
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by jarkbauer: 11:23am On Oct 28, 2010
simply put its daylight robbery.they deduct money from acct without any notification.haba goddy emefiele

it is small right? its negligible? just do the math zenith has abt 5milloion customers if halve of them do "up the country" transaction weekly =
5000000/2
=2500000
now 2500000 * 200
=500000000
500ml naira
these ppl are rogues
annually

500,000,000 * 52

26billion!!!!!!!!! now we see where they get their profit, its from biting your pocket, i need a big hole in my backyard
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by jarkbauer: 11:41am On Oct 28, 2010
702:

I am not a Zenith Fan but u pple should leave these guys alone. Staff salaries/bonus/ops expense need to be paid! If u can't beat them, arrange to av them beaten! how? Simply close and transfer your funds to another bank that will suit your needs!
you are simply daft !!! so what happens if all of them starts charging up the country then a fool like you will advise we keep our monies at home in kolo.stand up against evil
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by adeshina4u: 11:53am On Oct 28, 2010
I used to use Zenith for my Salary but before each month ends they will charge me this upcountry charge severally simply cos i make withdrawals when on tour or out station. And i complained but they refused to change. So guess what i did? I simply moved on to another bank. This Zenith bank's upcountry is really stealing depositors money by style. GBAM!
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by 702: 12:33pm On Oct 28, 2010
@jarkbauer
You are a complex daft! We all know that Zenith methods are unethical, not the best practice(all in d name of income generation) and there's no how the regulatory bodies can impose this new invent on all. What i meant was that by the time they start experiencing low customers/deposit base, i'll think they will find a way to improve service deliverables. Remember,they r in business because of us and we pay thier salaries!! Dunno y sum NL'ders are so abusive?
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by mrofficial(m): 1:01pm On Oct 28, 2010
702:

@jarkbauer
You are a complex daft! We all know that Zenith methods are unethical, not the best practice(all in d name of income generation) and there's no how the regulatory bodies can impose this new invent on all. What i meant was that by the time they start experiencing low customers/deposit base, i'll think they will find a way to improve service deliverables. Remember,they r in business because of us and we pay thier salaries!! Dunno y sum NL'ders are so abusive?

Will that ever happen? NO. one mugun wise up, another one show up. The best is to cry out loud! You don't wanna see your fellow man get ripped off.
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by FrenchyL(m): 2:14pm On Oct 28, 2010
I had the same experience yesterday at one of their branches and it is not as though the amount is BIG but i honestly think that their customers need to be informed in writing or all information concerning the Up Country charge must be very visible in all their banking halls for us to see and be informed.

In addition to this, we really need to know why the charge that amount otherwise they might just sued by an organization or individual for theft. grin
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by kenkruse: 2:58pm On Oct 28, 2010
talking about zenith bank, they are not alone in this game, I bank with Firstbank (savings), GTB(savings), ACCESS(current), and ofcourse Zenith(salary).

First bank always debit me for withholding tax without any interest.  I left 47000 naira with them, after one month or so, they  sent me text message that my account has been debited. leaving me with 46853 naira. i've made my complain but yet to get reply.

GTB and Access has not been found wanting so far.

Zenith, ha! I tranfer my money immediately I receive salary from there to GTB. grin
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by Buzman: 4:01pm On Oct 28, 2010
Are you complaining, come to GTB and see fake charges, for taking ATM, they will charge, for using the ATM, they will charge, for withdrawing without using ATM, they will charge.

Useless banks.
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by jarkbauer: 4:47pm On Oct 28, 2010
wht is witholding tax
Re: Zenith Bank's "Up Country Charge" by Bloejoey(m): 4:55pm On Oct 28, 2010
@poster,
Zenith Bank has one of the best customer service practices in the country. In addition to that, Zenith Bank is one of the top 3 banks in Nigeria. This feat was not achieved by Deducting 200 naira from your account, just so you know. Zenith bank identified their unique selling point and thats why they emphasize high net worth individuals and nt people like u who complain abt a 200 naira deduction. Besides its a standard practice among other banks too and this charges are not hidden, you could write the Branch Manager to waive the charges if your account has volume of transactions and quit coming to NL to complain on a one off transaction. How do you think they pay staff salaries, maintain office buildings, service equipments, have real time access and continue to maintain high standards?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Nigerian Bank Offers The Most Reliable Visa Or Master Card? / Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? / Want To Be A Billionaire? Let's Solve One Of These Problems.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.