Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,808 members, 7,813,654 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

Origin Of The Word 'owanbe' - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Word 'owanbe' (2077 Views)

The Authentic Origin Of Man And The Universe. / The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State / Origin Of The Name Bello?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Origin Of The Word 'owanbe' by Pearlyakin(m): 9:22pm On Sep 09, 2019
So i was surfing through the Internet and i came across this post on a certain Yoruba Facebook and i decided to share it here so we can all learn and be informed about the Viral word called Owanbe.

The popular word used mostly to describe lavish parties among the Yorubas was coined from a slang in the 60s.
It has always been a belief that no beautiful Yoruba woman's beauty accessories were complete without the Ilẹkẹ (waist beads).
Yoruba men mostly look out to have a feel of these beads around the women's waists whenever they dance with them at the party.
The moment any man felt the beads with his hand placed around the woman's waist while dancing, he would look in the direction of his fellow men and they would ask in unison, "Ṣowanbẹ?" (Is it there?), he would reply "Owanbẹ" (It's there).
That was how 'Owanbẹ' became a slang to describe parties where beautiful and sociable women attend until it covers all Yoruba social events till date.

Re: Origin Of The Word 'owanbe' by ImperialYoruba: 10:14pm On Sep 09, 2019
Eehhn.. so men have been tapping current a long time. Touching women waist to feel her Ileke.

Thank you OP. How about soyoyo, where did it come from? I was told that was olosho back in 60s. grin

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word 'owanbe' by baby124: 4:57am On Sep 10, 2019
ImperialYoruba:
Eehhn.. so men have been tapping current a long time. Touching women waist to feel her Ileke.

Thank you OP. How about soyoyo, where did it come from? I was told that was olosho back in 60s. grin
Soyoyo is a slang for beautiful, succulent and yellow women.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word 'owanbe' by baby124: 4:59am On Sep 10, 2019
Pearlyakin:
So i was surfing through the Internet and i came across this post on a certain Yoruba Facebook and i decided to share it here so we can all learn and be informed about the Viral word called Owanbe.

The popular word used mostly to describe lavish parties among the Yorubas was coined from a slang in the 60s.
It has always been a belief that no beautiful Yoruba woman's beauty accessories were complete without the Ilẹkẹ (waist beads).
Yoruba men mostly look out to have a feel of these beads around the women's waists whenever they dance with them at the party.
The moment any man felt the beads with his hand placed around the woman's waist while dancing, he would look in the direction of his fellow men and they would ask in unison, "Ṣowanbẹ?" (Is it there?), he would reply "Owanbẹ" (It's there).
That was how 'Owanbẹ' became a slang to describe parties where beautiful and sociable women attend until it covers all Yoruba social events till date.
As an original Eko girl where Owanbe came from. It means that there is plenty food, drinks, entertainment and lively people at a party. Has absolutely nothing to do with Ileke Idi. Like if you are famous, and known on the party scene people will ask “ Nje PearlyAkin Wa ni be” the response will be “ O wan be” wink

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word 'owanbe' by babyfaceafrica: 9:02am On Sep 10, 2019
baby124:

As an original Eko girl where Owanbe came from. It means that there is plenty food, drinks, entertainment and lively people at a party. Has absolutely nothing to do with Ileke Idi. Like if you are famous, and known on the party scene people will ask “ Nje PearlyAkin Wa ni be” the response will be “ O wan be” wink
your angle makes sense pass OP own

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word 'owanbe' by ImperialYoruba: 2:51am On Sep 11, 2019
baby124:

ahh my sister, so is olosho not succulent and yellow?

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word 'owanbe' by baby124: 3:04am On Sep 11, 2019
ImperialYoruba:

ahh my sister, so is olosho not succulent and yellow?
Olosho comes in all shapes, complexion and sizes.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word 'owanbe' by bluke(m): 3:52am On Sep 11, 2019
baby124:

for those that bleached their skin.

soyoyo, adiye abolorun (the chicken that lost its neck feathers)
Re: Origin Of The Word 'owanbe' by baby124: 10:07am On Sep 11, 2019
bluke:

for those that bleached their skin.

soyoyo, adiye abolorun (the chicken that lost its neck feathers)
Not true. It just means yellow or light skinned beauty. Just like Adunmaradan is dark skinned beauty. Did the dark skin rub charcoal? Not every yellow person bleaches.
Re: Origin Of The Word 'owanbe' by bluke(m): 4:25pm On Sep 12, 2019
baby124:

Not true. It just means yellow or light skinned beauty. Just like Adunmaradan is dark skinned beauty. Did the dark skin rub charcoal? Not every yellow person bleaches.
ment.

its usually used in the negative form -- adiye abolorun (the chicken that lost the feathers around its neck with black spots around it).
that explains the women with such skin - the fanta coke type.

adumaadan is black and shine, no cream or discolouration.
Re: Origin Of The Word 'owanbe' by googi: 1:08am On Sep 15, 2019
bluke:

ment.

its usually used in the negative form -- adiye abolorun (the chicken that lost the feathers around its neck with black spots around it).
that explains the women with such skin - the fanta coke type.

adumaadan is black and shine, no cream or discolouration.

Sorry my dear Sista, bluke is right.
Re: Origin Of The Word 'owanbe' by googi: 2:43pm On Sep 15, 2019
baby124:

Thanks for that input. People just come on internet and write whatever they want.

Owambe was a slang that went with many things including your explanation.

Actually, you do not have to feel ileke, you can see them openly displayed on top of clothes on the waist.

Even Edie Okonta sang: Pele oju e o etike, ibadi e o ayakata!
Re: Origin Of The Word 'owanbe' by etrouble: 6:48pm On Sep 10, 2022
OWAMBE

(1) (Reply)

Paul Kagame Opportunist Or Psycho? / Meet Dr Official The Professional Contortionists / Traditional Marriage In Aro Kingdom And Its Various Stages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.