Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,713 members, 7,813,353 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:11 AM

Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? (1079 Views)

Saudi Arabia Is Fighting On The Side Of Israel? (photo) / Vladimir Putin: The Roar Of A Paper Tiger / World's Largest Plane Destroyed By Russian Strikes In Ukraine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by dermmy(m): 9:14pm On Sep 14, 2019
Saudi Arabia is world's biggest arms importer, a country that has unfettered access to western arms. This country has been carrying out military offensive on the Houtis in Yemen since 2015 and it has not yielded its desired result.

The Houthi rebels are becoming increasingly sophisticated in their attacks on Saudi targets targeting oil wells, airports and other critical infrastructures. The latest is the drone attack on Saudi Aramco the largest oil company that forms the backbone of Saudi Arabia's economy

Saudi possess one of the best air defence systems in the world, these are the list of Saudi Arabia's air defence systems.

17 Lockheed Martin AN/FPS-117 long-range phased array, 3-dimensional air search radar.

6 Northrop-Grumman AN/TPS-43 portable 3-dimensional tactical air search radar

Raytheon Improved HAWK air defense missile system.

Raytheon MIM-104 Patriot air defense missile system

Oerlikon Contraves Skyguard 35mm Twin Cannon Short Range air defense system

Lockheed Martin THAAD anti-ballistic missile defense system.

With all these sophisticated air defence systems why is the largest arms importer still vulnerable to drones and missiles launched by the Houthis?

Are these systems failing Saudi Arabia or its military do not have what it takes to operate these systems effectively?

Is this one of the reasons Turkey is taking the delivery of S-400 air defence system from Russia?

Efewestern kemicalreaction Appleyard Zoharariel mysticwarrior. You are all needed here.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Efewestern: 10:08pm On Sep 14, 2019
The Saudi army is one of the weakest in the world, their current battle with the Houthis has shown how useless "SOPHISTICATED" weapons can be in the hands of lazy, unmotivated, and highly undisciplined soldiers.

All they love doing is bombing schools, hospitals, kids and women. How can Houthi, a militia with a far inferior weapons withstand Saudi Arabia this long? How can a drone that's not stealth infiltrate Saudi territory, without any defense system taking it down?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by panafrican(m): 4:31am On Sep 15, 2019
The Saudis were busy funding terrorist groups in Africa ( Somalia, Mali, Niger, Libya etc) as usual.

3 Likes

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by dermmy(m): 7:38am On Sep 15, 2019
Efewestern:
The Saudi army is one of the weakest in the world, their current battle with the Houthis has shown how useless "SOPHISTICATED" weapons can be in the hands of lazy, unmotivated, and highly undisciplined soldiers.

All they love doing is bombing schools, hospitals, kids and women. How can Houthi, a militia with a far inferior weapons withstand Saudi Arabia this long? How can a drone that's not stealth infiltrate Saudi territory, without any defense system taking it down?

Yet some kids here would narrate how Saudi Arabia would take on Iran in the event of war between both countries. If Saudi Arabia couldn't detect and shoot down non stealth targets what would happen if an enemy launches missiles in their salvos? Those defence systems would be overwhelmed.

3 Likes

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Efewestern: 8:25am On Sep 15, 2019
dermmy:

Yet some kids here would narrate how Saudi Arabia would take on Iran in the event of war between both countries. If Saudi Arabia couldn't detect and shoot down non stealth targets what would happen if an enemy launches missiles in their salvos? Those defence systems would be overwhelmed.

... or perhaps these defense systems are overrated.

Saudi Arabia take on Iran? Even the Saudis know they won't survive a year if they make any mistake of engaging Iran. It's a common knowledge that the Saudi military is a very weak one, sophisticated weapons don't win wars, something we keep telling some of our people here who have been brainwashed by some movies.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by dermmy(m): 8:35am On Sep 15, 2019
Efewestern:

... or perhaps these defense systems are overrated

Saudi Arabia take on Iran? Even the Saudis know they won't survive a year if they make any mistake of engaging Iran. It's a common knowledge that the Saudi military is a very weak one, sophisticated weapons don't win wars, something we keep telling some of our people here who have been brainwashed by some movies.

I'll accept the fact that those systems are overrated. Saudi Arabia's military has to explain how 10 non-stealth drones were able to infiltrate their airspace without being detected or shot down by those systems. Were those guys watching the radars sleeping?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Efewestern: 8:39am On Sep 15, 2019
dermmy:

I'll accept the fact that those systems are overrated. Saudi Arabia has to explain how 10 non-stealth drones were able to infiltrate their airspace without being detected or shot down by those systems. Are those guys watching the radars sleeping?

Maybe they still don't understand how the system works tongue. Not a single drone was taken down, what a shame.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Sunnycliff(m): 9:46am On Sep 15, 2019
This news deserves FP but our mods are MIA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by seunny4lif(m): 11:49am On Sep 15, 2019
Its nothing new, that US junks anti-missile never worked
During the Gulf war, Saddam fired some missiles into Israel and Saudi, all those missiles hit there target and US most advance anti-missiles could not bring any of those missiles down.
Which leads to Israel to start making their own anti-rocket and anti-missile weapon.
The reason Saddam was defected in 2003 was that most Iraqis don't want Saddam again but the case is diff with Iranians.
If the Iranians don't want their leaders again, they can do it by themselves.
Iranians don't want bombs in their country because the experience of Iraq-Iran war is still fresh

3 Likes

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Sep 15, 2019
Thanks for the mention dermmy, I wanted to reply yesterday but angry angry sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Sep 15, 2019
Now back to the topic, the carnage was fvcking massive. It was rumored that Saudi Arabia's oil producing capacity has been cut by half to 5 million barrels per day. grin grin. I think they also lost up to 30 personnel in the attack. About 10 suicide drones and an unknown number of cruise missiles were used by the Houthis, I'm beginning to think Iran has a coordinated logistics with the Houthis shocked shocked shocked

Attached are the images of the carnage, including the satellite image shocked shocked shocked

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by dermmy(m): 1:07pm On Sep 15, 2019
kemicalreaction:
Now back to the topic, the carnage was fvcking massive. It was rumored that Saudi Arabia's oil producing capacity has been cut by half to 5 million barrels per day. grin grin. I think they also lost up to 30 personnel in the attack. About 10 suicide drones and an unknown number of cruise missiles were used by the Houthis, I'm beginning to think Iran has a coordinated logistics with the Houthis shocked shocked shocked

Attached are the images of the carnage, including the satellite image shocked shocked shocked

What happened to their air defence systems? Saudi Arabia didn't detect these drones let alone firing a single shot. Saudi Arabia is eyeing the S-400 though but like Efewestern has said "Sophisticated weapons are useless in the hands of lazy, unmotivated, and highly undisciplined soldiers" . grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Olanipekun1: 1:10pm On Sep 15, 2019
[s]
kemicalreaction:

[/s]
Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Olanipekun1: 1:18pm On Sep 15, 2019
[s]
kemicalreaction:
Thanks for the mention dermmy, I wanted to reply yesterday but angry angry sad
[/s]
Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 15, 2019
dermmy:

What happened to their air defence systems? Saudi Arabia didn't detect these drones let alone firing a single shot.
I don't think the problem is about the air defences. To think Saudi Arabia spent close to 80B USD on US weapons as the largest importer of arms tells a lot about the unprofessionality and inexperience of their service men, that's why I like the Persians. Though the Patriot might not be that effective, I believe it should be able to intercept some of the drones if not all. shocked shocked

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Sep 15, 2019
Olanipekun1:
[s][/s]
Guy, wetin I do you na. I collect your girl? angry angry

1 Like

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Olanipekun1: 1:51pm On Sep 15, 2019
[s]
kemicalreaction:
Guy, wetin I do you na. I collect your girl? angry angry
[/s]
you put mouth for nothing wey no concern you
Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Olanipekun1: 1:52pm On Sep 15, 2019
[s]
kemicalreaction:
I don't think the problem is about the air defences. To think Saudi Arabia spent close to 80B USD on US weapons as the largest importer of arms tells a lot about the unprofessionality and inexperience of their service men, that's why I like the Persians. Though the Patriot might not be that effective, I believe it should be able to intercept some of the drones if not all. shocked shocked
[/s]
Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Olominira(m): 2:49pm On Sep 15, 2019
Some powers somewhere are ready to burn down the middle east. Nigeria must be very careful at the moment especially with handling of shiite members. The entire world would pay for the effects on oil price, and moving of goods on their sea. If this doesn't eventually lead to ww3
Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Efewestern: 3:51pm On Sep 15, 2019
Olominira:
Some powers somewhere are ready to burn down the middle east. Nigeria must be very careful at the moment especially with handling of shiite members. The entire world would pay for the effects on oil price, and moving of goods on their sea. If this doesn't eventually lead to ww3

Nobody is trying to burn the middle east, if Saudi plays a peaceful role in the region, all this wouldn't have happened. The West is only cashing out from their stupidity, the Arabs are the cause of their problems.

You don't go about bombing kids and women and expect them not to fight back, this same Saudi Arabia was also the ones behind the last riots in Sudan. What a nation.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Valkrie: 4:03pm On Sep 15, 2019
Me think the Saudi military would perform better if given swords and matchets..!!

They are experts at chopping people head off...!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by dermmy(m): 4:19pm On Sep 15, 2019
Valkrie:
Me think the Saudi military would perform better if given swords and matchets..!!

They are experts at chopping people head off...!!

Lmao. grin
Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by QDubz(m): 7:12pm On Sep 15, 2019
Houthis ain't just militias

They are simply Iran proxy army, pushing the frontlines of the impending war farther away from Iran's borders

Right now Iran has Israel, Saudi in a very terrible strategic position

Houthi
Syria
Hezbollah
Iraq are being controlled by Iran and it proxy forces!!!

3 Likes

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by HarryDuce(m): 11:43am On Sep 16, 2019
The Saudis can acquire as many sophisticated weaponry as they please, but Iran will always have the upper hand in the region.
You can't engage militias with unmotivated soldiers.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by dermmy(m): 8:23am On Sep 18, 2019
HarryDuce:
The Saudis can acquire as many sophisticated weaponry as they please, but Iran will always have the upper hand in the region.
You can't engage militias with unmotivated soldiers.

That's it bro.
Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by tolexy007(m): 12:21pm On Sep 18, 2019
QDubz:
Houthis ain't just militias

They are simply Iran proxy army, pushing the frontlines of the impending war farther away from Iran's borders

Right now Iran has Israel, Saudi in a very terrible strategic position

Houthi
Syria
Hezbollah
Iraq are being controlled by Iran and it proxy forces!!!

keep israel out of ur propaganda discussion
Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Sep 18, 2019
[s]
tolexy007:

keep israel out of ur propaganda discussion
[/s] Not a propaganda wink

1 Like

Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Olanipekun1: 5:32pm On Sep 18, 2019
[s]
kemicalreaction:
[/s] Not a propaganda wink
Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 18, 2019
[s]
Olanipekun1:
[/s]
Re: Saudi Arabia: Is World's Largest Arms Importer A Paper Tiger? by Olanipekun1: 5:34pm On Sep 18, 2019

(1) (Reply)

Ukraine Vs Russia: Photo Of The Day / Russians To NATO: We Are Going To Target The Weapon Shipments To Ukraine / Russia Uses Hypersonic Missiles In Strike On Ukraine, Establishes No-fly Zone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.