Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,235 members, 7,829,424 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study (17343 Views)

Best Medical Course To Study / The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? / What Is The Best Course To Study As A Science Student.? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by Angelfrost(m): 8:47am On Sep 14, 2019
peace0813:

No be only job alone dey make person go school o.

For most people, that is the main or sole motivating factor... That's why you have a lot of square pegs in round holes of Medicine, Pharmacy, Engineering, Nursing, Law, etc... This eventually leads to frustration, depression, and high suicide rates due to inability to graduate, or get fulfilling jobs post-graduating...

We need to teach and encourage young people to pursue their dreams... There are lots of Engineers and technicians counting money in banks, programmers and web design geniuses wasting away as physicians in hospitals, publicists dispensing drugs as pharmacists... This is a universal anomaly.

We have a long way to go as a nation in terms of proper tertiary education, skill acquisitions, and human development... We have terribly missed it.

3 Likes

Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by ekestic1976(f): 9:22am On Sep 14, 2019
You don't CONSIDER anything before choosing a course of study: it comes naturally, with you intuitively knowing that.
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by chiboy1116: 9:39am On Sep 14, 2019
felixmuyiwa:
If you don't study

Medicine, Nursing, MLS,
Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, and Computer Engineering.
Marketing,
law

Other courses is a scam in this country,

Education is a scam in this country

In fact, this country is a scam
most of these courses sef na scam . U no mention radiography.

1 Like

Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by banji1(m): 9:41am On Sep 14, 2019
Regardless of the course you choose, remember the most important is to have connections, or else you'll stay put in your parents house, broke, broken and "broked" grin

Are you a teacher?
Get FREE access to comprehensive lesson notes/plans for various subjects. Check my signature for details.
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by paix(m): 9:46am On Sep 14, 2019
MadCow1:
The only thing to consider is if you have money to finish school.

Everything else after that na connection. Bolaji wey read Animal Husbandry now na manager for Mobil.
Are you suggesting that there are no ANIMALS there?

1 Like

Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by Evidenx(m): 9:50am On Sep 14, 2019
FESTUS GET FIRST CLASS BUT HE NOR GET WORK... school na scam!!!

BILL GATES NA DROP OUT, BUT HE GET DOLLARS... school na scam!!!
.SCHOOL NA WETIN
.SCHOOL NA SCAM... YOU SAY WETIN SCHOOL NA SCAM..
#SINGING...
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by AgentNairaland(f): 10:01am On Sep 14, 2019
This is absolutely shit, where is the job in 9ja...

1 Like

Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by Roysnickz: 11:08am On Sep 14, 2019
Aguemma:
The course u study doesn't matter in Nigeria. After all, the current V. C of UNN is a graduate of "Soil Science ".
I sometimes wonder how you people arrive at certain conclusions. is a professor of 'Soil Science' not supposed to be university VC? are you sure you very well read the University Act it prohibit 'Soil Science' graduates from leading the university?
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by Roysnickz: 11:28am On Sep 14, 2019
Authority1o1:
Okay...

The afore-listed factors are the without doubt,part of the most important factors for course determination.Anyone who is aspiring to study any course is commended(or rather advised) to consider them.

But,in my humble opinion,the third factor should be placed above all.I would rather spend years seeking for admission to study my dream course than to dive into the school to study a course which I will never build my career on.

No.2 does not matter much because I have seen lawyers working with shevron and shells.
is a lawyer not supposed to work at those places you mentioned? the number to you talk about is very on point. the university is suppose to train ( impart skills in) prospective graduates. the demand for those are not the same. some skills are in higher demand than others... not forgetting that the university also train be be more valuable, exposé etc hence you perfectly fit into certain areas (not so highly skillful areas) other than your field of study. back to lawyers working in Shells and co, should we forbid lawyers in working in those companies, who then handle their legal matters? the Engineers? the truth of the matter is that should shell have only engineers as their staff then nothing can be done by the company. no production can take place by engineers alone

1 Like

Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by jay7(m): 11:41am On Sep 14, 2019
Aguemma:
The course u study doesn't matter in Nigeria. After all, the current V. C of UNN is a graduate of "Soil Science ".

So Soil Science is not a good course right? or you think it's easy to graduate from any field in the sciences.
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by jay7(m): 11:45am On Sep 14, 2019
MadCow1:

Everything else after that na connection. Bolaji wey read Animal Husbandry now na manager for Mobil.
I wonder how you people reason for your information a graduate of university of Ibadan is now a pharmacist in the U.S mind you his first degree is in Animal Science, second degree M.sc is in crop science and immediately he traveled out of the country he did some courses in pharmacy, been a science student is an advantage because you can easily switch field to even non science courses.

1 Like

Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by Godsknight(m): 11:47am On Sep 14, 2019
Aguemma:
former unilorin VC and current registrar of jamb studied Islamic studies
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by jay7(m): 11:49am On Sep 14, 2019
Godsknight:
former unilorin VC and current registrar of jamb studied Islamic studies
Are you minding them as if it is easy to study soil Science.
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by Setharry(m): 2:00pm On Sep 14, 2019
Guys please I have a question... Can I change my course with another jamb next year? Am asking cause of matriculation...

Is it possible to matriculate twice?, if not, then how do I go about changing my course to higher one in the same university, I really like the university cus of closeness to home...

Waiting for a reply from anyone...
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by Ajibade123(m): 2:11pm On Sep 14, 2019
cool though..... though we should try to have a skill too
see how to choose your career path
https://explicitsuccess.com/how-to-choose-a-career-path/
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by daevey(m): 3:01pm On Sep 14, 2019
Setharry:
Guys please I have a question... Can I change my course with another jamb next year? Am asking cause of matriculation...

Is it possible to matriculate twice?, if not, then how do I go about changing my course to higher one in the same university, I really like the university cus of closeness to home...

wait till the end of the semester, then u apply for change of course form and yeah, u can matric twice. change of course form in any university often start at the end of the 2 semesters in a school
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by Funkybabee(f): 3:32pm On Sep 14, 2019
I don't even know much about my course but I google the employment rate in naija before I chose it...

first thing to first consider, what is the employment rate, can I start my own and What's is my passion abt it
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by sogodihno: 4:24pm On Sep 14, 2019
jay7:

I wonder how you people reason for your information a graduate of university of Ibadan is now a pharmacist in the U.S mind you his first degree is in Animal Science, second degree M.sc is in crop science and immediately he traveled out of the country he did some courses in pharmacy, been a science student is an advantage because you can easily switch field to even non science courses.

Oga, stop lying, doing some courses in pharmacy doesn't make u a pharmacist, u only study pharmacy to become pharmacist, no shortcut. Get that.
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by oluwaseyi1759(m): 5:48pm On Sep 14, 2019
Pls I choose physiology to study in school,is it a good course in Nigeria?
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by aspirebig: 7:40pm On Sep 14, 2019
In Nigeria, just come with a good grade and know someone someone for job placement.
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by jrondit(m): 7:43pm On Sep 14, 2019
Grandlord:
Also, your personality.

If you don't like people and you're an introvert, don't choose courses that will get you to interact or deal with people.

For instance, don't choose law, medicine, public health, mass communication etc. Go for accounting, statistics or computer science.

Wish I knew this stuff ten years ago.
Are you an introvert?
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by frozen70(f): 10:23pm On Sep 14, 2019
embarassed
Designer123:
I am currently in 400L in a social science course. I'm thinking of going to Germany or Italy after my degree to study Computer science from 100L. Please i need advice.

You have a good plan, finish your present course, make sure you serve before going to Germany to study computer
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by Nobody: 7:38am On Sep 15, 2019
MadCow1:

Na connection you take enter total then?
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by Roysnickz: 9:12am On Sep 15, 2019
Setharry:

I really don't understand you. which course are you currently studying/given and which one is a higher one? For your information, no course is higher than another. They just have different applications and different opportunities.... For a change of course after matriculation, yes, it is very possible and you don't have to be matriculated twice. It however, depend on the university. Normally, various universities/faculties set their standards. You have to have a minimum CGPA at the end of your second semester result as set by the uni/faculty. Then you first enquiry from the department/course you want to change to, availability of chance and their willingness to accept you. Should the department agree to accept you, you then proceed and buy the change of course form from the academic unit. the price depend on the uni. You will have to fill the form and submit to your current department which will process your year one academic performance to your intending department and also sign you out of the department. They transfer process will be completed with your intending department signing you in/ accepting you. All you academic results in year one will be transfer to your new department and you don't you to repeat year one. You will be accepted in tear two However, if the course you did in year one are entirely different from the ones your new department takes in their 100 level am afraid you will have to repeat 100 level. it's so fortunate that year one course are almost common for science being it faculty medical science, engineering, pure and applied science, environmental or technology
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by Grandlord: 12:17pm On Sep 15, 2019
jrondit:
Are you an introvert?
I'm not introverted but I find people difficult to deal with.
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by jay7(m): 2:50pm On Sep 15, 2019
sogodihno:

Oga, stop lying, doing some courses in pharmacy doesn't make u a pharmacist, u only study pharmacy to become pharmacist, no shortcut. Get that.
To you I maybe lieng but take ur time to research well and maybe someday if you find yourself out of this country you will understand better, foreign education system is far different from what we have here in Nigeria after your first degree overseas you can switch discipline to some extent. Thanks
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by sogodihno: 2:58pm On Sep 15, 2019
jay7:

To you I maybe lieng but take ur time to research well and maybe someday if you find yourself out of this country you will understand better, foreign education system is far different from what we have here in Nigeria after your first degree overseas you can switch discipline to some extent. Thanks

It is not true, u can't be a pharmacist unless u go to pharmacy sch anywhere in the world, I am a pharmacist oga! So know who you are arguing with.
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by Setharry(m): 7:24pm On Sep 15, 2019
Roysnickz:
I really don't understand you. which course are you currently studying/given and which one is a higher one? For your information, no course is higher than another. They just have different applications and different opportunities.... For a change of course after matriculation, yes, it is very possible and you don't have to be matriculated twice. It however, depend on the university. Normally, various universities/faculties set their standards. You have to have a minimum CGPA at the end of your second semester result as set by the uni/faculty. Then you first enquiry from the department/course you want to change to, availability of chance and their willingness to accept you. Should the department agree to accept you, you then proceed and buy the change of course form from the academic unit. the price depend on the uni. You will have to fill the form and submit to your current department which will process your year one academic performance to your intending department and also sign you out of the department. They transfer process will be completed with your intending department signing you in/ accepting you. All you academic results in year one will be transfer to your new department and you don't you to repeat year one. You will be accepted in tear two However, if the course you did in year one are entirely different from the ones your new department takes in their 100 level am afraid you will have to repeat 100 level. it's so fortunate that year one course are almost common for science being it faculty medical science, engineering, pure and applied science, environmental or technology

If there are no higher courses, why is cutoff not all the same... Why are some greater than others... Let's stop deceiving ourselves and admit that some courses are higher than others... More respect is given to the higher ones and better job opportunities too... Thanks
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by Roysnickz: 9:35pm On Sep 15, 2019
Setharry:

If there are no higher courses, why is cutoff not all the same... Why are some greater than others... Let's stop deceiving ourselves and admit that some courses are higher than others... More respect is given to the higher ones and better job opportunities too... Thanks
Must you contribute on issues you don't know much about? So cut off mark is based on how high a course is? for your information again, no course is higher than another. Different courses have different applications and opportunities that's all. A high cut off for a particular course indicate high application for the course by applicants and not that the course is higher. some courses are very good but little is know about them hence the rate of applications are small which reflect in small cut off mark. take a course like MECHATRONICS ENGINEERING for example, you may not be that exposure to the applications of course to real life as well as how their future prospect, but I can assure you that the whole is going tech and in that direction. many aspiring students don't really stuffs like this hence they go more for other well known courses which have higher cut off mark. MECHATRONICS is a new course. much is not know about it. I don't know if you are aware that the projection is that by 2035 jets and airplanes will be auto piloting. Man will not need pilots again. Are you aware that self driven cars are already in the market? it means man will not need drivers in the future. What about doctors, Engineers, Architectures, Lawyers, Bankers etc are you not aware that technology is gradually putting all of those out of job. Very soon we will 5 doctors to man medical facilities that now man by 50 doctors and the rest of the services will be done by tech apps. That's Mechatronics. It's about Artificial Intelligence (AT). I was there for not surprised when I read Bill Gate's interview recently where in he said given the chance to go back to college again, he will like to major in any of artificial intelligence, Energy and one that I can't remember now
Re: What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study by jay7(m): 8:12am On Sep 17, 2019
sogodihno:

It is not true, u can't be a pharmacist unless u go to pharmacy sch anywhere in the world, I am a pharmacist oga! So know who you are arguing with.

There is know need dragging it bro but try and do more research an attach picx would help. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Strike: ASUU Postpones Branch Congress / Chosen Crown University Foundation At Mgbidi Imo, To Be Laid By Rochas Okorocha / University Of Ilorin Expels 13 Students For Misconducts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.