Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,830 members, 7,817,424 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:03 PM

Nanowrimo (national Novel Writing Month) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nanowrimo (national Novel Writing Month) (749 Views)

Lighthouse In Amazon (Complete Novel) / Nanowrimo Challenge / The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nanowrimo (national Novel Writing Month) by suprted(m): 11:31am On Oct 29, 2010
Anyone ever done this? Anyone want to. November is National Novel Writing Month. I believe the nation in question is the USA but we live in the internet age now so don't let that stop you.

Basically the goal is to write a novel (50k) in 30 days. I said I'd do it last year and see how time flies, its already November again.

Here is some info.

What is NaNoWriMo?

National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.

Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over painstaking craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.

Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.

As you spend November writing, you can draw comfort from the fact that, all around the world, other National Novel Writing Month participants are going through the same joys and sorrows of producing the Great Frantic Novel. Wrimos meet throughout the month to offer encouragement, commiseration, and—when the thing is done—the kind of raucous celebrations that tend to frighten animals and small children.

In 2009, we had over 165,000 participants. More than 30,000 of them crossed the 50K finish line by the midnight deadline, entering into the annals of NaNoWriMo superstardom forever. They started the month as auto mechanics, out-of-work actors, and middle school English teachers. They walked away novelists.

So, to recap:

What: Writing one 50,000-word novel from scratch in a month's time.

Who: You! We can't do this unless we have some other people trying it as well. Let's write laughably awful yet lengthy prose together.

Why: The reasons are endless! To actively participate in one of our era's most enchanting art forms! To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.

When: You can sign up anytime to add your name to the roster and browse the forums. Writing begins November 1. To be added to the official list of winners, you must reach the 50,000-word mark by November 30 at midnight. Once your novel has been verified by our web-based team of robotic word counters, the partying begins.

I plan to sign up this weekend. Anyone with me?

the site is www.nanowrimo.org go there to sign up or for more info.

PS. even if you dont sign up, i'm sure we could just follow the rules on here and do our own.
Re: Nanowrimo (national Novel Writing Month) by invisible2(m): 11:28pm On Oct 31, 2010
Am interested, and what a coincidence! I actually fixed November 30th as deadline to finish my own novel.
Re: Nanowrimo (national Novel Writing Month) by MyneWhite1(f): 5:19pm On Nov 02, 2010
I did this last year and doing it again. I didn't make the 50,000 but my next book started during that time.

All the best everyone.

(1) (Reply)

Coalition Of Youth Organisations Of Nigeria Holds Her First National Summit / Lukogun And The 4 Musketeers: A Program You Must Not Miss / Between Writers And Prizes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.