Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,917 members, 7,817,690 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant (46558 Views)

Recycling Plant And Recycling Company Needed To Buy Waste Plastic Bottle / How To Start A Waste Management And Recycling Company / Aluminium Recycling Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by Kentop11(m): 11:56pm On Jun 05, 2011
Good business idea, but, Is there anyone out there that can help me out with the availability of Compactor for collection of waste here in 9ja for sales, also, how much can i get it from abroad. please let me know the total cost plus shipping rate. Lastly, if you have one (compactor) for hire. Please contact me via kenshad007@gmail.com for one-on-one discussion. Thanks.
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by Horus(m): 11:25pm On Jul 11, 2011
[size=17pt]Lagos embraces recycling option[/size]

By Michael Simire

The Nigerian commercial capital city of Lagos has adopted an environmental management approach that seeks to recover discarded materials from the waste stream for further beneficiary use.

With a population of over 17 million people that generate about 9,000 metric tons of waste daily, the bustling megacity that holds 30 percent of the nation’s urban population is striving to effectively control the fast-emerging mountains of refuse or risk being inundated by them.

Courtesy of its Waste Management Authority (LAWMA), government has embarked on resource recovery endeavours such as a landfill gas capture, nylon buyback programme, compost facility, and recycling banks/plants. In fact, the authorities have in recent years reportedly invested around N30 billion and N40 billion in capital and recurrent expenditure respectively.

Head of LAWMA, Ola Oresanya, said last week that green waste such as grass or flower cuttings and hedge trimmings are being processed into compost, discarded paper into new products (like toilet paper, paper bags and notebooks) and unwanted tyres into rubber products (sandals, mats rubber bands and new tyres).

On the gas capture scheme, he said, “At the Olusosun Landfill, we have developed gas wells to manage and recycle municipal solid waste into clean energy. Landfill gas can be generated 24 hours per day, seven days a week. Landfill gas is extracted from landfills using a series of wells and a blower (or vacuum) system.

“This system directs the collected gas to a central point where it can be processed and treated depending on the ultimate use for it. Landfill gas-to-energy projects do not only mean decreasing the hazards towards our climate; they also serve as a substitute for fossil fuels, such as natural gas.”

He noted that, before year’s end, the scheme would commence producing electricity.

His words: “The end point of it is when we are going to invite you by God’s grace by the end of this year to come and see electricity that will come from that site. We are still working on it, there are two ends to that waste-to-energy programme; one is to convert the methane gas to energy, the other side is with the Dutch government who probably has signified interest to buy our own Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) emission reduction credits, which we are developing. We are converting what should have been our own pollution to energy, so the project is considered as a CDM. When the world’s greatest polluters give you money for not polluting, they count it as their own milestone for buy-back of emission to the air. So, the total number of methane gas that we are able to save will be paid for by the Dutch government and they will come and measure the total number of gas they we have captured and they will pay us. That is just on the CDM and carbon credit programme which is a United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) project.”

He described the initiative as undergoing a pump test, and that a simulation by UNFCCC experts had revealed a “very robust deposit of methane is in that place.”

On its registration with the Designate National Authority (DNA), he said, “Well, we have our compost programme already registered and we have a PIN for that but got the Olusosun (gas capture site) registered through the International Finance Corporation (IFC) of the World Bank and not through the DNA. But we are still going to synchronise it and get it ratified under the DNA.”

The LAWMA boss noted that the government had been able to access an international facility.  “Well, immediately after the Copenhagen summit, knowing the deprivation from the Africa region in accessing the Green Climate Fund, there are different bodies now that have been set up to assist African countries to really access this fund and there are funds to new project identification and packaging. Only two cities in Africa have accessed the fund and they are Johannesburg and Lagos. It is called the Africa Carbon Asset Development Fund. We have accessed the fund and making progress already, we have the grant to package for other sites other than Olusosun. We are now aligning other sites like Abule Egba and Solus, which are our potential project sites where the ACAD fund is now being showcased.”

According to him, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (US-EPA) is involved in one of LAWMA’s project by part-funding along with ACAD. He named the sites as Abule Egba and Solus, where the organisation is doing a methane assessment, which will be followed by a pump test.

He said, “After that, I am sure we can do all necessary due diligence in making sure that the projects are registered. And I am sure the DNA will be interested in picking that up, and we have similar projects that can go under the CDM. Our Transfer Loading Station is being package as a CDM project, and we have the big one coming up at Epe, which costs about $80 million. It is also being package as a CDM project that will attract potential funding under the UNFCCC.”

Oresanya further shed some light on plans by the authority to make Lagos Africa’s cleanest city in 2012. “First is to understand all it takes to be the cleanest and what it mean is we are going to compare ourselves with the best city in the world now, so that means proper bench marking. What is the cleanest city in Africa doing that we are not doing? We are already looking into that and whatever they are doing that we are not doing now, we want to do between now and next year and even do better.

“There are several areas where we are the best in Africa for now but there are still a lot other areas where we believe we must still catch up. By and large, it is all about aspirations to make sure that we get the best practice. If there are no aspirations, there will be complacency. The greatest enemy of success is complacency, if we have been declared the cleanest city in , and by and large I think in West Africa, we are also doing very well and yes, everybody has been applauding the paradigm shift, the threat to that success is complacency and we don’t want to fall a victim of our own success and that is why we set new aspirations, as well as goals for ourselves.”
Reacting to inquiries on what informed the city’s recycling programme, he contended, “On resource recovery we have our target that means we should be able to convert waste from its present form to a useful format. We have done our studies in the last six years, and what we are only seeing are the implementation of all the things we said we are going to do and we try now to show the public that the job is just starting.
“You can be sure we are going to do more of recycling in Lagos; that is our new target. Our core area in waste management in Lagos now is in recycling, we want to be the best recycling city in Africa, we want to be able to convert substantial part of waste into new and useful items and, most especially, we want to have our own indigenous solution, using our own technology and combined with experience from other nations that have done it, using our internal capacity within LAWMA, academia and the general public. So, we are trying to evolve something that is very indigenous to Lagos as a city, to make sure that we do our conversion. A typical example of that is our buy-back programme, whereby we buy recoverable waste from people. We are not just doing it now, it has been with us in the time past in this part of the world.”

He admitted that e-waste has become a challenge to the environment in the state and that the authority was collaborating bodies like the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA; NASREA, NPA and Customs in addressing the issue.

“We are all involved in how to nip this in the bud. We are working as a team; what concerns LAWMA is warehousing and awareness of the product. Most of our recycling banks are actually to capture electronic wastes, as when you bring something, we give you something new in exchange. To make sure that monitors and computer sets we get them warehoused for potential people that will either take them back to the manufacturer s or come and build the plant that will destroy them here. We did not create them and I don’t think we have the technology to destroy them.”

He described awareness over the recycling banks as just emerging but showing encouraging signs. “The awareness is slow but is coming up generally and people are getting to know them and what they actually stand for, we are yet to raise a lot of enlightenment about them, we want to test the ground and know the take-off point,. The response is about 20 percent away from our initial target and that means we have to do a lot of publicity that can push people towards its utilisation. By the time the recycling bug will catch up on everybody, it will be something good.”

Source: http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=36976
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by joshadem: 11:04pm On Sep 30, 2011
@horus,please we really need to talk,i mean how do u know all this things.i wanted to go into waste management but this ur innovation is fantastic.please send me a mail on joshadem@gmail.com.thanks man
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by Olufemi06: 4:33pm On Oct 05, 2011
I need to know those factories and organizations that are interested in buying processed Tyre wastes(crumbs) in Nigeria and what quantity they buy? and what are their FOB prices?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by chucky234(m): 4:51pm On Oct 05, 2011
I ACTUALY HAVE RECYCLING COMPANIES IN THE USA AND UK WHOM I HAVE DISCUSSED SELLING PET BOTTLES TO BUT FIND OUT THAT THE COST EXPORTING LARGE VOLUME OF PET BOTTLES WILL BE VERY HUGE.
CAN ANYONE INTRODUCE ME TO LOCAL BUYERS OF SCRAP PET BOTTLES IN NIGERIA,I WILL BE VERY GRATEFUL.

CALL 08024403817 OR EMAIL: chuckcollinse@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by mixtee: 3:33pm On Dec 13, 2011
Here comes a great opportunity for as many people interested in making money from PET plastic recycling and supplies.
We buy PET plastic in large quantity in Lagos and Environ
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by shariyamar(f): 11:38am On Dec 17, 2011
@mixtee
You have choose right path. Setting up a recycling plant and that too of plastic will be really of much beneficial than any other.
As most of the industries are producing plastic/ PET plastic as a waste or byproduct. And recycling this plastic and turning them into useful utilities and furniture will be very effective as you will be promoting go green "reduce, reuse, and recycle" concept! Go ahead with your plant.
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by Efecurtis: 2:51pm On Jan 03, 2012
I am interested in setting up a waste recycling plant in Delta and I'll be grateful if I can get any useful material to enable fulfill this dream.

Thanks

EfeCurtis
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by Randito(m): 11:09pm On Jan 03, 2012
I'm really into dis idea pls send me d plan drmscool@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by OEBA: 11:58am On Apr 18, 2012
go check out www.oebaltd.com they might be of help, they started me off in my recycling business
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by JEREMYONA: 5:54pm On May 03, 2012
CLEAN WASTE NYLON FOR SALE ==N30 / KG
• LARGE QUANTITY OF WASTE PURE WATER SACHETS FOR SALE.
• PROPERLY STUFFED INTO LARGE NYLON BAGS.
• LITTLE OR NO WATER CONTENT.
• MIN ORDER 1 TON.
CALL 08074766776 OR MAIL JEREMYONA@AOL.COM
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by XtremeBase(f): 7:34am On May 04, 2012
Waxxy: @Disguy,
i dont think it would be as difficult as it seems. Collection is a tricky issue as u cannot get Nigerians to sort out waste as we do here, even some of us are forced to do so by threats from borough officials

But remember that labour is cheap in Nigeria compared to the UK so employing people to do all the work would not be much of a hassle.

my main worry is the machinery to carry out the project. If i am correct, a cardboard compactor/ bailer alone cost my firm about £250,000 (about 63 million Naira), and you would probably still need a polythene bailing machine etc

@Zhia2000,
could you please elucidate on your research on local recycling strategies, will it be functional in Nigeria?

Trust me waste collection is not an issue, assign those mallams at the dump sites here in Lagos. I supervised the construction and test running of a pelletising and recycling plant. So i know waste collection isn't an issue.
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by Bamijibig(m): 10:14pm On Jun 20, 2012
Pls i will also like to be informed on this.is my desirable business
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by vividgate: 4:34pm On Jun 23, 2012
OEBA: go check out www.oebaltd.com they might be of help, they started me off in my recycling business

How much did they buy per kg? I got a quote from them for N30 per kg for less than 1ton and N35 per kg for above 1ton,while another company at isolo
buys at N50 per kg
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by KadeenTyson: 12:01am On Jul 05, 2012
Hi, my name is Kadeen, and I am from St.Kitts,The Caribbean. Can someone assist me in how to go about starting a recycling plant in my country?
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by KadeenTyson: 12:28am On Jul 05, 2012
hi i am the Caribbean and would like some assistance in starting a waste management plant in my country, can anyone assist, please contact me at dr.tyson_7@hotmail.com or dr.kadeen_tyson_7@yahoo.com... thanks, really appreciate.
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jul 13, 2012
pls i m interested in d draft plan
pls can u send it to ifyodiegwu@yahoo.com
tnx
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by abayomi23(f): 8:37pm On Jul 13, 2012
i am also interested in the uk waste management draft plan ,plr send a copy to my email-swift24telecomms@gmail.com
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by arbitrage: 10:10pm On Jul 13, 2012
interesting enough, a friend jvst called me today from canada to present this same ventvre. He asked me to get interested persons and companies as he is a sole agent or distributor for the waste equipment manufacturer in canada for nigeria service. The equipment will handle all categories of waste including general, biomedical, oil and gas wastes except metal and glass wastes, which will have to be sorted and separated before the machine waste treatment process. It is of course capital intensive, costing about 300,000 canadian dollars. Though negotiation of price with manufacturer is ongoing, it is a worthy investment as an hospital in canada pays about 150,000 dollars monthly or handling of their biomedical wastes through this technology. Opportunities are also available for oil and gas drilling or wireline services company in the area of core earth. Contact mailbox@cashlander.com for details on exploring this waste managdment opportunity.
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by Blackbishop(m): 6:37am On Aug 04, 2012
Please Send me the draft plan @ stanepath@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by Blackbishop(m): 6:38am On Aug 04, 2012
Please Send me the draft plan @ stanepath@yahoo.com and pls send me your phone number
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by ktoby: 9:10pm On Sep 10, 2012
Please am interested in the draft my email:ktoby10@yahoo.com...thanks
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by JEREMYONA: 10:16pm On Sep 10, 2012
DO YOU STILL HAVE THEM. MAIL ME JEREMYONA2@GMAIL.COM

chucky234: I ACTUALY HAVE RECYCLING COMPANIES IN THE USA AND UK WHOM I HAVE DISCUSSED SELLING PET BOTTLES TO BUT FIND OUT THAT THE COST EXPORTING LARGE VOLUME OF PET BOTTLES WILL BE VERY HUGE.
CAN ANYONE INTRODUCE ME TO LOCAL BUYERS OF SCRAP PET BOTTLES IN NIGERIA,I WILL BE VERY GRATEFUL.

CALL 08024403817 OR EMAIL: chuckcollinse@gmail.com
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by paulekiosk(m): 7:03pm On Sep 28, 2012
i HAVE PUT PLANS TO START A FOOD WASTE RECYCLING PLANT IN AJAH I NEED ASSISTANCE, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A MINI PLANT IN NIGERIA THAT CAN CONVERT THE WASTES TO COOKING GAS?
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by sharonobed7: 11:37am On Oct 03, 2012
please i need a business plan for waste management and recycling
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by Horus(m): 5:32pm On Oct 03, 2012
paulekiosk: i HAVE PUT PLANS TO START A FOOD WASTE RECYCLING PLANT IN AJAH I NEED ASSISTANCE, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A MINI PLANT IN NIGERIA THAT CAN CONVERT THE WASTES TO COOKING GAS?

You can also make a simple biogas generator from food waste. Biogas is easy to produce and a very good source of energy especially for the villages.
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by karadjorje: 8:24pm On Oct 06, 2012
I have 200 tons of baled tyres and 150 tons of steel wires extracted from the tires.hit me if your intrested. We could as well partner if you can provide me with buyers of reasonable amount.08068299298
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by webizone(m): 1:48pm On Oct 07, 2012
Rlst84sale: I think all of us that are in business should pull funds together and embark on a project like this and execute it nationawide in Naija. I strongly believe it can be successful. There is a problem I just notice there right now, that selfish greed attitude of everyone saying I want to start it send me your draft. Why can't all of us come together make it a big project and execute it?. There will be enough for everybody we can create big employment.

I agree 100 percent. My email is webizone@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by allemark: 6:59am On Oct 09, 2012
Well, how would we implement all our inside collection (what kinds of plastic bags, containers ...) in going the way of restaurant composting grand rapids mi?
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by greatkloo: 10:16pm On Oct 23, 2012
Hi guys, I can supply over 5 tons of waste sachet water bag monthly. Anyone interested pls call 08097049442. Anyone can also give me add or contact of coys who buy waste Cartons, pls help!!! contact me on this forum or via email greatloko@gmail.com. Thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Spotted Seriously Praying For An Atm Machine To Dispense Out His Money(Pics) / Uche Ogah's Industrial Estate In Uturu, Abia (Photos) / Mayowa Olukehinde Of Breach Menders Unreachable After Collecting ₦50 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.