Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,360 members, 7,815,766 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine (1880 Views)

MY TOYOTA Corrola Give Strange Sound After Servicing Up Till This Moment / I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound / My Car Won't Turn Off After Removing The Key (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by VaselineCrew: 3:24am On Sep 10, 2019
A mechanic helpled me fox an oil seal between the engine and transmission. The engine had to be removed to do this job.

Now it sounds like the car has a knocking grinding sound. Could it be cause of the work he did or unrelated? Please help me, posting pics of the job below.

Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by NwaAmaikpe: 4:24am On Sep 10, 2019
shocked

Use your Vaseline on it.
It is friction.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by jodeci(m): 4:27am On Sep 10, 2019
The sound will stop,check your oil level and probably service the car,I guess the noise could be from the tappets.
Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by EgunMogaji2: 5:57am On Sep 10, 2019
The part is called rear main oil seal.

Take the car to a mechanic to figure out the sound.

Good luck.
Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by TRYGO(m): 7:40am On Sep 10, 2019
The job he did isn't related to the noise surfacing right now.

Looking at the location where the O Deal was removed, you can see some form of gunk in there.

This should further tel you that you may have not being replacing your oil as at when due, or you're using conventional engine oil, that you take loooog time to have it replaced.

Appears you've a lot of sludge in the engine.

Y not take sometime to flush that engine up? Do a drain and refill, after replacing the oil.

You could also used oil treatment, to see how it goes.

Regards,
Joseph (08066643532:call/WhatsApp)
DW Nig Ltd
Isolo
Lagos

2 Likes

Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by VaselineCrew: 10:56am On Sep 12, 2019
jodeci:
The sound will stop,check your oil level and probably service the car,I guess the noise could be from the tappets.
The sound did not stop on it’s own ooo
Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by VaselineCrew: 10:57am On Sep 12, 2019
EgunMogaji2:
The part is called rear main oil seal.

Take the car to a mechanic to figure out the sound.

Good luck.

Thanks for the assistance bro

1 Like

Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by VaselineCrew: 10:58am On Sep 12, 2019
TRYGO:
The job he did isn't related to the noise surfacing right now.

Looking at the location where the O Deal was removed, you can see some form of gunk in there.

This should further tel you that you may have not being replacing your oil as at when due, or you're using conventional engine oil, that you take loooog time to have it replaced.

Appears you've a lot of sludge in the engine.

Y not take sometime to flush that engine up? Do a drain and refill, after replacing the oil.

You could also used oil treatment, to see how it goes.

Regards,
DW Nig Ltd
Isolo
Lagos

Yo, this was the problem, sludge.

However, I wonder why the knocking just started as soon as the mechanic returned the car to me after fixing the oil seal.
Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by VaselineCrew: 11:03am On Sep 12, 2019
For anyone who cares to know, the problem was sludge that had clogged up the oil pump screen.

So we had to drop the oil sump and clear sludge from there, then we cleared the sludge from the screen as well. Coupled everything back, drove a bit and did the process all over again.

Then we added some new oil.

I change my oil every 6 to 7 months with Total quartz 20w 50, but I guess the frequency is too low with such a heavy oil.

I am really scared of flushing my engine, as I heard the sludge could clog up some narrow passage ways in there.

So I’m going to increase the frequency of my oil changes to every 2 months with the same oil and then drop the oil sump to clean the oil pump screen every 3 months, I think that would be a safer way to get rid of the excess sludge in the engine.

Thanks for all your inputs and have a blessed day.

1 Like

Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by oneman11(m): 1:46pm On Sep 12, 2019
I had a similar experience of recent. Culprit was the kick starter
Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by kingreign(m): 6:15pm On Sep 12, 2019
VaselineCrew:
For anyone who cares to know, the problem was sludge that had clogged up the oil pump screen.

So we had to drop the oil sump and clear sludge from there, then we cleared the sludge from the screen as well. Coupled everything back, drove a bit and did the process all over again.

I change my oil every 6 to 7 months with Total quartz 20w 50, but I guess the frequency is too low with such a heavy oil

I am really scared of flushing my engine, as I heard the sludge could clog up some narrow passage ways in there.

So I’m going to increase the frequency of my oil changes to every 2 months with the same oil and then drop the oil sump to clean the oil pump screen every 3 months, I think that would be a safer way to get rid of the excess sludge in the engine.

shocked shocked shocked

Gazzuzz, Eddee, Nurey.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:20pm On Sep 12, 2019
VaselineCrew:

I change my oil every 6 to 7 months with Total quartz 20w 50, but I guess the frequency is too low with such a heavy oil.

Your current engine will not make it to Christmas.

You will replace it, and also destroy the next one. It's not ekpe it's just a pattern due to oil change duration and engine oil type.
Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by Fentanyl: 6:23pm On Sep 12, 2019
kingregn:

shocked shocked shocked

Gzzuzz, Edde, Nurey.

smh

what is the difference between you and a motor park tout that would call his fellow touts once they think they have seen somebody they can intimidate and harass

instead of you to post something useful you're raising alarm like a market woman selling dried fish

and you are an elderly man

act your age

2 Likes

Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by kingreign(m): 6:39pm On Sep 12, 2019
Fentanyl:

smh

what is the difference between you and a motor park tout that would call his fellow touts once they think they have seen somebody they can intimidate and harass

instead of you to post something useful you're raising alarm like a market woman selling dried fish

act your age

What's your problem? I guess you're depressed or tired of your failed life?
The fact that I saw something strange and scary and called my friends should not be your problem.
Arsewipe
Better swerve enter bush jare. Rubbish and ingredients.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by Koolwilly(m): 6:47pm On Sep 12, 2019
Fentanyl:

smh

act your age
Why you have to open a new account to Type this nonsense??

3 Likes

Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by Eddee(m): 8:25pm On Sep 12, 2019
kingreign:

shocked shocked shocked

Gazzuzz.zz, Edd.ee, Nu.rey.

This one is strong

1 Like

Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by TRYGO(m): 10:08pm On Sep 12, 2019
Just calmed down. You don't need to be in a panic.
Carry out the suggestions below, you'd get that engine sorted out.

Y do you have to drain that oil every two months just because you intended to have the oil pump cleaned?

Its waste of resources, and that might increase problems for you, since you'd be loosing and tightening bolts and nuts more often?

I thought you said the engine was ringed?

Didn't your mechanic wash up all the internals of the engine while rebuilding, or you just asked him to only replaced the rings and allowed the engine like that?

This is what you'd do:
1. as long as you've already cleaned up the strainer already, don't opened up the sump again.

2. Since you're using conventional oil, your suggestions of replacing the engine oil every two to three months is cool.

3. Why you had the sludge development was because of the prolonged oil change interval on that oil.

Using such oils at that interval is a disaster waiting to happened, as long as you don't used high mileage synthetic oil, that's in the range of #18-20k.

4. Once your oil is due for change, add s can of engine flush, mixed with the one you want to change.

Allowed the engine to idle for 3min, then drain.
Do so every oil change for three tines or how capable you can, then discontinue.

I sure really hope this short piece of advice, would helped you sort the problem out.

Regards,
DW Nig Ltd
Isolo,
Lagos
Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by VaselineCrew: 1:41pm On Sep 13, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

Your current engine will not make it to Christmas.

You will replace it, and also destroy the next one. It's not ekpe it's just a pattern due to oil change duration and engine oil type.

Haba gazzuzz, why will you want to swear for me na?

My Engine will survive 10 more years in Jesus name, but by then I would be riding in a newer car in Jesus mighty name, amen!!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by VaselineCrew: 1:50pm On Sep 13, 2019
TRYGO:

Just calmed down. You don't need to be in a panic.
Carry out the suggestions below, you'd get that engine sorted out.

Y do you have to drain that oil every two months just because you intended to have the oil pump cleaned?

Its waste of resources, and that might increase problems for you, since you'd be loosing and tightening bolts and nuts more often?

I thought you said the engine was ringed?

Didn't your mechanic wash up all the internals of the engine while rebuilding, or you just asked him to only replaced the rings and allowed the engine like that?

This is what you'd do:
1. as long as you've already cleaned up the strainer already, don't opened up the sump again.

2. Since you're using conventional oil, your suggestions of replacing the engine oil every two to three months is cool.

3. Why you had the sludge development was because of the prolonged oil change interval on that oil.

Using such oils at that interval is a disaster waiting to happened, as long as you don't used high mileage synthetic oil, that's in the range of #18-20k.

4. Once your oil is due for change, add s can of engine flush, mixed with the one you want to change.

Allowed the engine to idle for 3min, then drain.
Do so every oil change for three tines or how capable you can, then discontinue.

I sure really hope this short piece of advice, would helped you sort the problem out.

Regards,
DW Nig Ltd
Isolo,
Lagos

Thanks again for your detailed response.

I didn’t tell him to open and wash the engine cause I do not want anyone messing with my engine, since I’ve never opened it before to do anything to it.

I have added flush before but I said I wouldn’t do it again after I read some suggestions that if you flush you car, you may be unlucky to have some of the sludge clog some parts of the engine. I mean not everyone who flushes will be unlucky, but I heard a few maybe unlucky and I don’t want to be the unlucky one.

Why can’t I open up the sump again? What damage do you think I can cause my doing this?

I just figured that if I change my oil every two months, I can drop the sump and clean it, since some sludge would have fallen down from the engine.

Please tell me why dropping the sump is a bad idea.
Re: Please Help! Car Knocking Sound After Removing Engine by TRYGO(m): 2:24pm On Sep 13, 2019
Yeah, its not pretty much bad, but the problems is you're putting in more torques on those bolts and nuts you maybe removing every months or so. There'd come a time when the threads on the sump, would get worn out, without your Knowledge, and that way, you start getting oil shortages and all that.

So how long do you want to continue doing that?

Putting in the engine flush, has no risks as you may have believed.

As you idling the engine for 3-4min as I stated earlier on, any sludge remaining in the engine, with time, should have settled in the oil sump.

The bimonthly oil change regime you've designed, would get those out of the engine.

Think about the costs in sealants, petrol to wash those parts, labour for the mechanic, and your time.

Its way much, and I think does not make any economic sense to me here.

So y not stick with the suggestions I have proffered above?

Your car should still last a very long time, if you stick with the oil change intervals, you've opted for.

PS: Pls never you use the engine flush to drive the car around.
The ones available for I think #700naira are not designed to used with the vehicle in motion.

Regards,
Joseph (08066643532:calls: WhatsApp)
DW Nig Ltd
Isolo
Lagos

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Most Luxurious & Safest Keke Napep You Will Ever Find In Nigeria.photos / Fuel Economy; 2005 C320 4matic Journey From Asaba To Lagos / Is This A Car, Helicopter Or Boat.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.