Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,691 members, 7,816,824 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) (7478 Views)

A Race Against Time: New Romance Thriller Novel / A New Romance Series: Building Bridges / Introducing The Sons Of Zik Romance Series (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 10:09am On Sep 09, 2019
Simi Pedro
Today could easily be the worst day of my life. I'm walking along Femi Thompson road, off Westside marina in Lekki area in a trance. I'm thinking where did I go wrong? What could I have done right? What didn't I do but I come up empty. I vaguely notice some people give me weird glances and drive by. They make it known to me that I am acting crazy. I could have been them just yesterday staring at a beautiful slim lady with disheveled hair walking barefoot along a major road in Lagos but there is one thing I would have done more. I would have stopped and tried to help which is my greatest problem. I'm too nice... Those kind of people that are called the weak ones in this crazy world we live in. Just yesterday, I would have stood firm in my belief. Telling them not to find weakness in my kindness. Pfft, I roll my eyes. Now, I know better. Jeff Oshodi came into my life like a knight in shining armor, brandishing his sword, scaring away the wolves, wicked stepmothers, jafars, megatrons, rumpelstiltskins and lokis of this world. Sadly, it turns out he was just prince Hans. It had been raining this morning and now the ground is wet and slippery but I trudge along, willing my aching feet. I don’t know where my purse is nor am I sure if I'm with my wallet but I don't stop. Vaguely, I remember I must have left them at one of Jefferson's houses which is where I just left; where I met his very pregnant fiancé who kept flashing her ring in my face. Ring that was bought with my money. WITH MY MONEY. My parents had died in a ghastly accident a year ago leaving me as the sole heir to the Pedro fortune. When they died, I was both depressed and confused. Depressed because of their death and confused because I didn't know what to do with the responsibility. My uncles swooped in 'trying to help me'. I knew better but there really was nothing I could do about it, then, I met Jeff at a gym in Lekki phase two. I was dazzled the first time I saw him. He was so handsome. I'm a tall girl so it wasn't so easy to find a guy that was taller than me let alone one that was towering above me. He was easily six feet two. There was no single strand of hair on his head but his beard game was tight. He was very frosh. He was so sexy. I was working out when he walked in and jumped on the treadmill beside me. I smiled at him. I just couldn't help it. I didn't understand why he was still working out when I couldn't find an ounce of fat on his body. He said hi to me and I could already hear his British accent. I shuddered but kept going on my bicycle. Soon, he was working up a sweat and I could perceive sweat mixed with his perfume- Caron Poivre. What? I looked at him again. He caught me this time and started a conversation with me. He told me he had just arrived in Nigeria and was staying around there. I felt like he was the one I was waiting for all my life. He was so charming. We exchanged numbers and the torch was lit. Few weeks into the relationship, he made it known to me that he was a graduate in business administration from Yale and I was further impressed. He told me his father wanted him to work for him but he didn't want to work under his father, so, he was in between jobs. I 'grabbed' the chance and quickly put him in charge of my company- Pedro's consultancy. We were okay for few months then he started acting weird when I told him I was pregnant.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 10:16am On Sep 09, 2019
Then, I lost the pregnancy and he was cool again; comforting me, telling me it wasn't the right time for me to get pregnant. First, I was young and he wasn't ready. I WAS SO STUPID. My friends warned me. Tola Esho, most especially. She is my best friend. When Tola started noticing Jeff around her area in Lekki with a lady, she came to me and warned me about it but I waved it off. I was too scared to face the truth. I wanted to remain in the cocoon of love I felt Jeff had for me. God, was I stupid? Now, he has taken everything from me. My life, my money, my company, my life and my LIFE! The bastard.
I am trying hard not to cry. I'm a strong girl and I can face anything. At least that is what I feel till I feel it all over my hair, face and body. Some even enters my mouth. Mud spray. I didn't even know I had gotten down from the bridge. I sit down on the floor and start weeping like a baby. The offending car reverses and stops in front of me. It is a black Honda cross tour. Another day I would have appreciated it but not today. I just want to jump up and slap whoever is getting down from the car across the face. A man gets down and stretches his hand towards me in a bid to help me up. "I am so sorry." He says. To be fair, he really does look sorry but he is also handsome even more than Jeff so that puts him in my bad book. He is tall like Jeff but where Jeff was fair and bald, he is dark with hair that is nicely cut. I stare at his extending hand like it’s a vermin. He is wearing an expensive perfume like Jeff too- Clive Christian imperial majesty. Hugh! I hate this guy. "Get away from me." I scream. He raises his hands in the universal gesture of 'I'm not trying to hurt you.' "I'm sorry. I was just trying to help." He states. "Thank you. I don't need it." I counter. He looks at me properly then retreats backwards till his back hits his car. "I'm just going to wait here till you change your mind." He says, calmly even though he keeps surreptitiously glancing at his wristwatch. I am almost forced to wait him out but then as he plucks his phone from his pocket, it occurs to me that I have no money on me and even if I wanted to reach out to Tola, there was no phone to do that. This guy could actually help me but I hate his type. What do I do?

1 Like

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 10:19am On Sep 09, 2019
After much deliberation, I say. "Please let me use your phone. I want to call a friend of mine to pick me up." I choose my better judgment against my feelings. He looks surprised at my request but then he extends the hand holding the phone to me. I am just about to grab it when he withdraws it. "Why don't I take you to wherever it is you are going to? Just let whoever it is know that you are coming." He suggests. I stare at him for a minute then I yield. "Alright." I quip. I know he is trying to be helpful but my defensiveness is in full mode and I can’t take it down. I pass him, hop into his car and rattle out Tola's address when he joins me. He passes his phone to me and I call Tola. "Hello." I say as she picks up. "Hello." She replies, then judges my voice and rants on. "Where have you been? I have been trying your number. Whose number is this? I was worried. How did it go? Did you see the snake? Simi, I warned you about this dude but you wouldn't listen..." She says in a rush and I feel a headache coming on. "Tola, I'm coming to your place. Are you home?" I cut her off. "Yes, I am." She replies. "Okay. See you soon." I say. Somehow, a part of me didn't want her to be home because I would be forced to pass Jeff's house again to reach hers but I don't have a choice. I sigh. "What is your name?" He asks.
Dara." I reply, simply. I give him a wrong name because I know we will never meet again. What’s the use? "Oh okay. Oluwadarasimi?" He guesses. What is it with people and wanting to know full names? "Nope." I reply, abruptly. Close, but no. He shifts uncomfortably and revs his engine. After a few minutes of silence, he talks again. "So why were you walking barefoot on a bridge in broad daylight?" He asks. Tactless much? "Please mind your business." I reply. I wasn't sitting comfortably before because I didn't want to mess his car up but then I purposely rub my body on his car seat to prove a point. He grins widely letting me know he saw me and I notice he has a perfect dentition. He plugs a USB cable into his iPhone and presses on its screen. Soon, a beautiful voice seeps out. "Who is this?" I ask. "Please mind your business." He replies, smugly. I gasp but shut up and relax in my seat. Petty too? I let the song get to me. The singer is singing about a girl that got herself heartbroken and how she now wanted to run wild.
Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 10:20am On Sep 09, 2019
I am already drifting off when I hear his voice again. "It's Jon Bellion. The singer is Jon Bellion. Ever heard of him?" "Nope." I reply, curtly. He pulls up and I raise my eyebrow in question. "We are here." He says, nodding up at Tola's building. I look up and truthfully, we are in front of Tola's house. "Thanks." I say, I alight and walk to the gate without a glance back. "It was nice meeting you too." He calls after me before zooming off. I look back as I realize I didn't even ask for his name before he zoomed off. It probably is for the best.
~||~~||~>>

1 Like

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 3:33pm On Sep 14, 2019
Yanju Peters
I speed down to the conference meeting I was already forty eight minutes late for even before the detour, all the while thinking about the girl I splashed. I had seen her previously walking on the bridge and thought who was that? To be honest, it was ridiculous. I wanted to get down and ask her what was wrong, but I thought it wasn't really my business what anybody wanted to do, besides, I was in a hurry; but then I mud sprayed her and I had to get down expecting some fury. What I got was very opposite. I saw a very beautiful, broken girl. I just couldn't apologize and leave. I wanted to help her. Her white wraparound dress was unforgivably sprayed with mud. I looked properly at her as she screamed at me. She didn't look like a homeless person. In fact, it was the opposite. She looked like someone that came from money but was having a really bad day. My head was telling me to just help her get a taxi to wherever she was going; you know, help her regroup but my heart was saying something different. Heart? Heart? Scratch that. My mind. My mind was telling me something different. But is the mind not the same as the brain? Screw it. Something was telling me something different. I told her I was going to wait till she changed her mind even when I knew I was going to be late for an important meeting on Victoria Island. I said a silent prayer hoping she would come around. She did. She passed by me as she hopped into my car and I caught a whiff of her fragrance. It was very pleasant so much so I wanted to grab her and breathe in deeply. What? Focus, Yanju. Focus! I got into the car with her and she rattled off someone's address to me. It was an area I was oddly familiar with. Somehow, it came to my mind that I didn't want the person to be her lover or something. I gave her my phone and hear her talking to a Tola. I relaxed a bit when I hear a female's voice. I glanced at her as she was trying to calm the Tola down. She really was a normal everyday person; even remarkable. I asked for her name trying to strike up a conversation but she obviously wasn't in the mood. I wanted to give her space but then my curiosity got the better of me and I asked her about what made her into what she was a few minutes ago but she blew me off and soiled my car seat deliberately. Honestly, her blowing me off like that stung a bit so I did what I do whenever I was hurt. I grinned at her and slid Jon Bellion's album in and chose his run wild. I don’t know why I chose that track. I guess it just felt right. I guess it felt right to her too cause she asked for his name but I give her the same reply she gave me few minutes prior, tartly. Obviously, I was still smarting. She gasped wanting to say something but thought better of it. She closed her eyes and relaxed. She is so beautiful, I thought. Very. Her perfume was still wafting in the air condition. It took me thirty minutes to get to the address. I wished it took longer, forgetting I had a very important meeting at Radisson blu which was like an hour away. "We are here." I said when we got to the address. She thanked me. I wanted to say something to her; to ease her pain. Whatever she was going through, but all I could manage was being tongue-tied. She alighted and walked to the gate without glancing back. Why do I get the feeling she hates me so much? I never even met her but I feel so much animosity towards me. I couldn't help but call out to her that it was nice meeting her. Now, I'm in front of Radisson blu on Ozumba Mbadiwe Avenue and the security is asking me the reason for my visit. He checks my trunk and lets me in handing me a car tag. I throw it in the console and find a spot to park. I glance at my wristwatch and deduce I am almost two hours late. I rub my eyes furiously. I walk into the conference room and see directors already seated. I move to the head of the table and take my place. I rub at my eyes again as my employees start to settle down. There were fifteen of them. It was my Vice President that suggested we needed a work related lunch which was fast becoming dinner. So having the meeting at Radisson blu anchorage was his idea. The reason? I don't know. All I know is that even though it is costing my law firm some money, it is definitely a choice I would make over and over again. I'm already feeling relaxed.
"I'm sorry I’m late. It was unavoidable. Shall we begin?"
~||~~||~>>

2 Likes

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 3:36pm On Sep 14, 2019
Simi Pedro "You look ridiculous." Tola says, staring pointedly at my hair. She is of average height, dark in complexion and is a natural dread head, so, she is a tad bit volatile about hair. "Yeah, I know." I stare down at my Diane Von Furstenberg white wrap dress and want to burst into tears again. She gasps, noticing it for the first time. "What happened to your dress?" She asks. "I got mud sprayed." I say and wipe a tear away. "Look at me, I'm so unkempt!" I say between sobs. She grabs me close and hugs me tight. "Let's go in." She says. "Get me something real cold" I request as I flop down on her couch. "No!" She screeches. "Go pull that dress off first and shower." I feel like just curling up on the sofa with a book and ice cream but I also know she is right. I have to get out of this mess. This depression. When I get out of the shower, she is all dressed up in a red armless shirt and brown chinos mini skirt looking all ready to go out. "Are you going out?" I ask, incredulous. "Yes, we are." She replies. "We are?" I ask, not understanding. "Yes, we are. We are going to Hans and Rene for ice cream. I ran out of it." She says, patiently. She opens my part of her wardrobe-yeah we are cool like that - and starts looking for something for me too. "Why must I follow you?" I ask stupefied that I'm about to go out in my state. "Because I don't want you to be by yourself." She explains as she picks out an Alexander McQueen sea blue maxi dress for me and a pair of white sandals. It is a good thing I have a cloth stash at her place for emergencies because we just can't share the same clothes. I'm considerably taller and curvier than her. Truthfully, I don't want to be alone too but I also don't want to go far even though I love Radisson- anyone would if they have ever been. "Can't we just go to ice cream factory here in Lekki? Or cold stone? Why must we drive all the way to Victoria island for ice cream?" I ask with a sour face. I really don't want to go that far. "They don't sell agbalumo* flavored ice cream." She says, smiling winsomely. I think she makes a good point.
Agbalumo- African cherry
~||~~||~>>

2 Likes

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 3:38pm On Sep 14, 2019
Yanju Peters
If I hadn't seen her profile, I wouldn't believe this was the girl I dropped off few hours ago. Agreed, I noticed she was beautiful. I figured that one out at first sight. But now, she looks different. Good different, of course. She looks sophisticated. What is she doing here? I look at my wrist watch. 6pm. I stand, staring at her. She is seated on a chair on the porch of Hans and Rene and is staring absentmindedly at something in front of her. It had rained earlier so the ground is still wet though the sun is shining brightly. Drops of rain are falling from the edge of the roof, some splashing on her. I want to approach her to talk but then I think what if she is with her boyfriend? I feel my heart squeeze painfully. What is wrong with me? "Yanju!" Imole, my vice president cum best friend calls me as he walks towards me. "You have been standing there for ages. Have you seen a ghost?" He asks as he reaches me then follows my gaze. "Oh! Only a beautiful lady." He turns to me. "Yanju." He clucks, shaking his head then turns back to her. "Hey, lady!" He calls to Dara. What? "Imole!" I snap out. "Don't you dare!" I warn.
"Watch me." He says and starts walking towards her. "Why do you always do this to me?" I ask in furious undertone. He ignores me and continues on. "Hey, beautiful lady!" He calls. I turn away as I see him get her attention even though I know she can't see me where I stand. My heart starts beating frantically. "Remind me to drop you off at the butcher's" I mutter under my breath. He has reached her now and is calmly resting on the railing barring the porch. I don't hear their conversation but I see her smile a bit. He extends his hand to her and she takes it and gestures to the door of the creamery as if saying she was waiting for someone. I guess I was right. She is with her boyfriend. It doesn't seem to faze Imole though because he nods and resumes talking. I feel like a sitting duck watching them talk. I am about to turn and walk to my car when I see a small cute lady with dreads walk out with bags of what must be ice cream and walk towards them. She smiles at Imole; dumps the bag on the table and sits on the other chair. Soon, they are all engrossed in the conversation. This is it. I can't take it anymore. I walk towards them with my heavy feet. "Hi." I say as I reach them. Imole turns towards me and grins. "Yanju, meet my new friends, Simi and Tola." He points at them respectively. Simi? She told me her name was Dara. Oh, so, I was right. Her full name is Oluwadarasimi. Hmm. "Hi again." I say. "You!" Simi exclaims. Her eyes have widen. "Eerrrm." I say, confused. "Do you know him?" The lady Imole introduced to me as Tola asks. "Wait. Is he friends with Jefferson?" She continues. Her eyes widen too and she looks me up and down. Jefferson? Who is Jefferson? All of a sudden, I feel like I'm suffering for someone else's sins. Is Jefferson the reason she hates me so much. Earlier, I had a niggling doubt that maybe she hated men in general but now, with the way she reacted to Imole, I guess it is just me. I don't even know what to say in my defense. Imole comes to my aid. "I don't think so, sweetheart. At least, I would know if he was friends with any Jefferson." He says, then, raises his eyebrow at me discreetly and I shrug in reply. Boy code. "Simi?" Tola asks, totally ignoring Imole. Girl code. I think the atmosphere has changed from love all to sisters against brothers. "No... I don't know. I don't think so." Simi stammers out in reply. "Can we go now, Tola? I'm not feeling good." She stands up and walks towards the stairs adjoining the porch. "Oh, alright." Tola grabs her bags from the table and follows. "Let me help you get that." Imole says to Tola, offering to help but gets snubbed by her, then, she turns towards me and points two fingers- index and middle- to her eyes and then to me, telling me she is watching me like a deer in the headlights. Imole and I watch them get into their car and drive off, then, he turns towards me, raising his eyebrow in question- as if to ask what in the hell I did to them. "I mud splashed her, man. That's all. I mud splashed her."
I sigh in defeat.
~||~~||~>>

3 Likes

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Treasurewamiri(f): 4:53pm On Sep 14, 2019
Interesting! Bring it on

1 Like

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 2:54pm On Sep 16, 2019
Thanks @Treasurewamiri ���
Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Nobody: 5:26pm On Sep 16, 2019
ride on,following bumper to bumper

1 Like

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Ann2012(f): 11:09am On Sep 17, 2019
Following this interesting piece

1 Like

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 5:36pm On Sep 26, 2019
Simi Pedro

"Men! Why are the cute ones either jerks or gay?
Nothing left for women. Nothing! I can't deal!" Tola says and hits the steering in her outburst. I wince in reply and touch my forehead. "Do you have a fever? Sorry we are almost home." "I don't have a fever. My head is banging." I reply, cooly.
She glances at me. "I'm sorry." She shakes her head. "Blame Hans and Rene for not having a branch elsewhere. Like in Lekki!" She bangs her steering again and it occurs to me that I so don't want to be her steering. "I'm not blaming anyone for anything. Why would I be blaming anyone?" "Well... I dunno..." She flounders. "Your mood seems to have worsen." "Blame the second guy, then." I say and shrug more comfortably into my seat. I inhale the scent from the leather upholstery and relax a bit. "Yeah! That's exactly what I'm doing. The whole male existence." A man driving a grey Nissan sentra tries to maneuver his way into the space in front of her and she cusses him out. Let's just say he chose a wrong day. When we get to her house, she gets down and rushes to open my door. The gateman tries to hail at her like he does every single time she drives in but she yells at him that she is not in the mood. I get down from her car and hold her by her shoulders. "Tola, you don't have to do this." I say. "Do what?" She asks, looking away. "This." I draw a circle with my index finger, trying to drive my point home. She sighs. I drape my arm around her as we walk into her apartment. "I'm not doing anything." She says, adamantly and drops plastic bags of ice cream on the sofa.
I smile at her fondly. Tola is in a beautiful nine year relationship. She wouldn't understand that men can be jerks even if it bit her in the ass. Obafemi has been nothing but sweet to her. They have been dating since they were fifteen. So, I know all what she had been doing for almost an hour was for me. To make me feel better. "Just stop it." I say, equally adamantly, albeit genially. "Oh alright." She stretches like she is being magnanimous. I roll my eyes. "Who is the Yanju guy though if he isn't Jefferson's friend? Why does he have that much effect on you?" She asks as she walks to the kitchen. I remain in the sitting room. I try to ignore the comment about 'effect'. "He was the one that dropped me off at your place earlier. You remember?" I say. She turns to me at the entrance of the kitchen and raises her eyebrow. "The one that let me use his phone." I try again, trying to jug her memory. Honestly. How hard is it? It was just few hours ago though it feels like a lifetime. She gasps and covers her mouth with her hand. "You are kidding! Oh my God." She starts to laugh hard, her body actually wracking with laughter. "Why are you laughing?" I ask, amused. She walks back to me and hits me. "Simi! You are such an slowpoke. You made me do deer-to-headlights to an innocent man." She grabs the bags of ice cream, walks to the kitchen -actually making it this time- and shoves them in the refrigerator. I rub my offended arm and frown in pain. “He mud-sprayed me in the first instance!" I call. She walks back to the sitting room. "Well, maybe I won't feel so guilty anymore. I'm sure the house of DVN supports me. He totally ruined that dress." She says. "Hugh!" I groan. "Don't remind me." I sit down on her thick lilac carpet and switch on her TV with its remote control. "I need a movie!" She flops down beside me. "Cause I can't do this all by myself." We sing in reply and laugh. I have missed this terribly. It has been so long we did this. What with my parents' death to me taking over the company, to meeting Jeff. I sigh. "Do you want the ice cream now?" She asks as she surfs through the channels. "No. I'm okay." I say with double entendre. She glances at me. "Okay." We curl up together as we watch a movie titled 'Something borrowed'. "That was amazing." Tola yawns out as the credits roll. "Very true." I agree. "Are you okay?" She asks again. I look at her and nod firmly. I know she wants to probe me further but she realizes it is a fresh wound and should not be probed lest she wants it to bleed out. "Okay." She concedes. "I'm going to bed." She goes into the bedroom and I hear her jump into bed. Soon, I can tell she is asleep. I sigh and join her but can't sleep. I check the time from her bedside kadio clock. 11:07pm. I close my eyes but can't seem to get to sleep. I open them again and look at Tola. She is snoring softly. I think I stare into space for about three hours because when I come to, and check the time, it is 2:38am. I give up on sleep and stand up from the bed. I walk into the kitchen and grab different flavors of ice cream from the refrigerator. Even the agbalumo flavored one and carry them to the dinette. The night is silent- the only noise coming from me, the occasional judder from the refrigerator and from the low hum of the TV. I dip my spoon into the big tub of ice cream and really cry for the first time since I realized I was being used by Jeff. Not the loud weeping done at funerals but the silent hot tears pouring from my eyes are more than enough. I guess Tola must have noticed I am not in bed cause she walks in, rubbing her eyes. "Simi, what are you doing?" She asks, groggily. "I'm eating ice cream." I reply. "I see that." She rolls her eyes. She grabs a chair and pulls it closer to mine. I smile at her through my tears. She grabs my right hand with her left. More hot tears rush down. She doesn't say a word. We stay like that for about thirty minutes then I break the silence. "I don't like this person I have become because of Jefferson."
Oh yeah. I smile as much as my emotions would allow me as I recall her words for him exactly. Are you cheating on me or is this also in Tola’s head? That was what she told me to ask him when I saw him after I called her to tell her I was starting to believe her about Jeff cheating. That was after I got an alert informing me that I had zero balance. "I didn't meet him at the house. I only met his fiancée." The word, fiancée getting bitterer in my mouth. "Oh that lucky SOB." She says as she takes a spoon and jabs it into my tub of ice cream. "Hey!" I cry but she ignores me and simply continues on. "I just hope that I don't see you again. For the sake of the three of us." She points her spoon at an imaginary Jeff then puts it in her mouth. "It's all over. I was stupid and naive. I just have to regroup." I say as I raise my head. She uses her left arm to hug me awkwardly as she dips her spoon into my tub again. I make a face. "That's the strong girl I have been looking for!" She says, grinning widely. "Now, you know you can stay here as long as you want." "Can I have my ice cream back now? Thank you." I cut her off and shrug out of the awkward embrace. I pull the tub in between my thighs as I fold my legs on the seat of the chair.
She makes a face, flicks the remnant of ice cream in her spoon at me and walks off.
"Ew!" I yell.
"See you in the morn, duck-face!" She yells back.
"It's 5:30am, hare-brained!" I riposte.
~||~~||~>>

2 Likes

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Itunubabs: 7:26pm On Sep 27, 2019
Nice story..pls keep it coming

2 Likes

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Nobody: 9:40am On Sep 28, 2019
thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 8:02am On Oct 06, 2019
Yanju Peters
"I knew her voice was familiar! She is a radio presenter!" Imole exclaims as he barges into my office. We are at my firm in Surulere. My office is a large one, painted in white, except the walls flanking the door, which are decorated with African arts. My oak wood bookcase is pushed to the wall opposite my door. In front of it is my desk which is also made from the same wood. I have several large law texts, crime fictions in it and my awards are arranged neatly on the top shelf- courtesy my personal assistant. On my desk is a picture of my parents- Lanre and Kunmi Peters and another picture of me and Oyin; a paper weight and some folders. Oyin is a story for another day. Somewhere in the corner is a small area with sofas and a small center table with law magazines on it where I receive guests less formally.
"Who?" I ask, acting nonchalantly even though I'm anything but. I need every information about her. Even a slight chance of hearing Simi's voice again excites me. No matter through frequencies. Imole has been 'researching' them since we got blown off on Saturday. He called me to ask some questions yesterday. Today is Monday and the first thing he says to me is also about them. "Tola." He replies and my heart drops. "So what if she is a presenter?" I ask, harshly because I'm disappointed that it isn't Simi. "So? So?" He looks at me like I'm dumb. "So there is a chance we meet them again. You, simi. Me, Tola." He replies. "I'm not interested." I pick up a glass from my glass case and walk to my dispenser to get water. "I have Tola's number." I say to lay emphasis. "How?" He asks and I give him the substance of Saturday gist. "Oh. No wonder." He slaps his thigh. "Of all places to go for ice cream. I can count at least four ice cream joints in Lekki but they chose the one in Radisson blu anchorage to come to. If that's not fate, I don't know what it is." Imole is perched on the arm of one of my visitors' chair. "Unbelievable." He continues on. "Maybe you guys were meant to meet again." "We all saw how that went." I say, sarcastically.
Stop being such a downer about this. I can see a love story emerging." Imole can be different people at different times, it just doesn't sit well with me when he is the novelist which is what he is when he is not being one of the best lawyers in my firm. "I'm not being a downer. I'm just being real. I don't see anything and I strongly advise you not to see anything." I elaborate and walk to the sofa by the wall to ceiling window on the left side of my office, my glass of water in my hand. "Leave it alone." I demand and flop down on the sofa. He stays silent a few minutes then, he says. "Give me your phone." "Why?" I ask and take a sip of cool water. "I need to text my PA. I just remembered something." "Use yours." I say but throw my phone to him anyway. He catches it and texts. I look down at the 2 O'clock rush on the street and wonder what she would be doing. Maybe she had a job somewhere and was going out to lunch. Stop thinking about that girl, Yanju. She has been nothing but nasty to you since you met her. My mind warns me. Mind. I know I shouldn't even remember her let alone think of her every time but she has wormed her way into my hea-. My mind. My MIND.
~||~~||~>>

1 Like

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 8:07am On Oct 06, 2019
Simi Pedro
It's been a week since my fall out with Jefferson. I have not been able to go back to his place for my phone and my purse because I can't quite face him yet. Besides, I haven't quite prepared my little speech. I guess a part of me still wishes Jeff is in love with me. That everything was all a mix up. That he didn't clean out my bank account. That he is somewhere pining away for me in a room that would of course be messy because he is letting himself go and can’t go on without me. That he didn't have a girlfriend. No, a fiancée. A very pregnant one. Oh, who am I kidding?!'
I finally agreed to stay with Tola after so many intense 'sessions of persuasion from her'. So, I went to my house to grab some extra stuff. I have been bored to my teeth since I started staying at Tola's place. Tola is a radio presenter at lyrics fm. She is always on on Saturdays by 7pm. You can always hear her soft voice talking about women and relationships. She is pretty popular. Let me say her voice is really popular. The salary is not enough to keep body and soul together, so, she has another job, Monday through Friday, which keeps her very busy. I'm envious. I wish I could get it together like her. A job she is passionate about; a fairy tale relationship. She always warns me but I never listen. I guess it hadn't dawned on me that she was a professional in relationships who was in a beautiful relationship of nine years. Maybe I’ll listen to her more. Today is Saturday and it is 6pm, so, she is getting ready. She is wearing an army green blouse over deep blue jeans and has managed to tame her dreads into some kind of bun. "Where is my purse?" She asks frantically. "It is on the dining table." I reply from my vantage point on the bed. "Thanks." She breathes. "What would I do without you?" She asks, rhetorically and flounces out. Few minutes later, she reappears holding the door jamb leaning diagonally, one leg off the ground, head and neck visible. "See you tomorrow. I got new movies for you so you don't get bored. Make sure you check out the jobinnigeria.com website."
"I will." I reply. "Drive safe." I add after a few minutes but she is already gone.
Now that she is gone, I don’t know what to do with my time. I stare at the ceiling for a few minutes but then I get bored. As we all know how Lekki's power supply is.... We had exhausted Tola's inverter the previous night. I stand up and go to the back to switch Tola's generator on but then I find it a bit tricky so I go in search of the gateman. Maybe he would help me switch it on. I simply cannot bear the boredom. I don't care to replace the fuel even at 200 naira per liter-black market- with my nonexistent fund. I just simply can't bear the silence anymore. I walk to his small one room apartment and knock but no response. Of course he isn't at the back since I am just coming from there and didn't see him so I do the next best thing. I walk out of the compound to check if he is on the street nearby only for me to find myself in front of Jeff and his fiancée. I glance at her belly and gulp. I don't even know what to say. I haven't spoken with him or seen him since I got the alert. I am not quite ready to face him yet. Jeff looks gobsmacked but his fiancée is just smiling at me. This moment, right here and now? I think I develop a heart condition.

~||~~||~>>

2 Likes

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Missmossy(f): 12:07pm On Oct 06, 2019
Frequent updates please embarassed such an enthralling piece!!
Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by millieademi: 8:05am On Oct 07, 2019
Hi, you have an amazing story going on here. I'm in love with it. Please update soon.kisskisskisskisskiss

P.S. IT'S REALLY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 7:42am On Oct 11, 2019
Yanju Peters
I have been thinking of Simi too much this past week. Sometimes, I find myself driving around the area I picked her up. Yes, I know. I should have just gone to Tola's place. No, I'm not going there. It would be too obvious I was looking for her if I did but if I 'happen’ to come across her on the road, no one would suspect anything. I'm becoming pathetic over a girl that wouldn't give me the time of day. Sometimes, I find myself staring at my reflection, trying to see what puts her off. Honestly, I like her a lot. I don't know why I would meet someone and just feel like that. I have never been in this position before. Partly because I'm a ladies' man. Ladies love me- no joke. Besides, I always had eyes only for Oyin who is my first love. She is the daughter of a very good friend of my mother, so, we practically grew up together. When we first started dating, both our mothers were very happy but then we were on and off for so long that their hearts got broken. They gave up on us. Even when we were on, they always knew there was an imminent 'off' period and they were not disappointed. I know I'm very easy on the eyes and I'm able to take care of a lady especially my own- very much. I may be a bit of a workaholic but I'm also fun. I have never met any woman that would make me doubt myself as Simi makes me but I can't help it. I'm drawn to her. Look at me. I'm in the middle of a meeting with my personal assistant and few investor sourcers working for me but I have zoned out countless times thinking of Simi. "Sir, since we have completed the sales of the centre and started the renovations, I think we should start thinking of employing people." One of the directors tell me. "Yeah." I nod, absentmindedly. "I agree."
"Okay, sir. We will keep you posted."
"Thanks." I stand up and shake their hands. They all file out without my PA. She is standing by the door. I look at her inquiringly. "Why aren't you leaving?" She walks back to my desk and peers into my face.
"Boss, is anything wrong?"
"No. Why?"
"I could sense you were not in the meeting. At least not in spirit."
"Well, I wasn't." I shrug. "Hope you took down notes?" I ask.
“I have noticed your absentmindedness so much these past few days. Are you worried about the new investments?"
It is true I have been investing a lot in some new business- I start to think again but get jolted out of it by her.
"There you are again. Gone." She snaps her finger, startling me. "Sharon, I'm still your boss." I remind her.
"Trust me, I don't ever forget." She says, folds her arms and adopts a wet puppy look. "Hope you didn't forget about my leave?" She asks.
"Trust me, I didn't forget." I reply.
She rubs her hands together in delight. "Oh sweet." She beams. She swivels around in heels so tiny, they makes me wince and almost run Imole down with her belly as she leaves the office.
"Don't forget to keep everything simple and organized pending the time I get a temporary assistant." I call after her.
"You know I will!" She calls back.
Imole sits down and grins at me. Why is everyone in a good mood today?
"What's so funny?" I ask a bit irritated. No hopes of seeing Simi soon; my PA is getting a maternity leave indefinitely. Nothing is funny.
"I saw Tola today." He grins wider. "Really?" I ask trying to keep enthusiasm out of my voice. "Yeah. We chatted for a while before she was called back to work. She really is a likable person." He is still grinning. "Oh really? That's nice." I debate whether to ask of Simi. "We are hooking up again." He starts to tap my table with his fingers showing his excitement. "Of course, just as friends." He adds and frowns.
"So, did you see Simi?" I try to ask lightly.
"Nope." He replies. My heart drops into my abdomen. "Oh okay"
"Though we talked about her a lot." He continues. "Seems she is facing some bad break up." He says then adds after a while. "Besides, she needs a job. So, I suggested to Tola that we needed someone to replace your PA. Although, not in so many words. What with the animosity between you and her."
Some time during his utterances, my heart starts to climb back into my chest. I feel good all of a sudden. I'm ashamed of that 'part' of me but one can't help these feelings.... This explains why she has been mean to me. She is going through a bad break up. Somehow, I feel bad but not totally. I feel good too. "But now that I think of it, I think it's a bad idea..." Imole is still talking.
"No!" I screech in dismay. "It's a wonderful idea!" I exclaim. Imole raises his eyes at me. "You know me. I dread the process of hiring. I know Simi and I think she would be a great personal assistant. Thanks, Imole. You have made things easier for me." I try to wave it off like it is not a big deal but don't fool Imole a bit. He sags back into his chair and puts his hands together like in prayer.
"Hmm. Interesting."
~||~~||~>>

3 Likes

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 7:44am On Oct 11, 2019
I have full books (romance genre) on Okadabooks. Thanks for reading guys! Till next week. Ciao!
Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Ann2012(f): 1:28pm On Oct 15, 2019
Well done OP

1 Like

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 8:05pm On Oct 16, 2019
Thanks a lot, Ann2012!
Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Ayomideen(m): 11:22pm On Oct 16, 2019
Awesome story you've got going on here!
Well-done!
Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 9:27am On Oct 17, 2019
Thanks a lot, Ayomideen! grin [/color][color=#000000]smiley
Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 3:31am On Oct 19, 2019
Simi Pedro
"Errmm." Jeff is stuttering. I have a lot of things running through my mind but somehow my throat feels too tight for the words to come. I just keep staring alternatively between them. I haven't even told Tola that he took my company away from me too. I don't have the guts. I just told her that I needed the job experience. That I will let my uncles run the company till I'm able. If his fiancée smiles at me once more, I will throttle her. Lucky for her, she stops smiling but then says. "How have you been? You left your handbag the other day and your shoes which are very nice by the way." I nod and continue to stare as she turns to Jeff and continues. "Darling, this is the neighbor I told you about. The one I said came to welcome us to the neighborhood but then rushed out so suddenly. I was so scared." She turns to me and asks. "What happened? Did you get a bad news?"
"Not really." I say while giving Jeff a stare reeking of disgust.
"Eeyaa.." She says in pity but it is short-lived because she turns to Jeff and says. "Jefferson sweetie, we better head back. It feels like rain." True to that, it starts to drizzle. I turn back into the compound and walk back to Tola's apartment. I lie on the couch and stare till I fall asleep. I must have been physically drained because I don't wake up that day. I wake up the next day around 6:30am to Tola's shuffling feet at the door coupled with the intermittent shrilling of the doorbell. I didn't know people still used it. I call out to her that the door isn't locked. She rushes in, going straight into the bathroom, from where she calls out to me. "Simi, how was your night?! Hope you didn't miss me?" She asks, then, I hear her leave the bathroom. "Did you even sleep in this room at all?" I hear her open her closet. "So you were seeing movies all night?" She asks while struggling into something that must be a jean or something tight. "Hope you sha checked the website?" She asks, coming out of her room. True to what I thought, she is wearing a jean and an enormous Mickey Mouse shirt. It looks ridiculous, I can't help but giggle.
"Why are you laughing?" She asks, amused. I sit up and she gets a good look at my face.
"What happened to you?" She asks, worry chasing amusement away. She sits beside me.
"Nothing." I reply. "I'm fine."
"Didn't you get a suitable job? I told someone about a job opportunity and he promised me he would get back to me. Don't let this weigh you down." She says and moves in for a hug.
"I'm not worried about any job, Tola. Leave me alone." I say and push her away even though her statement about a possibility of a job has gotten my attention. "Oh." She says, petulantly. "Then what is the problem?"
"Nothing oooooo." I stress but then she gives me that look that I can't help but tell her. Honestly, I don't know why I didn't want to tell her because I always end up telling her stuff. I guess I'm still a bit sensitive about the issue. I was played big. She warned me but I fell for it anyways. "Okay. I saw Jeff."
"What? He came here? How dare he? I will have him arrested." She threatens, apparently feeling confronted. I roll my eyes.
"He didn't come here. I met him on the road." I explain. Tola is just too protective. "You went out?" Inquisitive too.
"Tola, I'm really not in the mood for all this." I reply, already feeling a headache coming on.
"Okay, so what did he say?" She asks.
"He said nothing. Leave it alone. I'm not ready to face him yet."
"Okay dear. There really is nothing you can do about it. There are several men out there breaking people's heart. The best revenge...."
"... is to dust your ass and get up." I complete and roll my eyes. "I got it the first time."
"Okay, then. So, get up." She stands up and tries unsuccessfully to pull me up. "I got a job interview for you and it looks good."
"Where? What position?" I ask, glad she brought the topic up again.
"As a PA. In a company Imole works at."
Why does that name ring a bell?
"Imole? Isn't that the guy we met at Radisson. Yanju's friend?!" I ask, clearly terrified of the prospect.
"Yeah?" She half asks.
"Does Yanju work there too?" I ask cautiously.
"I don't know." She replies.
"Ask him." I demand.
"Ask who?" She asks.
"Ask Imole." I clarify.
"Okay." She agrees and goes into the bedroom to pick up her phone, and I recline. I hear her talking in the bedroom. Soon, she comes out of it and says. "He works there. In fact, the vacancy is a post as his PA."
I sit right up.
"Never! It's not happening."
"Just relax now. What did the poor guy do to you self?"
"I can't relax. I'm not going there. That's final." Even as I make my decision, my heart starts to beat frantically. I'm having some weird feelings I don't want to examine. I think I come on a little stronger than I intended cause Tola replies with "Yes, mummy." I look at her and see she is laughing at me.
"Whatever." I roll my eyes.
"One day, you will tell me what really transpired between both of you." She says as she points at me and hits me with a magazine.
I flip her off.
~||~~||~>>

2 Likes

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by jenifer007: 10:58am On Oct 19, 2019
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Ann2012(f): 11:39am On Oct 19, 2019
Thanks for the update

Can Simi just confront Jeff once and for all, I'm not liking her keeping mute

1 Like

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 5:28pm On Oct 19, 2019
You're welcome, JenniferOO7 wink
Please, be patient, @Ann grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 12:36pm On Oct 26, 2019
Yanju Peters
"Imole, I thought you said Simi was coming for the interview. I don't see her anywhere." I'm in my office on the day of the interview. I have walked out of my office several times and seen almost fifty ladies in the waiting room but no Simi. Even a guy is there even though it was clearly stated that only ladies were wanted. I keep going to the waiting room to get a cup of water. Even my acting PA- Bimpe- is giving me weird looks. She knows I have a water dispenser in my office which is even better than the one I keep going to. I want to go out one more time to check if she is there but I can't. "Oh. I forgot to tell you. She changed her mind." Imole replies me like it is not a big deal. Maybe to him... "What?" "Yeah. She is not coming." He says dismissively. "Yanju, we need to talk about the new place. Maybe when I see you." I'm hearing his words but still processing his earlier statement. "I don't trust that Ken guy." He continues but I disconnect and stare for a minute. I hear a knock on the door and soon, my acting PA's head shows around my door. "People are waiting." She says. "Well, if they are going to be my personal assistant, they need to learn patience!" I snap out. Bimpe gives me a look that tells me quite clearly that she is glad her position is only temporary. "I will be out shortly." I amend. We made the vacancy so hush-hush that I thought we wouldn't even get up to five applicants but I can see almost fifty ladies. I don't know how these things get out. I walk back out to the waiting room and address them. There is a hush as I step in front of them. "I am sorry for keeping you guys waiting. We will begin shortly. Bimpe will call you and lead you in. Good luck." I say and smile while looking around. I watch the effect I have on them. Yeah. Still very well present. I'm glad I haven't lost my touch. One lady even goes as far as winking at me and I cross her off in my mind. I walk back into my office and call Imole in one last desperate attempt. "Why didn't she want to come?" I ask as soon as he picks. "Who?" He asks. Seriously? "Simi?" "I don't know. She probably doesn't want to subject herself to your ugly face for months." Imole ribs. "Yeah, bye." I say, absentmindedly as my mind runs through several reasons. The first interviewee is shown into my office by Bimpe and I get to work, temporarily putting her out of my mind. "I'm sorry about the delay." I say and gesture for her to sit. I bring her folder up on my Mac as soon as she tells me her ID number. We start the process and by the time the last person leaves, I am dog-tired. I fish out my phone from my pocket and check it. I have missed two calls from Imole. I remember vaguely that he was trying to tell me something about Ken. Ken is the manager in charge of my new gym. It's a state of the art gym with basketball court and the works. I'm sure it is the best in the country but if it is not, it would be close. I dial Imole's number. "Hello, Imole. You were telling me about Ken. What's up?" "Yeah, I don't trust him." He states simply. "Has he done anything?" I ask. "Nope. Not really. I'm watching him though. He seems dishonest to me." "You know he can't mess with me, Imole." "Yeah I know that but something doesn't feel right. You should pay more attention to that side of your business." He warns. "That's why I have you, Imole. You should help take care of that. You know I have a lot on my plate now. You are my Vice President." "Yeah, I am but only for your law firm. Your gym isn't in my job description." "You are also my buddy." "Yeah, well. That's why I'm going through all this. When are you leaving for Johannesburg?" He asks. "Friday." I'm traveling to Johannesburg to help a friend of my father, Mr. Mark. He was duped by some fraudsters. My father has been calling me incessantly to go and see him, and check out his documents maybe I would find a loophole that would help his case. So, I'm leaving the day after tomorrow. I don't know how long I am going to be but hopefully, it would be a short stay. I don't like to stay away from my babies- my companies- which brings me back to Imole. "Just manage the law firm and let Ken do his work. Leave him alone. When I get back, I'm going there straight for a surprise visit. I just hope to God for him that he isn't jeopardizing his position. You know I don't put people I can't trust in delicate positions such as his. Let him prove himself." "Okay, sir." "Imole?" I warn in a stern voice. I don't like it when Imole refers to me in deference and he knows it. "What? Kick ass in Johannesburg." He says and disconnects.
~||~~||~>>

2 Likes

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 12:50pm On Oct 26, 2019
Simi Pedro

Tola tried unsuccessfully to make me go for the interview on Wednesday. I can't imagine working for Yanju for even a day let alone a couple of months. She pestered me for hours for my reasons for not wanting to. What with the buoyant salary and the 'fine boss'. I had to feed her some bull about wanting a permanent job. Even I don't want to examine the reasons I don't want to work for him. He didn't really do anything. Maybe it's just because we met on a day I was at my lowest coupled with the fact that he has some similarities with Voldemort. Yeah, Tola has decided Jeff's name would not be said in her presence, so, we decided to call him him-that-must-not-be-named but then, we thought it was too long, so, we settled for Voldemort. Anyways, I didn't go for the interview that was day before yesterday but I have another one today, Friday. Anyone that knows me well enough knows I'm a perfume aficionado. So, when this offer came up as a sales clerk at a large perfume store in Omega mall. I jumped at it. Let's just say Omega mall is one of the most happening things in Lagos. It shows class. There are several tall buildings in it- most made from glass. You have to be a certain class for you to even think of going there. It is rumored that it belongs to a wealthy family in Lagos. Things are just so ridiculously expensive. On my twenty third birthday last year before my parents died, my mum took me to a restaurant in the mall. A bottle of coke was for one thousand five hundred naira. The same bottle I would get for a hundred box in Lagos traffic. As I said, ridiculous. But although ridiculous, it was well worth it, I felt like a princess. Even the napkin showed class. It was satin sky blue with omega printed in the middle and it smelled delicious. My mum said we were paying for the air-conditioning too. I remember her teasing me about being taken to a place like that when I get proposed to by the perfect guy. Who knew I was going to end up an orphan who was totally ruined by the 'perfect' guy? At least, now, I can make a joke of it. I finish up with my mascara and check the overall effect in the mirror. I know I look good. I take a selfie with my phone that I missed so much. Apparently, Jeff sent someone to drop my stuff off for me with the gateman. I go to Tola's wardrobe and steal her perfume- Beyoncé pulse. I sigh as I inhale. First thing I do if I get this job is to buy Tola and I some very cool perfume with my first paycheck. Which reminds me, I have to get going because the interview is for 9am and it's already… 7:28am?!
I stare at the clock in wonderful horror. Whatever that means… I grab my purse and glance at the mirror again. Then, I lock the door to the apartment and jump into my car. Yeah I picked it up at my place. It's a black Toyota Camry. My money was left intact in my wallet till the last kobo. Guess Jeff and his fiancée didn't share the same traits. I had almost 30k in my wallet. To think I was once a person that carried around such amount in my wallet just so. I laugh and shake my head as I turn away from Tola's street. Which reminds me, I must go and open another bank account today. I get to the mall at exactly 8:48am. I'm so glad I'm not late. I rush to the store and meet ten odd people already waiting. I sigh. Naija! {**} She hires me on the spot and tells me to start the next Monday. Apparently, the interviewer- a woman in her forties- knew my mother. Her name is Mrs Bolaji. She asked me about my surname and I told her who my parents were. Talk about a stroke of luck. It's true what they say. Jobs aren't really gotten by industry. They are gotten by sheer luck and long legs- both literally and figuratively. She tells me that she is the manager of the shop and met my mum during one of her visits to the store. She says my mum used to tell her about me and my love for perfumes. She says she is glad I'm here for the interview and that no one deserves the position more than I. I window shop as soon as it is over. I see a gym center next to the mall and walk inside. It seems new. Maybe, I will register there. I'm ecstatic I found my two very best hobbies- exercise and discussing perfumes- lying side by side. Makes life easier for me. I branch Guaranteed Trust Bank office to open an account- which goes smoothly- as soon as I finish sightseeing. In my happiness, I take a detour to Ocean house to get some really nice -albeit expensive- seafood. Funny how now, I think everything is expensive. Ocean house is a large roughly looking building with several enormous deep freezers where the elite of Lagos go to buy assorted catch-of-the-day sea food. I enter and look around. I select some Dungeness crab, clams, shrimp, scallops, squid, mussels, and fish for Cioppino. When Tola gets home, she would be getting a real treat. {**} "Hmm. Something smells good in here." I hear Tola say as she enters the apartment. Soon, she is in the kitchen, peeping over my shoulder. "Looks nice." "Thanks. How was your day?" I ask as I stir the chowder. "It was nice. You know..." She trails off and dumps her bag on the dinette. Then she sits rubbing her feet. "So, what is the occasion?" I turn from the pot- serving spoon in hand- and grin. "I got the job!" I announce, excitedly. "You got the job?" She asks, surprised. "Why are you surprised? Didn't you even think I could?" I ask. I feel a bit hurt cause of her lack of faith in me. "No. Oh my God, no. I just... You know how Nigeria is." She stands up and walks over to hug me. "I'm sorry! I'm so happy for you dear! This really calls for a huge celebration." She walks over to her refrigerator and grabs the wine she had been warning me not to touch. She revealed to me during one of my sessions that she had been keeping it for months for a special occasion. I feel better now that I think she thinks this is a special occasion. I look at the wine. It really looks expensive. "Tola, maybe we could just keep this wine for a while, you know. Maybe for a special occasion." Tola shakes her head like she wouldn't have any of it. "This is a special occasion. Now, go grab a flute." I squeal in delight and dart for two champagne flutes. Then, I remember that I need wine for the fish stew and tell her to pour some into the chowder.

~||~~||~>>

2 Likes

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Bibs56fan: 12:59pm On Oct 26, 2019
Yanju Peters
Today is Saturday. I'm just getting back from Johannesburg after three weeks. After three weeks of hard struggle, I'm glad I left Mr. Mark a happy man. His case was really a tough nail to hit. I thought Mr. Mark would know better than to sign a business agreement without prior perusal from his business lawyer or maybe even in his presence. The fraudsters brought him an 'idea' for fast money and he jumped at it. Let's just say he would never make such mistake again. They almost cost him his entire life savings. He told me he was glad my dad sent me; that he had never seen anyone so passionate about other people's lives. It's true especially when it comes to fraud. I just don't stand for fraudsters. I could spend my entire life trying to put one behind bars. Guess I am really passionate. I went through some intense lawyering to get the man his business back. I had so much of law that as soon as it was all done, I vowed not to go to my law firm for two days. I call my father as soon as I can and break the good news. He lets me know Mr. Mark already called him and that he is proud of me. I disconnect after some awkward gratitude and stuff. Now, I'm on my way to my gym. I bought a building next to Omega mall in Lekki few months ago and turned it into a gym. Omega mall actually belongs to my father which is why I jumped at the offer when I heard the next building was up for sale. It is complete with a swimming area, a basketball court and a spa. I park in the parking lot in front of it and slightly marvel at the huge difference from when I first saw it. I make a mental note to give Imole a raise. He did a really good job on the gym even though it wasn't in his job description. I was just at the background, following things from a corner. I walk inside and the newness hits my nostrils.
"Hello. How can I help you? Do you want to register for gym classes?" A lady I think is the receptionist asks me when I enter.
"No. I'm here to see Ken. The manager?" I reply.
"Oh. I will see if he is available." She picks up the land line and cradles it under her chin as she dials Ken's office. "Sorry. What is your name sir?" She asks.
"Yanju." I reply. "Okay." She says and talks to the other person on the line for a while.
"Thanks." I mouth and she nods at me. I turn and survey the surroundings. She calls my attention and says Ken will be right out. She looks surprised that Ken didn't just tell her to direct me to his office.
"Mr. Peters!" Ken calls as he gets to the lobby. Ken is a stout guy with bulging muscles and is very fair in complexion. "I'm so happy to see you, sir." He is saying.
"I'm happy to see you too, Ken." I shake his hand. Ken turns to the receptionist and raises his eyebrow at her meaningfully. She doesn't seem to understand what he is trying to tell her but she stands up all the same. I for one think she is astute. I like her already.
"Cynthia, this is the Boss, Mr. Yanju Peters." He chides her like she is supposed to know me when I never showed my face.
"Oh!" She says, pink suffusing her cheeks. "I'm so sorry, sir." She has left her desk and is walking towards us. "It is a pleasure to meet you, sir."
"Same here. Cynthia, relax." I tell her and smile at her. More pink suffuses her cheeks. "You can go back to your desk now." She does after thanking me a dozen times. I don't understand why.
"Sir, would you like a tour of the place?" Ken asks.
"Yes, I would love one." He takes me to his office, the lounge, the shower, the restroom area and then the actual exercise room where I notice a few people sweating away. I'm about to turn and follow him out when I notice someone in a corner being instructed by a male gym instructor. My heartbeat stops when I realize it is Oluwadarasimi.
"What are you doing?!" I shout before I can stop myself. The instructor is helping her get in some kind of locked embrace that must be hurting the eyes of people around them. I know it is hurting mine. "When did I start running a brothel?!" I ask again out of fury. Or maybe jealousy. I don't know.
"Yanju?" She groans out under the guy. For one, I'm glad she remembers my name.
"Yeah?" I half-ask. The gym instructor jumps up and moves away. Maybe he thinks I'm a jealous husband or something. I sure do look like one.
"What are you doing here and why are you shouting?" She asks me and stands up.
"What?!" I ask, unbelievingly. Why is she behaving like I didn't just see her practicing some, some obscene movement with that, that, that guy?!
She stares at me for a second and grabs a small towel with which she wipes her face and neck. "Please mind your business." She says to me and grins, and I can't help but grin back.
"How have you been?" I remember the first day I met her.
"Good. You should register. This is really a nice place. Good equipment; great instructors." Ken is grinning widely just off to the corner.
"Yeah well I can see how great the instructors are." I say, sarcastically.
"Get over it. It's a Cat-cow." She says and rolls her eyes.
"Cat what?" I ask, rhetorically. I turn to Ken and tell him I don't want cat cow style in my gym but then he looks confused and asks me if he should strike off happy baby, open-leg rocker and down dog too. By the time he finishes asking, my head starts to hurt too along with my eyes. Simi scoffs and rolls her eyes.
"Who do you think you are telling them what to strike off the program?" She asks.
"It is my gym." I answer simply, still staring at Ken.
"Oh, really? Wow. Nice." I turn back to her and meet her stretching her feet apart as widely as humanly possible and then she bends. Doesn't she know what she is doing to me?
"Thanks. Why didn't you come for the interview, Simi?" I manage to ask.
She straightens and looks at me for a few seconds before replying. "I wasn't interested." She says and assumes another position. I watch as sweat drop from her eyebrow. I can't believe I still find her goddamn attractive looking all sweaty with not an inch of make up on. In fact, my body is all wound up and all I'm thinking about is snatching her up and making wild passionate love to her. What is this woman doing to me? The position I met her earlier isn't helping my imagination a bit. She must have read my thoughts on my face because she sucks in her lower lip-God help me- and starts to shift uncomfortably. She pushes an imaginary lock of hair behind her ear and looks down. Freaking cute.
"You don't like attorneys, huh?" I can't help but tease.
"I'm indifferent. Just wasn't interested in the job." She shrugs.
"Okay. So what are you doing now?" I ask, truly concerned.
"I work as a sales clerk in a perfume store in Omega." She says and grins widely.
"Really? Interesting." I smile a full blown smile. I can't help it. There is only one perfume store in Omega and it is mine. When my father started the mall, he gave me a building to myself and I turned it into a perfume store because of my love for them. I had some money from my savings as a lawyer then, when I was still working under a firm that represented oil companies. I remember I need to see Mrs. Bolaji, the manager of the store. Sales have been drastically dropping these past few months. I make up my mind more firmly to really start playing close attention to other businesses I run- not only my law firm. "I hope it wasn't because of me you didn't come for the interview because you got a job working for me on a more permanent basis." I say and smile with satisfaction as I see confusion give way to realization then disbelief on her face and something snaps in me. I want her more.
Even the universe agrees.
~||~~||~>>
Please, run to OKADABOOKS to get my novels. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!

4 Likes

Re: Simi's Resolve (A New Romance Series) by Ann2012(f): 3:43pm On Oct 26, 2019
So so interesting

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

MARY EHIABHI: How To Make Six Figure Monthly Income With Peace Of Mind (EBOOK) / I Have A Crush On Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie / Beware Of What You Eat- A Short Story By Avatarmode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 244
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.